What will make or break your decision to buy/play GT7?

• Thread starter DigoARA
  • 204 comments
The unlockable, rarer cars were a nice incentive to go back and trying to win them but even that got old quickly (not a huge fan of prize wheels) and the racing itself made me yawn. You just couldn't escape the slow, on rails AI and at the times you had to handicap yourself big time to let them be ''competitive''. In the end, besides the GT90 in GT2 and the Polyphony F1 car in GT3, I never bothered with them.

Yeah the the GT series as a whole could be better. The competition could be 10x better alone. Like Grid AS. I actually have to use my skills even on a normal difficulty. I just believe that the newest GT titles are a step back in the competition category, and I would appreciate it more if there were a few items that could be considered rare, yet anyone could attain them, just knowing how to was the key.

Maybe have a few "rare" vehicles to be won in each career division, license test and special event, like a GT90 for all gold in IA career races, a Silouhette R31 for all gold IA license, and the Lunar Rover for completing the moon missions.

I thought GT3 was a bit extreme as you often had to replay old races so that you had the credits to upgrade your car for the next race, while GT4, didn't require as much upgrading of your car (thanks to the UCD), and gave much more options when it came to races, even giving rewards for bronzing licences, and pretty good ones to, ranging from a Lupo to a 270R and a Skyline and it had the country and make specific races so you were never stuck to doing just one event.
Exactly how I feel about GT3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the the GT series as a whole could be better. The competition could be 10x better alone. Like Grid AS. I actually have to use my skills even on a normal difficulty. I just believe that the newest GT titles are a step back in the competition category, and I would appreciate it more if there were a few items that could be considered rare, yet anyone could attain them, just knowing how to was the key.

Maybe have a few "rare" vehicles to be won in each career division, license test and special event, like a GT90 for all gold in IA career races, a Silouhette R31 for all gold IA license, and the Lunar Rover for completing the moon missions.

CM always win in the AI sector, the AI in GRID couldn't get any more realistic on the EXTREME difficulty, with me winning World Touring if I worked for it and getting the podium on LM Series if I worked for it, and 5th on LM Sarthe if I worked for it. If CM did the AI, EA the car list, PD the track list, and SM the graphics, I think that would be the perfect track racer

What would will or break my decision about GT7?

Everything I've seen in GT5/GT6 not much hope at all. Everything is lacklaster. When I bought GT5 I was a little excited but got bored after couple weeks and same with GT6 (Hearing about new engine sounds or what ever) Was not there and gave up.

Not buying a PS4 just to "try" out GT7 as there are other racing games that has my interest.

As long as my fiancee/wife says I can. :P lol I will, and if she says no, it probably wont be long anyways lol. :P She did say no to Renting a car at Nurburgring in 2015. And I was banned from GT academy 2014 (I got 260ishth anyways so it doesn't matter if i was allowed, still lost) :P

If support isn't added for the G27 then I'm out. Right now I don't have a PS4 since I don't see a reason to get it and if no support is added for the Logitech wheels then I won't be getting one at all.
Don't want to buy as PS4 then have to shell out $300 for another wheel and I ain't going back to the controller...

I want a livery editor similar to what's in iRacing, the racing modifications from GT5 to be back and available on a majority of the cars, major sound improvement, improved damage, improved collision physics and improved multiplayer mode. Oh and I want the standard cars to be GONE!

If they do at least 3 of those things I'll think about it.

What would will or break my decision about GT7?

Everything I've seen in GT5/GT6 not much hope at all. Everything is lacklaster. When I bought GT5 I was a little excited but got bored after couple weeks and same with GT6 (Hearing about new engine sounds or what ever) Was not there and gave up.

Not buying a PS4 just to "try" out GT7 as there are other racing games that has my interest.

Yeah GT needs an injection of fun!

Currently the biggest holdup for me is the price of the PS4 itself, I just can't justify paying $400 for a game console. I guess that's one positive of PD's lack of efficiency, by the time it comes out, the PS4 may be more in my price range.

As for the game itself, my biggest complaints about GT5/6 is the lack of variety in the car selection, short and uninteresting career mode, bad A.I. and crappy sounds. If they can address those with GT7 I will be very pleased.

i've been mulling this over since GT6 came out as the GT6 experience is somewhat unsatisfying considering how great it could have been and how much I've played the 5 predecessors.

