Whats Your Audio / Home Cinema Setup?

• Thread starter 2ez2KiLL
  • 866 comments
TB
Looking at the "what's in the box" section, it doesn't list an RCA cable. That said, if I were you, I'd buy the the thickest one I could as you'll have less signal loss.
I was thinking the same. Thanks...

Eyes:
15" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2014)

Ears:
Shure SRH1840
JDS Labs C5D DAC/Amp

Media:
Mac Mini w/Plex Media Server
24TB external RAID array
D-Link DIR-866L router

Got it all working

X8zLj2m.jpg

Neighbor came over to say his plates were rattling in the cabinets... yeah right. I bet he just doesn't like Carly Rae Jepson

Seeing the new Marantz Nr1606 Slimline makes me regret buying the 1605. I thought I was getting something that was future proof, but I didn't know about the new Dolby Atmos format. How frustrating :banghead:

Has anyone in here had any experience with Atmos? Is it as good as Dolby wants me to believe? The idea of creating a 3D sound space sounds pretty brilliant.

Quick question. I have a pair of large fronts (floorstanders) which because of bookcases on either side of my TV will have to be put 2.5 meters out from centre. I wanted to know, is this too far apart for fronts? Most pictures I see people have them right next to the sides of the TV.

Dolbly recommend an angle of 25-30 degrees apart from where the listener is sitting but this will be the upper end of that, possible more than 30. It is a large room but will it sound ok? Will it be weird hearing front facing sound so far out to the sides (even if I angle them inwards)?

Thanks

I bet he just doesn't like Carly Rae Jepson

How can anyone not like her! Put on tiny little bows and crank it up to 11 for your neighbour ;)

@Robin. - My room

20151025_104919.jpg

is 14 feet wide (so close to your 2.5 meters from center) with the speakers all the way out wide and it sounds fine. The thing to remember with Dolby and THX's speaker placement guide is that's for ideal positioning, which sometimes you simply can't do.

They'll sound fine. 👍

New acquisition, so time for an update.

Left channel: Cerwin Vega E-312
Left subwoofer: JBL PSW-1000

20151122_003228.jpg

Center channel: Sony SS-CN550H

20151122_003331.jpg

Right channel: Cerwin Vega E-312
Right subwoofer: Monoprice 605999

20151122_003409.jpg

Surround left and right: (2) Niles CM7BG
Surround rear left and right: (2) Monoprice 4104
Projector: BenQ W1070

20151122_003453.jpg

Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR616
Remote: LogitechHarmony Hub
BR player: fat PS3 (not pictured)

20151122_003625.jpg

Light switch: Lutron Maestro IR Digital Dimmer

20151122_003521.jpg

Software: PLEX, Netflix (not pictured), Amazon Prime (not pictured)

20151122_003047.jpg

The new subwoofer (Monoprice) arrived on Tuesday. I was concerned how it would pair with the 10+ year old JBL but the sound fantastic together. Each fills in the others high spots and evens the bass out beautifully.

The next upgrade will be a Cerwin Vega SL45C. :D

Seating and back wall

20151122_003148.jpg

Out of curiosity, how come your left and right subwoofer aren't the same model and make?
Also, what exactly is the benefit of having more than one subwoofer?

Setup looks sweet.

Out of curiosity, how come your left and right subwoofer aren't the same model and make?
Because the JBL was bought off of Craigslist for $50 and while it's adequate, it's not all that great, hence why I supplemented it with the Monoprice sub.

For reference, the JBL is 10", 100w and the Monoprice is 10", 200w. Not earth shattering specs but low frequencies drive my wife's ears crazy so I don't really want loud anyway.
Also, what exactly is the benefit of having more than one subwoofer?
My initial thought when I first heard of a 7.2 setup was two subs would just mean more, louder bass. That's entirely possible, obviously, but one article I read said when you're calibrating subs, for each one you add to your sustem, you dial the gain know down by 5dB. That means you're adding more presence, not more volume.

