What's the hardest event in GT history?

• Thread starter SCER
  • 431 comments

Which is hardest?

• Total voters
The hardest event for me was back in GT2, a mid-engined race that took place at Rome. The fastest opponent was always an old GT40 and for the life of me (I was about 12 at the time) I couldn't find a car that would beat the GT40. Of course, I had no idea how to tune suspensions or transmissions back then so the event probably wasn't all that hard if you did it right. My young self just couldn't beat it with basic power and bolt-on suspensions. To this day I've never beaten it but I haven't tried since then either.

With every GT game, I've always burned through the license tests with all golds in a short amount of time. The notorious S license tests from the older games that people bring up usually only took me the first attempt to gold, I remember a few other ones instead that took a few tries to get the gold trophy - I think one being in GT2, with a Skyline R32 at Trial Mountain, going from the first tunnel to the second tunnel down the back straight. The only other one that I remember getting stressed about was the FGT championship at Cote D'azur, it wasn't the pace that was the problem, it was the amount of times I crashed into the inside barriers turning into a corner. There are no other events in any of the other games that I remember taking more than 20 minutes or the first attempt if it was a race.

On the other hand, trying to gold the Vettel challenges (with a DS3) has been the only place in the entire series where I've had to stop and come back another day. I think I had to come back 3-4 times to gold Suzuka and Nurburgring GP; in each session I was trying for at least a couple of hours. So far me, it's hands down the Vettel challenges.

With every GT game, I've always burned through the license tests with all golds in a short amount of time. The notorious S license tests from the older games that people bring up usually only took me the first attempt to gold, I remember a few other ones instead that took a few tries to get the gold trophy - I think one being in GT2, wih a Skyline R32 going from the first tunnel to the second tunnel down the back straight. The only other one that I remember getting stressed about was the FGT championship at Cote D'azur, it wasn't the pace that was the problem, it was the amount of times I crashed into the inside barriers turning into a corner. There are no other events in any of the other games that I remember taking more than 20 minutes or the first attempt if it was a race.

On the other hand, trying to gold the Vettel challenges (with a DS3) has been the only place in the entire series where I've had to stop and come back another day. I think I had to come back 3-4 times to gold Suzuka and Nurburgring GP; in each session I was trying for at least a couple of hours. So far me, it's hands down the Vettel challenges.
Rarely get a chance to say this sincerely but, good for you. Then again, why would you struggle, you are Lewis Hamilton :).

Mission 34 from GT4. I was awful at Gran Turismo at the time so I'd keep finishing 6th or 5th every attempt. :lol:

Also, the Vettel Challenge at Suzuka from GT5. Even with my skill level now I can't get gold on it. Not even silver! :lol:

any B-spec event at monaco in GT5 (:lol:). stupid b-spec bob would always crash into a wall at the corkscrew, then wait for all of the AI to go past before rejoining the race! that was the most frustratingly hard race that was actually easy ever!:banghead:

They were literally programmed with a 50% chance of hitting that and having to reverse, it was ridiculous :lol:

Rarely get a chance to say this sincerely but, good for you. Then again, why would you struggle, you are Lewis Hamilton :).

In all seriousness, those Vettel challenges would be great for a swear jar, and terrible for a controller's chances of remaining in one piece. I did not have fun there at all, F' that car's stock set up.

You guys also make a great point about the B-Spec races, some of those were down right frustrating to watch.

"WTF are you doing!? Go around him for **** sake!" "Get off the wall you idiot!"

I came into the series at GT3, so I dont know about GT1 and GT2. but I remember GT3 and GT4 had alot more hard events than GT5, and especially GT6. however, I'm pretty sure I've gotten too good in recent years, as nothing is difficult for me nowadays. something I remember as the most difficult (by far) is the VW GTI Cup race at Opera paris (GT4). but thats only because I was running all races at 200pts. otherwise thats not so tough.