Missed opportunities all over the place with career mode, racing format and the AI. My only hope is that there is much more to come with scheduled updates. Many of the popular wishlist items are inconsequential to me and just bells & whistles, and now as I recently looked at PCars I have expectations that it will meet my desires more than GT7 will.

If things are improved with updates on GT6 I may go for GT7, if it takes too long to come out I may be into PCars too much to care about GT7. One thing is for certain, I won't be giving Micro$oft any of my hard-earned for either a xbox or win8/10 on a gaming pc any time soon so I will probably end up with a PS4 or a Linux gaming folly.

i've been mulling this over since GT6 came out as the GT6 experience is somewhat unsatisfying considering how great it could have been and how much I've played the 5 predecessors.

Missed opportunities all over the place with career mode, racing format and the AI. My only hope is that there is much more to come with scheduled updates. Many of the popular wishlist items are inconsequential to me and just bells & whistles, and now as I recently looked at PCars I have expectations that it will meet my desires more than GT7 will.

If things are improved with updates on GT6 I may go for GT7, if it takes too long to come out I may be into PCars too much to care about GT7. One thing is for certain, I won't be giving Micro$oft any of my hard-earned for either a xbox or win8/10 on a gaming pc any time soon so I will probably end up with a PS4 or a Linux gaming folly.
I would think any sim racing fan that is planning on getting the PS4, would be way into PCars, but it's a different game than GT in many ways and may not satisfy all your sim driving/racing itch. I say if you're going to get the PS4 anyway, get it in the spring, get PCars and enjoy it until GT comes out and then see what GT has to offer when it's released. Everything that makes it to the PS4 should be at least beautiful to look at.

I would think any sim racing fan that is planning on getting the PS4, would be way into PCars, but it's a different game than GT in many ways and may not satisfy all your sim driving/racing itch. I say if you're going to get the PS4 anyway, get it in the spring, get PCars and enjoy it until GT comes out and then see what GT has to offer when it's released. Everything that makes it to the PS4 should be at least beautiful to look at.

PCars my be a different kind of game to GT but at the moment, the gameplay aspect look more satisfying than GT6 has been and my hopes for GT7 are now not as high as they been for every other GT. But the question is, do I buy a PS4, a gaming pc or just stick with the PS3 and keep the wife happy. Any new machine is only for getting access to newer games and therefore an extravagant expense considering the amount of time spent playing.

As for graphical excellence, thats low down my list of requirements in a game. I started gaming in the 80s and still hail Revs as one of the best driving games ever because the handling was only surpassed once GT came along and I would still play it if I had a an analogue joystick. That nostalgia reminds me, getting a pc would mean I can play the new Elite too, as well as being able to have good enough specs for things like the next Civ & Total War

so, Ps4 and Gt7 or pc & elite etc, either way Project cars will be a given. Im leaning back towards Pc as the ps4 woud mean replacing my DFPro too so no cost benefits with getting a PS4.

But the question is, do I buy a PS4, a gaming pc or just stick with the PS3 and keep the wife happy. Any new machine is only for getting access to newer games and therefore an extravagant expense considering the amount of time spent playing.

If you haven't had a gaming PC then there's a lot of good racing games from the past ten years or so that you've missed out on, and a lot of them can be picked up for very cheap.

PCars my be a different kind of game to GT but at the moment, the gameplay aspect look more satisfying than GT6 has been and my hopes for GT7 are now not as high as they been for every other GT. But the question is, do I buy a PS4, a gaming pc or just stick with the PS3 and keep the wife happy. Any new machine is only for getting access to newer games and therefore an extravagant expense considering the amount of time spent playing.

As for graphical excellence, thats low down my list of requirements in a game. I started gaming in the 80s and still hail Revs as one of the best driving games ever because the handling was only surpassed once GT came along and I would still play it if I had a an analogue joystick. That nostalgia reminds me, getting a pc would mean I can play the new Elite too, as well as being able to have good enough specs for things like the next Civ & Total War

so, Ps4 and Gt7 or pc & elite etc, either way Project cars will be a given. Im leaning back towards Pc as the ps4 woud mean replacing my DFPro too so no cost benefits with getting a PS4.
Not sure what to do about the wife issue:lol: but putting that aside for the moment, IMO GT is no longer good enough for me to be a console only guy anymore. My options were at this point, either PS4+new wheel+PS Subscription or new PC+keep my G27. Moneywise I could do either for about $1100. When I looked at the options for PS4 it was PCars and in two years maybe, GT7 and that was it. On PC it was PCars + every racing sim ever produced but no GT.

