Whats Your Audio / Home Cinema Setup?

• Thread starter 2ez2KiLL
  • 875 comments
however, during the setup, it told me to check the wiring for the two front speakers. Weird considering it had no problems playing sound through them, and they all appeared perfectly well connected.

Could be the polarity (phasing) that is connected wrong.
They'll still work but not sound as good as they should, the cone will be going out when it should be going in an vice versa.

Anyway happy that you're enjoying the new setup 👍, it's always exciting but for the love of god neaten up those cables. :P

Could be the polarity (phasing) that is connected wrong.
They'll still work but not sound as good as they should, the cone will be going out when it should be going in an vice versa.

Anyway happy that you're enjoying the new setup 👍, it's always exciting but for the love of god neaten up those cables. :P

I'll check.

Can't help you with your problem with the wires, though :D:cheers:

image.jpg
Marantz SR7007 is being returned. GODZILLA (Denon 4520ci) should arrive Wednesday! Why "GODZILLA"? When I discovered this unit, the song "GODZILLA" was playing. 2nd, this unit was made in Japan.

$999 brand new, authorized dealer! http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...gship-home-theater-receiver-150wpc-new/1.html

I'm so stoked, it ain't funny!!!

Hey @denonfreak what are your thoughts on the 4520? I'm posting this at 3am Michigan time, FedEx may have it on my door step in 6-7 hours! The SR7007 is packed and ready to go to the UPS Store in the morning.

AVSForum has an incredibly long thread about this AVR, I've been reading through it for several days. It's VERY informative!

Hey @denonfreak what are your thoughts on the 4520? I'm posting this at 3am Michigan time, FedEx may have it on my door step in 6-7 hours! The SR7007 is packed and ready to go to the UPS Store in the morning.

AVSForum has an incredibly long thread about this AVR, I've been reading through it for several days. It's VERY informative!

Congrats on your purchase:cheers: You can't go wrong with Denon especially if it's made in Japan...top of the line AVR-Denons sound just as good as separates for much less money;)..I don't know if you have ever owned a Denon avr before but if you haven't then, be prepare to say goodbye to other brands:D:D:D...Just make sure you have the right speakers for it and good 12 gauge spkr cables:sly: and if you can, use bi-wiring connection for your fronts and center channel(s)
Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited:
TB
I'm extremely happy with the room now but, as always, will be on the hunt for that next good deal, likely a better sub.
It took me almost a year but I've just added a JBL PSW1000 to the family to replace my Yamaha YST-SW105 which will be moved out to the TV. Or run in a 7.2 setup. :dopey:

The JBL is only a 100W, 10" sub (as compared to the Yamaha at 100W, 8") but it's incredible what a difference in air movement that extra 28 square inches of speaker produces!

Very impressive setups guys :)

Here's mine, I hope you like it, it's been quite a long ride. I'm saving for an upgrade soon, but for the moment I'm pleased as hell, I just moved to my new home with my girlfriend and, well, we are very happy with how everything ended up :)

The entrance:

This is where I have those little specifications. From top to bottom, Bravia Theatre, 3D World Created by Sony, BluRay Disc, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital 5.1...

1zx2y5t.jpg

Inside:

An overall look of my HT.

25uqmuq.jpg

My Sony Bravia:

A 3D Bravia, the Sony KDL-42W805a.

2qnpkcw.jpg

My BluRay movies:

Some of my collection, including:
Triple Feature from Stanley Kubrick: 2001 A Space Odyssey - A Clockwork Orange - The Shining, It might get loud, The Cure Trilogy, Gran Torino Steel Edition, I am legend, The Karate Kid, Blade Runner 5 Disc Collector's Edition, Garbage One Mile High Live, Edward Scissorshands, U2 360, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 3D (I still have to buy the first one), The Counselor, Life of Pi 3D, Prometheus 4 Disc Collector's Edition, Twister and Days of Thunder.

2rgfbrk.jpg

My CDs and some DVDs:

A bit of everything, including the whole U2 collection, some japanese music, jazz, blues, classic rock...

fcjq78.jpg

Special Editions:

Including The 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition from one of my favourite movies from one of my favourite Directors, Ridley Scott: Blade Runner.
The Alien Anthology, The Dirty Harry Collection and the 20th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition of The Joshua Tree - U2.

1zjjuu.jpg

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans-serif]Remotes, cellphone and one of my headphones:
[/FONT]
219vqzp.jpg

3D Glasses:

1052yix.jpg

Home Theater:

A old but VERY trusty Sony HT STR-KG700.

