Whats your expectation on GT Sport

What's your level of expectation on GT Sport?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Almost certain I would say given the strength of the GT brand name. The only way it wouldn't is if it gets critically slammed by pretty much every outlet at launch, and even then brand loyalty would probably carry it far enough.
Dont be too sure of that. It took PD a long time to release sales numbers for GT6. That might be reset with a new machine but I suspect Gran Turismo doesn't have the pull it used to have.

Dont be too sure of that. It took PD a long time to release sales numbers for GT6. That might be reset with a new machine but I suspect Gran Turismo doesn't have the pull it used to have.

Regardless, how many copies does it have to sell on PS4 to beat pCARS and AC combined? 1 miilion? 2 million?

It may tank at launch, and it may get the early bargain bin treatment like GT6 did. But I don't see any way that four years from now GTS hasn't sold at least 2 million copies, even if most of them have to be at $5 each.

I agree that Gran Turismo absolutely doesn't have the pull that it used to have, but beating pCARS and AC combined on a single platform isn't exactly a high bar to reach. A game with a $5 million budget and a game developed by a dozen blokes in a garage? If Polyphony can't make a game that sells more than both of those put together they should hang up their hats and resign, because they will officially be a disgrace to their profession.

Regardless, how many copies does it have to sell on PS4 to beat pCARS and AC combined? 1 miilion? 2 million?

It may tank at launch, and it may get the early bargain bin treatment like GT6 did. But I don't see any way that four years from now GTS hasn't sold at least 2 million copies, even if most of them have to be at $5 each.

I agree that Gran Turismo absolutely doesn't have the pull that it used to have, but beating pCARS and AC combined on a single platform isn't exactly a high bar to reach. A game with a $5 million budget and a game developed by a dozen blokes in a garage? If Polyphony can't make a game that sells more than both of those put together they should hang up their hats and resign, because they will officially be a disgrace to their profession.

Skipping the part of the "dozen blokes in a garage" the question is if PD can make a better (sim) game than SMS and Kunos.And imo they cant.Pcars and AC (especially this) are hardcore sim type of games.I dont think GTS will ever be that kind of game.And even if they are actually trying to make one,it is really difficult to make a sim in the same level of AC (those "dozen blokes" make the simulators used by Ferrari and now have the same deal with Porsche too.)

What makes you think just beating AC or PCars is the goal? PD has a staff of 200. AC has a core staff of 12 and up to 28 now before the console launch. PCars was rumoured to have been funded in the neighbourhood of $6-7 million. GT5 had a budget of $60-80 million. What do you think the budget for GTSport is? It's like saying I hope a new blockbuster movie made for $150 million to an indie flick made for $10 million. Not quite the same thing. GTSport has to move far bigger numbers just to break even.

What makes you think just beating AC or PCars is the goal? PD has a staff of 200. AC has a core staff of 12 and up to 28 now before the console launch. PCars was rumoured to have been funded in the neighbourhood of $6-7 million. GT5 had a budget of $60-80 million. What do you think the budget for GTSport is? It's like saying I hope a new blockbuster movie made for $150 million to an indie flick made for $10 million. Not quite the same thing. GTSport has to move far bigger numbers just to break even.

Maybe you should follow the rest of the discussion back before you jump in with both feet.

Will it sell 10+ mil copies? No, it won't. But will it sell higher than, say, PCars and Assetto Corsa combined on PS4? Likely.

Almost certain I would say given the strength of the GT brand name. The only way it wouldn't is if it gets critically slammed by pretty much every outlet at launch, and even then brand loyalty would probably carry it far enough.

I never mentioned Polyphony's goals or targets for the game. Simply that it was more or less guaranteed that GTS outsells pCARS and AC on strength of name alone, and even without that if it can't outsell the two of them on quality then maybe Polyphony should just shut up shop.

Skipping the part of the "dozen blokes in a garage" the question is if PD can make a better (sim) game than SMS and Kunos.And imo they cant.Pcars and AC (especially this) are hardcore sim type of games.I dont think GTS will ever be that kind of game.And even if they are actually trying to make one,it is really difficult to make a sim in the same level of AC (those "dozen blokes" make the simulators used by Ferrari and now have the same deal with Porsche too.)

Whatever GTS may be trying to be (which we may not really know until we actually get to play it), historically Gran Turismo hasn't gone for the hardcore sim market. They've gone for enough simulation to be believable, and simplistic enough to be easy and fun to their target market.

I absolutely agree that Polyphony can't make a sim of the quality of AC, but that's not what I was saying. Hardcore sims don't generally sell that well. Gran Turismo has historically sold well, that's one of it's strengths. If Polyphony can't make a game that outsells a couple of relatively hardcore sims developed on a relative shoestring, then what are Polyphony good for? Sony might as well kick them to the curb and hire Kunos to develop GTS2.

Maybe you should follow the rest of the discussion back before you jump in with both feet.