That aside, theese springs to mind: (hardest first)
The Skyline Slipstream battle (GT4)
Licence test with the Toyota GT-one at Monaco (GT3)
Mission race with the Mercedes SLR Mclaren at Nordsleife (GT4)
Grand tour event with Alfa Romeo 8C at Eiger Nordwand (GT5)
Licence test with the Mercedes 190E touring car at Nordsleife (GT4)

But I honestly believe that the Vettel X challenges in GT5 was the hardest of the lot. I did those again just 1 month ago, and still it took me over an hour to gold them! I also ran the grand tour event with Alfa Romeo 8C at Eiger Nordwand again, and I ran 2 seconds below gold on the first attempt, and that's just how much I've improved in the 3 years of GT5. The vettel X events in GT6 was done in first attempt, as was everything else in GT6, including the Ayrton Senna content. So yeah, to conclude, The Vettel X challenges at Nurburgring and Suzuka in GT5 is probably answer to your question.

Gt4 final mission based race. Mclaren slr at nurburgring and starting 94 seconds down to the leader. The worst was having to wait that long to begin, and then seeing the lead car as you enter the last turn......and having to start all over

Senna challenge was not very difficult for me. None of them took me more than 3 attempts. Beat monza by 2 seconds and brands hatch by a little over 1. Only aid was abs 1

Gt4 final mission based race. Mclaren slr at nurburgring and starting 94 seconds down to the leader. The worst was having to wait that long to begin, and then seeing the lead car as you enter the last turn......and having to start all over
yeah, those events were just about the only thing wrong with GT4. they could have at least cut ahead to when it was your turn, but no, you had to wait the full 90 seconds just to screw up on the third turn and start again!

1. Vettel Challenges - GT5
2. Super License, Final Test - Sauber C9 on Nordschelife - GT4 (Japanese version, changed to Mercedes 190 DTM for US and PAL versions of the game, was not even close as a challenge)
3. International A License, Test 7 - TVR Griffith on Special Stage Route 11 - GT1
4. Super License, Test 2 - Ford GT40 on Seattle - GT2
5. Top Gear Events - Lotus Elise Race - GT5 (without ANY assists, that race is a 100% hardcore challenge)

Honorable mentions:

6. original (pre 1.02 patch) run with Gallardo on Toscana Night - GT5 - layout of the track was changed with the update and race became easy
7. Grand Canyon License Test with Subaru Rally Car - GT4
8. RUF RGT on Complex String - Time Trial event in Arcade Mode - GT3 (beat Kazunori Yamauchi's time)

However...

Single most demanding challenge in GT series history - on pair with the Vettel challenges:

Gran Turismo 5 Seasonal Events / Bonus Race No.2/ A-spec
Period of Availability: 24.12.2010. - 13.01.2011.
Mazda RX-7 Tsukuba Circuit / 10 Laps race

Without assists (all assists OFF, ABS OFF, no power steering), this particular challenge was the hardest challenge ever conceived in the history of GT series. Even with car tuned to max restrictions possible (Tyres:Max. Sports: Hard / Power: Max. 394BHP / Weight: Min. 800kg) it was a gargantuan challenge to keep the laps in sequence needed to catch the leader.

This particular event is the pinnacle of GT experience. Sadly, due to its extreme hardness, the outcry of the casual drivers was so loud (even here on GTPlanet, the words "broken", "impossible", "insane" were very usual these days..) that Polyphony decided to turn off the restrictions for all future Seasonal challenges in order to please the majority.

However, all races of Bonus Race #1 and Bonus Race #2 events will serve in memories as the Immaculate Challenges of the Gran Turismo series.
Please amar tell me were these the same events that featured the fiat 500 1.2 s lounge. The gt5 bonus events that is

Last edited:
1. Vettel Challenges in GT5 with dualshock.. not even silver.
2. Mission 34 in GT4. One of my greatest achievements that, beating that 300SL. Amazing feeling.
3. Senna challenges in GT6. I've only just started. (people have beaten it with DS3 right? any tips?)

That's all I can think of for now. Honorable mentions are of course the Skyline slipstreaming in GT4, and the GT One at Monaco. Oh and how could I forget! The shifter kart challenge at the Arena in GT6.

Also, to be honest, I am surprised people struggled THAT much with the X1 at Goodwood. Cheers

3. Program the RA Settings menu access if you haven't already. The only one I've yet to get gold in now is the Lotus at Brands Hatch but I figure I'm about an hour away (unless I get lucky, longer if I start drinking first), but I've had a great deal more success after making the brake bias rear-heavy to help with rotation.
Also, to be honest, I am surprised people struggled THAT much with the X1 at Goodwood.
Yeah I just don't see the difficulty there.

