What you Use to Play Forza

• Thread starter MowTin
  • 66 comments

What controller do you use to play Forza?

• MS Wheel

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • Logitech DFX

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Other Wheel

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • 360 gamepad

Votes: 55 65.5%

• Total voters
I started to us the MS wheel but found the pedals to be too sensitive, I even tried the G25 pedals. I need to give the G25 pedals another go since i have played with the controller settings but I found the controller to work better with the game. I find it sad that a racing game of its caliber is better suited for a controller than a wheel. even with that said i play like 3 hours an night and about twice that on the weekend days.

Might just be your lack of experience with the MS Wheel. I pretty much have improved my times over the controller by using the MS wheel by leaps and bounds. I could never go back to the controller.

The brake pedal on the MS Wheel is too sensitive however, but that can be adjusted in most games. Race Pro allows you to change the pedal sensitivity with the MS Wheel. Forza 3 on the other hand, I have not seen a setting for this. To compensate, I changed the brake pressure to 80%. For many of the non race cars though you have to be sure to upgrade to race brakes so that you can adjust the pressure. This has fixed my sensitivity issue.

Might just be your lack of experience with the MS Wheel. I pretty much have improved my times over the controller by using the MS wheel by leaps and bounds. I could never go back to the controller.

The brake pedal on the MS Wheel is too sensitive however, but that can be adjusted in most games. Race Pro allows you to change the pedal sensitivity with the MS Wheel. Forza 3 on the other hand, I have not seen a setting for this. To compensate, I changed the brake pressure to 80%. For many of the non race cars though you have to be sure to upgrade to race brakes so that you can adjust the pressure. This has fixed my sensitivity issue.

You can adjust the pedal sensitivity a bit in the advanced controller set up in "your profile" section. I like to run cars as stock as possable as much as possable so upgrading the brakes is something I like to avoid. With the controller you can use much more of the trigger than you can use the pedal. I find I can only use 25% of the pedals after that there isn't anything left. this goes for the breaks and gas pedals. I am going to try and tweak it some more tonight but not sure how much its going to help.

You can adjust the pedal sensitivity a bit in the advanced controller set up in "your profile" section.

The only control adjustments I have seen related to braking on your wheel/controller is for handbrake, not for the brake pedal.

The only control adjustments I have seen related to braking on your wheel/controller is for handbrake, not for the brake pedal.

Go into controller set up and look at the bottom of the screen. There is an option for "advanced set up", I think its the "X" button. That brings you to a menu that allows you to adjust button configuration, and sensitivity of the buttons. I will taks some pics tonight if you can't find it. It helped but just doesn't seem to be enough.

Go into controller set up and look at the bottom of the screen. There is an option for "advanced set up", I think its the "X" button. That brings you to a menu that allows you to adjust button configuration, and sensitivity of the buttons. I will taks some pics tonight if you can't find it. It helped but just doesn't seem to be enough.

No need to take pictures. I will check that out tonight. I must have missed that option. I have seen the X button for advanced settings in other screens, but I hadn't seen it for this I guess. I have seen the sensitivity adjustments for things like the handbrake.

Is the adjustment labeled as "brake"? or is it labeled as "left trigger LT", which acts as the brake?

No need to take pictures. I will check that out tonight. I must have missed that option. I have seen the X button for advanced settings in other screens, but I hadn't seen it for this I guess. I have seen the sensitivity adjustments for things like the handbrake.

Is the adjustment labeled as "brake"? or is it labeled as "left trigger LT", which acts as the brake?

It will actually show the MS wheel. When you go to the advanced section it will say accelerator pedal and the like. You can't miss it once you get there. I have never noteced the handbrake adjustment before, probably becasue i haven't been looking for it.

If I was going to buy a wheel it would be the Porsche wheel for sure with 6 speed shifter and clutch. But I just dont see myself buying a wheel. If I bought a wheel I would want to go all out with a cockpit and everything. I just dont have the room for one.

If I was going to buy a wheel it would be the Porsche wheel for sure with 6 speed shifter and clutch. But I just dont see myself buying a wheel. If I bought a wheel I would want to go all out with a cockpit and everything. I just dont have the room for one.

Remember, based on Learner's theory, we don't deserve to play this game because we're poseurs.

Poseurs who use controllers. :sly:

Poser here as well.