I never mentioned Polyphony's goals or targets for the game. Simply that it was more or less guaranteed that GTS outsells pCARS and AC on strength of name alone, and even without that if it can't outsell the two of them on quality then maybe Polyphony should just shut up shop.

Whatever GTS may be trying to be (which we may not really know until we actually get to play it), historically Gran Turismo hasn't gone for the hardcore sim market. They've gone for enough simulation to be believable, and simplistic enough to be easy and fun to their target market.

I absolutely agree that Polyphony can't make a sim of the quality of AC, but that's not what I was saying. Hardcore sims don't generally sell that well. Gran Turismo has historically sold well, that's one of it's strengths. If Polyphony can't make a game that outsells a couple of relatively hardcore sims developed on a relative shoestring, then what are Polyphony good for? Sony might as well kick them to the curb and hire Kunos to develop GTS2.

We can agree on that.

It seems rather clear that PD has plenty of work to do. The are behind PCars and AC in the most important of areas.
That is driving feel, sound, damage, , tire model, tuning interface and sound. If PD has not either surpassed or pulled even with Kunos and SMS in those areas, they are officially dead in the water.

I have no doubt that GTS/GT7 will be clearly better than Assetto and Project in user interface and menu function.
And Polyphony will be light years ahead of both with respect to social and on-line aspects. I think PD really scored when they decided to put rules and driving educate in place. And letting drivers of different skill levels drive with each other.
The better driver you become, your field of opponents changes. If you've ever been in a wacky on-line lobby, this is a God send and really the way all sims should be handled.

The GT franchise is still the fat cat. And rightfully so. They've been at it the longest, and they have a solid foundation.
But the small boys have pulled even by giving players what they really crave.
Realism, graphics and now choice of platform. Polyphony got fat a lazy thinking no one could touch them.
They were wrong.

So now they need to step up their game big time. I've always been a fan of GT. But I no longer play it at all. I am very happy hot lapping in either Assetto Corsa or Project Cars on my PC. (I own PCars for PS4, but my G27 wont work)
Gran Turismo also lost a bit of it's luster by eliminating dynamic weather and time changes. Hopefully they get that feature back in later releases. If the PS4 is such an able piece of hardware, then saving weather effects should be well within it's range.

I am hoping PD pulls this off and becomes a simulation with slick user interface and next gen social and technical features.

It seems rather clear that PD has plenty of work to do. The are behind PCars and AC in the most important of areas.
That is driving feel, sound, damage, , tire model, tuning interface and sound. If PD has not either surpassed or pulled even with Kunos and SMS in those areas, they are officially dead in the water.
GTS (or even Assetto's console version) hasn't launched yet so your claim is no good. And Pcars' interfaces are far from good in my opinion + after a year it still manages to lose saved tunes.

I expect it to be the best racing game on console. That does not mean it will be, or that I am a blind fanboy or graphics monkey. It could be a disappointment. But based on what has been shown so far I believe that they will deliver on PS4. PS3 was difficult for PD, and nowadays there is so much competition on consoles. Polyphony Digital really have to deliver, and I expect them to so.

I am intrigued just a little with what PD are up to here. Not enough to buy in just yet though.

The BMW suddenly building only scooters analogy almost fits, except most people are generally not unhappy with BMW. M

The gung-ho need to get 100% crowd will have a major problem it seems. Only a few players on Earth will qualify to be in the final races the way it looks to be laid
out. Then again, this is WoW on racetracks the more it is described lol.

GTS (or even Assetto's console version) hasn't launched yet so your claim is no good. And Pcars' interfaces are far from good in my opinion + after a year it still manages to lose saved tunes.

Please read my post again: "I have no doubt that GTS/GT7 will be clearly better than Assetto and Project in user interface and menu function."

I am fully aware of both Assetto and Project's shortcomings. Especially when measured against GT.
But GT lost what should be the heart and soul of every racing game........feel, emersion and authenticity.

I've yet to dislike a GT game, so I don't see why this would be any different.

Everything looks great to me, the framerate seems better already, the little dirt splotches and all those little details look good too. FINALLY Getting a decal editor is a dream come true for a custom car guy like me :) And I'm pretty excited for online racing against people in my skill range so I don't get blown away instantly because I'm slow lol.

As far as I see it, the only real issues are the sounds still haven't been addressed yet and there's no AE86. I can live with that though, so I'm not bothered. And I never cared for damage, regardless of how "realistic" it's supposed to make it.

So far I'm expecting to give it an 8. To me this is only a glorified prologue, so I wouldn't be surprised if a few problems pop up lol.

I absolutely agree that Polyphony can't make a sim of the quality of AC,
I don't. If the ISR's impressions were accurate they said GTS was like AC to drive when they tested the latest build on the second day at E3, we already know GTS looks better and GTS should also have better online racing. It seems to me that GTS could easily turn out to be a better sim than AC.

7HO
I don't. If the ISR's impressions were accurate they said GTS was like AC to drive when they tested the latest build on the second day at E3, we already know GTS looks better and GTS should also have better online racing. It seems to me that GTS could easily turn out to be a better sim than AC.

