What's special about AE86?

• Thread starter Loser1
  • 104 comments
What? I'm sorry, but if you're into cars and you still don't know what an AE86 is you need to open your eyes and ears. Magazines and shows talk about almost nothing but drifting now and right next to the S13 is the AE86 in popularity.

I never said you were whining. I just think you're pretty ignorant. You asked questions, I answered them. Simple, yet you continue to speculate about this car when you have no clue whatsoever whereas I am TELLING you because I KNOW.

Best leave it where it is, I can see a CobraGT V me reenactment, 5th gear had drifting on at Silverstone tonight.

Originally posted by battle_stage
What? I'm sorry, but if you're into cars and you still don't know what an AE86 is you need to open your eyes and ears. Magazines and shows talk about almost nothing but drifting now and right next to the S13 is the AE86 in popularity.

I never said you were whining. I just think you're pretty ignorant. You asked questions, I answered them. Simple, yet you continue to speculate about this car when you have no clue whatsoever whereas I am TELLING you because I KNOW.

You are SO patronising it's not even funny.

Drifting may be the "big" thing in your house/head/magazine, along with the AE86 and S13, but in the UK few people care about drifting. Just because something is important to you, doesn't mean it's the centre of the entire universe.

Okay, I get it. You like drifting. Big whup. You like talking about cars in letters and numbers, instead of names. Well hurrah - you go girl. The world isn't the same thing as you.

I KNOW what an AE86 is. I KNOW what an S13 is. All I asked was the correct pronunciation of the former as I've only ever seen it written down, strangely in internet forums, and never EVER spoken out loud. But to equate being "into" cars with the ability to name chassis codes is just ridiculous. I haven't "continued" to speculate ANYTHING about this car - in fact I haven't even passed an opinion on it. And you didn't actually answer the question - your best response was "It's AE86". And note it was just the one question, rather than "questions" plural.

But hey, if your diatribe, evasiveness, inability to remain courteous and outrageous condescension leads you to believe you are the head of the human race, please carry on.

Wow, I'm loving the Brits more and more.

Drifting may be the "big" thing in your house/head/magazine, along with the AE86 and S13, but in the UK few people care about drifting. Just because something is important to you, doesn't mean it's the centre of the entire universe.

You can randomly point at any import mag these days here in the US and it will have AT LEAST one drift article in it.

Okay, I get it. You like drifting. Big whup. You like talking about cars in letters and numbers, instead of names. Well hurrah - you go girl. The world isn't the same thing as you.

Chassis codes are just plain easier to say when you're talking about cars with your buddies. I can see that's too much for you to take in right now so I'll go slow with you.
If I were to mention a Skyline I saw on the streets, I could look at it and say, well that's an R32. Or I can sit there and try to figure out what year, model, and generation it it is by whatever means. The chassis code will cut all that down no problem.
R32- Nissan Skyline, 1989-1993, 8th generation.

Chassis codes can also tell the trim level as well. BNR34 would be a 10th gen. Nissan Skyline GT-R.

Just though I'd remind you about this you just stated..
I haven't "continued" to speculate ANYTHING about this car - in fact I haven't even passed an opinion on it.
...and what was stated earlier...
Personally, I perceive it to be an overrated piece of 1980's technology which attracts an unreasonable fan following because of a cartoon.
I'm guessing that, for that full decade, it was a family's main car - or at least second car - and driven around the streets of Roppongi in a normal fashion. Then the cartoon came out and 18 year olds everywhere started buying any remaining examples and inexplicably driving them sideways.

Since you weren't satisfied with the answered already given to you, let's review.

Toyota Trueno/ Levin/ Corolla
Chassis code: AE86 (pronounced A-E-eight-six)
Choice car of Keiichi Tsuchiya and Katsuhiro Ueo among thousands others. If a profesional JGTC driver and world reknowned Drift King drive one himself, it must not be a, quote "family's main car - or at least second car - and driven around the streets of Roppongi in a normal fashion." as you liked to put it earlier. There was also an entire race series dedicated to this car years ago in which Tsuchiya himself participated in, which helped build up his reputation. This car has earned it's keep and deserves the respect of all racers and drifters alike.

Your questions have been answered. If you have any more I'd be glad to answer them.

You can randomly point at any import mag these days here in the US and it will have AT LEAST one drift article in it.
Ahhhhh, and therein lies the rub.

If you're not into "imports" (imports, for some unexplained reason, effectively meaning "Japanese cars") and if you prefer to read, say, Grassroots Motorsports or evo as your main car magazines, then we are brought squarely back to Famine's main point, which is this:

Drifting is not the be-all and end-all outside of the circle of people who are highly interested in it.

