What will make or break your decision to buy/play GT7?

• Thread starter DigoARA
  • 204 comments
Since posting in this thread I took another look at Project Cars and at what it aims to do. I must say, I am blown away by the planned features. Most everything Pcars is trying to do are things I have been dreaming of seeing in GT6.

For me, the premise of this thread has shifted. I am squarely in the Pcars camp now, so the only way I can see myself getting GT7 and a PS4 is if Pcars is a total failure and I don't decide to go for some alternative (e.g. iRacing). An appeal for me of GT and console gaming in general has always been the ability to get right into a session from the comfort of my living room, but I am willing to forgo that if it means getting virtually everything I have been waiting (years now) for GT to still be nowhere near ready to deliver.

I suppose I would have to return to the table if tomorrow PD releases updated AI, B-spec, endurance races, the course maker, etc, etc... but let's just say I'm not exactly holding my breath on that one.
For fans of pure racing, immersion and detail, it's going to be hard to beat PCars. What it lacks however are many of the things that appeal to GT fans, the "gamish" features if you will. The ability to stick crazy glue tires on any car for example, the ability to turn any street car into a fully tunable race car, ABS that's really stability control, B-Spec, arcadish career mode, etc. With every game there are tradeoffs but for me as well, PCars is a whole new ballgame in terms of what it's trying to achieve and the scope of the game.

Sad truth is no matter how dissatisfied I am with GT6, I'll be there waiting in line to pick up GT7 day one. Figuratively of course. Nowadays I can hardly find a time to have a proper go at gaming...

You know, this might sound strange, but there are things that would do both for me, break and virtually make me to buy it, I'm sort of on the fence right now.

As most of us, I don't yet own a PS4, so the price (or bundled price with the game) may make me think 'gee, GT6 is still pretty good, I'll wait'.

If Porsche were introduced, I'd pretty much think that to be a game changer, and would probably buy the game*.

Other cars in the game that really should be in GT6 (everything, super/hyper cars, hot hatches, sports cars, ect), if there are 'enough' new ones, that might swing me over.

So a cheap enough PS4, with enough new content (isn't everyone basically saying this?) would be a yes for sure.

A PS4 that is too expensive to warrant the lack of new content (at least at launch), that'd be a solid no.

Because of the console leap, this might be the first time I don't pre-order the new GT title, we'll see.

Last edited:
Probably I will buy it anyway, but my biggest concern is if Sony will change there minds on the most stupid decision up until this day, and this is the exclusive thrustmaster support on the PS4. If i can´t use my fanatec setup by the time GT7 arrives i will stay unwrapped !!

As a lot of other people said the lack of support for Logitech and Fanatech wheels is what stops me to buy a PS4...
I am having too much fun playing AC and Pcars on my PC and I can skip GT7 without problems...
On PS3 that still supports my G27 I have not just GT5/6 but Grid Autosport too so I am not running out of driving games...
If only PS4 will support my G27 I will buy it and GT7 too if it will be a good game...

PS2+GT3
PS3+GT5P

I will buy GT7 in bundle with a PS4, as tradition...

(Unless some sort of interesting collector's edition you can't receive with the bundle)

For the simple fact that I am a huge fan of the Gran Turismo series I am going to purchase GT7 if/when it is released.

In my opinion, Gran Turismo is not what it used to be and that is due to the absence of a few basic elements that have been key to the series.

In past GT games (1,2,3, and 4) there were reasonable limits. What I mean by that is everything wasn't available from the beginning such as all cars, tracks, high paying events. We had to put forth effort.

There were times where you would see an A.I car during a race and say, "Wow! That's sweet! I want one!", just to find out that it couldn't be purchased but had to be won.

Everything is too "Americanized". Just how it's so simple to just go get a bite to eat (not mad about that, love food) McDonald's on every corner. This is how I feel regarding the Gran Turismo series. It doesn't make us work hard enough for desireables and even needs within the game. High paying seasonals and login bonuses I can do without and grind instead.

I came to this realization because I have been in the stone ages with GT4.

