Marantz SR7007
Definitive Technology speakers:
Mains: BP2006 (powered subs)
Center: CLR2300 (powered sub)
Surrounds: SM450
Rear Surround: BP2x
Main Sub: Polk PS-W505
PS3 & PS4 (both white)
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Yellow) with Acryl-It platter and Phono Box preamp.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
50" Pioneer KURO plasma display
Yamaha RX-A710
Definitive Technology speakers:
Mains: BP2006 (powered subs)
Center: CLR2300 (powered sub)
Surrounds: SM450
Rear Surround: Pro Cinema 60 satellites
Main Sub: Polk PS-W505
PS3 & PS4 (both white)
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Yellow) with Acryl-It platter and Phono Box preamp.

View attachment 274561 View attachment 274562

Nice system 👍 by the way I never did purchase a new turntable after all, I'll probably just buy a new stylus or a new cart for the Marantz table.

Nice system 👍 by the way I never did purchase a new turntable after all, I'll probably just buy a new stylus or a new cart for the Marantz table.

See if any parts are replaceable for it, or upgradable :). Marantz makes good stuff.

See if any parts are replaceable for it, or upgradable :). Marantz makes good stuff.

It's an old 6200, it's very good shape but I think my stylus got damaged in storage, tone arm wasn't locked down :dunce:

As for upgrades; my aluminum platter rings like a bell and the feet don't do much to isolate vibrations, so I'll adress those issues when I get it to produce undistorted sound again.

Nice thread!

Music

Amp: Vincent SV 233
Speakers: MB Quart 720
CDP: Marantz CD 6003
TT: Technis SL 1200 MK II (with Ortofon Concorde Pro System & Vincent Pho 111 Preamp)
MD: Sony MDS JE 330. Old format, but good archive^^

Gaming
Amp: Marantz SR 4021
Speakers: MB Quart 280

Nothing against MiniDisc, but sooner or later that's going to fail, and even 4 years ago when I got out of Hi-Fi it was a PITA to get replacement laser assemblies - especially from Sony. Don't make it your only archive!

I'm wondering if some of you audiophiles could help me with choosing between a HTiB system or a seperate reciever and speakers. For the past 4 years I've used a Sony DAV DZ330, which is quite good considring its price, but lacks any decoding ability for any of the High Definition audio formats, as well as 5.1 LPCM. Thus, I've decided to upgrade. The system will be used exclusively for movies and games. Music is of no importance. Furthermore, it has to be a 5.1 channel system, has to be within my budget (look at the price of my first suggestion), and has to support all 5.1 audio formats relevant to gaming/movies.

I've been researching both HTiB's as well as seperate reciever/speaker solutions for the past week, and I've set my eyes on the Sony BDV-N5200W: http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/all-in-one-home-cinema-systems/bdv-n5200w

I had the opportunity to try it out at the Sony store, and although the conditions were less than optimal (speaker placement and source material), I got the impression that it was a pretty good system for the price. Furthermore, WhatHiFi.com speak highly of the system. I realise that complete surround sound packages don't offer the same level of quality that the more expensive standalone recievers and speakers do. However, as my budget is extremely limited, I've tipped to the side of a HTiB system. The one downside that really annoys me with the Sony 5200, is that for whatever reason, the HDMI inputs do not support the HD audio formats (the HDMI output of course does), meaning that as far as I can understand, I cannot bitstream Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master to the reciever from my PS3/PS4. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Why is this bad when I can just use the Blu-Ray that comes with the system? Well, primarily because watching movies is a nice time for your controller to recharge. It might seem silly, but considering how short the damn cable is for the DS4, it's very nice to be able to charge it every time I watch a movie, while still using the actual console. (I.E. not having it on just for the sake of charging) Disclaimer, I know the controller can recharge while the PS4 is on standby.

For the seperate reciever/speaker system, I've looked at the Sony 7.2 channel STR-DN850:http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/av-receivers/str-dn850

Comes highly recommended from CNET for people on a budget, and appears to have everything I require. However, I am at a complete loss on what speakers/subwoofer I should get for it. I can't spend much more than what the Sony 5200 HTiB costs, and this is quite a problem when going for the supposedly better choice for quality. (I might go for the Sony STR-DH550 instead, as it seems to offer most of the same features, for a much lower price) My concerns regarding going for seperate reciever and speakers, is that it will be both too expensive and too advanced.

Also, it might be worth noting that this is going to be used in a small apartment for the years to come. A dedicated home theater room is not in the cards in the near future. Sadly...