1. Vettel Challenges in GT5 with dualshock.. not even silver.
2. Mission 34 in GT4. One of my greatest achievements that, beating that 300SL. Amazing feeling.
3. Senna challenges in GT6. I've only just started. (people have beaten it with DS3 right? any tips?)

That's all I can think of for now. Honorable mentions are of course the Skyline slipstreaming in GT4, and the GT One at Monaco. Oh and how could I forget! The shifter kart challenge at the Arena in GT6.

Also, to be honest, I am surprised people struggled THAT much with the X1 at Goodwood. Cheers
if you beaten as in golded, then i think the only thing you can do to make it easier is turn TCS to 1 and active steering to strong! i managed a 1:08.6xx, but i could improve it. (if i wanted to really really badly)

and yeah i dont really see the difficulty in the goodwood X1 challenge. i mean, it was an annoyingly narrow track for a car that twitchy, but if you got to the end, you got a gold.

EDIT: double post! NOOOOO!! sorry!

You can literally coast and almost stop in every turn and corner. And still get Gold. Embarrassingly easy, really. The entire Goodwood Series is kind of a joke in that regard. Once you know the track and a basic idea of how each car corners, getting Gold for all of them is very easy.

- I think one being in GT2, with a Skyline R32 at Trial Mountain, going from the first tunnel to the second tunnel down the back straight.

I remember that one and I think it was by far the hardest license test to gold in that game, there was much gnashing of teeth about it on the original version of this forum. Took me days to gold and the controller was hurled into the carpet many a time.

Mission 34 from GT4 never gave me trouble but I did spend most of that game doing little else other than time trial the 'ring in a stock yellow bird on N1s. I do remember playing M34 for fun quite a few times as it was the best 'ring challenge on offer, the hardest bit was the wait at the start.

The vettel challenges would probably be the hardest for me but I haven't bothered with any them, not my cup of tea.

At the risk of turning this into a discussion on all things PD/GT, it would have been nice if GT6 catered to both new and veteran players alike. There are many advocates on GTP of a customisable version of GT that one could make suit their own level of skill or commitment (not every one has the time to put hundreds of hours of gameplay in anymore), if only PD would listen.

I'm happy for anyone who did struggle, or indeed still is struggling, with the new content though. They're some great cars to improve your skills in. And at least for those who didn't find it much of a challenge, they can still race those cars online.
Couldn't agree more. 5 levels of difficulty if not 3 should suffice. All they need to do is adjust the target time in time trials, AI difficult and credit rewards based on the difficulty (but not sure if more credits should be given for harder difficulty settings). Not to mention that they will then also need to adjust this for seasonal events accordingly and disable all driving aids options for cars that shouldn't have them in real life counterparts.

I'll be a happy fella if they only have difficulty settings for AI and make massive improvements to make them even worthwhile to race against to begin with. Otherwise like GT5, when the servers go offline you practically have no worthy opponents to race with offline unless you're happy to race with friends with half a screen and DS controllers :lol:

The hardest event in gt history in my opinion has to be the almighty mission 34 with the mercedes SLR McLaren i spended around 2 months to gold it.another hard event in gt history was the monaco license with the toyota gt-one...and last but not least the trial mountain license test with the R32,that was one of the hardest events in gt4 in my opinion

The Senna challenge with the 80s Lotus F1 on the 2nd track, silver was hard AF to get lmao.

If I try to get Gold, i'll probably sell the game lol.

I still have nightmares driving that MiTo in one of the early license tests in GT6. You had to manage to get that car up to speed from a stop while keeping it steady and in a straight line until finally being forced to stop it in a blue and white checkerboard area. I don't think I'll ever get over how close those guardrails were. Pants thoroughly dampened.

Maybe I was just a very baaaaad driver back then, but these 2 events in GT3 were impossible for me to finish:

1. FGT Championship... I dont know how this ones difficulty compares to the FGT events in GT5/6 (which were very easy to me), but the AI seemed super fast and made no errors. Later I read on the Internet that you can win this event very easy using a LM car with superhard tires, so you dont have to pit. Never got the chance to try this one again :(

2. Pagani Zonda Event: I wanted that Zonda LM car so badly, but was never ever able to win this race in a C12s...

Back