I may get the PS4 when GT7 is released or I may not, but there are a wealth of options on the PC, each of which are unique in different ways and I think once you feel the difference through your wheel, hear the difference through your speakers, know and understand what's going on through the physics engine, it's hard to turn back. Some of it is downright addictive. I've downloaded dozens of liveries, 8 or 9 tracks, 4 or 5 cars in AC all for free and not the questionable free content GT offers, but stuff I really want. I downloaded a couple of Android apps, one was free and the other was <$5 that move the usual onscreen game data to my tablet, giving me a completely clear screen when racing and a quick glance over at the tablet, soon to be mounted right beside the wheel, reveals any info normally available in the game. Tire temps, fuel remaining, fuel needed at the next pit stop, lap times, lap time deltas, tach, gear etc. etc. etc.

The number of options is crazy and it's only getting better over time.:cheers:

If you haven't had a gaming PC then there's a lot of good racing games from the past ten years or so that you've missed out on, and a lot of them can be picked up for very cheap.
I picked up the SimBin Megabundle for less than $9!!:eek::eek: Gaming is cheaper on the PC when you look at the older games and the deals that arise regularly on PC. I think I paid $22 for Assetto Corsa on a 1/3 off weekend. Less than $15 for the Euro Truck Simulator Collectors Bundle. Not knowing anything about Steam before I started down the PC road I couldn't believe the prices and was snapping everything up every time there was a sale, even before I had the PC:lol:

The Gran Turismo 7 logo on the box will definitely make my decision to buy it. I don't care if I don't have a wheel at first. GT is GT either way.

👍

I just got GTR2 and hope to set it up along with my DFGT this weekend. I've had it with waiting and hoping PD would do anything to improve offline so I'm trying other things. I'm sure that GT7 will look amazing but otherwise I feel it will be GT6 with a few extra bells and whistles and the same old excuse of a career mode and incompetent AI.

See that's what's going to mess me up in the long run with GT I'll got back and play these older games, and they're not even as new as GT5/GT6, and they blow them away.

I've already got GRID 1, DiRT 3, F1 2012, NFS: Porsche Unleashed, and heard about GTR2, and others from you guys.

Heck PCars probably going to 🤬 on GT7(possibly it's not out yet lol). Then PD has an uphill climb they already do, but now it's like rock climbing at this point.

I'm thinking about this in the perspective that Kaz isn't going to learn, and risk losing more players.

Based on "Six", I can't see buying "Seven". (Or a PS4, since GT6 was the only real reason to buy a second console.) The physics in 6 make it a delight to drive, but the sensory package is just not there- 6 just doesn't inspire me. I want to be itching to get out the door from work to go home and race. I want to race more than two laps. I want to be tempted to take off my headphones and blast the feral snarl of a C7 or a 599GTB through 200 watts per channel and 12 inch woofers. I want the overrun when I breathe the throttle coming off Blanchimont to give me chills. I want more wheels and more bodywork. I want a 2014 Z28 and a 2012 MazdaSpeed 3. I want a 2005-6 LS1 GTO with an interior. I want some fire, some passion, some grunt. I want Kaz to be as angry as I am at what 6 ISN'T, but should be, and fix it.

............................what will turn me away from GT7 on PS4 is IF they continue the same "content noone wants" way of doing things......................

Do you have
empirical data that suggests that PD creates content that no one wants? I maintain that PD knows exactly what it is doing .......... which is to create content that appeals to casual Gamers more so than discriminating Sim Racers like many of us here on GTPlanet. I will buy and play GT7 to experience first hand what it is or isn't ........... and use that experience to more thoroughly evaluate it's competition going forward.

I'm thinking about this in the perspective that Kaz isn't going to learn, and risk losing more players.

I'm not sure Gran Turismo knows what it wants to be, at this point. It's a bunch of stuff that seems like it should be cool, but none of it has had the polish put on that would make it truly engaging to a wide range of players.