Note that I'm not saying drifting sucks. Simply note that some of you would benefit from understanding that there are otherwise-valuable, worthwhile, productive members of human society who do not think drifting is the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel.

hype vs. facts..

BS vs. Famine

Am i wrong.?...

The hype builds this car up to be able to do unnatural things on the track which isn't true, yet at the same time it is not one to be underestimated.

Famine doesn't have the facts. This is plainly obvious. And since I'm just a big moron and I obviously know nothing maybe you should visit the largest authority on the car in the US.
www.club4ag.com
There's more tech info on that site to satisfy your knowledge hungry, ignorant mind.
Just because you live in the UK doesn't mean you can't expand your horizons a bit and actually learn something. I live in the US. Does that mean I should only like muscle cars and actualy believe that "there's no replacement for displacement." ?

Drifting is not the be-all and end-all outside of the circle of people who are highly interested in it.

No one said this is a drift only car. I've mentioned a couple times it's worth on the track. I simply mentioned it's extreme popularity with drifters.

The Keiichi Tsuchiya is the Dorikin and is also a professional JGTC driver along with many other professional drifters. Professional, top level racers love the car and see it's worth, but because it's widely popular in drifting means it has obsolutly no value on the track... right. :rolleyes:

It's lightweight, RWD, near perfect, if not perfect weigth distribution, etc, etc... I guess you're right. What racer would want all that?

You're gonna have to restate that. Sorry. But if I understand you correctly you're saying that just cause Famine says so, you'd believe him over someone with some actual knowledge on the matter. That's the smartest thing I've heard all day. :rolleyes:

Me and CobraGT stared with a heated debate and look how that went before it ended.

Me and Famine aren't you and cobraGT, lol.

My point for being in this thread is to clear up misconseptions and to not let Famine's opinions become poular belief. That'd be a real shame because this car deserves more respect than it's getting. So what if it doesn live up the the hype of some stupid manga? That doesn't automatically make it a worthless heep of sheet metal.

Just because you live in the UK doesn't mean you can't expand your horizons a bit and actually learn something. I live in the US. Does that mean I should only like muscle cars and actualy believe that "there's no replacement for displacement." ?

No. But should I expect you to be an expert on the Proton Impian, Sbarro Monster-G, Ginetta G34 and Talbot Samba - all cars which have never reached US shores in any great number? Nope. And would I answer your questions about them without "You're ignorant. Open your eyes and learn something"? Nope (although I probably would now).

My dad wouldn't have a clue what any car we've mentioned so far looks like. In fact he can't distinguish a Mk3 Supra, a Mk4 Supra and the current generation Celica. But he can rebuild a gearbox and used to rally Triumph Spitfires in his youth. He's "into" cars too. And I DARE you to walk up to him and say to his face that he's "ignorant" because he doesn't know the correct pronunciation of the four-character chassis code of a car from 1985.

Oh, and I'm curious about this fact. Who's right, him or you?

Originally posted by thedguy
I've never seen anyone until this forum say it had 50/50 weight distro, it doesn't, it's about 53/47.

Me and Famine aren't you and cobraGT, lol.

What, neither of you are me!!!!!! my life is in tatters, not even snogging the best birds will pick me up now.:eek:

Originally posted by live4speed
Best leave it where it is, I can see a CobraGT V me reenactment, 5th gear had drifting on at Silverstone tonight.

I saw that, I was really impressed. There was a Sierra Sapphire Cosworth and an E30 3-series drifitng. Oh and no riced out crap and that guy with his 200SX (Or RPS13) with 400bhp. Thank god we don't have Initial D fanboyism in the UK.

Originally posted by live4speed
What, neither of you are me!!!!!! my life is in tatters, not even snogging the best birds will pick me up now.:eek:

Yeah - live with it. Pwnd (and so on).

Originally posted by Race Idiot
I saw that, I was really impressed. There was a Sierra Sapphire Cosworth and an E30 3-series drifitng. Oh and no riced out crap and that guy with his 200SX (Or RPS13) with 400bhp. Thank god we don't have Initial D fanboyism in the UK.

Yeah, Tiff was one of judges, I thought it was funny that the guy said the car wasn't worth the cost, he could've bought a Porsche for that amount. He didn't regret it though.

I don't think you would wan't to drift a 911, mind you i'm sure there was someone trying and then he just lost the rear end.

Yeah I saw that, a 4wd 911 would probably be a better choice than a RR one.

No one said this is a drift only car. I've mentioned a couple times it's worth on the track. I simply mentioned it's extreme popularity with drifters.

