What sports would you like to see in the Olympics

Rugby players would probably be able to adapt (except to the O-line, as I don't think there's many 6'5", 300lb rugby players), but it would take a lot of effort and time. American Football is a very technical game, Rugby players would definitely have the athletic skill and strength, but there is a lot of positioning, coaching, and technique that is crucial. If football were to be in the olympics, it'd be an absolute and ruthless slaughter by the American team. The only country that would have the slightest chance of not getting completely embarassed by the USA would be Canada, we have a solid pro football league here, and there's a big following of the NFL and CFL, but it'd still likely be at least a 3-4 TD spread for the USA, and would be a guaranteed gold. The USA could send 3 teams and win every medal easily.

As for baseball, it would certainly not be an instant gold. Mexico, Cuba, the Domincan Republic, Japan, and Canada would all be competitive (baseball people could help with this list). I would liken it to Olympic ice hockey, where Canada has the best team on paper, but don't always win. In baseball, the USA "should" win, and would have the "best" team, but any of the countries mentioned earlier could realistically win.

Most of the people in the CFL are Americans that couldn't hack it in the NFL. The only exception you've ever had was Cameron Wake (now a Dolphin. :D)

Football relies too heavily on the coaches for it to be an olympic sport. It's not feasible to play outside of a club system, and no football player in their right minds would submit their bodies to any more abuse than what is required by their club contracts.

Yes. Baseball has no real following outside of North America that I'm aware of and therefore it shouldn't be an Olympic sport in my opinion. Cricket is just plain boring.

Let's be honest, it would just be another easy gold for USA I'm sure.

Shows how much you know. :) Baseball is huge in Asia and Latin America. Just because you have a bunch of really good players doesn't mean you'll have the best team. See the Miami Marlins as an example. Japan, Korea, and Cuba have regularly beaten the States. Basically, every country that's represented in the MLB has a really good team they could send, and they'd all be more than capable of beating eachother.

Most of the people in the CFL are Americans that couldn't hack it in the NFL. The only exception you've ever had was Cameron Wake (now a Dolphin. :D)

Football relies too heavily on the coaches for it to be an olympic sport. It's not feasible to play outside of a club system, and no football player in their right minds would submit their bodies to any more abuse than what is required by their club contracts.

Yeah, I know the CFL is primarily ex-NCAA/NFL'ers, I was just saying that in a hypothetical Olympic football tournament (which I know isn't possible due to your second point about club teams), that Canada would be the only country who would be able to avoid complete and utter annihilation (maybe we could limit it to a rout :P)

I guess the only (again hypothetical) other consideration would be what rules to use. Maybe the IOC would be difficult and use CFL rules/field (hey, they don't use NHL sized rinks or rules for hockey in the winter olympics!). Although truthfully, the bigger field, extra man, and receivers in motion before the snap would probably just give Tom Brady or Peyton Manning even more room to pick apart everybody else's defense :lol:

Last edited:
Well I'm not sure if its the type of "sport" for the Olympics but some sort of racing f1 or rally? Also Bmx and Skateboarding.

But since none of these will ever happen ill stick to watching swimming haha.

Shows how much you know. :) Baseball is huge in Asia and Latin America. Just because you have a bunch of really good players doesn't mean you'll have the best team. See the Miami Marlins as an example. Japan, Korea, and Cuba have regularly beaten the States. Basically, every country that's represented in the MLB has a really good team they could send, and they'd all be more than capable of beating eachother.

No you're right, I don't know much about baseball or claim to know much about it. Surprised that USA weren't utterly dominant though seeing as it's their national sport and they do pretty well at Basketball, which arguably has a bigger following outside of the Staes, I hear ;).

I know having the best players doesn't necessarily mean having the best team, but it helps. After doing a bit of research it seems "huge in Asia" translates as big in Japan, Korea and Chinese Taipei and the other teams are all in North America with a smattering of interest in South America.