Remember in GT3 how much effort we had to put forth to get that 20-30,000 dollar car? That's what Polyphony Digital need to bring back. I had the AE86 for such a long time, that I began to dread the thing.

But I'll never forget racing the Sunday Cup super speedway twenty times in a row so I could buy a camaro z/28, and winning the Nismo 400R, and de-badged ts020.

It was such a rewarding feeling, but now it just seems like a dollar menu everytime I go to the car dealership in GT6.

For a game that's not even out yet? :P
Perhaps a bit unclear on my part. I was referring to GT6.

Everything is too "Americanized". Just how it's so simple to just go get a bite to eat (not mad about that, love food) McDonald's on every corner. This is how I feel regarding the Gran Turismo series. It doesn't make us work hard enough for desireables and even needs within the game. High paying seasonals and login bonuses I can do without and grind instead.
Grinding to ''makes us work hard'' for virtual currency and cars is just a poor formula. I'd prefer they'd make races that are fun, interesting and exciting and give you an incentive to replay them while shying away from tedious grinding. The login bonus is a great incentive, wich in turn results in high paying Seasonal Events and Special Events, but that's more of a ''solution'' to the ímbalanced in-game economy and dull career mode.

Grinding to ''makes us work hard'' for virtual currency and cars is just a poor formula. I'd prefer they'd make races that are fun, interesting and exciting and give you an incentive to replay them while shying away from tedious grinding. The login bonus is a great incentive, wich in turn results in high paying Seasonal Events and Special Events, but that's more of a ''solution'' to the ímbalanced in-game economy and dull career mode.
I agree. I don't understand why people have this masochistic desire to turn gaming into work:dunce::dunce:. Problem is you're never going to have a well balanced game if the economy is out of whack and acquiring cars in general is tied to your offline racing career and seasonals at the same time. This is why I'd like to have the option of an entirely separate career mode, where the earnings and cars acquired during my career are separated from my general funds and other cars acquired. I'd like the career to be challenging and fun and have it's own separate little economy that makes sense. You should be able to win enough money in each series to fund the next level of racing but like any racer, you should be scrounging and saving on parts where you can, running side races and events to earn cash. Cars should be priced so that you can aquire then without having to go outside your career to acquire them but also without grinding.

Part of this would also be that any earnings or vehicles from your career can be used in the rest of the game at your option and not vice versa. That way your online career is well funded but the offline career maintains it's own separate economy, garage etc.

I will preorder it, take the day off work and drink beer and play the game all day just like I have with all the others.

I am going to pick up GT7 anyway, but I'll be pretty dissapointed if they are putting track maps and thumbnails (like the ssrx alternate route and much more) in the code and never actually give those tracks to us.
The same goes with hidden cars, most of the early GT's had them and PD didn't even acknowledge their existence.
They really need to stop this "keeping things silent for the public" thing and properly communicate with us.
I mean, putting stuff in the code for future stuff is ok but if they just leave all those things just there doing nothing it's just making me angry.

Having more premiums will make it. Keeping fuel and tire depletion to GT MODE will break it

For the simple fact that I am a huge fan of the Gran Turismo series I am going to purchase GT7 if/when it is released.

In my opinion, Gran Turismo is not what it used to be and that is due to the absence of a few basic elements that have been key to the series.

In past GT games (1,2,3, and 4) there were reasonable limits. What I mean by that is everything wasn't available from the beginning such as all cars, tracks, high paying events. We had to put forth effort.

There were times where you would see an A.I car during a race and say, "Wow! That's sweet! I want one!", just to find out that it couldn't be purchased but had to be won.

I came to this realization because I have been in the stone ages with GT4.

Remember in GT3 how much effort we had to put forth to get that 20-30,000 dollar car? That's what Polyphony Digital need to bring back. I had the AE86 for such a long time, that I began to dread the thing.

But I'll never forget racing the Sunday Cup super speedway twenty times in a row so I could buy a camaro z/28, and winning the Nismo 400R, and de-badged ts020.

It was such a rewarding feeling, but now it just seems like a dollar menu everytime I go to the car dealership in GT6.
I get what you mean about the old GT's. I remember transferring 18K from GT3, buying an Evo 7, and still having to tune it and grind early races and tuning my Evo up to win the Evo Meeting and All Japan Championship.