The Keiichi Tsuchiya is the Dorikin and is also a professional JGTC driver along with many other professional drifters. Professional, top level racers love the car and see it's worth, but because it's widely popular in drifting means it has obsolutly no value on the track... right.
Allow me to introduce you to your own words:
When did I ever say the AE86 is a drift-only car? You were the one who brought it up. And I'll wager I knwe what a 4AGE was long before you did- around the time I pulled the 4AG out of my 1980 Celica and dropped in a 6ME out of a Cressida. Which means somewhere about the time you were born, unless I miss my guess.

The AE86 is basically a rear-wheel-drive Neon: a decent, basic economy car with great handling for what it is, that can be made to go pretty quickly for not a lot of money. It can also be built out of all reasonable proportion to its performance, just like any other car.

The AE86 is a very good platform for a sporty econobox. Learn to live with that disappointment and I bet you'll go on to have a productive, self-sufficient role in society.

Originally posted by Race Idiot
Well the AE86 made it over here, but it's called a Corrola GT-S. But they are rare, I mean very rare. I've only seen one ever.
The '84-'87 Corolla GT-S made the trip to the US as well, but the few examples I see on these shores are in fairly crappy condition. Rust takes it's toll on 15-to-20-year-old cars, and thus, even in decent condition, they are still quite cheap here in South Florida. Drive through a depressed neighborhood, and it's almost comical how many AE86's are parked and tooling around the streets...

However, the tuner crowd here seems to prefer the more modern creature comforts of Civics, Integras, Eclipses, et al...mostly cars from the mid-1990's, anything from the mid 80's usually looks like it's been tuned on a budget (yes, there are notable exceptions, so don't bother telling me the example of the phat '84 CRX your buddy drives)!

Well, in the world of Gran Turismo, it would be only naturla that the programmers and designers of the games might favor the AE86. The AE86 is quite desirable over in Japan, with examples fetching quite a considerable bit of coin for not-too-destroyed copies of the wonder-Corolla. But lest you think it's beating GT-Rs and Imprezas around the imaginary circuits of The Real Driving Simulator, it's usually running a 2-lap race in which it finishes somewhere near 5th or 6th place...unless it's the Shigeno Version of the Trueno.

Anyways, the AE86's are quite fun to drive in the game, even if you're not into drifting (I thought it was a real hoot to drive before and since caring about "dorifto") and they don't cost a lot, either. It's meant to be a first-car-in-the-game, and not intended to be a world-beater. I drove one in real-life once, and I can't say it was anywhere near as fun to drive as say, a Miata. But if you were alive and well in the Reagan-era, then driving a car from the mid-80's at least gives you a reason for nostalgia.

:lol:

how did I miss this thread?

Sorry BS but I too am one of those that think that the AE86 is well and truely over-rated. Here in Australia Initial D has a fairly low profile and the car does too. That doesnt mean I havent seen any. I have seen a few but tuners have other preferences like civics, wrxs, FWD lancers, and later model corollas. The Import market here is mainly skylines, 300zxs, silvias, soarers, etc... (no corolla gt-s).

another note. I have been into cars since I was in year 3-4, trading sports car cards at school with my 6-8 yo mates. I am now 35 and am still into cars and go to any motorshow that comes up and I read many magazines.
I had not heard of the AE86 till I got this game.
everyone in Oz knows what a corolla is but i doubt many would have heard of a AE86.

In the game on the same level i prefer the miata (MX5 here) as it is MUCH better.

what can I say, cartoons rule some pplz lives :)

btw IMO the AE86 is fugly...

my 2c worth :)

Originally posted by Famine
It's called "curiosity". I would naturally say eighty-six, as the car was produced in 1985/86. But having seen "Hachi-roku" - and being a student of nihon-go - I was curious which is correct. It wasn't a "whine".

There is NO-ONE I know who would know what an AE86 is, but plenty who would recognise a "Corolla" - albeit in one of it's many guises.

I wasn't saying you were whining, as u said, u just asked a question, but anyone who whines at you or anyone else because they read AE86 as AE Eighty-six instead of AE eight-six needs something better to do with their time.... As far as I'm concerned if i see the number 8 behind the number 6 withought a space, or dash (and no other numbers before or after the 2) it's EIGHTY-SIX. I don't care how other pernounce it it's 86 to me always has been, always will be. I personally refer to the car as a "hachi."

Well, you're right, you would] think to say it as eighty-six if it were just a normal word, but it's a code.

Take a VIN number for example. You're not gonna say it as whatever hundred trillion and so on. You'd say it digit by digit.

And yes, the car is overrated, but the general feeling I get from most of you is that becuase it doesn't live up to this magical reputation that it's an obsolute piece of crap, which is wrong. I feel we're pretty much in agreement here, or as far as we're gonna get. I don't see a reason for taking this further

Back