What would you recommend as the best car to start drifting with?

• Thread starter Rogue8
  • 303 comments
Scaff, Honestly just because someone types something in capitals doesn't neccessarily means its a bad attitude.. I could've been just "BOLDLY" stating something so someone would get the main idea or the important keyword to the message of the post.

i started drifting on gt4 like 2 days ago. and consider myself pretty dam good for only having a few days experience

i tried drifting heaps of cars , but the car that i first started to actually control my drift and link corners etc was the D1 rx7 (fc) with stock settings, no aids and n2 tyres. (should be around 400hp)

get any of the d1 cars if you can; they are the best for the job, as you dont need to spend time screwing with the suspension settings etc.

... or failing that get the sileighty.. all that needs is about 300hp and leave the settings put n2 tyres on it.. and you have a near perfect drift set up for under 100 grand

Im sorry, I'm new to this drifting thing, but in most of the posts i have read, nearly everyone says that you should put N1/N2 tyres on front and rear respectivley...why? I thought putting R1s on, since they have less grip, would be the way to go. Am i not right?

Grip runs like this.

Normal tires have less than Sports, and sports have less than racing.

R1 are a racing tire, so they always have more grip than any sport or normal tire.

N1's ahve the least grip in the game, followed by N2's then N3's and then s1, s2, and so on

Ahhh, makes sense. Ya see, reading the scrolling text at the bottom of the screen, convinced me into thinking that R1s have the least grip, it doesnt specify that Sports have less grip and Normal have even less. Thanks

Hachiroku(AE86 levin or trueno)

oil change
racing intake/exhaust
chip
engine balance
polish ports
sports suspension
(126mm front height, 126mm rear hieght, front damper 5, rear damper 4, front camber 1.0-1.5, rear 0.0-0.5)
race brakes
sports clutch
sports flywheel
2-way LSD
N1 or N2 tires

This set up brings the horse power of the car to exactly 150hp(147hp in races). this is enough power to get the Hachiroku sideways and fast enough to stay in the powerband to dynamic drift. One thing I noticed that I did not know is that the '83 Levin and Trueno comes with a open differential and do not come stock with a LSD. When I put the 2-way LSD on the car it made a world of difference. You can run almost full throttle with this car which is really cool. You dump into a corner at full throttle and come out full throttle. I was doing a few races with it and was amazed at how quick this car can be once it gets going. I can see why it is used on the downhills. Any sort of decline and this thing picks up speed a lot faster. Hachiroku is still the best car to learn how to drift. 👍

Im sorry, I'm new to this drifting thing, but in most of the posts i have read, nearly everyone says that you should put N1/N2 tyres on front and rear respectivley...why? I thought putting R1s on, since they have less grip, would be the way to go. Am i not right?

Also, mixing tires is bad. Go with N2's or N1's all around. I usually go with N2's no matter what I'm drifting(except for AWD in which mixing isn't all bad). it makes it easier on your car and easier for your settings then when you mix the tires.

I thought I would just throw that out there :)

Im using an M3 GTR '03 to begin drifting with N2s all round. Im also using manual as i find it is easier to drift with. My GTR has about 500hp and i seem to be getting the hang of linking drifts. I can drift reasonably well, but holding it and linking drifts is difficult...but then again, thats what drifting is all about, so i guess that means im no good at drifting:sly:

Im using an M3 GTR '03 to begin drifting with N2s all round. Im also using manual as i find it is easier to drift with. My GTR has about 500hp and i seem to be getting the hang of linking drifts. I can drift reasonably well, but holding it and linking drifts is difficult...but then again, thats what drifting is all about, so i guess that means im no good at drifting:sly:

yeah, the m3's have a very smooth handling, and are easy to go sideways, but are heavy and its very difficult to recover from a failed drift. rx7 is much better.
I have made 500 km with a m3.Its a very good "beginner" choice.👍

a low ps car like a levin, trueno. s13. 180sx or the fd3's, fc3's
and ps like suzuki said 150-260ps and start stock if your having a bad start off

I recommend rally cars with Standard Tires, they're VERY easy to accomplish, I only have problems with it yawwing, then slowing down significantly.

Miata/MX-5'04 is good for beginners. if you feel that it's too frantic, try BMW 120i/d, it's heavier and oversteers slightly less, and doesn't require so much attention.

Ill just add my input..

I think you just got to go pick some cars (FR, maybe AWD) that are known for drifting (200SX, SilEighty, 240SX, Hachiroku, etc) and play with them and see what you like. The reason why you are getting different opinions is everyone has a different style. I used to be the Hi-Po drifter that would just power over or whatever but now I also use lower power cars on weaker tires and e-brake to initiate my drift. Some people will tell you to use a certain car but before I learned to drift I didn't know what the heck those people were thinking, but everyone has a different way.

Now, a car that I tried and had very much fun with (even without ebraking at all) was the Honda CRX (1990 I think). I used the settings for the Civic EG in the Drift settings depot and made a few changes. That thing was very controllable, barely spun out, and best of all, you didn't have to crank on the e-brake just to get it around a bend.

Good luck, you'll find your style.

I think the best car is as everyone says s14,s15, 240sx or hachiroku (trueno 86), but i find a stock evo vIII with all aids off the best. I developed it from time to time and its very drifter friendly. I'll post some pics soon.

I say the 1998 Nissan Slivia K's. It is a great car for the first time drifter to create. With almost no "technical" modifications, it can drift beautifully.

I'm not sure about you guys but I'm kinda picky with my cars. Now i've only been drifting for about 4 months but have seen enough to give an educated response.

I tried several cars:

S15 Spec R - Beautiful car handles great, easy to learn on.

Rx-7 FC ( j ) - Also a great car but just like in real life it has some understeer problems, plus I found you may have to feather the gas after coming out of a turn to keep from spinning out or having that nasty snap back.

S2000 - Really fun car, really light car, easy to drift. Only 1 con for me is the weight. Its kinda light but it can be fixed.

Trueno 00' Shigeno Ver. - If you're an initial D buff I'm sure you're all over this car, I don't recomment these for beginners. But its fun once you get the hang of it!

Okay theres my two cents, these are my personal thoughts from experience.

Advocate out~

A S13 K's 2.0 liter with a stage 2 turbine, L.S.D, transmission, and N2's is great. Very good car to learn on because it requires good steering to get a good drift. Another good way to go is, practice witha stock FD on n2 tires, fror a few, then move on to the blitz then move back to whatever car you like. Thats what I did.

This is a good thread.

We need a universal drift car to recommend to people..

I'd say, if you wanna learn 'what' drifting is, try an MR-2 Spyder (MR-S) with N1 tires and mess around on Driving Park for a while.

If you want to learn how to drift, I'd say take any late model RX-7 with N2 tires and go to Deep Forest or Grand Valley. Just attack corners and see how long you can keep a drift going for.

It's hard to say really.

Everything drifts. Just some things drift better than others.

*shrugs*

i like the late model rx7, i have a falken rx7 that drifts awesome. good first drift car, you can easily drift it stock.

Back