I get what you mean about the old GT's. I remember transferring 18K from GT3, buying an Evo 7, and still having to tune it and grind early races and tuning my Evo up to win the Evo Meeting and All Japan Championship.

Yeah. That was a cool feature. Some people feel like you shouldn't have to work hard to get cars and such in games but it really does make it that much more important.

Every car I have in GT6 isn't anything special. It's just like, do this one race with a 200% extra payout and buy whatever.

The older games also had slightly more challenging races too. The A.I cars' power/stats were matched to yours to an extent. So your modded car would be up against other modded cars rather than stock ones.

In the older games the incentive was there with the unique cars you could unlock yet couldn't purchase. Also as you got further into the game the cash reward increased. And also A.I cars' got performance increases to match yours. (Like when you take a 400hp car to a race you would be racing opponents who could at least keep up on the straights/turns sometimes both) That was a fine formula to me. If it were still that way online racing would be better as well because you would race against a variety of cars rather than everyone driving the same handful of cars.

Yeah. That was a cool feature. Some people feel like you shouldn't have to work hard to get cars and such in games but it really does make it that much more important.

Every car I have in GT6 isn't anything special. It's just like, do this one race with a 200% extra payout and buy whatever.

The older games also had slightly more challenging races too. The A.I cars' power/stats were matched to yours to an extent. So your modded car would be up against other modded cars rather than stock ones.
Yeah, I remember the Viper in Like The Wind on GT3 did 400KMH, not sure about the stock (Real Viper is 290KMH right?). But it bugged me that the Zonda's only did 240KMH. GT5 and 6 were way too easy, as you always won the cars to do the next race and if you did a good race with no crashes you could win it pretty easily without tuning (On GT5 the Vitz Euro can win FF Challenge easily, beating the 200BHP cars). I liked GT4's Camaro event as you had to tune your car even if you had the Camaro SS '00 (On B-Spec I had a 450BHP Camaro and still finished 3rd.)

Yeah, I remember the Viper in Like The Wind on GT3 did 400KMH, not sure about the stock (Real Viper is 290KMH right?). But it bugged me that the Zonda's only did 240KMH. GT5 and 6 were way too easy, as you always won the cars to do the next race and if you did a good race with no crashes you could win it pretty easily without tuning (On GT5 the Vitz Euro can win FF Challenge easily, beating the 200BHP cars). I liked GT4's Camaro event as you had to tune your car even if you had the Camaro SS '00 (On B-Spec I had a 450BHP Camaro and still finished 3rd.)

Yeah. The GT games ARE too easy now. I know in GT6 i took a modded s15 to the supercar challenge and got the david and goliath trophy. I mean I outdid an enzo. That wouldn't be common in gt3/4.

I just finished the tuner championship in gt4 yesterday, used a modded holden monaro (400hp)... and I had to be on my game. I ended up getting second in the final race... to the opera performance S2000.

Then immediately came here to post my thoughts in this thread. No race I've done in GT5/6 was as challenging as that ONE in GT4.

Yeah. The GT games ARE too easy now. I know in GT6 i took a modded s15 to the supercar challenge and got the david and goliath trophy. I mean I outdid an enzo. That wouldn't be common in gt3/4.

I just finished the tuner championship in gt4 yesterday, used a modded holden monaro (400hp)... and I had to be on my game. I ended up getting second in the final race... to the opera performance S2000.

