What would you recommend as the best car to start drifting with?

• Thread starter Rogue8
  • 303 comments
Rogue8
Thanks all for your replies. But i guess this leads me to another question.... Most of you have recommended that 250hp is ample to be able to drift a car. However, which mod do i do to a car to get that power?

go with the engine balancing, it increases your redline. even if the tach doesnt show it , my silvia varietta s15 can rev all the way to the top of the 8000 rpm tach, usefull when trying to sustain drifts through a long corner. this is the only permanent power upgrade i try to use in most cases, for tuning purposes.

as far as the NA/Turbo debate, this silvia has been my first NA tune drifter, and I kinda like it. Im not about to tell you the differences between the two cause i couldnt tell you. Just purchase a few of each, engine chip, and all the exhausts and you can pretty much play around with combinations to get the car to have exactly how much power you feel comfortable with.

I would suggest the S14 Silvia because it has one of the most balanced stock suspension when it comes to drifting. I would aslo suggest a stock RX7 FC or FD3S

d3p0
Without modifying the stock distrubuted braking system?
he has only a few mods but the car is stock(power wise). The mods he had to make were inforced and the brakes were changed along with the stablity system.. but the mods are very small things he could have done at the dealer.

d3p0
What do you mean they were enforced? Is that the guy with the carbon fiber hatch?
Trying to get back on TOPIC... but he was in the d1 series... he had to add a rollcage for safety reason and do some other small mods.

You're not eligible for the elimination rounds unless you attain a D1 license at drivers search. Being in drivers search does not mean you are in D1.

I agree go with full, more adjustment options. be sure to read the many available guides so you know what each component does. the more you work on your tuning and practice drifting, the more you will understand how each adjustment affects your car. im still learning, just now getting into the wonders of LSD adjustment finally but still not a pro with suspension by any means.

bon_air21
What is the best track to drift at ????

and what is the best drifting car????

this is one of my many pics

dude, stop spamming all the threads with the same question and actually look around. the answers are all here you just have to use the search button at the top of the page. its THAT simple...:irked:

Personally i think the best car to start of with is a Holden Monaro with road tyres and a few basic mods(na tuning,suspension,stage 1 wieght reduction maybe stage 2) and just practise on midfield reverse but thats just IMO

bon_air21
What is the best track to drift at ????

and what is the best drifting car????

this is one of my many pics
[blah]

wow...as a Canadian, I'm embarassed to call him my fellow countryman
2 questions that are actually sticky thread topics, and a pic posted out of place, shortly followed by a banning....
that has to be some sort of record for a single post....by looking at the others he made in his short stay he had it owed to him
i've never seen anything quite like it, and i've read probably 85% of the posts in this forum and a good chunk of the gt3 drift forum
what a nimrod

anyways, moving on
to answer the most recent question. I too would suggest racing suspension. Some of the options may at first look overwhelming to beginners, but better to learn right from the start. In all likelihood new drifters know something about the suspension tuning from racing - they just have to apply this knowledge to what they want the car to do for this new situation.

its entirely possible to drift on semi-racing, even stock suspension. No doubts there. But unless you plan to leave the car stock, you'd might as well go for the racing stuff just to unlock the extra customizability.

194GVan
I agree go with full, more adjustment options. be sure to read the many available guides so you know what each component does. the more you work on your tuning and practice drifting, the more you will understand how each adjustment affects your car. im still learning, just now getting into the wonders of LSD adjustment finally but still not a pro with suspension by any means.

Cool. I was just wondering about the suspension. Because I find that the stock LSD is easier to drift for me. and I dont' know how to tune the LSD.

d3p0
You're not eligible for the elimination rounds unless you attain a D1 license at drivers search. Being in drivers search does not mean you are in D1.
Are you talking about G1GP?

mugen_s2002
Would you recommand full-race suspension or semi-race suspension for beginners?
Ryen, your posts are getting vague.

I wouldn't recommend any suspension to a beginner.

Just take an effing Skyline and mess around with the tires and take it to different tracks and stuff.

Buy the R34 N1. It's the lightest one and it has V-Spec II.

That car on weak tires is an ideal drifter.

Literally tonnes of momentum and the most power of any car in it's class.

There's no wondercar that will teach you to be a masterful drifter.

You just have to be aware.

I might be making a video with one soon. So- be aware and you'll see what I mean.

Sloth
Are you talking about G1GP?

Ryen, your posts are getting vague.

I wouldn't recommend any suspension to a beginner.

Just take an effing Skyline and mess around with the tires and take it to different tracks and stuff.

Buy the R34 N1. It's the lightest one and it has V-Spec II.

That car on weak tires is an ideal drifter.

Literally tonnes of momentum and the most power of any car in it's class.

There's no wondercar that will teach you to be a masterful drifter.

You just have to be aware.

I might be making a video with one soon. So- be aware and you'll see what I mean.

Brock..... Even Delphic reason suggest getting a full suspension and reading up on how to set it up is a good way to start off drifting or just keep the stock suspension depending on the car.