Think of it this way - only having a left channel speaker (mono) works but a left and right (stereo) gives you a wider, fuller soundstage.

This explains it better than I can:
If we move the subwoofers to the null locations for the second mode, they will still be in opposite polarity regions for the odd-numbered (blue and green) modes, and as a result width modes are significantly reduced, if not eliminated. What this means is that everyone across the width of the room will hear the same bass sound.

TwoSub2.jpg
I apologize for going completely overboard with the info, but if you're interested in audio and want the best sound out of what you have, the article I linked to is a great read. It's amazing the difference a few feet can make with speaker placement.
Setup looks sweet.
I do absolutely love it, especially with the different the new sub made. Now to resist the new center channel... :lol:

Cheers for the info and the link. Interesting read, although sadly I can't do much about my current setup in terms of placement. My single subwoofer is standing the only place it can, and even so, I have to turn down the bass a bit, as I live in a very crappy apartment. But one day...

I love the Avengers wallpaper in your home theater room, and those couches look very comfortable.

although sadly I can't do much about my current setup in terms of placement. My single subwoofer is standing the only place it can, and even so, I have to turn down the bass a bit, as I live in a very crappy apartment.
Which is perfectly acceptable! Place them in the best location you can and enjoy them.
But one day...
EXACTLY. 👍
I love the Avengers wallpaper
Rasterbator.

TB
My initial thought when I first heard of a 7.2 setup was two subs would just mean more, louder bass

Too many people set subs up this way even running a single. Good to see you didn't go down that track. 👍

Mine is used just as much for music as movies and it's main job is to fill in the gaps of lower frequencies that the speakers can't replicate. As you say presence, not to over power.

My setup?

TV: Insignia NS-39D400NA14
Audio: Logitech Z-5450
Media: PS4, Xbox One, DirecTV HR44-500

It's a little more conservative than I'd like, but not only do I not have the space for what I'd like to be using, but my room, as it is now, isn't exactly acoustically sound (heh). At the very least I am going to pick up a new surround system as I've been eyeing parts for a good while now and it's about time I just pulled the trigger.

Everything else can fall inline when the opportunity presents itself.

TB
Because the JBL was bought off of Craigslist for $50 and while it's adequate, it's not all that great, hence why I supplemented it with the Monoprice sub.

For reference, the JBL is 10", 100w and the Monoprice is 10", 200w. Not earth shattering specs but low frequencies drive my wife's ears crazy so I don't really want loud anyway.

My initial thought when I first heard of a 7.2 setup was two subs would just mean more, louder bass. That's entirely possible, obviously, but one article I read said when you're calibrating subs, for each one you add to your sustem, you dial the gain know down by 5dB. That means you're adding more presence, not more volume.

Think of it this way - only having a left channel speaker (mono) works but a left and right (stereo) gives you a wider, fuller soundstage.

This explains it better than I can:

I apologize for going completely overboard with the info, but if you're interested in audio and want the best sound out of what you have, the article I linked to is a great read. It's amazing the difference a few feet can make with speaker placement.

I do absolutely love it, especially with the different the new sub made. Now to resist the new center channel... :lol:
I thought that was something new in your signature...

Sweet setup dude! I am not a big movie guy though.

10/10, would sit and watch again. :dunce: :lol:

My friend just treated himself to a rather major purchase.
I have had good audio systems myself in the past, also home cinema installations that I have enjoyed.
Though I got to say I have just recently heard music like I never heard before.

This friend is a persuist of pure stereo quality, seeking detail, presence and a natural realism to his music. While he had a few good systems over the years and before this upgrade having large Mission tower speakers costing over £2000 alone with Cyrus pre-amp and power amplification which I thought was pretty good he found it a bit harsh.

He traded it all in for this, sorry for the poor photo but the build quality and sound of this is incredible. Of course it should be at the price but with finance over 5 years I just hope he finally has found a system he loves and will settle with. He is for using it with a NAS drive and mostly FLAC / TIDAL and 24bit 192Khz where possible.

http://linn.co.uk/music-systems/akudorik

Bit of a mess as he just got it set up prior to my arrival...