So... What to do? Should I keep it simple, and get the HTiB? Is there any other alternative if the budget cannot exceed the price of the aforementioned Sony HTiB?

@Jawehawk If I needed something fairly inexpensive quick and didn't want to upgrade in the future then I might consider that Sony HTIB.

However if I was in no hurry, still on a budget and wanted a future upgrade path then a Marantz NR-1504 would be a good starting point. Its priced around 250 pounds and sounds very nice for the price, I'd take my time and build around that, possibly looking at used speakers and not rush into a purchase you may regret later. Those HTIB subs are usually boomy and undefined...may sound impressive at first but will grow annoying quickly.

Don't believe the grossly inflated power ratings you see in most HTIB systems, that 1000 watt rating is probably at 10% distortion at 1 kHz...its a marketing ploy. That 50 watt per channel Marantz will walk all over it.

@Jawehawk - I second @Mikeybc's suggestion. Components, while typically more expensive, will give you a better sound. A quality 2 channel setup is better than a mediocre 5/7.1, but that's not to say that you have to break the bank to get top end, either. Be patient, buy pieces as you can and remember that once the receiver and at least the first two speakers are purchased, the system is usable. 👍

All that said, if this is your first foray into surround sound, a HTiB isn't a bad option, I just think there are better ones. Regardless of which option you choose, I am almost positive you'll be happy with whatever you get. Happy hunting.

Nice thread!

Music

Amp: Vincent SV 233
Speakers: MB Quart 720
CDP: Marantz CD 6003
TT: Technis SL 1200 MK II (with Ortofon Concorde Pro System & Vincent Pho 111 Preamp)

Gaming
Amp: Marantz SR 4021
Speakers: MB Quart 280

Another one still with MD here......still got one player on the bedroom hifi that's old enough not to support long play (compressed) discs. Suspect it's getting on for about 20 years old and still going strong:cool:

MD on my main surround setup is a slightly newer Sony MDS-JB940 but TBH neither that or my Meridian 596 DVD player get much use these days. Rest of the system is a Denon AVC-11SR amp, B&W CDN-1NT with matching centre and surrounds and a Velodyne SPL1200 subwoofer.

Thanks for the advice @Mikeybc and @TB.

I should've have expanded on what I've used earlier. The Sony DAV DZ330 that I'm currently using is a 5.1 HTiB theater, and personally, I've always thought it sounded good. I'm just annoyed about the lack of support for DTS HD Master, Dolby TrueHD and 5.1 LPMC.

I don't for a second doubt that a good setup of seperate speakers will sound better, but I do wonder just how well I'll even be able to pick up the quality difference, given that I won't be able to afford top of the line stuff, and that the accoustics in my apartment aren't that good. My hearing isn't horrible, although it's definately not as good as many audiophiles. For me, a 5.1 channel surround sound is absolutely necessary. Stereo just can't immerse me the same way, regardless of quality. And as I desperately need to save up for when I get back to studying, continuesly upgrading with pricey speakers doesn't seem like a good idea.

I suppose the HTiB would be perfectly fine until I move into a house one day and have a higher and more steady income.

On the other hand. The Marantz NR-1504 that you recommend looks pretty damn good. However, the official website doesn't list 5.1 LPMC under the specifications? Is that because PMC just passes right through out to the speakers, as it doesn't need to be decoded? Or does the reciever not support it?

I should've have expanded on what I've used earlier. The Sony DAV DZ330 that I'm currently using is a 5.1 HTiB theater, and personally, I've always thought it sounded good. I'm just annoyed about the lack of support for DTS HD Master, Dolby TrueHD and 5.1 LPMC.
If that's the case, I think all you really need is a new receiver and a bit of speaker wire as you should be able to reuse the speakers you have. The reason you'd need wire is because it looks like the DZ330 uses proprietary connections at the receiver end but the speakers use the standard spring connections.

Sorry @Jawehawk I only saw your last post. I don't know if the Marantz supports LPMC or not. All I know it sounds quite good for the 399 CDN I paid for mine....I'm more of a 2 channel guy and to be perfectly honest I don't even know what LPMC is yet :dunce:

LPMC (Liniar Pulse Magnetic Code) is uncompressed sound. Because it is entirely uncompressed, there's no need for the reciever to decode it, so it is simply sent from the source straight out into the speakers. As Blu-Rays use lossless audio, there's little need for LPMC, but for console games, it should be a significant increase in quality, as they otherwise use the old Dolby and DTS formats.

