What would you recommend as the best car to start drifting with?

• Thread starter Rogue8
  • 303 comments
I started with a Skyline GTR, and after a couple of days a handled it pretty well... but my GT disc did not work for over half a year, because my PS2 didn't read all my disc's but it's cleaned since a week so I can finally play GT again :D... So when I played GT again, I get my Skyline out the garage and wanted to go drifting... but I couldn't get the hang of it anymore, so I adjusted the settings a bit and it worked well again...

But now I want to drift with cars wich can get a wider angle, so I was looking for a FR car... I thought a RX-7 (tuned) would do the trick, well it didn't I only spinned in corners... Starting with a AWD is not good, because I think that when you first learn te drift with a FR you can also drift an AWD (maybe not directly but just easier)...

I practiced drifting the whole afternoon with a FR car... I seached this tread a bit and I started with a MR2... it didn't go well, so I picked the Sylvia S13... This was first also a bit hard, but I am getting the hang of it now... I do really agree to start with a low power vehicle at first, but I think the long turns are a bit longer te drift with those cars...

So for now, I just stick to this car and practice a lot... I am improving already and yes practice really does the trick :D

toyota supra .. naah really ... it is really easy to get it started and after a few laps u would be able to controll it .. go easy on the throtle or it will spin out .. this cars drifts :)

WELL the best car would be the S2000 amuse...the one with out the spoiler.
with N1 tires it's very easy to lose traction and can get sideways by pointing the nose of the car...also very well balanced car with great steering response

if there is a refrence car this should be it....i would like if you guys would try it and get back to me on how it feels

I tried the S2000, but for me it's not the greatest car to start drifting with... spinning aroud to often while drifting... But maybe I am even less then beginner :D

its all about driver preference, as said by other ppl.

Personally i prefer 4WD cars to FR or MR,

so i would have a Mitsubishi Evo 8.

uve gotta find a car type that u feel most comfotable drifting with,

then slap on some N2's, tune the suspension, and about 300-350BHP should do it nicely.

(i prefer over 400, but meh:crazy: )

I prefer the FR, because, I suck at 4WD drifts. My drift stable right now includes a Supra RZ, to the tune of about 550 horse, on super hard race tires. A 280Z pumped to 245 horse on N1's, this car is a ton of fun to drift, the thing will almost hold a drift with no input once you initiate it. My newest car turned drifter is a Shelby GT350 with a supercharger and a few other baubles putting out 462 horses, on super hard race tires. I don't have the Mustang quite tuned yet, but it responds well to pretty much every technique.

Trike Kid
I prefer the FR, because, I suck at 4WD drifts. My drift stable right now includes a Supra RZ, to the tune of about 550 horse, on super hard race tires. A 280Z pumped to 245 horse on N1's, this car is a ton of fun to drift, the thing will almost hold a drift with no input once you initiate it. My newest car turned drifter is a Shelby GT350 with a supercharger and a few other baubles putting out 462 horses, on super hard race tires. I don't have the Mustang quite tuned yet, but it responds well to pretty much every technique.
im sorry, but ive spent about 5 minutes trying to think of what you ment there... and i still dont know.
please check your spelling of each post. i try to, sometimes a messed up word gets to the actual post, but i go back and edit them out when i notice them.

I prefer 4WD above FR or MR too, because 4WD are much easier to control in a drift and the allmost never spin out... but with the 4WD I can't get a great angle, and I would like to learn the other drivetrain cars too :)... I tried MR yesterday asswel, a NSX... it's a little bit easier to hold in the turns... but it is not that much drifferent from a FR I think... (it was stock though)

Long Tacks/Wide Corners:

2003 Dodge Viper SRT10 ------------------------------------------ 983HP
1999 Dodge Viper GTS -------------------------------------------- 974HP
2000 Nissan Skyline GTR34 ---------------------------------------- 814HP
1996 Nissan 240SX ----------------------------------------------- 436HP
1996 Nissan 240SX (S14) ----------------------------------------- 426HP

Middle Length/ Corners:

2000 Nissan Skyline GTR34 ---------------------------------------- 814HP
1999 Subaru Impreza WRX type-R STI Version VI ------------------- 496HP
2003 BMW Z4 ---------------------------------------------------- 418HP

Short Tracks/Sharp Corners:

2000 Nissan SKyline GTR34 ---------------------------------------- 814HP
1983 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX ----------------------------- 248HP
1988 Toyota Supra 3.0GT Turbo A --------------------------------- 610HP

The Vipers are a little tricky but they can be managed by not turbo/supercharged because it messes with the wheel speed mid-drift.
besides that I suggest the 240sx's because they can be used on any type of track an that removes one extra element to learn immediatly.