Akudorik System

Each speaker stand houses the amplifiers, full digital control of the music, no speaker cables as everything is in the digital domain. The speakers have only power with RJ45 cables utilising a super tweeter. Build quality and finish is as much a pleasure to appreciate as the sound they produce, awesome compact little system. This even before the professional sound engineer (as part of the service) has arrived, so no doubts it will sound even better the next time I get to hear it running.

He's just an average working guy that loves his music and I thought he was crazy getting this but after hearing it, I can see it as an investment into appreciating an amazing music experience every day.

You read such things in review magazines but this is the first I've really experienced a new level or such detail in a stereo system with tight bass and a exceptional presence.

Was a pleasure just to get to experience it.

Last edited:
TB
Seven. Teen. Thousand. Pounds. :eek:

Thats what I kept saying. His past configuration was about seven, which is not hard to spend these days on hi-fi, home cinema or I suppose a mega PC rig . This time he wanted a system and avoid trying to match different components with different brands of speakers.

He recently sold his sporty car and went down to a 1.2 litre Ford Fiesta (basic model). He said one of the complete speakers/stand cost more than the car, lol. The main component box is about 4 grand, crazy but thats what you pay for LINN and other high end brands.

He told me what he used to spend on fuel (UK extortion prices) for the car compared to the new little run around and I can kinda see his reasoning or way to excuse the expense for what it appears to be. Though their is no denying it is a very capable system as most reviews for it agree on.

Last edited:
Sony PlayStation 3
Sony PlayStation 4
Sony Bravia KDL40W705CBAEP
Sony DAV-DZ660 5.1 Home Cinema

Center channel is on the shelf above the TV, the subwoofer is also there.
Left and right channels are on the top shelves lying on the sides.
Left and Right surround channels are in the opposite side of the room standing on the legs.

Small room.
Calibrated with a microphone.

untitled_by_unitoone-d9pq3ex.jpg

Here are the TV settings: link

Last edited:
A quick pic of the HT with the new TV.

Receiver - Marantz NR-1403

Speakers - PSB Stratus Silver (main)
Paradigm Studio 20 (rear)
PSB Stratus C6 (center channel) not in use at the moment, no room
Energy e:XL-S12 Subwoofer.

Television - Sony XBR-65X850C
DVD Player - Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray player

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice setups guys, that Linn seventeen. Thousand. Pounds. Speechless! Nice setup Mikey. Now you need Xbox one and forza 6 :)

My setup. Is not really a proper home cinema but sound is good enough for £600 speakers.

Creek Audio / Epos - Epoz Aktimate Maxi active speakers. Class A amplifier. 2 X 60 watts rs per channel. They go loud enough and play as good as the source allows. They are very impressive sounding speakers. I love them to bits.

They are a multi-purpose multimedia 2.0 system which also function as a clock, FM radio, alarm clock, sleep timer, media server, receiver, internet radio, iPod dock.

You can add subwoofer to them or via lan I think you can add more Maxi units for 3 or 4 speaker setup.

Panasonic TX-P42GT50B Smart Vierra Plasma.

Panasonic DMP-BDT-220 Blu-ray player. Region free version.

PS3, PS4, XBOX ONE, VIRGIN MEDIA CABLE TIVO BOX.

IMAG0259_zpssglozof8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMAG0259_zpssglozof8.jpg

IMAG0260_zpsnwbl1j0m.jpg

Nice setups guys, that Linn seventeen. Thousand. Pounds. Speechless! Nice setup Mikey. Now you need Xbox one and forza 6 :)

My setup. Is not really a proper home cinema but sound is good enough for £600 speakers.

Creek Audio / Epos - Epoz Aktimate Maxi active speakers. Class A amplifier. 2 X 60 watts rs per channel. They go loud enough and play as good as the source allows. They are very impressive sounding speakers. I love them to bits.