67kq6c.jpg

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans-serif]A Sony Discman:

A Sony D-EJ360. This was a gift from my dad when I was 12 or something. I still remember THE IMPACT it had on me, the sound quality was BRUTAL.

zkitz4.jpg

Beneath the PS3 and the HT:

Some books, a couple of DVDs and 2 PSMove.

24e9rhz.jpg

Posters:

I couple of posters I have, but I also have a HUGE Prometheus poster from the cinema. I still need to put them in the walls.

2en96b9.jpg

Alien:

A drawing that my girlfriend did.
[/FONT]
wk6btc.jpg

Just two of my toys....:

24q8x1y.jpg

Wheel:

16ghe2b.jpg

Sony Bravia:

34j3fpf.jpg

256rc7r.jpg

2cfflg4.jpg

Wish I had a dedicated room for a home theater.

I've spent almost 3 years desiring, and after saving quite a lot of money, I've managed to get this right :)
It's all because I love cinema, and I can't stand at the theater with people behaving like animals... I'm sorry but I can't :(

View attachment 314117 Marantz SR7007 is being returned. GODZILLA (Denon 4520ci) should arrive Wednesday! Why "GODZILLA"? When I discovered this unit, the song "GODZILLA" was playing. 2nd, this unit was made in Japan.

$999 brand new, authorized dealer! http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...gship-home-theater-receiver-150wpc-new/1.html

I'm so stoked, it ain't funny!!!

When I remember how expensive was my Denon AVC-A1D, sometime I hate progress :)

Nice amp by the way.

Hi, I'm not here to post a picture of my current setup but I'm seeking help as I maybe want to upgrade my TV. Can anyone help me out and tell me if the TV I've posted a link to here is any decent? I don't want to spend huge amounts of cash and it's in the size range I'm looking for, plus I specifically don't want a Smart TV. I'm more interested in the picture and sound capability, along with long term durability (i.e. is the brand known for durability, does it have any equipment that's known for flogging out early).

Specific uses for my TV include gaming (on PS4 eventually) and some movies, a tiny bit of TV watching.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-e...ung-ua40j5100aw-40-full-hd-led-lcd-tv/698115/

Hi, I'm not here to post a picture of my current setup but I'm seeking help as I maybe want to upgrade my TV. Can anyone help me out and tell me if the TV I've posted a link to here is any decent? I don't want to spend huge amounts of cash and it's in the size range I'm looking for, plus I specifically don't want a Smart TV. I'm more interested in the picture and sound capability, along with long term durability (i.e. is the brand known for durability, does it have any equipment that's known for flogging out early).

Specific uses for my TV include gaming (on PS4 eventually) and some movies, a tiny bit of TV watching.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-e...ung-ua40j5100aw-40-full-hd-led-lcd-tv/698115/

Hi Paulie, I can give you a hand. First: What would be the distance between you and the tv? Approximately.
Second: Are you really interested in picture quality AND sound? Because it's almost impossible to get both of them in a TV. There are so extremely good examples, but they're expensive and, honestly, you can have better sound with a sound bar or a dedicated HT, or even cheaper, with a good pair of headphones.
Third: How much do you want to spend on the TV? It's the only thing that you're planning to buy, at least for now? Or do you have plans to keep upgrading the setup in the future?

My only recommendation for now is STOP whatever you're doing and DO NOT BUY a Samsung. Those TVs are GREAT popping up the colours and contrast, but what you really want is to have the ability to calibrate the TV to get the most accurate representation of everything out of it.

My experience with Samsung has led me to believe that almost any TV they produce, even with their own factory settings, is too damn over saturated. What's commonly known as Colour BLIND. Even after making some serious adjustements the majority of them couldn't reproduce the spectre of colours that they supposed to be reproducing, which is not good, like, at all.
I just did a like research on the website you shared, and there is no much variety. Do you have any other website?

You may think, but this guy is all about Sony, well, yeah, I trust the brand, never let me down, but there are other choices as well. If you want, answer me and I'll give a hand ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Paulie, I can give you a hand. First: What would be the distance between you and the tv? Approximately.
Second: Are you really interested in picture quality AND sound? Because it's almost impossible to get both of them in a TV. There are so extremely good examples, but they're expensive and, honestly, you can have better sound with a sound bar or a dedicated HT, or even cheaper, with a good pair of headphones.
Third: How much do you want to spend on the TV? It's the only thing that you're planning to buy, at least for now? Or do you have plans to keep upgrading the setup in the future?