One thing about Turn10's controller programming is driving me nuts. For example in my R3-800 FXX if I'm above 150mph or so and attempting to take a high speed bend I continually find that very small inputs on the analog stick result in large output from the steering. Quite often so much so that the back end will even step out and slide from time to time. I tried increasing the dead zone but all that seems to do is delay when the game reads the controller as inputting a "steering" command. It is like I cannot take a nice smooth high speed arc with the controller, it is either way too little wheel turn or way too much. In my opinion T10 did not spend enough time recalibrating the analog stick for different vehicle speeds.

It's been awhile, but in all my time with GT4 and some with the GT5P demo I don't recall having this problem. Anyone else notice this?

Poser here as well.

One thing about Turn10's controller programming is driving me nuts. For example in my R3-800 FXX if I'm above 150mph or so and attempting to take a high speed bend I continually find that very small inputs on the analog stick result in large output from the steering. Quite often so much so that the back end will even step out and slide from time to time. I tried increasing the dead zone but all that seems to do is delay when the game reads the controller as inputting a "steering" command. It is like I cannot take a nice smooth high speed arc with the controller, it is either way too little wheel turn or way too much. In my opinion T10 did not spend enough time recalibrating the analog stick for different vehicle speeds.

It's been awhile, but in all my time with GT4 and some with the GT5P demo I don't recall having this problem. Anyone else notice this?

Every damn race. :lol:

I have to take some corners particularly slow, slower than I should with some vehicles. I can't take a tight bend, or a banked curve in the CCGT without snailing my way through it, or worse case scenario I'm dry-steering my way through the corner.

Every damn race. :lol:

I have to take some corners particularly slow, slower than I should with some vehicles. I can't take a tight bend, or a banked curve in the CCGT without snailing my way through it, or worse case scenario I'm dry-steering my way through the corner.

Thank god it's not just me. Actually just to make sure I'm not making this all up in my head I just popped in GT4 and sure enough taking the 593hp Storm around High Speed Ring and I have ZERO problems at 170mph keeping the nice smooth line of my choosing. How in the HE-double-toothpick can't T10 get the 360 controller to respond similarly?! :irked::confused:

Thank god it's not just me. Actually just to make sure I'm not making this all up in my head I just popped in GT4 and sure enough taking the 593hp Storm around High Speed Ring and I have ZERO problems at 170mph keeping the nice smooth line of my choosing. How in the HE-double-toothpick can't T10 get the 360 controller to respond similarly?! :irked::confused:

I'm thinking it might have something to do with GT using the d-pad as a steering axis. You get a lot more touch and feel with analog feedback as opposed to the seemingly instant and sometimes unnecessary response you get from digital feedback. Not to mention while the 360's controller is comfortably worthwhile for extended sessions, it's still quite bulbous and a bit obtuse. The design needs to worked on again.

...Which is funny because I still find The Duke to be more comfortable.

It's official, the MS wheel is garbage! everything is too touchy. even after tweaking the setup its still way too sensitive.
I drove the Turino, stock, in a race and it was all over the place. If the wheel wasn't attached to my stand it would have gone across the room. from what i gathered, the controls are too touchy and there isn't enough feed back. Its so hard to control a car when you can't tell what its doing.
After that and after i calmed down a bit, it tried the same race with the controller. Guess what, I came in first. the control of the car was sooooo much better.
The first thing that comes to mind is why did Turn 10 do this? Then it hit me. They are trying to attract more casual players, hence a better set up with the controller then a wheel.
Did i expect too much? Thats why I have been let down so much? Don't know, any theories are welcome.

Gamepad, I like sitting on my beanbag in front of the telly, gamepads just feel more casual and relaxed to play.

I use the wheel when I can be bothered getting it out and setting it up.

Always upgrade the brakes and then set the brake force to about 72%. That way your brakes don't lock up too soon.

But yes, the braking sucks.

IDid i expect too much? Thats why I have been let down so much? Don't know, any theories are welcome.

Apparently you do expect too much. I haven't had any of those issues you mentioned with the MS Wheel (it's been great), with the exception of the over sensitive braking (which I addressed in the settings).

Never will go back to the controller....the controller is horrible compared to the wheel.

Apparently you do expect too much. I haven't had any of those issues you mentioned with the MS Wheel (it's been great), with the exception of the over sensitive braking (which I addressed in the settings).

