What sports would you like to see in the Olympics

Australia
VIC/Australia
Commodoreben
Id like to see 20 20 Cricket, Darts and Ten Pin bowling added to the Olympics. What other sports would you like to see included?

This just in: The wishlists have overflowed and are spilling out of the GT5 Section!

Also, this is in the wrong forum. Rumble Strip > Sports

European Longsword Fencing.

Longsword fencing should be done with late medieval period armour and hand-and-a-half swords (nice compromise between single handed and two-handed swords; not as heavy as two handed swords, and don't need to be a freaking giant to effectively use one, but can still be used two-handed), no shield. Blades should be blunt of course, or perhaps even wooden. Double points awarded for hitting weak points in armour. Would be awesome, and a nice alternative to the fancy pants rapier and sabre fighting styles. :D

2961425038_4b38b66a81_z.jpg

Perhaps could also include an event with single-handed longsword and small shield as well.

That would be awesome! And with the summer temperatures in the UK, they would be more comfortable than the beach volleyball players :lol:

edit: In my opinion they should also revert to the dresscode of the ancient games. And make it a women only event. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I'm going to change this slightly and give some sports that shouldn't be in the Olympics.

I'm quite happy with events that are fastest, furthest, strongest, most goals or points wins etc., but any event that needs to be judged such as diving, dressage, and the prancing about the floor gymnastic events shouldn't be there.

I'm going to change this slightly and give some sports that shouldn't be in the Olympics.

I'm quite happy with events that are fastest, furthest, strongest, most goals or points wins etc., but any event that needs to be judged such as diving, dressage, and the prancing about the floor gymnastic events shouldn't be there.

Get rid of the Equestrian stuff too. And synchronized swimming. :D

Although synchronized swimming might be cool if the women used ancient Greek dress code like DustDriver suggested... 💡 :lol:

Rugby for one.

And then another where its a fight with an untamed bear, how ever many bears you tame in a given time is the winner. Also the area is surrounded in fire and all the competitor has is a loin cloth on. Something like that anyway :P

No cricket unless baseball comes back. :)

I want obstacle course races, 800m rifle, replace TKD with Karate, U23 basketball, jai alai, and tug of war.

I'd like baseball to come back, I don't really understand why it's not there anyway, there's a solid group (USA, Cuba, Mexico, Dominican Rep., Japan, and Canada) who are all legit contenders (well, Canada not so much but we'd be alright).

I'd also like to see American Football in the Olympics because it would be hilarious how much of a slaughter it would be :lol:

Rugby will be played at the next Olympics. 👍 As will golf. 👎

Hopefully we won't see cricket or baseball, ever. Would be nice to see Neg's urban sprinting.

Tug-of-war, Muay Thai replacing TKD, archery using traditional bows with no sights or counterweights and firing wooden arrows.

Jousting replacing showjumping, real equine cross-country replacing the namby-pamby current version and dressage.

Full-contact plate armour tournament, pick your period weapon of choice and get at it.

EDIT: Yes! Neg's urban sports please. My ball! my ball!

Spent about five minutes trying to figure out what the hell TKD meant, then realised it was martial arts, Tae-kwon-do.....

I felt stupid.

Skateboarding, Parkour, Street Luging, Dodgeball, Pugil Stick Fighting, Paintballing, Jousting. I also want to see the return of rope climbing and maybe tug of war :lol:

I'm sure more will come to me.

Well, technically the Baseball competition is called the "World Series" although by design (I suspect it is deliberate) that the competition has to be held in America kinda makes the "World Series" part moot.

Same for the American Football series. Although I wonder if there were teams outside of America who could play at the same level as the NFL standards, whether they could actually go and compete under their country's name and be a part of the NFL. And mix up the order.

I always wondered if Rugby players/teams could adapt to American football. I know its 2 completely different games, but Rugby players can throw long accurate balls and have pretty scintillating pace.

Example:

I think the Rugby Sevens players would suit American Football more, for the dude who need to run a lot around the field.

For the dude who need to have a good defence, the Rugby Union style of crushing the tackles would be good at that.

And Rugby League players for a general all round fitness and smashability.

Yes. Baseball has no real following outside of North America that I'm aware of and therefore it shouldn't be an Olympic sport in my opinion. Cricket is just plain boring.

Let's be honest, it would just be another easy gold for USA I'm sure.

Baseball has a massive following. Mainly Asia and North/Central/South America. It's only been a sport since '92. USA has only won one and bronze twice.

Baseball won't be back in the games for a long time, though. :indiff:

Rugby players would probably be able to adapt (except to the O-line, as I don't think there's many 6'5", 300lb rugby players), but it would take a lot of effort and time. American Football is a very technical game, Rugby players would definitely have the athletic skill and strength, but there is a lot of positioning, coaching, and technique that is crucial. If football were to be in the olympics, it'd be an absolute and ruthless slaughter by the American team. The only country that would have the slightest chance of not getting completely embarassed by the USA would be Canada, we have a solid pro football league here, and there's a big following of the NFL and CFL, but it'd still likely be at least a 3-4 TD spread for the USA, and would be a guaranteed gold. The USA could send 3 teams and win every medal easily.

As for baseball, it would certainly not be an instant gold. Mexico, Cuba, the Domincan Republic, Japan, and Canada would all be competitive (baseball people could help with this list). I would liken it to Olympic ice hockey, where Canada has the best team on paper, but don't always win. In baseball, the USA "should" win, and would have the "best" team, but any of the countries mentioned earlier could realistically win.

Dodgeball
Yes! Then I'd have even the faintest of chances of being an olympian :D It's an awesome spectator sport too.
There is a plan to try and get dodgeball into the Olympics within the next 16 years being put forward by the UKDBA. Nothing official yet though.

Back