They are a multi-purpose multimedia 2.0 system which also function as a clock, FM radio, alarm clock, sleep timer, media server, receiver, internet radio, iPod dock.

You can add subwoofer to them or via lan I think you can add more Maxi units for 3 or 4 speaker setup.

Panasonic TX-P42GT50B Smart Vierra Plasma.

Panasonic DMP-BDT-220 Blu-ray player. Region free version.

PS3, PS4, XBOX ONE, VIRGIN MEDIA CABLE TIVO BOX.

IMAG0259_zpssglozof8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMAG0259_zpssglozof8.jpg

IMAG0260_zpsnwbl1j0m.jpg

Nice 👍 those Epos powered speakers look like a great package. I've never seen them before and not sure if those are even available in Canada...theyd probably be well over 1000 bucks here. A good friend of mine had a pair Epos M-16i for a couple years and he loved them.

I lost interest in the video game thing for a while, been 2 months now without powering up the ps3. Might get a ps4 someday if its 4k capable...I never bothered to check into it yet. I did get a Dualshock 4 controller for the Sony TV though, and I installed Mame onto the TV with a few roms like pacman, Mrs. Pacman, defender, asteroids etc so I've been playing the arcade classics mainly. The controller works great with the TV.

Haven't updated for a while since here so here goes.

Up front.

DSC_0308.jpg

TV: LG EG910T 55" OLED
Front Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins 685's
Centre Speaker: Bowers and Wilkins HTM62
Subwoofer: Bowers and Wilkins ASW 608

Gear on rack from top left to bottom right.

Foxtel pay TV box.
Logitech Squeezbox Touch for streaming my ripped cd's to flac from the PC.
PS4
Panasonic Blu-Ray player/recorder
Denon Receiver AVR 1911

At the back.

DSC_0310.jpg

Rear Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins CWM652 in wall speakers.

A closer look with the grill removed (needs dusting :guilty:)

DSC_0324.jpg

Apart from these sounding way better than the previous rears I had they blend in very well with the grills painted to the wall colour. The photo actually makes them stand out for some reason.

Pretty happy with the set-up now.

The TV is the newest addition and I'm still getting to grips with the settings.
Once it's been run for 100 hours or so I will calibrate it properly using the sensor I use for my PC monitor and some freeware that's available.
As it stands though using some generic settings which aren't panel specific it still absolutely obliterates my previous Plasma screen. Down side is if you don't feed is quality images it really shows up the faults in the signal it's receiving, I'm looking at you standard definition free to air television.
Blu-Rays are absolutely stunning on it. :D

TB
@Shaun - I absolutely love how those B&Ws look and I can only imagine how awesome the new TV looks. :drool:

Thanks,

Tv out of the box is very good as long as you avoid one of the retina burning modes and put it in ISF expert mode (cinema is pretty good also).
There are two ISF modes available which means down the track once I have the calibration methods nailed I'll set one for daytime viewing and the other for night viewing.

On calibration I wouldn't call myself a total noob as I calibrate my PC monitor albeit with that it's mostly an automated process but I at least understand what's going on.
On the TV however I'll need to interpret the readings via my meter and the software and manually adjust the settings then rinse and repeat until done.

Over the last week my god have I done some research and reading on it. Last night I ran a few test without making any changes to familiarize myself with the process and it turns out the untouched settings are pretty good. Previously I had also put in the settings from a poster on another forum (this is how we've been viewing it for the last week) and these settings are even better even though no two panels are the same, so much so it would probably pass as a quick and dirty professional calibration.

Of course me being me that's simply not good enough when closest to perfection is the aim. :lol:
Feeling reasonably confident now the old plasma will become the guinea pig and then it's a matter of finding a few spare day and night hours to have a crack at the new set.

Worst case scenario if I totally stuff it I can revert to my current borrowed settings. :lol:

Back