Anything is possible. I'm hoping that my cat starts pooping dollar coins.

Well, I expect the game to be better than GT6. Like, way better... I don't have great expectations for this game, I just want it to be enjoyable. I'm not saying this will be the best sim racer ever, because it clearly isn't - but it would definitely be close if the experience is memorable.

I was extremely pessimistic in my expectation A couple of weeks ago of GT Sport until I saw Inside Sim Racing's latest report: John Sable said the Graphics and Sound of The latest version of GT Sport was greatly improved since the London reveal, and A day after E3 he got A chance to test it at The Gran Turismo Explorer Studio in Venice Beach California. Then A couple days ago I was watching ESPN and A Madden NFL Championship game was being televised, and A big smile grew across my face when I realized the direction GT Sport was headed with the whole E Sport focus. Putting GT6 car count out of my head, and starting over the car list is good for a launch with 149 cars being Super Premium, and Livery Editor: Windshield and side mirrors are decal accessible which is one uping Forza Mortorsport 6 Livery Editor. So now my expectation for GT sport is fairly high, I would say an 8 on this polling scale. I just hope GT fans are also Autosport fans as well, because I am A big fan of Formula 1, Blancpain, Pirelli World Challenge, BTCC, DTM, Indy Car, and the Weather Tech Championship (Sorry NASCAR no love here, needs more road course races, ovals are boring to me) Because if GT Fans are not Autosports fans too this thing could go horribly wrong if GT Fans are NOT into real Autosports, Most Madden NFL fans are real NFL Fans, that's why the E sport works so well for Madden, So from A sales perspective, GT fans should be Real Autosport fans, Unless GT Sport can facilitate turning GT Fans into Autosports fans, but as A E Sport Racing Simulator alone I think GT Sports is going to be great, and once more DLC cars are added it will be the greatest E-Sport Racing Simulator on the market for console (Well it will be the only E-Sport Racing Simulator On Console:lol: but great none the less), hopefully cars of the current Race Championships that I already named, One GT Vision car to every 20 real cars, current or historic.👍

Last edited:
Well, I expect the game to be better than GT6. Like, way better... I don't have great expectations for this game, I just want it to be enjoyable. I'm not saying this will be the best sim racer ever, because it clearly isn't - but it would definitely be close if the experience is memorable.
I expected GT6 to fix all the issues I had with GT5 though. It never occurred to me that it would replace GT5 as the worst GT game of all time to me. I have no expectation of GTS at all. It would be nice if PD was to prove me wrong in that assessment.

Stating that PD can't do a better sim than Pcars and AC, it seems a little arbitrary.

I mean, Pcars is a great RACING game, but it fails hard when you just want to drive or messing around with a car. Drifting is really hard and unnatural on it.
The drifting physics in GT6 are better than PCars, that's for sure. And as stated here before not only ISR said that GTS feels like AC but others people said it too.

With no proper career mode and actual race events offline, no tuning, no bspec, no open wheel racing and F1, extremely limited Rally racing (indicated so far), while claiming to be a full GT title, it would definitely have to be the worst GT game for me come release time.

I expect to finish all the "lessons" collect all the cars, maybe a few arcade sessions, play around with livery and scapes, and go online time to time. Yeah, not very engaging compared to past GT.

For me, Gran Turismo was mostly an offline experience. In GT5 and GT6, I only rarely went online to do racing, mainly to do drag races or if I have a few mates online who want a race. Then again, most of my friends haven't even heard of the game, so they usually crash at my place and race split screen on my tv (and mostly crash in the game too :P)
I've been needing a reason to plug in my PS4 again since I finished Need for Speed and Ratchet and Clank, and this looks like it will be it. Sure it's mainly aimed at online play and FIA rules yadayadayada, but it's something I can deal with. Separating the clean racers from dirty will probably influence me to try online more often so I don't have to watch out for people who are just trying to be 🤬 during races. But there's also a career/single player which I will be sure to play first and probably 70% of the time.
Photomode seems alot better, hopefully the scapes have a wide variety and are beautiful, because I'll be spending a hell of a long time on it too.
Sure there may not be a wide variety of cars from different eras, removing the ~600 standards was what some (if not most) of the people wanted (even if it's just for this game). Despite this, I would've liked a few <1990 cars but again, it's something I can live with.
I'm expecting this game to be a thrill to play, not something I would spend 4-5 years playing, but just a taste of what PD can accomplish on PS4, and what to look forward to in GT7. This may also perhaps be a starting point for me to actually go online and race against other people around the world, which could be a nice change 👍

Last edited:
I can guarantee it will be underwhelming. GT4 was the racing game that dreams were made of in terms of content and longevity. GT5 was a bizarre game design with that horrific leveling system, and GT6 was a farce.

I'd love to be blown away, but I have an awful feeling it will be GT6 with better graphics.

Regarding the sales: even if GTS ends up being an average racing game, it can still play ''Image and Reputation'' card. This can help Sony return the investments to a degree, something other simulators can't used yet.

Back