Rogue8
G'day all.

Well, i consider myself as a great "grip" racer, but when it comes to drift, i'm sub standard.

For noobs like me, what car would you recommend as the best car to start practicing drift with?

Thanks in advance.
Try the s2000 with some settings from the settings depo.
Its really easy to drift...

Ryen49
Brock..... Even Delphic reason suggest getting a full suspension and reading up on how to set it up is a good way to start off drifting or just keep the stock suspension depending on the car.
Exactly.

Unless you plan on reading for an hour and practicing the tuning techniques explained until you understand them completely and can tune the car so it handles exactly the way you want it to, while still recognizing the absolute limits of the car, and only then stepping up (or down rather) to drift tuning... seriously, stick with the stock suspension settings.

Some cars already have really good settings and just need a bit more power.

In drifting, some weight can be an advantage, so don't mess with the stock weight.

Reducing weight can also alter the feel of the suspension, so it's better not doing so until you're capable of accounting for that.

In terms of power, I would advise against tuning over 400ps.

In JGTC the GT500 class has a 500ps output limit on all cars, yet so many drivers insist on using 460-470ps.

I'm not even gonna say the word..

All I can say is, find a car that works (any of the cars recommended) and go do it.

Experience is the greatest teacher.

You'll pick up the finer points along the way.

Get out there!

And remember: smoothness is key.

After having a chance to test the S13 out in GT4, I must say that it remains the ideal base for learning how to drift (in stock form with economy tires).

It's slightly underpowered, but the extremely low-grip tires balance things out.

Steering response isn't jerky and sudden, so it's easy to learn smoothness and linking alternate direction corners.

Ignore the above post.

If you haven't tried drifting yet, or are still very new to it, take an S13 Nissan Silvia and put N1 Economy tires on it and just stick with it until you can control the car.

If you don't understand what I mean by that, just do as I say and it will come to you.

The S13 was the car that everyone recommended to everyone back in the GT3 daze.

And so, I still uphold that recommendation to all inexperienced drifters.

But, I suppose my word goes only as far as how respected my skill is, and since no one has ever seen what I can do, I must leave this as my sincere word until I have footage to prove myself.

In fact, tomorrow I will record a small section (or two) being done with this car.

The link will be posted here some time tomorrow evening.

Again, this is my word.

I would request that people leave this to me, because an effort to complete this task before me will be severely out done.

Again- you have my word.

Unfortunately, I am late for something, so leaving this on a positive note will have to wait until tomorrow.

:)

I have high expectations for you Sloth... The S13 is a good car to use a beginner car. It's nature to understeer will force beginners to shift the weight properly. Right?

Try the Infiniti G35. Use N3 tires. No mods, maybe an oil change. Handles great, very controllable mid drift. Great braking drifter. Will find more, but I have found that I can drift with just about any rear drive or awd car, with N3 tires of course. I will try to find great beginner drifters. Oh yeah the GTO/Monaro is a great beginner. Actually tell you what, you try buying different cars that interest you and have some fun. Good luck.

You can't do oil change in arcade mode, and I personally would rather not have to mess with the power every time.

Yes, Md, the weight shift will seriously reduce understeer but you must still obey the limits of the car.

Especially with the N1 tires.

ie. Slamming on the brakes will result in terminal understeer as usual.

Also, before throwing grippier tires on it in an attempt to reduce understeer, please understand that the car will not drift with even slightly more grippy tires. Like N2 Comfort tires? -You will lose momentum as fast as you can rotate the car sideways.

But the car is set up to handle very smoothly on most racing surfaces, and controlling the weight becomes rather easy with even the slightest experience in the car.

Weight transfer control, like while grip driving, is essential while drifting. It can make or break a link or that perfect smooth exit on the last corner in a section. Also called smoothness.

Although, throttle and steering control are identically vital, so you must hone your skills and know exactly what you want.

I could write a crazy elaborate philosophy on drifting and hold it up as good as a D1 driver would if he was living by it. But instead I will leave at this.

Use the car until you can drift proficiently.

You will not regret taking my advice, as it only gets harder from there.

Drifting is what you make it, but this remains a fantastic start for all.

I find the S13 and the S14 in arcade to be pretty sweet cars despite the lack of power in thier stock form.. Other than that they are very good starter drift cars.

With the tires used, I'd hardly call it a 'lack' of power.

Give me an hour or so..

---------------------------------------

..almost three hours later:

I've clocked about 70 laps on Autumn Ring, but it's just been more like playing with this car.

It's pretty fun, but I'll stop messing around and start filming after I eat.

Apologies to those who saw this post and have been checking back every so often.

Well i just bought a '95 Mazda Rx-7 (FD,J) and put normal 2 tires on it. I set the Driving Aids as follows: Oversteer: 0 Understeer: 5 Traction Control: 0. This set up is great for drifting. I am having a blast with this car, once I buy a T.V. Tuner i will post some drift vids. I left the car completely stock except the normal tires which are free anyways.

Latest Posts

Back