What's special about AE86?

• Thread starter Loser1
  • 104 comments
It's not the car itself we have a problem with. It's the "magical reputations" that anything from Japan seems to generate that we dislike.

At least it is with me.

Originally posted by battle_stage
Well, you're right, you would] think to say it as eighty-six if it were just a normal word, but it's a code.

Take a VIN number for example. You're not gonna say it as whatever hundred trillion and so on. You'd say it digit by digit.
So is an R34 Skyline thirty-four or three four? And what about the S13? Is that thirteen or one three?

Hahahaha... wow daan. Excellent point. I tihnk it just comes down how the manufacturer designates their cars then. Not really sure now.

But the AE86 is referred to as "eight-six". In Japan they call it hachi-roku which directly translates into eight-six. I've never called it an eighty six, or know or heard it ever called the eighty six at all.

English slang, kissing the fittest girls, or necking them as some put it.

Originally posted by battle_stage
Hahahaha... wow daan. Excellent point. I tihnk it just comes down how the manufacturer designates their cars then. Not really sure now.

But the AE86 is referred to as "eight-six". In Japan they call it hachi-roku which directly translates into eight-six. I've never called it an eighty six, or know or heard it ever called the eighty six at all.

So is now the point I laugh at you and call you ignorant, because YOU don't know how the chassis code is pronounced? Or claim that because you don't know how to pronounce the chassis code, you must have never heard of the car, and should "open your eyes and ears"...?

(all this said firmly tongue-in-cheek, natch :D)

Out of interest, anata wa nihon-go o wakarimasu.

That should be pretty much the end of that discussion then :D

Except - who WAS right? Is the Alpha-Echo-Eighty-Six ( :lol: ) blessed with a 50:50 weight distribution, or a 53:47?

Originally posted by Race Idiot
I don't think you would wan't to drift a 911, mind you i'm sure there was someone trying and then he just lost the rear end.

Keiichi Tsuchiya drifted a 911 GT3 so there ya go... but he's the drift king. Anyways that flame war between famine and battle_stage was really F'in funny. The 86 is a good car, cheap affordable and really easy to mod. If you guys wanna see some crazy Japanese going real f'in fast in some, just check out some option2 or best motoring videos. it's not a car that's for everyone and no car is but i like it.

OK Guys Frankly I finding this all childish. Its doesnt matter how u pernounce any Chassis number. Long as the other guy knows what u mean its ok.

Famine Sorry, But KnowinG Chassis number is crucial in my career among other things. It saves mistakes and helps alot in understanding what the parts the customer wants or what what were ordering. Any car Nut will most likely agree.

Initial D God! I love the cartoon but t the end of the day its a cartoon nothing is completely factual with one guy taking on every type of car with greater BHP and hardly loses.

Oh About the 86 well its old I dont think anyone wants a old worned out car while u can get a better one. But if Cheap and friendly fun ere u go. Also no so bad of a Base mod. But I prefer the AE101 or the AE111 with the six gears (more ratios to pick on).

All and All I prefer AWDS all together. dont get me Wrong their not the King of the roads or anything. Its Just my preference. All And All to each their OWN. Anyone going to the rotary clubs meet in England (shakespear Land) C u their in my Black ST205 GT4 to those who dont know its a MK6 Celica :)

Originally posted by Eudaemon
OK Guys Frankly I finding this all childish. Its doesnt matter how u pernounce any Chassis number. Long as the other guy knows what u mean its ok.

Famine Sorry, But KnowinG Chassis number is crucial in my career among other things. It saves mistakes and helps alot in understanding what the parts the customer wants or what what were ordering. Any car Nut will most likely agree.

A few minor points.

First, this thread hasn't seen action in a full 3 months. Well done for bringing it up again.

I'm glad that you find chassis numbers helpful in your line of work. However, you are wrong to infer that to be a car nut you ought to know chassis numbers.

As I said before:
"But to equate being "into" cars with the ability to name chassis codes is just ridiculous."

The male part of my family is SO into cars it's not funny. My brother is currently trying to sell his Subaru Impreza RB5 so he can afford to pay for the Subaru Impreza WR1 he's ordered. A tenner says he doesn't know what the chassis code or engine code are.

My dad used to be an amateur rally driver. A tenner says he doesn't know the chassis number or engine code for any one of his last 30 cars.

All that aside, your last two paragraphs make good points. Welcome to GTP!

Originally posted by XzifT
There are a few reason why alot of people use it.
1) Perfect 50/50 power to weight ratio.
2) Initial D has made everyone think the car has super powers.
3) Its actually a really nice tuning base to get used to what things do to affect handling, top speed, aceleration, deceleration and so on.
There's no such thing as 50/50 power to weight ratio, you mean the weight is balanced 50/50 between the front and rear.

If you were a drifter you'd know why so many people talk about the AE86.

Ok fair comment. To know every car chassis number is a bit extreme yes agreed.

But normally if you have a car/ want a dream car you want to know everything about it, including chassis number and etc.

Ok fair dues that a person may not know their chassis number due to reasons unknown such as they never heard of the thing.

Oh yeah one more thing forgot to type Kool having the family into cars like that. Shame about knowledge of them but hopefully due to necessity they will change their ways. Oh yeah Bump into this forumn typing GT to check out car stuff. Love the site so far.

Back