Then immediately came here to post my thoughts in this thread. No race I've done in GT5/6 was as challenging as that ONE in GT4.
On GT4's special events, I used a 700HP HPA Golf, and on the straights I got annihilated by the SLR I was racing on the Tsukuba Wet track but I easily won on the corners. I think the easiest event I did on GT4 was the 1000Mile event on B-Spec. Lapped the AI several times on each event but took about 4 hours to do and only got an old Alfa out of it. I want events that need skill to win. GT4 was my favourite game, as it was challenging, fun and had a career mode that took months, even if you were really good at it. GT6's GT Mode takes a few days to do, and is the easiest of any other game I've played. GT3 took me 4 months to do, not including endurance, but I am a lot better at it now, as before on arcade I could only do it on easy as, now I can do it on hard no prob. If GT7 is as hard as GT4 was I will be so happy, as its way too easy now, I mean GT6 can be completed using just reward cars without tuning, while tuning isn't just advised on GT4, its required!, unless you have a race car. A way around it is an "Easy" career mode with much lower payouts, and AI using stock cars and not tuned, and a "Classic" career mode where AI use tuned cars, but have much higher payout, e.g. Easy GT Championship Reward $50,000. Classic GT Championship Reward $250,000. It would entice players to play on the harder difficulty and if they also gave us better reward cars on classic that would be sweet like, Sunday Cup Easy: Toyota Yaris Euro Sunday Cup Classic: Honda Civic SiR-II (EG)

On GT4's special events, I used a 700HP HPA Golf, and on the straights I got annihilated by the SLR I was racing on the Tsukuba Wet track but I easily won on the corners. I think the easiest event I did on GT4 was the 1000Mile event on B-Spec. Lapped the AI several times on each event but took about 4 hours to do and only got an old Alfa out of it. I want events that need skill to win. GT4 was my favourite game, as it was challenging, fun and had a career mode that took months, even if you were really good at it. GT6's GT Mode takes a few days to do, and is the easiest of any other game I've played. GT3 took me 4 months to do, not including endurance, but I am a lot better at it now, as before on arcade I could only do it on easy as, now I can do it on hard no prob. If GT7 is as hard as GT4 was I will be so happy, as its way too easy now, I mean GT6 can be completed using just reward cars without tuning, while tuning isn't just advised on GT4, its required!, unless you have a race car. A way around it is an "Easy" career mode with much lower payouts, and AI using stock cars and not tuned, and a "Classic" career mode where AI use tuned cars, but have much higher payout, e.g. Easy GT Championship Reward $50,000. Classic GT Championship Reward $250,000. It would entice players to play on the harder difficulty and if they also gave us better reward cars on classic that would be sweet like, Sunday Cup Easy: Toyota Yaris Euro Sunday Cup Classic: Honda Civic SiR-II (EG)

I can dig it. I hope the next gt appeals to these points&desires, at least a few, that we have discussed. Like I said, I'm still going to buy it refardless. Simply because even if it doesn't deliver what I expect, it won't mean the end of the world... it's a videogame not a marriage.

I am going to pick up GT7 anyway, but I'll be pretty dissapointed if they are putting track maps and thumbnails (like the ssrx alternate route and much more) in the code and never actually give those tracks to us.
The same goes with hidden cars, most of the early GT's had them and PD didn't even acknowledge their existence.
They really need to stop this "keeping things silent for the public" thing and properly communicate with us.
I mean, putting stuff in the code for future stuff is ok but if they just leave all those things just there doing nothing it's just making me angry.
A file on the disc is likely nothing but a placeholder for something that might happen, not something that is finished and witheld. Happens with games all the time, they can't finish everything they start and only what they consider the best stuff makes it to the disc and into the game.

I don't want to ever have a videogame feel like "work", I have work for that and I go to videogames in part to escape that. Lots of races that are challenging and fun? Sure, that's enjoyable. Races that I have to repeat for no other purpose than to earn fake money to buy fake cars? Uh uh, no dice, that's poor game design IMO and a complete waste of my valuable free time. The career should flow smartly and smoothly so that at the end you have acquired a decent garage and can progress to a Career Creator or repeat the career with different settings to make it challenging and fun again. With GT7 PD should be savvy enough to release mini-careers as DLC.

From your standpoint, if the Seasonal Payouts are too large for you just skip them, you aren't forced or required to do them.

