What would your reaction be if GT5 news is unreleased in E3 2009?

  • Thread starter Thread starter patriotzero
  • 92 comments
  • 8,415 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im just thinking of my death brother.. and wonder if he would like GT5... If PD hurry up, he probably have see it.....
SO yes I am hesty......... Release it... once and for all!!!
 
One more point about those who prefer a rushed GT5 with patches to fix things later.

Forza 2 was rushed, since it was about six months late from the holiday launch window they intended to make in 2006. They swore up and down until early that spring that there would be 12 car races, all the content and race styles from Forza 1 and more, yadda yadda. Well, in late Feb-early March, their tune began to change. It would be the same 8 car races as before. Street racing and touge were axed, and so some of the cool tracks like Fuji didn't make it. The car models and graphics were having some issues. People began to throw fits on the boards like some of us are now. But when Forza 2 came out, initially all was forgiven.

But then bugs began rearing their heads in weird places. You couldn't scroll through a garage full of liveried cars or most 360s would crash. The same for the Auction House, and worse, if you crashed or inadvertently disconnected, it could ban you from Live! You could only own around 350 cars total, even if you had a hard drive, and I'm afraid there was a limit on replays too. The livery editor was flawed, so that when you painted up a car, and especially if it had intricate details like carbon fiber or decals you created, the layers would shift around each time you raced- sometimes if you simply took a pic in the "garage." And because the game wasn't 720/1080 native, small adjustments or small values in the livery editor would get skewed after some time, and you'd have to save and reboot. If you had a "locked" livery that someone gave you to keep it from being copied, you couldn't fix it after a race, so the layers would get increasingly messed up, which really sucked because there were some astounding artists out there.

Well, we asked Turn 10 to fix these, and many other flaws besides. As far as I know, they only corrected flaws in the performance index system to keep cars from being way faster or more powerful than their rating. So we complained. Then we rioted. Nothing changed, either because it was just too broken an engine, or the work would have been too much.

Believe me, you want Gran Turismo 5 to be done right to start with, or the complaints about the penalty system will be nothing in comparison.
 
I think most of us understand if GT5 development takes a long time.

What I would like though, is NEWS...
 
This is the thing, I do not care when GT5 comes out. I want it to come out when it is good and ready. I just want some news. A new car revealed every week on the PS Blog. A new track every month or so. Even if GT5 came out in late 2010 only a small fraction of the game would be revealed. People say well PD does not have time for this. Posting something on the PS Blog takes all of about an hour.
 
This is the thing, I do not care when GT5 comes out. I want it to come out when it is good and ready. I just want some news. A new car revealed every week on the PS Blog. A new track every month or so. Even if GT5 came out in late 2010 only a small fraction of the game would be revealed. People say well PD does not have time for this. Posting something on the PS Blog takes all of about an hour.

But it probably isn't PD's choice to release information, this is something many people seem to be ignoring. Sony are the publisher and in most cases the publisher either releases information or tells the developer when they can release information.
 
This is the thing, I do not care when GT5 comes out. I want it to come out when it is good and ready. I just want some news. A new car revealed every week on the PS Blog. A new track every month or so. Even if GT5 came out in late 2010 only a small fraction of the game would be revealed. People say well PD does not have time for this. Posting something on the PS Blog takes all of about an hour.
For someone at PD to write something up takes all of about an hour. For it to then go through marketing for approval, converted to HTML with all the links in the proper place and everything else takes longer.

And then if it does not pass approval they have to go back and re-write it.

And if it is a developer that does want to get close interaction with the fans they will likely have to have someone who sits an responds to comments for at least a full day, if not more.

And all that is based on if Sony is willing to let information about one of their best selling games out that could be used by competitors in any way whatsoever.


Trust me, in a competitive business world passing out information is not as simple as typing up a comment, copying and pasting in an image link, and then clicking on Post. I have seen the Pain producers say on their own site that they will have a post on the Blog on a certain day. Then on the day they say that Sony postponed their post, then a few days later he says that it is getting reviewed again and something has to be removed so he has to rewrite it, and then a huge firmware comes out so he got delayed again. It has actually taken two weeks for a post to get made on occasion, and as the producer he has been making calls, sending emails, and going to meetings to discuss this post. Add in that on occasion he has even just said something about working on a post now that should be ready next week.