Quote from Wiki on why Baseball was dropped from the Olympics,
"...both sports'(Baseball and Softball) lack of major appeal in a significant portion of the world was a factor."

Well I'm not sure if its the type of "sport" for the Olympics but some sort of racing f1 or rally? Also Bmx and Skateboarding.

But since none of these will ever happen ill stick to watching swimming haha.

BMX is already an Olympic sport. There's a thread on motorsport in the Olympics in the Motorsport subforum but I can't see it ever happening due to the fact that it's a mechanical propulsion sport.

This.

Skateboarding, Parkour, Street Luging, Dodgeball, Pugil Stick Fighting, Paintballing, Jousting. I also want to see the return of rope climbing and maybe tug of war :lol:

I'm sure more will come to me.

You speak the truth.

BMX is already an Olympic sport. There's a thread on motorsport in the Olympics in the Motorsport subforum but I can't see it ever happening due to the fact that it's a mechanical propulsion sport.

True BMX Racing but i meant freestyle like X Games, should've specified.
I did find this new sport that should be at the 2016 games

European-extreme-sports.jpg

Extreme Dolphin riding.

Baseball has a massive following. Mainly Asia and North/Central/South America. It's only been a sport since '92. USA has only won one and bronze twice.

Baseball won't be back in the games for a long time, though. :indiff:

I think baseball is too long to be an olympic sport.

Don't most events rarely go beyond the 3 hour mark?

Track events for B4+ VI people. They don't support it at Olympic level so athletes like me with visual impairment are forced to train for standard Olympics :(

Oh well, I guess aiming for the world's quickest sprinter is a better aim to have :)

Rugby players would probably be able to adapt (except to the O-line, as I don't think there's many 6'5", 300lb rugby players), but it would take a lot of effort and time. American Football is a very technical game, Rugby players would definitely have the athletic skill and strength, but there is a lot of positioning, coaching, and technique that is crucial. If football were to be in the olympics, it'd be an absolute and ruthless slaughter by the American team. The only country that would have the slightest chance of not getting completely embarassed by the USA would be Canada, we have a solid pro football league here, and there's a big following of the NFL and CFL, but it'd still likely be at least a 3-4 TD spread for the USA, and would be a guaranteed gold. The USA could send 3 teams and win every medal easily.

As for baseball, it would certainly not be an instant gold. Mexico, Cuba, the Domincan Republic, Japan, and Canada would all be competitive (baseball people could help with this list). I would liken it to Olympic ice hockey, where Canada has the best team on paper, but don't always win. In baseball, the USA "should" win, and would have the "best" team, but any of the countries mentioned earlier could realistically win.

If they sent the pros it would probably end up like this game, 78-0

But is likely they wouldn't send pros as they wouldn't risk injury. You would probably get a bunch of players who couldn't make it in the NFL or from the UFL which would probably still be enough to win Gold.

One thing to keep in mind though is that even though American football is a very physical sport size doesnt matter as much as one might think. Size is much more important in basketball then football. A smaller team has a much better chance of defeating a bigger American football team then a shorter team defeating a taller basketball team.

So the world could give D rated American Football players a good game. But the pros? Tom Brady throwing to Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald? No way. The farming system in the United States for Gridiron talent is insane and will never be touchable, ever.

All I meant about size is strictly on the O-line. To be against an American D-line you'd have to be big.

As for a hypothetical olympic American football tourney, for a very long time and perhaps forever, the USA and Canada would finish 1-2. The USA would dominate everyone else, and Canada would dominate everyone else slightly less. Then the USA would dominate Canada :lol:

Last edited:
American football is not a world game. The clue is in the name. Baseball isn't a world game either. Yes I know they are played in a few other countries, that doesn't make them a world sport.

Cricket and Rugby are more widespread that either of those, but still pretty much restricted to commonwealth nationals and therefore not really world sports either.

Only truly world sports should be considered.

That would be Squash for sure and maybe Golf.

Well it says on the Wikipedia page that a sport must be widely played in over 75 countries spread over 4 continents.