I can dig it. I hope the next gt appeals to these points&desires, at least a few, that we have discussed. Like I said, I'm still going to buy it refardless. Simply because even if it doesn't deliver what I expect, it won't mean the end of the world... it's a videogame not a marriage.
I know, I'll probably get it, as it'll probably give us a few cool tracks and cars. I'd love Midfield, Test Course, Paris, and the old Italian town tracks (Amalfi, Citi Di Aria, etc.) and a few cars I'd like are, McLaren 650S and maybe some classic lightweights like the old Escort Cosworth or E30 M3

In the older games the incentive was there with the unique cars you could unlock yet couldn't purchase. Also as you got further into the game the cash reward increased. And also A.I cars' got performance increases to match yours. (Like when you take a 400hp car to a race you would be racing opponents who could at least keep up on the straights/turns sometimes both) That was a fine formula to me. If it were still that way online racing would be better as well because you would race against a variety of cars rather than everyone driving the same handful of cars.
The unlockable, rarer cars were a nice incentive to go back and trying to win them but even that got old quickly (not a huge fan of prize wheels) and the racing itself made me yawn. You just couldn't escape the slow, on rails AI and at the times you had to handicap yourself big time to let them be ''competitive''. In the end, besides the GT90 in GT2 and the Polyphony F1 car in GT3, I never bothered with them.

A file on the disc is likely nothing but a placeholder for something that might happen, not something that is finished and witheld. Happens with games all the time, they can't finish everything they start and only what they consider the best stuff makes it to the disc and into the game.
I don't want to ever have a videogame feel like "work", I have work for that and I go to videogames in part to escape that. Lots of races that are challenging and fun? Sure, that's enjoyable. Races that I have to repeat for no other purpose than to earn fake money to buy fake cars? Uh uh, no dice, that's poor game design IMO and a complete waste of my valuable free time. The career should flow smartly and smoothly so that at the end you have acquired a decent garage and can progress to a Career Creator or repeat the career with different settings to make it challenging and fun again. With GT7 PD should be savvy enough to release mini-careers as DLC.

From your standpoint, if the Seasonal Payouts are too large for you just skip them, you aren't forced or required to do them.
The unlockable, rarer cars were a nice incentive to go back and trying to win them but even that got old quickly (not a huge fan of prize wheels) and the racing itself made me yawn. You just couldn't escape the slow, on rails AI and at the times you had to handicap yourself big time to let them be ''competitive''. In the end, besides the GT90 in GT2 and the Polyphony F1 car in GT3, I never bothered with them.
I liked the rarer cars like the green MX-5 from Clubman Cup, the Alfa Speciale from 1000 miles, Camaro LM from Camaro race, Chevelle SS from muscle car event, RX-8 Concept from Tsukuba Wet, R5 Turbo from George V Paris, RSC Raid Car, Cien, GT40, GT LM II, there were a whole load of cars in the GT Series that I loved earining

I get where youre coming from. Working IRL and working in a videogame can clash. Sometimes I do just want to jump right in.

I just feel like the older games were more challenging/appealing, because it had a balance of work and reward. GT3 seemed a bit extreme though, but GT4 seemed milder and better balanced.

If you couldn't afford the newest and fastest, then there were the used cars which offered cheaper but good alternatives for high performing cars. The races didn't feel rigged either to me. Sure the A.I sucked but at least there was the provision of racing against
similar performing cars.

I just don't see that in GT5/6. I like seasonals because they add some extra flavor (no pun intended) to the game.

I get where youre coming from. Working IRL and working in a videogame can clash. Sometimes I do just want to jump right in.

I just feel like the older games were more challenging/appealing, because it had a balance of work and reward. GT3 seemed a bit extreme though, but GT4 seemed milder and better balanced.

If you couldn't afford the newest and fastest, then there were the used cars which offered cheaper but good alternatives for high performing cars. The races didn't feel rigged either to me. Sure the A.I sucked but at least there was the provision of racing against
similar performing cars.

I just don't see that in GT5/6. I like seasonals because they add some extra flavor (no pun intended) to the game.
I thought GT3 was a bit extreme as you often had to replay old races so that you had the credits to upgrade your car for the next race, while GT4, didn't require as much upgrading of your car (thanks to the UCD), and gave much more options when it came to races, even giving rewards for bronzing licences, and pretty good ones to, ranging from a Lupo to a 270R and a Skyline and it had the country and make specific races so you were never stuck to doing just one event.

Back