A PlayStation Blog post gets as much attention as any other press release or advertisement. Large companies have a huge protocol for this kind of thing. To this day I am honestly surprised that they even have an official Blog for this stuff because the amount of effort that goes into just revealing info to our own employees here at work, without risking tipping our competitors is huge.


All that said, if they could do something like you described it would be nice.
 
Explain how saying x car is being made for gt5 is risky for a company.

I have sold my ps3 already, and yes I will buy again but only when gt5 does come out.

Quite frankly I don't expect damage to be incorporated, nor any day to night transition.

That would prolly add another year to its production. But I'll be honest if they dont release it with damage I'll wait until it becomes a greatest hit and buy it for cheap.
 
Explain how saying x car is being made for gt5 is risky for a company.
It depends on what we are talking about. If they say it will have a Civic Si, then on one will care much. In fact, the whiners will complain that they still aren't saying anything. So, to have a meaningful post it will have to be a car that builds at least a little excitement. So, once they start revealing things to create buzz for the game the competition starts finding ways to build their own buzz.

Does PD/Sony want to get into a press release battle with Turn 10/Microsoft? No.

And then if they are revealing their newsworthy cars or tracks Turn 10 can start working to find ways to out do that in Forza 3.

So, it is either bad PR for still not giving the fans anything they think is worthwhile or it is showing their hand a bit to the competition before the big reveal.

Also factor in that millions are likely spent on setting up huge events for things like E3 that would be wasted if too much information gets out earlier.

I have sold my ps3 already, and yes I will buy again but only when gt5 does come out.
Too bad you are missing out on all the other great games on PS3. One has to wonder why you bought it before GT5 had an announced release date.
 
I bought the ps3 because of gt5p, and even though it was a taste of what's to come the lack of news really kills it.

If I want "Great" console games I'll go buy a cheap xbox360, you know the ones that dont give you the dreaded rod (hard to find, I know).

Putting that aside releasing the new civic si may not excite a lot of ppl but I would care.
I like to drive anything in four wheels (except a delorean keep those in the movies plz)

Sure, releasing info about upcoming cars would tip the competition, but what if the competition is releasing a game with different features and cars than you are already, do you really think they would care about which cars you will release.

They are releasing info about protype cars, so doing a blog about regular cars that are being released in gt5 would stir some excitement to the many carclubs around the net.
 
I bought the ps3 because of gt5p, and even though it was a taste of what's to come the lack of news really kills it.

If I want "Great" console games I'll go buy a cheap xbox360, you know the ones that dont give you the dreaded rod (hard to find, I know).
So, let me get this straight. You bought a PS3 for GT5P, and never, ever intended to use it for any other games or even Blu-Ray movies? Ever. Because if you did want any other games you should have a 360 instead?

Considering the tons of games I play on my PS3 and all the other uses, I'm confused.

Anyway, I am sorry that a lack of news killed it, whatever that means.

Putting that aside releasing the new civic si may not excite a lot of ppl but I would care.
Everyone would care. Heck, we would care about any news, but the amount of whining that would follow anything that isn't big would be ridiculous. Just look at comments on the Playstation Blog, especially things like the PS2 price drop news. 1500 Comments of people complaining that the news wasn't a PS3 price drop or a new firmware, etc. Then the next day they announced new firmware and it was another thousand comments about how it wasn't exactly the firmware they wanted.

I like to drive anything in four wheels (except a delorean keep those in the movies plz)
You say that like the DeLorean was made up in Back to the Future, and not a real car. If it exists, I welcome it in the game.

Sure, releasing info about upcoming cars would tip the competition, but what if the competition is releasing a game with different features and cars than you are already, do you really think they would care about which cars you will release.
You are talking in what ifs. That is asking for disaster in the business world when it comes to judging your competition.

I don't know when Forza 3 or Shift will be out, or what all they will include, and neither does Sony. If both were fully announced and nearing completion then it may be safe to release more info, but they aren't, so it cannot be assumed that releasing any info is safe.

