I look at the vette like this. It is the real American sportscar. Most other countries look at America as something that dominates everything, well the Vette is the same way.
In nature it is actually an autocross car, designed for tight turning radius's quick braking, and not much roll. Yet, it still has the ability right off the showroom floor to run wild on a dragstrip, and then with nothing changed, go out run 70 thousand dollar vipers, and 90k Nsx's and many many other 'high priced cars' for alot less.
Also, it is a car you see everyday, I've never seen a NSX, i've seen 2 Vipers. I see atleast 5 vettes everday, 3 are c5's, 1 is an lt1 or older, and 1 is a z06.
Its something we can relate to, and I feel proud that a company can make such a versatile car, to make nearly 30mpg highway, 11/12 second quarters, out preform street legal race cars and last but not least, it doesn't take much to drive it, whereas most other cars require a perfect driver for peak performance.