My only recommendation for now is STOP whatever you're doing and DO NOT BUY a Samsung. Those TVs are GREAT popping up the colours and contrast, but what you really want is to have the ability to calibrate the TV to get the most accurate representation of everything out of it.

My experience with Samsung has led me to believe that almost any fuc·$&· TV they produce, even with their own factory settings, is too damn over saturated. What's commonly known as Colour BLIND. Even after making some serious adjustements the majority of them couldn't reproduce the spectre of colours that they supposed to be reproducing, which is not good, like, at all.
I just did a like research on the website you shared, and there is no much variety. Do you have any other website?

You may think, but this guy is all about Sony, well, yeah, I trust the brand, never let me down, but there are other choices as well. If you want, answer me and I'll give a hand ;)

I could sacrifice some sound for picture quality, so thanks for the advice on Samsung. I sit less than 5m away from my TV, probably around 3-4m. I'm not planning on buying anything else for the setup, and I should have mentioned I don't have much space to work with, so something in that 40-42" range is probably where it will end up being at for me. Budget-wise, I wouldn't want to exceed $1000 I think, but again NOT being a Smart TV is like, priority number 1 to me.

Based on personal experience, I'd recommend you the Sony W828 (or 829, depending on region). Absolutely brilliant TV for both games and movies, although the 3D quality is somewhat lackluster. Very low input lag for games (one of the lowest in any LCD/LED TV ever), and some brilliant pre-sets, in case you don't want to spend too much time calibrating it yourself.

If that doesn't do it for you, then I'd step up into the premium range.

Edit: Sorry, didn't notice the part about it not being a smart TV. I got nothing then. Seems like jamming superflous features into TV's is all the rage in this day and age. But to be fair, I don't think it really increases the price, and it can largely be ignored. If you don't mind me asking, why don't you want it to be a Smart TV?

Last edited:
Bought an ex-demo model Sony Bravia R45 as a follow up to my previous posts. It's an older TV with only a 50HZ refresh rate, but I'm hopeful it will do a decent job of getting the goods out of my PS4 when I get it for Star Wars Battlefront. Can't be worse than my old TCL 32" TV which only got 720P. It seemed to look OK whilst playing PS3 and watching TV before. I bet the picture could be improved somehow, I might have to search online for what others have found works well.

Edit: Well screw that, it has some really annoying image ghosting on Playstation, everything on the screen has a 2nd and 3rd ghost of itself beside it.

Edit 2: Never mind, it was the component cables for what ever reason, switched to the HDMI cable previously on the X-Box and came up laughing. Good times.

Last edited:
20150627_024647_resized.jpg
20150627_024722_resized.jpg

...I was staying up to watch some Goodwood FOS saturday action, read the news and found this thread...here's my modest setup.

-LG 50" super slim 1080p LED-backlit LCD

-Integra DTR 6.2 receiver

-ENERGY full 5.1 speaker system- two towers (that the TV sits on :) ), two bookshelf units, and a powered 12" sub.

-Monster cables all around, PC and systems are direct HDMI to TV, game systems and TV send sound thru optical to receiver.

Monster professional power+signal conditioner.

It's not a very clean setup, but it does the job. :)

It's a lot more stable than it looks ;) I guess if I added a second sub, I would think about wall-mounting instead, lol.

Also, if anyone is looking for a proper audio upgrade- you can come across lightly used, full-size component systems for good prices. ENERGY is a solid brand, and you could probably build a used setup like this for under $1000, depending on your receiver and tower choices. I got the audio gear used from a family member that moved out of town, and the same type of setups are around on CL once in a while.

The benefit of having a system like this, is that it blows the all-in-one boxed systems out of the water, for the most part, in quality and quantity. If one piece goes, you can replace just that one piece. Want your neighbors to hear you? Component systems are the way to go.

Last edited:
My current is:
Visual: Vivo LTV32FHD: Cheap small LCD from 2010 with more inputs than most, at least overscan was easy to turn off
Audio: SONY MHC-GS300AV: Mini 5.1 system from 2002, with a tape deck and 60 CD carousel. I've detached the rear speakers and only ever use it for stereo sound, as it doesn't even support DPLII.

Looking at the "what's in the box" section, it doesn't list an RCA cable. That said, if I were you, I'd buy the the thickest one I could as you'll have less signal loss.

Back