What would you recommend as the best car to start drifting with?

• Thread starter Rogue8
  • 303 comments
BMW M5 with N2(comfort) tyres, i chose to lower it with a racing suspension. Nothing more. At all. Drift it.

GT4 jedi, im glad you're having fun with it, that is of course the main aim, but others may moan about your use of ASM. It just ain't how it's done round here. But, as long as you're having fun, who cares?

This is the car I learned with, and I love it. 00' Mazda Miata MX-5 1800RS

Parts:
oil change
semi-racing exhaust
sports racing chip
N2 tires
brake controller
semi-racing suspension
triple plate clutch

Settings:
brake controller: 5|19
spring rate: 4.5|2.5
ride height: 106|106
shocks: 8|5
camber: 2.5|1.0
asm & tcs = 0
stock lsd

I recommand stock cars first, you need to grip and know the track pretty well (lines, clipping point). Then try a easy car, i suggest old RX-7 FD3S (Type R, Type R-S, Type RZ, etc.) because this car can grip or drift, the racers are more enjoy for the RX-7 Silvia understeers a lot so it's pretty hard to drift (Use N2 Confort tires). The S2000 is about the same. The stiffness of the car is pretty good. (For FR cars)

4WD cars : I think the GT-R is very fast no matter grip or drift. It's very stable too. Lancer Evolution has a little of oversteer too but it's very hard (no AYC installed for the Lancer Evolution stock in GT4 👎 ).

Afterall, just decide the car you desire, then tune the suspension with Confort Tires (less understeer than N1 Economy Tires). The less horsepowers will be easier to step on the pedal.

ok im a total rookie at the art of drifting but i the first car i took out was a dodge charger superbee with the settings i found for it in this very forum.

the drifts i managed to hook up were so easy to achive it was blinding.

so anyone who wants a good learing car should try that imo :)

i started drifting with a Toyota trueno, Suzuki Cappa '95, and my all time fave; the sil80!

for a beginner at drifting, i foud these cars to be pretty easy to get sideways after some help from the settings depot here! 👍

i also recently tuned my corvette grand sport and it works pretty good too. (see settings in drift settings section)

DRIFT GOD
R32 skyline around 300hp 👍
GT-R or GTS-T? :)

Anyways, I started off with the Trueno, then the AW11 MR2 (annoying as heck to drift because of so much oversteer, in the end went back to the Trueno) , (then after lots of hardgrip driving to win races) now working on the Grand Sport Corvette and ZR-1 corvette :dopey:

Victor Vance
GT-R or GTS-T? :)

Anyways, I started off with the Trueno, then the AW11 MR2 (annoying as heck to drift because of so much oversteer, in the end went back to the Trueno) , (then after lots of hardgrip driving to win races) now working on the Grand Sport Corvette and ZR-1 corvette :dopey:

ya mr2 are pretty tough. i think its mostly due to the fact that its a MR car (correct me if im wrong) and the weight just handles alot differently. definitly not a beginners drifting car.

eSPy
ya mr2 are pretty tough. i think its mostly due to the fact that its a MR car (correct me if im wrong) and the weight just handles alot differently. definitly not a beginners drifting car.

actually my first drift car was a NSX which i find to drift quite well. easy to get loose and hold huge angles. but that is just me what do i know? i suggest a 240sx as a first drift car, i started to relearn the basics because i feel that i use huge amount of HP to drift the car. so i decided to use the 240sx and find it quite well to drift with only 250hp, n1 tires,suspension tuning, and drivetrain mods. just go with whatever you like, stick with it and get use to it.

Race drifting = Amuse R1 TITAN
Exhibition drifting = Lotus Elise 111R with little modification on the suspension
good luck 👍

Rogue8
G'day all.

Well, i consider myself as a great "grip" racer, but when it comes to drift, i'm sub standard.

For noobs like me, what car would you recommend as the best car to start practicing drift with?

Thanks in advance.
All the 240´s and the silvia´s are really good cars 2 go drifting with, later when u get better get the more expensive cars, then give it a try. :sly: A u dont need all the much hp either.

extreme car
Race drifting = Amuse R1 TITAN
Alright..

If you insist on calling it race drifting; by all means, do.

But please do not refer to it as if it were some sort of activity.

It just gives people the wrong idea.

There was already a huge discussion on this subject, which you may have missed.

In which case, I don't blame you.

Just go easy on the R bomb in the D forum.

:)

On topic:
I'll see about posting a bit of an S13 vid today, just to prove its worth.

In fact, I'll start on that now~

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've been talking to your brother about how ungratifying drifting is in GT4 as well.

The conclusion I have come to is to just forget about it and focus on lap times (which is still really fun) until LFS S2 comes out, taking it to another level.