The idea of one upping in business might not seem likely to you but I have seen it first hand. It happens and millions of dollars can be lost when it goes against you.
 
I had a pc blu-ray drive by the time I bought the ps3, so yes I only bought it because I wanted to play gt5p, I have tried the other games, But again I bought my ps3 because of gt5p/hd.

The delorean coment was made from the perspective of it being brought from reality to the game. just like it was brought from reality to the movies. I detest the car having driven one myself. it does look cool thought.

My point about releasing the cars list is that many companies do it already ea does it quite often. How releasing info affects it, elaborate.

Just saying it will does not say anything.
 
My point about releasing the cars list is that many companies do it already ea does it quite often. How releasing info affects it, elaborate.

Just saying it will does not say anything.
Yep, EA does it all the time, when the details are finalized and they are ready with release date estimates. Do you know the full car list of any of the new NFS games coming? Or do you just have a few hype building images, like say, a Ferrari would be in GT5?

Would it ruin the game if the competitor had a chance to make a few changes to appear better? No. But does PD or Sony want to give them any possible chance of creating an advantage? No.


Or it could all be simply that Sony is tired of rumors, speculation, and lies that turn into upset fans being angry that their expectations were not met.

The simple fact is that when something goes black like this there is a reason, and it isn't to make you sell your PS3 and not give them more money.
 
But it probably isn't PD's choice to release information, this is something many people seem to be ignoring. Sony are the publisher and in most cases the publisher either releases information or tells the developer when they can release information.

For someone at PD to write something up takes all of about an hour. For it to then go through marketing for approval, converted to HTML with all the links in the proper place and everything else takes longer.

And then if it does not pass approval they have to go back and re-write it.

And if it is a developer that does want to get close interaction with the fans they will likely have to have someone who sits an responds to comments for at least a full day, if not more.

And all that is based on if Sony is willing to let information about one of their best selling games out that could be used by competitors in any way whatsoever.


Trust me, in a competitive business world passing out information is not as simple as typing up a comment, copying and pasting in an image link, and then clicking on Post. I have seen the Pain producers say on their own site that they will have a post on the Blog on a certain day. Then on the day they say that Sony postponed their post, then a few days later he says that it is getting reviewed again and something has to be removed so he has to rewrite it, and then a huge firmware comes out so he got delayed again. It has actually taken two weeks for a post to get made on occasion, and as the producer he has been making calls, sending emails, and going to meetings to discuss this post. Add in that on occasion he has even just said something about working on a post now that should be ready next week.

A PlayStation Blog post gets as much attention as any other press release or advertisement. Large companies have a huge protocol for this kind of thing. To this day I am honestly surprised that they even have an official Blog for this stuff because the amount of effort that goes into just revealing info to our own employees here at work, without risking tipping our competitors is huge.


All that said, if they could do something like you described it would be nice.

Bollocks. Any dupe with a GED can write 3 paragraphs talking about one or more specific development under an hour (one of them including the standard "SCEA, producers of GT and PS brand, pioneers in blah blah blah....). Even with all the approval processes you described (which I believe to be exagerated), it wouldn't take more than a month (being extremely generous here) to approve 3 paragraphs. Putting a blog entry takes all of 5 min. Live customer interaction is not what we're asking for, so cut that step.
 
Bollocks. Any dupe with a GED can write 3 paragraphs talking about one or more specific development under an hour (one of them including the standard "SCEA, producers of GT and PS brand, pioneers in blah blah blah....). Even with all the approval processes you described (which I believe to be exagerated), it wouldn't take more than a month (being extremely generous here) to approve 3 paragraphs. Putting a blog entry takes all of 5 min. Live customer interaction is not what we're asking for, so cut that step.
You're right. Marketing doesn't give a crap if they mention something they shouldn't in advance. None of this stuff is planned ahead of time and gone over with a fine-toothed comb in such a way that they can even list in advance what articles will be coming that week.

They just let their guys type whatever nonsense they want and post it up.