LPMC is as close to the studio master as you can get.

I'll have to do some more digging. Cheers again for the help and recommendations.

LPMC (Liniar Pulse Magnetic Code) is uncompressed sound. Because it is entirely uncompressed, there's no need for the reciever to decode it, so it is simply sent from the source straight out into the speakers. As Blu-Rays use lossless audio, there's little need for LPMC, but for console games, it should be a significant increase in quality, as they otherwise use the old Dolby and DTS formats.

LPMC is as close to the studio master as you can get.

I'll have to do some more digging. Cheers again for the help and recommendations.

Thanks for the clear explanation, it's appreciated 👍

Hope you find something that suits your needs within budget...half the fun of this hobby is the hunt for gear, dreaming and planning future upgrades, though that can get you into trouble with the better half :)

Anyone have experience with Harman/Kardon? Are they still considered a good brand?

http://eu.harmankardon.com/harman-kardon-product-detail_eu/hk-hkts-9.html

I wonder how they stack up versus the Boston Acoustics A25 speakers and the ASW125 subwoofer. The Boston Acoustics set would cost me 4500 combined, where as I can get this for 2200. Quite a difference, but of course, one wonders if the quality difference is equally significant... Why does this have to be so difficult!

Any opinions on what brand offer the best quality in their budget line-up? Also, and I apologize in advance for what might be a stupid quastion, but do I need to pay attention to things like watts when combining receiver and speakers?

Last edited:
@Jawehawk Harmon Kardon are not known for building speakers and in my opinion not the company they once were in the 70's and 80's and even 90's I'd invest in the Bostons or another good "speaker" company. That tiny 3 inch driver in the Harmon Kardon satellites is not big enough to produce frequencies low enough at adequate volume levels to where a subwoofer would take over, I don't believe the -6 db at 45 Hz spec at all with that tiny little enclosure.

Don't worry about matching power ratings exactly, there is no reason you can't use a 400 watt amp on a 100 watt speaker If you don't accidently crank the volume full blast, a speaker will usually distort audibly distort when pushed to or beyond its limits. When I'm shopping for speakers I couldn't care less what the power handling rating is. Most of the time at normal listening levels a 50 watt or even 400 watt amp will probably never output more than a couple of watts. Though the power required to increase the volume by just 3 decibels (usually described as just a perceptible audible difference) will double...to make the sound seem twice as loud the speaker usually needs approximately 10 times the power from the amp.

What I would be more concerned with is the impedance and efficiency of the speaker. A 4 ohm speaker can be hard on some amps as the amp may not be able to deliver the current a 4 ohm speaker may ask of it, and may run very hot or even burn out the output transistors if played too loud. Some difficult 4 ohm speakers may actually dip to 2 or below ohms at certain frequencies. So make sure the amp you buy is capable of handling a low impedance speaker if you already have 4 ohm speakers, especially if your going to be running 4 or more of them. Since your looking at budget HT amps and don't already have 4 ohm speakers I'd just look at 8 ohm speakers with an efficiency rating of at least 88-89 db and avoid the worry.

Probably not the clearest and complete explanation but I hope it helps.

I've ditched the Harman Kardon in favor of the Boston Acoustics, however, the budget does not support the A25's. Instead I've turned to the 5.1 Soundware XS special Edition set. They've received excellent reviews from numerous professional reviewers, and should hopefully still be better than what I currently have.

I'm having doubts on whether to go for the Marantz 1504 though. It's fine for the XS speakers, but perhaps not so future proof, as it doesn't support 4K passthrough and the power rating is a bit low.

I wouldn't want to have to upgrade the receiver again when getting new speakers in the future.

Perhaps the Marantz 1605 would be a better option.

I could always get the BA A225C in a few months if I want a dedicated center speaker.

Last edited:
I've placed an order for the Boston Soundware XS SE 5.1 with the Marantz 1605 and a set of QED wires.
Looking forward to trying it out.

Very nice, 👍 I noticed they beefed up the 1605 power amp section over the 1604, it's now rated to drive 4 ohm speakers on all 7 channels, that will broaden your choice of speakers in the future. Marantz only recommended a minimum of 6 ohms in the past on their slimline models.

Did you get silver or black ? I think black was my only option over here in Canada, would've loved silver though.

