What would make Gran Turismo 7 a guaranteed purchase for you?

• Thread starter bremics
  • 537 comments

• Total voters
I don't believe in refresh upscaling. How would it even work? The point of a high refresh is to let the game react to your head movement with less delay. How exactly will a refresh "upscaler" do this? Will it predict what the next frame will be ahead of time? How will it know what the next frame will contain? How will it interpolate two points in time without having information about more than one point in time?

The best it can do it interpolate frames after they've been rendered, which doesn't allow for faster response in any way.

I'm probably not using the right words to describe it. I don't understand how it works - but from what I've read it seems to be a mechanism to prevent/reduce disorientation and its consequences.

I don't believe in refresh upscaling. How would it even work? The point of a high refresh is to let the game react to your head movement with less delay. How exactly will a refresh "upscaler" do this? Will it predict what the next frame will be ahead of time? How will it know what the next frame will contain? How will it interpolate two points in time without having information about more than one point in time?

The best it can do it interpolate frames after they've been rendered, which doesn't allow for faster response in any way.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-hands-on-with-the-near-final-project-morpheus
...the PS4 uses a form of frame-rate upscaling that Sony calls reprojection in order to give the illusion of a higher frame-rate. The idea is that midway between rendering each native image, the PS4 interpolates an intermediate frame based on revised motion data fed to the console from the HMD. Right now we'd say that the jury's out on the technology - it didn't exactly feel as though it was running at a significantly higher frame-rate and indeed, at some points it felt that the 60fps target wasn't adhered to. However, even if we're not quite dealing with super-slick perfection, the quality of the immersion is absolutely remarkable. This is VR that not only works but leaves a lasting impression. An hour on from the hands-on session and I'm still excited about it.

Unfortunately there is nothing they can do to guarantee a purchase from me. I have been a player since GT1 and have loved the series up to a point. GT was the only reason i bought PS1-3. I would not buy a PS4 now after GT5 & 6. Not the direction I would want.
I think PD has lost the ability to make a great game. PD needs a leadership change badly or Sony needs to get a whole new developer to take over the GT franchise. PD seems to be the most disconnected developer from their customers I've seen.

If GT7 wants m y vote then it must have:
More challenging AI (Such as GT3 and GT4, they were hard yet fun)
Return of proper endurance (and more real ones: 24hr Daytona, Bathurst 12 hr etc)
Race Classes- GT3, GT2, LMP, Group C etc
Definitely engine sounds (no excuses now they have hired the guy who did the Forza sounds)
Livery Editor
Better effects for rain, and better tyre effects (intermediate vs full wet)
WRC championships anyone?
Thats just a few i can think of now

A complete game. A game that delivers in both online and offline. Something the past two GT games has fail to do. Look at project cars for example, the game has a huge career mode which gives the game longevity already. Then you got single race and all the options you want to adjust the race to your liking. Then time trials with a leaderboard with different car classes. You get to download ghost and try to beat them. Then you got community events then the online itself which is getting better. Then soon they suppose to be adding custom season mode on there. I want GT7 to have longevity. I don't always wanna do online. What if it ain't no rooms up online and then what? Career mode is beaten already and single race im limited to some options. Also AI is not good. That's why GT7 needs to deliver a good online experience and offline experience.

Ha,:dopey:,lol that's funny,it isn't going to happen, sell it.

Or rather, not buy GT7+PS4 :P

edit: Let me expand on that. Considering the competition long surpassed the GT series, both on consoles and on the PC, then the sole reason why I'd play GT7 is that it supports my current wheel, as it would free me from the hassle of getting a new one. So, if I'm forced to get a new one to keep up with the times, then might as well play the better games than GT7.

Last edited:
For me, first and foremost, is quality over quantity. It just has to be consistent and realistic. I want all cars to be premium, even if that means less cars. Also, improved UI (I really miss the map from Simulation Mode), as well as improved sounds and AI. Oh, and customization for sure! And I mean, more customization than what we have at the moment, including real aftermarket parts (it would be really cool to actually build a race-spec Rocket Bunny FRS/BRZ), wider tires (like, we can choose our tire width)... This would greatly add to realism. It just looks so weird and unrealistic right now when we build a track beast that still has those thin tires lol

I voted for all but one of the options in the poll (more cars, pffft). Though really, the reasons are fluid; maybe GT7 comes with less tracks than GT6, but if they're all up to the quality of say, the 'Ring, with full dynamic time and weather, and visuals that aren't from the PS2 days, then I'd be fine with the number being slightly lower. I wouldn't count that against the game, at any rate.

Like a few others, I want quality, not quantity: GT7 needs to be a purely PS4-flexing, current-gen showcase. No decade-old recycled assets, no bloat. PD needs to put their best foot forward, especially after the PS3 era has proven to be less than favourable to them versus the last two. I want to see them wow us again, with more than just big numbers.

Although I'm still really enjoying GT6, I'll say that I think now's a good time for PD to go back to basics. Scrub everything and attack GT7 with the same attitude that they attacked GT1. I think they should pretend for a second they've never made a racing game before in their lives, and instead of trying to make GT into an "interactive automotive encyclopedia," they should simply try to make GT7 a vessel for every small little bit of automotive/racing passion they have. It would make for an experience that's as new and fresh and raw as GT1 was if executed properly.

You lose a little bit of response time for more smoothness. At best, you're introducing another 8ms of delay in order to get those extra frames. Possibly a bit more than that to allow for the processing, but possibly not depending on how they set it up.

