What's special about AE86?

• Thread starter Loser1
  • 104 comments
im pretty sure he was trying to find out about it which is why he was posting. although i have to agree with i never did use it so i will not formulate my opinon

There are a few reason why alot of people use it.
1) Perfect 50/50 power to weight ratio.
2) Initial D has made everyone think the car has super powers.
3) Its actually a really nice tuning base to get used to what things do to affect handling, top speed, aceleration, deceleration and so on.

I believe it is a good car because it drifts well, even at low power.

The non SS version is also a good "first car" in GT3, cuz It's cheap, and decent to start out with. It handles well with little upgrades.

And Initial D did make it cool. IMO.

There's nothing really special or magical about the AE86.
It got popular back in Japan back in the 80's when it was released. Drifters and racers both saw this as a good car because it was lightweight, had 50/50 weight distribution, came with a factory LSD, and was cheap.
Initial D just glamorized an already popular car. Drifters and racers alike still use them today.

There's nothing really special or magical about the AE86.
It got popular back in Japan back in the 80's when it was released. Drifters and racers both saw this as a good car because it was lightweight, had 50/50 weight distribution, came with a factory LSD, and was cheap.
Initial D just glamorized an already popular car. Drifters and racers alike still use them today.

I don't like the way it looks either, but if you're using the shigeno version then you can begin to know why it's so popular. If you set the shigeno up right, you can compete with most of the higher-end japanese cars.

Ok, there is a cartoon in Japan which has glorified the AE86, and some fans of that show love the car.

To be honest, the car has very few redeeming features. It has very low rear grip and it doesnt take much horsepower to lose the back end around a turn. I am telling you that the Miata has WAY more grip in the back end, and the Miata is also generally better in every regard.

The Miata does cost a bit more initially in GT3 but I highly recommend starting with the Miata.

I read that the makers of GT3 are fond of the AE86 because it is apparently the last very light RWD car ever made (What about Miata?!). I guess after the 80's most RWD cars including Supra, 300ZX etc. all weigh in excess of 3,200lbs. The AE86 weighs around 1,750lbs stock!

You can read about each car when you go to it in the car dealership and read the scrolling bar along the bottom screen.

There is a lot written about each car, I've read them all. And yes, when you are done reading them you will feel like you are on Acid/LSD or Mushrooms, TRY IT.

Originally posted by 12sec. Civic
I read that the makers of GT3 are fond of the AE86 because it is apparently the last very light RWD car ever made (What about Miata?!). I guess after the 80's most RWD cars including Supra, 300ZX etc. all weigh in excess of 3,200lbs. The AE86 weighs around 1,750lbs stock!

*cough* TVR! *cough* :D

Comparing a Speed 12 and an 86, is like comparing apples and rack of lamb. Both are good but one is hand crafted and cost a hundred times more.

You could buy a Trueno in great shape for about a few thousand bones at most, but you'd be extremely lucky to find an abused Speed 12 for under $100,000.

Originally posted by Mojo Rising
Comparing a Speed 12 and an 86, is like comparing apples and rack of lamb. Both are good but one is hand crafted and cost a hundred times more.

You could buy a Trueno in great shape for about a few thousand bones at most, but you'd be extremely lucky to find an abused Speed 12 for under $100,000.

Speed 12's an order only car anyway, so if you want one you'd have to ask for one and flash the cash.

I don't think the Trueno ever made it to the UK, at least I've never seen one here. :confused:

Originally posted by TVRKing
I don't think the Trueno ever made it to the UK, at least I've never seen one here. :confused:

Well the AE86 made it over here, but it's called a Corrola GT-S. But they are rare, I mean very rare. I've only seen one ever.

Indeed it did. I've seen a couple - although none in the Takumi-fanboy panda colours.

I can go out and get an AutoTrader and find a 1990 TVR 350i for £4000. Twice the power of the AE86, and pretty much the same weight.

Edit: Just found a 1989 one with 86,000 miles for £4500. Nice!

By the way, is it "AE86" or is it "AE8 6"? All these people referring to it as "Hachi-roku" are saying "Eight Six". "Eighty-six" would be "Hachijuroku". Just an FYI.

Yes, marvellous. Point well missed.

Is it pronounced "Eighty-six" or "Eight six"...?

I thought so too - what with it being a car from 1985/6. Which means anyone saying "Hachi-roku" is wrong, and should be shot on sight.

*takes aim at the drift forum*

Originally posted by Famine
I thought so too - what with it being a car from 1985/6. Which means anyone saying "Hachi-roku" is wrong, and should be shot on sight.

*takes aim at the drift forum*

:lol:

Originally posted by Famine
Indeed it did. I've seen a couple - although none in the Takumi-fanboy panda colours.

I can go out and get an AutoTrader and find a 1990 TVR 350i for £4000. Twice the power of the AE86, and pretty much the same weight.

Edit: Just found a 1989 one with 86,000 miles for £4500. Nice!

I've only seen a black one. As for the TVR, I wonder what one will cost less to keep running.

Mind you, why bother with the AE86 when you can have an MR-2. Which uses a simmilar engine unit to the AE86.

Its pronunced A.E.8.6. Eight Six, not eighty six. Wouldn't eighty six be Hachijuu roku or somethING? I appologize if this was pointed out before.

Back