Very nice, 👍 I noticed they beefed up the 1605 power amp section over the 1604, it's now rated to drive 4 ohm speakers on all 7 channels, that will broaden your choice of speakers in the future. Marantz only recommended a minimum of 6 ohms in the past on their slimline models.

Did you get silver or black ? I think black was my only option over here in Canada, would've loved silver though.

I got the black version. It just seems to fit in better, considering both my TV and gaming consoles are black as well. Hell, all my technology is black :D

Also, I have a correction on my earlier explanation of LPCM. It's LPCM, not LPMC. And it stands for Liniar Pulse-Code Modulation. I continuesly mix those two up for whatever reason. :crazy:

To further expand on the Bitstream versus LPCM option, here's a snip from a website I used to get more info about the PS4's audio capabillities.

"Bitstream versus Linear PCM

The PS4 provides options for either "Bitstream" or "Linear PCM" when outputing the audio signal. This option is located in the "Settings->HVD/BD Settings->HVD/BD Audio Output Format(HDMI)" setting of your XMB. Linear PCM is audio data that is not encoded (nor compressed) and is in it's pure digital form, ready for conversion into analog for the speakers. A regular CD stores all its songs in Linear PCM form.

Most audio starting with the DVD store digital data encoded and compressed (like Dolby Digital or Digital Surround). If "Bitstream" option is selected, the PS4 will take this encoded and compressed audio and send it untouched to the HDMI cable for your external decoder to decode. In other words, the receiver at the other end of the HDMI must have special chips that can decode and uncompress formats like Dolby Digital and DTS Digital Surround, and then convert the resultant Linear PCM to analog (via a DAC) for the speakers connected to the external decoder.

If "Linear PCM" option is selected, the PS4 will actually decode the audio into Linear PCM first, before sending it to the HDMI. In this case the receiver on the other end of the HDMI only needs to convert the Linear PCM to analog for the speakers connected to it. Because of the current bandwidth limitations of HDMI, choosing Linear PCM (the decoded and uncompressed signal) on this connection limits you to only 7.1 channels of audio."

Source: http://www.edepot.com/playstation4.html#PS4_Audio

apologize for any confusion on my part.

Last edited:
I got the black version. It just seems to fit in better, considering both my TV and gaming consoles are black as well. Hell, all my technology is black :D

Also, I have a correction on my earlier explanation of LPCM. It's LPCM, not LPMC. And it stands for Liniar Pulse-Code Modulation. I continuesly mix those two up for whatever reason. :crazy:

Ah, I see,

Thanks for the correction...haven't found the time to read up all about it but I will eventually...its in my "things to learn about list" :)

Received everything to today. My stepdad is helping me with the wiring tomorrow (insulating), so until then, I can do nothing but wait in anticipation. Here's a picture to spearhead my upcomming review.

The subwoofer is way bigger than I anticipated.

Attachments

• DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    917.4 KB · Views: 17
Having finally had the chance to properly test my new setup, I am happy to report that is sounds wonderful.
For testing sound during movies, I've chosen Frozen and Lone Survivor, as I believe both offer reference quality sound in their respective genres. All movies/games were played via my PS4.

Featuring a 7.1 channel DTS HD Master track, my 3D Blu-Ray of Frozen was the first to be given a go, and it did not disappoint. The various musical numbers filled up the room while remaining crystal clear and without any form of distortion. One of my favorite scenes in the movie feature Anna confronting her sister in the ice palace, and while they are singing, a small blizzard forms around them. The speakers worked in perfect harmony to make you feel as if you were there within the blizzard, while the singing voices of Kristen Bell and Idina Menzel remained powerful and clear.
Throughout the movie, the rear speakers are given plenty to do with both ambient sounds, as well as voices, and not once did they feel undefined or incomprehensible.

The bass delivered a loud and powerful boost to the sound, without ever overpowering the speakers. None the less, I've turned down the volume a bit after finishing Frozen, as I fear I might otherwise get in trouble with my neighbours :grumpy:.

Next up was Lone Survivor, featuring a 5.1 DTS HD Master track. Aside from being brutally realistic in its depiction of violence (aside from the last 20 minutes where the movie went all Hollywood), Lone Survivor features what might just be the most cinematic, brutal and intense firefight in any movie yet to be released. I was genuinely surprised at how well the speakers and bass handled this kind of action. It was as if I was transported back into the theater where I first watched the movie, with bullets whizzing past my ear, and ricocheting off rocks and trees with utmost determination. With my old HTiB setup, It was easy for the bass to overwhelm the speakers in firefights such as this. But no such problem existed with this setup. The bass was subtle when it needed to be, and powerful when the explosion of an RPG called for it.