Never will go back to the controller....the controller is horrible compared to the wheel.

I am very curious to find out why we such opposite experiences.
Did you buy your wheel new? I got mine used. Maybe mine is worn out. But that still doesn't explain why I can only use 25% - 30% of the travel of the pedals and steering. O
ne thing I just remembered is that I didn't adjust the deadzone of the steering. I will try that tonight.
One more reason why I like the controller is for Photomode. Using a wheel you can't work the Photomode with out the sticks on the controller. Over all I feel the game was rushed and things were overlooked and its starting to show as more people get further into the game.
How far are you into the game, as in what types of cars are you using? As of last night I am at 34 or 35. Just unlocked the Rayhal-Leterman BMW. One difference is I might be using more pwerful cars than you but that statement is thrown out the window because of the Turino i used last night. Its a F Class car and it was all over the place. I might just keep on trying different things using the same car and track to find where things are off and what i can do to fix them.

I am very curious to find out why we such opposite experiences.
Did you buy your wheel new?

Yes I did. I just got it this year.

I got mine used. Maybe mine is worn out.

I have heard that can happen fast :(

One more reason why I like the controller is for Photomode. Using a wheel you can't work the Photomode with out the sticks on the controller.

I agree with this. I can't use the wheel in photomode...sucks.

Over all I feel the game was rushed and things were overlooked and its starting to show as more people get further into the game.

Some parts were rushed (missing/nonworking IPSs), but for the most part, the game is pretty darn polished. On par with everything else released these days (though that isn't a good thing).

How far are you into the game, as in what types of cars are you using? As of last night I am at 34 or 35.

Season 5, Level 43. I am mostly using R series.

Yes I did. I just got it this year.

I have heard that can happen fast :(

Season 5, Level 43. I am mostly using R series.

so after using the wheel some more last night and tweaking the settings in the menu for it, it felt better. I also noticed that my whole steering column has play in it, quite a bit I imagine. This might be the main cause of my issue. If this allows the wheel to slip then the feedback won't be as good as well as the imput from me making it erratic.
I have seen mods where people put bearings in place of the main bushing which I believe would fix my issue but sourcing the bearing might be a bit of a chore.
my next option would be to buy a new wheel. That brings up another choice, should i spend $100 on a new wheel or put it twords a Fanatec wheel? I love the idea of haveing one wheel for both systems but at $500 its a serious comitment. I already have a G25 and selling it won't yeld as good now with the G27 coming out.
whats your toughts, if it was your money, what would you do?

So far 360 game pad, I wanna buy Fanatec PURE (since I got pedals and shifters already) to have more feel for the cars.

Sorry for the poor quality pic I used my phone, but this is my setup as of today.

ClubsportPedals.jpg

MS wheel user here.

Not that I wanted to , because I have the G25 for GT5P.
Shame the G25 ain't compatible with the 360.
Want to buy the Fanatec wheel, but searching round the net I found there are a lot of troubles with delivery and so on.

Grtz

Bryan

If you are going to be playing a sim racing game you need a wheel to make it a complete sim.
Playing with a controller is not for sims but for arcade racers where controls don't matter.

So if you call yourself a sim racer and you play with a controller then you don't deserve the game period.

well I say if you call yourself a sim racer and game on anything less than a 67" TV (like myself) then you don't deserve the game...anything smaller just can't properly simulate the feel of being inside the cockpit of a race car...

so unless you sir can say that...you don't deserve the game :dopey:

MS wheel user here.

Not that I wanted to , because I have the G25 for GT5P.
Shame the G25 ain't compatible with the 360.
Want to buy the Fanatec wheel, but searching round the net I found there are a lot of troubles with delivery and so on.

Grtz

Bryan

Same here. I considered buying the Fanatec wheel, but I'm not willing to drop $400+ just to have them tell me they might ship it sometime. I bought the MS wheel for $70 locally (brand new) and it's been alright. It's not great, but I like it more than the controller.

well I say if you call yourself a sim racer and game on anything less than a 67" TV (like myself) then you don't deserve the game...anything smaller just can't properly simulate the feel of being inside the cockpit of a race car...

so unless you sir can say that...you don't deserve the game :dopey:

Ach! No! I only have a 65 inch TV! :(

Oh, wait, my uncle has a theater projection system. So I actually have a... What's 17 times 12?

Back