I havn't tried out an S14 yet. I have drifted an S13 and both S15 s and r versions and they seemed good. I have read alot of stuff about the S14 being better. I'll have to take her for a spin. :)

I started with the S2000 from the FR Guide, but quickly moved to the Trueno, gotta love the Trueno. Great for learning me thinks. 👍

Yeah! I suggest the Trueno, it seems to get your skill up fast. Did for me anyway. :sly: Just try cars you like, no point trying to learn drifting in a car you don't like. :)

what?? to START drifting you most likely need something a LOT lower powered than that, to get used to holding the drift etc.

I think I'd recommend the S2000 setup in the FR Drift Guide, this is where i started, and IMO I've only improved since :sly:

A good car is the Honda S2000 V-spec, and use the settings in the Drift Settings forum. It has just enough power, plus with the long nose and rear cockpit, you have a lot more weight in the back than if you had a long trunk. Plus it has a good wheelbase, and not too much power, but still enough to get the wheels spinning!

good carto start drifting with is a Race Car..haha with TCS of course if you're a noob. Im drifting with a stiff R92CP

Wrong!!! If you are a noob, TCS OFF!!! NO AIDS EVER!!! You will learn faster without it and you will be a better drifter.

A good car is the Honda S2000 V-spec, and use the settings in the Drift Settings forum. It has just enough power, plus with the long nose and rear cockpit, you have a lot more weight in the back than if you had a long trunk. Plus it has a good wheelbase, and not too much power, but still enough to get the wheels spinning!

Wrong!!! If you are a noob, TCS OFF!!! NO AIDS EVER!!! You will learn faster without it and you will be a better drifter.
Don't correct an opinion, IMO PREFER TCS, so don't go around being testy aobut what someone should do and not to do..Learn your manners and USE it..

Don't correct an opinion, IMO PREFER TCS, so don't go around being testy aobut what someone should do and not to do..Learn your manners and USE it..

You are correct, and I apologize. I didn't mean for that to sound harsh... What I said should have been more like: "MOST drifters prefer to not use TCS. The reason for this is that it hones skills faster, kind of like playing against people of a higher caliber. Most threads you will find state that you should turn all AIDS off." So, yeah, I was quick to speak, and I didn't mean for it to sound commanding, after all, drift tuning is all about setting up the car to get it sideways in turns in such a way as to be comfortable to you. Just like with the settings threads, those should be used as guides, and you make changes from there.

I will try to think before I speak, and read my posts as from another's perspective to avoid any more upset. Also, you should read my NEWCOMER post where I introduce myself... I made a forewarned apology for just such cases. Thank you, though, I need to be kept humble at times.

Sorry to those I offended :guilty:

DeSwyft & 67Mach5_Driver

Both of you need to moderate your tone and attitude, as new members I would strongly advise that you do not make your initial impact here at GT Planet a negative one.

If you draw the attention of the staff in this manner again I can promise you that further action will be taken.

Thanks in advance

Scaff

Scaff,

I don't intend to step off on the wrong foot. As I stated before, I unintentionally said something negative, and didn't do my diligence to re-read it before submitting. I apologize and it will not happen again.

Scaff,

I don't intend to step off on the wrong foot. As I stated before, I unintentionally said something negative, and didn't do my diligence to re-read it before submitting. I apologize and it will not happen again.

Not a problem at all and my thanks for the apology, may I also take the opportunity to welcome you to GT Planet and hope that you find all your GT needs (and more) here.

👍

Scaff

Back