We both agreed that it was strange how grip driving could be more entertaining than drifting in this game, but I'm starting to think that's what was intended.

www.mypctuneup.com
http://messenger.msn.com

Scan-uninstall-reinstall

If that doesn't work then I guess you're s.o.l.

http://www.lavasoft.com/
http://freeav.com/

Also-

1'23.959
Motegi East
Cusco Advan Impreza

I dare you.

See you in S2.

start with an s13 silvia, its well balenced and has good power
i reccomend it with all the best upgrades except a 2-way lsd, stage 2 turbo, and N3 tires

Well on the basis of this thread i went out and bought a 200sx. I bought everything except no tranny mods for it so it has about 450bhp. Standard settings on everything...

It seems power corrupts...i can't control the thing, at all, and it's annoying that it can't get the power down in the first 3 gears (with hard sport tyres on the back).

Can anyone recommend (drift) good setting for the 200sx? It's not like i'm a newbie to the game, i seriously can't control the thing!

-Rob

BlackNSX
Well on the basis of this thread i went out and bought a 200sx. I bought everything except no tranny mods for it so it has about 450bhp. Standard settings on everything...

It seems power corrupts...i can't control the thing, at all, and it's annoying that it can't get the power down in the first 3 gears (with hard sport tyres on the back).

Can anyone recommend (drift) good setting for the 200sx? It's not like i'm a newbie to the game, i seriously can't control the thing!

-Rob

mmmm....I wonder why:lol:........:idea:it needs somewhere in the 250bhp range, with N tyres, N1 or N2 I would choose, but no sports tyres.
With so much BHP, for me it's no wonder you can't control it, it has ffaaarrrr to much wheelspin with that set up. This HP range is basic knowledge of what you should NOT do, so remember that FR cars need like 250BHP or something, or it's more powerfull in the stock version already........but that's another way to "identify" good drift cars, just low BHP.

If you have done that your much closer to becoming a good drifter.

I started with an RX7 Bathurst. Worked pretty good for me, and was easy to learn after a couple laps. Workin with a Lancer Evo TME RS right now, after playin with the settings, i've got it drifting pretty nice. Its all personal preference though, whatever ya like, and whatever works for you.
For settings, you should check the drift settings thread on this page. Most of those settings will work, or should atleast be easy to learn.

BlackNSX
Ok i'll start over again! I thought all drift cars had major BHP though...?

Naa, to much wheel spin, only those D1 cars have pretty much BHP, and AWD drift cars need much BHP, but not normal stock FR cars

in GT3 I had a 500BHP supra, it drifted like a dream, but now in GT4 things have changed, and it's no longer possible to drift that good with that amount of BHP

The delorean is the best drift car, PERIOD.

On el-Capitan you can stay sideways the ENTIRE TRACK with little to no counter steer and it wont go out of control very easily either.

I have a horrible fetish for old 80's japanese cars tho, i currently run an 83 lancer. I love it to death.

I'm rather fond of the Ruf RGT

I saw the Ruf BTR with N3's suggested, but it's got a peaky powerband, and the turbo lag can kill drifts until you get accustomed to it, plus those old Porsches loved to hurl you assfirst into the armco.

Ruf RGT, Naturally Aspirated, Rear engined, Rear wheel drive...

Turn the aids off, change the oil, put N3/N2 tires on it, and try to make it around a lap of your chosen course...it takes more work to not drift with it, and it's very easy to catch once you learn the "throttle off-slide-throttle on-countersteer-countersteer-throttle off-reverse the steering" rhythm that goes with it.

Makes some beautiful drifts too...MR cars are a blast, but that RGT will always have a place in my garage.

With N2 Front/N1 Rears, you will be pulling off some slides that make you look a lot better than you really are...I know, I do it all the time.

IMHO all FR cars with N1 tyres can drift... You don't even need the silly messing with the suspention either! :yuck:

My favourite simple drifters are:

-Mitsubishi Lancer 1600GSR Turbo '83
-Mazda MX-5 '89
-Nissan Skyline DOHC Turbo '83
-Nissan Skyline GTRS-25 '89
-Nissan Skyline 'Ken & Mary' '67
-Mercedes E190 Evo2 '91
-Renault Clio Sport V6 24V '00
-Toyota MR2 G AW11 '85
-Lexus GS300 '96
-Holden Monaro
-etc. etc.

You see, it's no use only to drive Japanese cars ^_^ The Mercedes E190 drifts like hell too! It's so easy! Just attack a corner viciously and drift! :dopey:

Mazda Miata NR-A on N2/N1.

When you think it's time to brake, start to turn.

When you think you're going to fly off the track, start to brake, and then hit the gas.

Back