Not once did the voices of the characters or sounds of gunfire sound distorted to me. Helicopters made an equally satisfying whoop whoop whoop whenever present, and again, without the bass overshadowing the speakers.

For gaming, I tested the set with both Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes and Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition.

With the audio output set to PCM, MGS Ground Zeroes does a remarkable job of letting you use sound to identify the location of enemy troops. The most impressive part wasn't during gameplay though. But rather during the last cutscene, where the entire surround sound came alive to deliver an epic and satisfying conclusion to the prologue.

Playing Tomb Raider while bitstreaming DTS, the speakers and game do a wonderful job of immersing you into the jungle enviroment.

So all in all, I am beyond satisfied with my purchase. The receiver is easy to use, and the speakers deliver exceptional and accurate sound that defy what you'd expect out of something in this price range.

So to answer the title of this thread. My hometheater now consists of...

Sony KDL50W828 TV
Sony Playstation 3 and 4
Marantz 1605 receiver
Boston Acoustics Soundware XS SE 5.1

Attachments

• DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    915.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Having finally had the chance to properly test my new setup, I am happy to report that is sounds wonderful.
For testing sound during movies, I've chosen Frozen and Lone Survivor, as I believe both offer reference quality sound in their respective genres. All movies/games were played via my PS4.

Featuring a 7.1 channel DTS HD Master track, my 3D Blu-Ray of Frozen was the first to be given a go, and it did not disappoint. The various musical numbers filled up the room while remaining crystal clear and without any form of distortion. One of my favorite scenes in the movie feature Anna confronting her sister in the ice palace, and while thye are singing, a small blizzard forms around them. The speakers worked in perfect harmony to make you feel as if you were there within the blizzard, while the singing voices of Kristen Bell and Idina Menzel remained powerful and clear.
Throughout the movie, the rear speakers are given plenty to do with both ambient sounds, as well as voices, and not once did they feel undefined or incomprehensible.

The bass delivered a loud and powerful boost to the sound, without ever overpowering the speakers. None the less, I've turned down the volume a bit after finishing Frozen, as I fear I might otherwise get in trouble with my neighbours :grumpy:.

Next up was Lone Survivor, featuring a 5.1 DTS HD Master track. Aside from being brutally realistic in its depiction of violence (aside from the last 20 minutes where the movie went all Hollywood), The Long Survivor features what might just be the most cinematic, brutal and intense firefight in any movie yet to be released. I was genuinely surprised at how well the speakers and bass handled this kind of action. It was as if I was transformed back into the theater where I first watched the movie, with bullets whizzing past my ear, and ricocheting off rocks and trees with utmost determination. With my old HTiB setup, It was easy for the bass to overwhelm the speakers in firefights such as this. But no such problem existed with this setup. The bass was subtle when it needed to be, and powerful when the explosion of an RPG called for it.

Not once did the voices of the characters or sounds of gunfire sound distorted to me. Helicopters made an equally satisfying whoop whoop whoop whenever present, and again, without the bass overshadowing the speakers.

For gaming, I tested the set with both Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes and Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition.

With the audio output set to PCM, MGS Ground Zeroes does a remarkable job of letting you use sound to identify the location of enemy troops. The most impressive part wasn't during gameplay though. But rather during the last cutscene, where the entire surround sound came alive to deliver an epic and satisfying conclusion to the prologue.

Playing Tomb Raider while bitstreaming DTS, the speakers and game do a wonderful job of immersing you into the jungle enviroment.

So all in all, I am beyond satisfied with my purchase. The receiver is easy to use, and the speakers deliver exceptional and accurate sound that defy what you'd expect out of something in this price range.

So to answer the title of this thread. My hometheater now consists of...

Sony KDL50W828 TV
Sony Playstation 3 and 4
Marantz 1605 receiver
Boston Acoustics Soundware XS SE 5.1

Congratulations on the purchase ! Nice review 👍

Did you try the Audyssey EQ setup ?

Congratulations on the purchase ! Nice review 👍

Did you try the Audyssey EQ setup ?

I did. It's the optional setup when you first start the receiver, right? It worked well in the sense that the speakers seem to be well calibrated to my room, however, during the setup, it told me to check the wiring for the two front speakers. Weird considering it had no problems playing sound through them, and they all appeared perfectly well connected.

Back