[/sarcasm]

All I was pointing out was that it takes more than an hour because it does have a vetting process. They also likely have priority posts that will be bumped ahead of general game news. And I would take a wild guess there might be a queue of articles, as I have never seen them list so many articles in one day that anything from the current date fell off the main page.

As for no one wanting live customer interaction: It was wanted enough that requests were made for them to note how many official responses each post had, which they now do, in red. But no one would ever have any questions after a Gran Turismo post, right?
 
I just wanted everyone to know I'm done whining. GT5 can take as long as they want. Why? Because I have a life that requires responsibility and time.....and other games to play.
 
You're right. Marketing doesn't give a crap if they mention something they shouldn't in advance. None of this stuff is planned ahead of time and gone over with a fine-toothed comb in such a way that they can even list in advance what articles will be coming that week.

They just let their guys type whatever nonsense they want and post it up.

[/sarcasm]

All I was pointing out was that it takes more than an hour because it does have a vetting process. They also likely have priority posts that will be bumped ahead of general game news. And I would take a wild guess there might be a queue of articles, as I have never seen them list so many articles in one day that anything from the current date fell off the main page.

As for no one wanting live customer interaction: It was wanted enough that requests were made for them to note how many official responses each post had, which they now do, in red. But no one would ever have any questions after a Gran Turismo post, right?

No, of course not. What do they know about the hardships of vetting a blog post? They should be just as happy and satisfied with them releasing one blurb every leap year, don't you notice how happy everyone is at GTPlanet? Flowers and roses! When was the last time anyone here complained about the lack of news and threatened to buy a competitor's product because of it? Bureaucracy always precedes customer satifaction.

[/sarcasm]

Sorry, but don't play that game, because I can play it just as well. ;) I'm not a big marketing guy, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say GT5 is the biggest game for Sony right now, priorities be damned. We're NOT talking "general-game news"....How much time do they need to say "Here's a vid of 'x' car running in Laguna Seca"??
 
Honestly they are what 3 years into developing this game, and so far we haven't gotten anything pertaining to the full game other than a wishlist and about 20 delays. Even Axl Rose is wondering what is taking them so long. Say whatever you say it wouldn't take but a couple pushes of a key to say what cars will be in the game. If there isn't news at E3 I have a feeling there will a lot of backlash from gamers.
 
They are developing this game since before the PS3 was released, they gave us GTHD (FREE!) and GT5P as previews and no, it wasnt delayed because there never was a official releasedate, just some targets which couldnt be achieved.
 
Well I consider moving a target date as still being a delay.
 
They are developing this game since before the PS3 was released, they gave us GTHD (FREE!) and GT5P as previews and no, it wasnt delayed because there never was a official releasedate, just some targets which couldnt be achieved.

Did they had to scratch many things? I remeber GT- HD beofere the DEMO. GT Vision was it? It was basically GT4 Showroom graphics with gameplay, and more cars.. Then They had to re do each car.. then again Kaz wanted Damange and body ktis, so they had to RE-DO the re-did cars so that each car is made in segments so damange and bodykits will be available..
So I think GT5 Production really started right at the start of PS3.




Its one of the coolest trailers ever for GT! I hope That song makes into GT5.



Then we got this.. I think after this video KAZ had interview telling he had to scratch and re do some cars so that they are made from varios body pieces for body kits and damange...
 
Last edited:
I don't know if this has been brought up, but Polyphony Digital is not listed as a seperate contributor at E3 '09, though Sony is there in droves.
What that means is anyone's guess.

-General
 
Chances are that's what it would be listed as since PD is a branch of Sony.
 
I think it was the same for LAST YEAR.. GT5 was briefly announced.. but who knows..
 
Wow, those videos are amazing 👍, I must have missed them
 
Oh man...this is gettin really bad....PD need to give us SOMETHING for gods sake...anything!!! :crazy:
 
yea PD i dont think is ever listed as attending these events they they are always just apart of the main sony booth. every game show someone brings this up.
 
What would my reaction be? Avoid GTPlanet for a few weeks, so I wouldn't see all the complaints that would rise from it:dopey: Really I would be a little sad, like others have said "It sucks to wait in the dark."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back