GT3 and GT1 were far more focussed, and were probably better games for it. Most PC sims have that going for them as well, they have their niche and they do it bloody well.

GT's differentiator is that it has a huge range of vehicles and tracks, but it's yet to find a decent way of leveraging that into exciting gameplay. All the ingredients are there for an amazing meal, but the end result is merely OK because of the way that they've been put together.

===========

@Zuku @raven214 My favourite from that era is GT Legends. Highly recommended.

why do we have to pay a licence to play gt6?i just got home and trying to play and it send me to playstore and i have to pay 19.99€ to renew mi licence!!!

The way this series has become they are going to have to turn around their game completely to win me back. There are so many other good racing games around that one really doesn't have to bother (read: get frustrated) with GT anymore. The only thing i miss from the other racers are all the normal cars and the car collecting aspect. FM is the best alternative for that but that means buying an Xbone (which is still an option here also).

No changes to the horrible offline career mode and race format = no buy, standard cars = no buy, no revolution in sounds = no buy, no damage = no buy, no qualifying, fixed grid starts and endurance racing = no buy.

PD have a lot of boxes to tick.

Don't double post - use the Edit button or queue replies with the Reply or +Quote buttons
The Only way I will not buy GT 7 is if it looks like GT 1, What are the odds of that happening? LOL!!! As Sooooooon as Project Cars is released 3/17/2015 I will have my PS4 and A wheel, salivating for GT 7 :drool:, What other simulator where players can go from console to real race car? defiantly NOT Xbone or Forza, The physics in the GT Series are too great to be over looked, I'm All in.

All of the current crop of GT Academy graduates and NISMO athletes have been given rankings for 2015 amongst the 1,729 drivers listed on the FIA Global Driver Ratings list, rated as follows:

Bronze

• Steve Doherty
Silver

• Jordan Tresson
  • Wolfgang Reip
  • Florian Strauss
  • Mark Shulzhitskiy
  • Nick McMillen
  • Miguel Faisca
  • Peter Pyzera
  • Stanislav Aksenov
Gold

• Lucas Ordonez
  • Alex Buncombe
The only Academy graduate missing from the list is Bryan Heitkotter, who seems likely to be driving another season in North America – while his codriver Steve Doherty is probably destined for some GT3 action again this year. Steve’s Bronze rating is mainly down to the fact he’s been driving in the Continental Tires Sportscar Challenge rather than FIA GT events.

However, you may notice that Jann Mardenborough doesn’t appear above either. Jann joins the ranks of the top-rated drivers in the world this year, being promoted from his 2014 Gold classification to a Platinum ranking. This puts him in amongst pretty heady peers like ex F1 star Jaime Alguesuari, multiple world champion Sebastien Loeb, GT legend Maxime Martin and thrice LMP1 winners Andre Lotterer, Marcel Fassler & Benoit Treluyer.

With a Platinum ranking almost a necessity for a top LMP1 seat and Nissan’s three car assault on Le Mans in 2015 with the Nissan GT-R LM Nismo, it seems more likely that Mardenborough will be aiming to be the first gamer-to-racer to take a 24hr title in 2015.

:bowdown:GT7

Last edited:
The Only way I will not buy GT 7 is if it looks like GT 1, What are the odds of that happening? LOL!!! As Sooooooon as Project Cars is released 3/17/2015 I will have my PS4 and A wheel, salivating for GT 7 :drool:, What other simulator where players can go from console to real race car? defiantly NOT Xbone or Forza, The physics in the GT Series are too great to be over looked, I'm All in.
  • Hate to say it, but the only way you could think the physics in the GT series are "great" is if you've never played any pc sim in depth or at least with a decent wheel. 10 year old PC sims have better physics and FFB than GT does at this point, in every category and anything current like Assetto Corsa or Project Cars makes GT look simcade at best. On the PS system so far, GT cannot be beat, but it's awfully hard not to be victorious when you are the only competitor in your category.:sly: Even PD can't screw that up:crazy: Come spring and Project Cars, GT is going to be a very distant second place and I don't expect GT7 to be anything close, physics wise, to Project Cars. The two games will be in whole different categories.