So, I don't quiet know how water polo got in, but meh, it's fun to watch.

American football is not a world game. The clue is in the name. Baseball isn't a world game either. Yes I know they are played in a few other countries, that doesn't make them a world sport.

Cricket and Rugby are more widespread that either of those, but still pretty much restricted to commonwealth nationals and therefore not really world sports either.

That would be Squash for sure and maybe Golf.

Baseball is a world game. It's immensely popular in the United States, through Central and South america (particularly Cuba, Mexico, Venezuela), it's huge in Japan, South Korea, and Chinese Taipei, it is definitely a true world sport. The reasoning the IOC used to get rid of it is absurd, considering that 100m air rifle, equestrian, and table tennis are all sports.

I think Cricket, Baseball, and Rugby all deserve to be included. American football was only brought up as a joke because of how much of a hilarious slaughter it would be if the USA sent their NFL pros.

Baseball, though with shorter games, about 6 innings.

American Football isn't a bad idea, but I can see the USA winning by a gargantuan margin in every game. If they made a rule where NFL players are forbidden from participating, it would probably even things out (even if it means disappointed fans as their favorite players wouldn't be in it).

Even without NFL guys the USA would clean up. It would basically only help Canada maybe only lose by 3 or 4 possesions. Everyone else it'd still be a slaughter.

Baseball is a world game. It's immensely popular in the United States, through Central and South america (particularly Cuba, Mexico, Venezuela), it's huge in Japan, South Korea, and Chinese Taipei, it is definitely a true world sport. The reasoning the IOC used to get rid of it is absurd, considering that 100m air rifle, equestrian, and table tennis are all sports.

I pointed out in my post that I know Baseball is played in some other countries.

That does not make it a WORLD sport.

Tired Tyres

Yeah, like handball. One of the things that keeps American Football from being a big time world sport is the costs. Your looking at 30+ players per team all needing expensive equipment. Most of the world is 3rd world can nev er afford that.

It sucks because I believe American Football's popularity would skyrocket if the world got a chance to see the best the NFL has to offer do their thing. It would have the same kind effect that the 1992 Dream Team had on basketball world wide

Even without NFL guys the USA would clean up. It would basically only help Canada maybe only lose by 3 or 4 possesions. Everyone else it'd still be a slaughter.

Thinking about it some more I think New Zealand / Polynesian etc could field a good team

Look who they have in the NFL now

Haloti Ngata, a top 5 downlineman

Troy Polamalu, a top 5 safety

Rey Maualuga, Lofa Tatupu and others at linebacker

Still not enough to beat a US team, but I dont think they lose by more then 21

A new 'modern' pentathlon/decathalon triathlon style.

Something like

1500m run,
500m swim pool,
prone shooting (with penalty loop swim for each miss, 50m?),
500m swim pool,
standing shooting (with penalty loop swin for each miss, 50m?),
500m swim pool,
??? Equestrian?
1500m run,
prone shooting (with penalty loop run for each miss, 100m?),
1500m run,
standing shooting (with penalty loop run for each miss),
1500m run,
??? - Kayaking & Rowing?
30km road bike ride,
750m sea swim,
Archery (with penalty loop run for each miss, 100m?),
750m sea swim,
20km MTB ride,
??? - Windsurfing?
1500m run

Time guess? Just under 3hrs? - Ideally should be lengthened to between 3-4hrs?

I really like the Winter Biathlon style mix...

Another stage could be a Equestrian Cross Country style event with time penalties (maybe either run/swim loop or simple 1-2 mins horse loop? repeated dependant upon kind of penalty?), Sailing/Windsufing event? Kayaking (flat water, white water), Rowing (Single skull)

Somewhere I'd like to throw in a long jump, high jump, javelin that covert to 'time' (time bonus decreases dependant upon how well you do), but dunno if possible/fair...

Any other ideas? Tried to mix a combo, of alot of different Olympic disciplines...

Maybe I'm just a saddist.

Last edited:
Back