I assume someone has done the work on what contributes more to the feeling of disorientation, 8ms of delay or double the frame rate. I expect that most humans probably tune 8ms out pretty fast, it's a fairly small fraction of usual input lag on titles. Whereas having higher frame rates makes a big difference in how things look. See 30fps movies vs 60fps movies vs 120fps. It's diminishing returns, but it's a real thing.

The point of refresh upscaling isn't to let the game react with less delay, because that's impossible below a certain point. It certainly can't be done external to the game and console. The point is to stop you getting motion sickness, and it would appear that smoothness does that and a bit more lag doesn't hurt.

I'll be getting it anyway, but I want quality over quantity.
Only premium cars (GT5/GT6 + PS4 cars) and beautiful tracks (not PS2 quality tracks)
Lots of features and different types of racings like Rally & ...
Thousands (!) of race events that take months to complete. this is one of the most aspects of the game for me. GT5/6 had more than 1000 cars and lots of tracks, but they were very short and you could complete events in 2 weeks or less. I'm a singleplayer person and want a GT with LOTS of events and races.

I'm gonna get it regardless. I enjoy GT and have since the very first one. There will be flaws, and I accept that, but at the same time I know things will get better and I'm looking forward to it no matter how long it'll take.

I'm getting it either way because I trust pd will do an amazing job on GT7, I just hope they take as much time as they need so that they'll make it perfect :)

Or rather, not buy GT7+PS4 :P

edit: Let me expand on that. Considering the competition long surpassed the GT series, both on consoles and on the PC, then the sole reason why I'd play GT7 is that it supports my current wheel, as it would free me from the hassle of getting a new one. So, if I'm forced to get a new one to keep up with the times, then might as well play the better games than GT7.
Well you'll either play on PS3 or PC then because its not supported on any other system.

I mostly play GT offline with my friends. So what I am looking for is AI racers in offline multiplayer(4 ai at least). And ability to drive and tune(for free) all of the cars in offline multiplayer also(removal of the favourite limit should do the trick too :lol:)
More challenging and responsive AI and a career mode like DingoDile mentioned in his post would be heaven for me.

All i want is that the game lasts. I remember GT4 it took me half a year to get 100% of game, and i played everyday.
And todays GT games you can finish it in under a month. Thats what i want, dont care what they do just make it last so i keep playing and playing and still no where near finish like in GT4. That means bring back the 24h races and other traditional long endurance races

All i want is that the game lasts. I remember GT4 it took me half a year to get 100% of game, and i played everyday.
And todays GT games you can finish it in under a month. Thats what i want, dont care what they do just make it last so i keep playing and playing and still no where near finish like in GT4. That means bring back the 24h races and other traditional long endurance races

That's the main problem i got with the last two GT games. It needs longevity.

Honestly, if you look at the competition and the recent sales numbers, all those things must be on their list. Some stuff need to be dropped asap (AI, engine sounds, standards, clones, paint chips...) and bring the whole concept up to date.

I'm an old fan, it's almost 20 years playing the games, so i'll try it anyway... but they MUST listen this time, and get it right... that's why i checked all the boxes.

Cheers!

Last edited:
What I think needs to happen is for PD and Kaz to go back to basics: starting with pre-PS3 releases (GT4 and back).
The biggest thing that would convince me to buy GT7 is to remove the tons of repeat cars (Example: there are like 40 different models of the same year Nissan Skyline), improvements in the online section (better and way more stable servers), and ALL of the old tracks back from GT4 and before (Seattle, El Capitan, etc).

My "secondary" thing that would make GT7 worth whatever the money is some better sounds, and to convert all of the standard cars to premium cars. I think we're at a point in time where there is so much technology that can be utilized in scanning a car's interior.

Other things: a wider selection of cars (like I said above, remove repeats and include more makes and models in each category), more car customization options, monthly DLC (not for any VGT, I mean real cars, that was promised before GT6 was released but never actually happened), and, because GT6 already has horns and headlight flashing, turn signals would be swell :sly: I also really miss GT mode where the interface was a map (especially GT4's GT Mode). Some of the classic songs I also miss.
And whatever happened to horn swapping from GT5? That would be nice to include in GT7 again.

All those things I would like to see in GT7, and if they all work correctly I will be convinced to buy this. If it's the same buggy, laggy experience as GT5 and GT6, then I'm keeping my money.

Last edited:
Removal of standards, challenging AI, deeper customization, and an exciting career mode. GT5 and 6 had none of those things, and if GT7 doesn't, I'll hold off buying a new Gran Turismo for the first time ever.

They could also do with streamlining and trimming away excess, gimmicks, and half-baked features. Like rally racing, which has been horribly underrepresented in the past two games. If they want to bring it back in the style of GT3 and 4, with loads of tracks and events, that's fine. But if they're gonna shoehorn it in, I'd rather not see it at all. If you're gonna do something, do it right.

Last edited:
I marked other,my PS3 bonked out so I picked up a PS4 and project cars as I knew it was coming to that anyway and I am so excited to get my sweaty hands on a gt7 I don't care whats in it.i'm sure I will have many years of fun from it.

As someone who has been loyal to PD & bought GT2-6 on release day,
following the crap dished up in GT6, it'll take glowing reviews from many different sources before PD see another dollar come from my pocket.
If they continue to use the stock PD library sounds,
If they insist on including standard cars,
If they just have to include clones of Skylines & Miata/MX-5s,
And most of all,
If they can't improve on the absolute insult that they call AI, I'm out for good.

Back