the only way you could think the physics in the GT series are "great" is if you've never played any pc sim in depth or at least with a decent wheel.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of AutoSport, but I'm not the best driver, but the list of guys that I already named from GT Academy
  • Jordan Tresson
  • Wolfgang Reip
  • Florian Strauss
  • Mark Shulzhitskiy
  • Nick McMillen
  • Miguel Faisca
  • Peter Pyzera
  • Stanislav Aksenov
And
Jann Mardenborough

are highly racked by the FIA, and they went from Gran Turismo Console to A high FIA ranking in A real Race Car, I think that settles the argument of game physics, because that speaks for itself, And I hope Project Cars is worth the hype, because mine is already reserved and I don't have A PS4 yet LOL, I've seen Assetto Corsa it looks tight, PC gaming is not my thing, I've been on a Sony PlayStation since Gen #1, and don't plan on jumping ship for Assetto Corsa, Gt 7 will respond once Project Cars shows their hand, Then PDI will play the ace up their sleeve.

...are highly racked by the FIA, and they went from Gran Turismo Console to A high FIA ranking in A real Race Car, I think that settles the argument of game physics, because that speaks for itself.

Congratulations, you are the example marketing folks will point to when they want proof their messages work.

Gran Turismo doesn't make racing drivers. It also doesn't train them to become as good as they are: you'll note the vast majority of any GTA grad's time after the main elimination rounds is spent (gasp!) in a real car. The Academy program is great in the sense that it brings attention to people with innate skills that otherwise haven't been able to make an impact on the motorsports world yet (as it typically requires a solid pile of cash), but the game on its own doesn't build world-class drivers: if it did, we'd be seeing a lot more people making the jump without the GTA program. You're also overlooking the fact a good chunk of the grads were already accomplished behind a wheel: Bryan had a fair amount of SCCA success behind him years before GTAcademy (though he was always fast, even when we'd do "OLR" races in GT2/3/4 :lol: ).

GTA has no basis in the discussion of physics, anyways; being at the top of a leaderboard in a game means you know how to operate within the rules of the game best. The well-documented issues with camber, aerodynamics, and torque-steer should be considered, to say nothing of the constant tiny changes PD introduces with most updates.

...All that said, GT7 not having the best physics on consoles wouldn't be a reason for me to not buy it. A decent tire model that more accurately deals with torque-steer and progression, as well as knocking down the insane levels of grip on the racing tires, is all I'm really looking for from the physics. I'm far more curious about how fun the game will actually be, if it will embrace user-created content at the level that became standard years ago, and if PD refocuses on bringing only next-gen-quality assets to their next-gen game.

....GT7 will respond once Project Cars shows their hand, Then PDI will play the ace up their sleeve.
@SlipZtrEm answered the physics question better than I can:tup:, but I'd add that I don't believe PD will respond in any way directly to Project Cars. Kaz has made it well known that he pays little attention to other games and unless he does a 180 in the near future, he will soldier on in bringing us his own vision of what a game should be, regardless of what the competition is doing. Project Cars is not competing for the same general playing audience as GT, which is a more casual, game oriented player. It's targeted towards the more hardcore sim racer portion of the PD fanbase, and is admittedly lacking in many of the elements that make GT what it is. Quirky car list, quirky little races, a deep car list, less serious career mode, more user friendly and simplified tuning interface, wide array of tuning upgrades etc. etc. etc. You can't even modify, add visual or tuning parts or alter the cars in PCars in anyway except for tuning already existing parts and liveries for example. And that tuning will be limited to the tuning that could be done on the real car, so you won't be tweaking spring rates, damper, LSD, transmission settings etc. on a typical street car ala GT, Forza etc. You won't have the ability to put unrealistic tire compounds on cars either, like throwing racing tires on a street BMW M3 E30 or a classic Lotus 49 because the game values realism before playability, although of course driving aids will be available. Those few things alone will turn off a good chunk of the more casual fanbase.

And what I mean by all that is, both games can easily co-exist without one taking away or stealing a portion of the other's fanbase. The casual fan will still be happiest with the GT series, and more hardcore sim portion of the GT fanbase which I believe is a fairly small percentage although that's just an opinion, will probably continue to enjoy GT for what it is, while enjoying the more hardcore aspect of sim racing Project Cars has to offer.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back