Wheel Drift: Impossible

• Thread starter Mr_Nubinz
  • 113 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr_Nubinz
So I've been trying to drift in gt6 all last night and this morning. I have to say at this point I feel jip'd.

I know the Extreme Disappoint thread is there for this but the opinions and information are varied cause of wheel vs. controller users.
So to my fellow wheel drifters I ask, what's working and what's not. What have you tried, any tuning working out, wheel settings, etc.

I'd like to get this worked out as best as we can so we can enjoy this game.

Using: G27 w/ Clutch
Wheel setting: Simulation

I put down 3-4 hours on a car last night, made it to run they way it should. And now its gone, stupid PD.

Oh don't get me wrong I understand all of what your saying. I'm not saying its impossible ether (just playing with words)

I've messed with toe, spring rates, camber, sway bars, everything and nothing cures the horrendous snap and twitch you get when drifting with a wheel.

I put down 3-4 hours on a car last night, made it to run they way it should. And now its gone, stupid PD.

Yeah I have tried to tune my 86. So far the thing that's worked best its a stiff front sway bar, heavy front camber, super soft dampers and stiff front springs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh don't get me wrong I understand all of what your saying. I'm not saying its impossible ether (just playing with words)

I've messed with toe, spring rates, camber, sway bars, everything and nothing cures the horrendous snap and twitch you get when drifting with a wheel.

My friend had the same problem, then looked in his wheel settings and changed a few things like putting FFB on full and disabling power steering. It seemed to help quite a bit...

My friend had the same problem, then looked in his wheel settings and changed a few things like putting FFB on full and disabling power steering. It seemed to help quite a bit...

Yeah that's how I normally run it too. I'm starting to feel like I need an ebrake. Normally I rely on braking and feint techniques.

I found higher FFB helps more in this come compared to GT5. Especially on the DFGT.

Yeah doing that and having a fully stiff front sway bar seems to really help steering feel. It seems you have to put focus on maintaining a shallower angle than gt5 which can get tricky but progress is being made.

Also fully stiff springs all around helped the cars balance however I have yet to try it on something other than my AE86

i've maneged a few drifts in stock gt86 on comfort hard within 2h of gameplay, i was practicing on tsukuba
nailed all of the corners but not manji in the straights

I accidentally got my Miata sideways smoothly a few times just while racing. I wouldn't say it's impossible, just got to find a good setting. I know my current settings won't be enough for full on drifts, being 172hp and I've been racing with sports hards.
GT5 I had all kinds of trouble drifting with my wheel. I can't say a whole lot about GT6, since I have yet to try drifting.

Within 5 minutes I could drift my AE86 on Willow with a basic setup while using a G27 with clutch, 10 FFB and simulation handling. Even felt quite fun. I believe the trick to it is to harden the springs up. My GT5 AE86 has damper settings on 4 and Anti roll on 2 or 3. GT6 requires 6 or 7 for dampers and 4 to 5 for anti roll bars.

Just remember man, don't be stubborn about how to drift. We've all grown accustom to GT5 but we have to change that system if we want to drift in GT6. Everyone alike is a noob now, so don't think you're falling behind the pack in skill or something :lol:

Anyone else having this problem? Whenever the car comes to a dead standstill, the accelerator pedal stays a quarter of the way stuck on. A friend and I both came across this bug using a G27.

Last edited:
Anyone else having this problem? Whenever the car comes to a dead standstill, the accelerator pedal stays a quarter of the way stuck on. A friend and I both came across this bug using a G27.
That may be because you need to clean your pedals. Mince flicker a tiny bit at times which means they need to be cleaned. If they do need to be cleaned, check out this video:

just when i get the hang of wheel drifting on GT5... hahahah

i can never tell when to countersteer, and then counter the counter, what angle it will counter at... blah blah, it really is difficult...

I drift casually with G27 and a stock Toyota 86 on CH tires. I can do it all day without a crash in GT5, but not 3 corners in GT6. Anytime I go above 30 degrees it's a spin out or I lose so much speed it's not a drift at all. 👎

I think the biggest problem I've had with drifting with a wheel has been spinning out constantly. It almost feels as if I'm constantly getting rear-ended, like the rear end rotates too easily. I have noticed this while driving in a variety of different cars on different compounds. I noticed that in general, stiffening helps a bit when grip racing, but I still struggle to optimize a drift setting. So far I have mostly just initiated drifts with very low angle and gradually laid into the throttle in order to control the rotation of the car (even in a stock 240sx with a 59-41 weight ratio to the front and relatively minimal wheelspin...)

I think the biggest problem I've had with drifting with a wheel has been spinning out constantly. It almost feels as if I'm constantly getting rear-ended, like the rear end rotates too easily. I have noticed this while driving in a variety of different cars on different compounds. I noticed that in general, stiffening helps a bit when grip racing, but I still struggle to optimize a drift setting. So far I have mostly just initiated drifts with very low angle and gradually laid into the throttle in order to control the rotation of the car (even in a stock 240sx with a 59-41 weight ratio to the front and relatively minimal wheelspin...)

I had this too. It turned out to be that your coming off
the throttle ether to much, or to suddenly. Diff tuning should help out. I'm still messing with mine.

Yeah. I think I got a winning tune finally. I'm actually running -0.50 front toe and 3.5 camber. And I found that adjusting the rear sway and dampers together help keep balance. Go stiffer for more oversteer/looser and vise versa.

Example mine is 6 for both rear dampers and 4 for bar stiffness.

So I've been trying to drift in gt6 all last night and this morning. I have to say at this point I feel jip'd.

I know the Extreme Disappoint thread is there for this but the opinions and information are varied cause of wheel vs. controller users.
So to my fellow wheel drifters I ask, what's working and what's not. What have you tried, any tuning working out, wheel settings, etc.

I'd like to get this worked out as best as we can so we can enjoy this game.

Using: G27 w/ Clutch
Wheel setting: Simulation

It's definitely much more difficult than GT5. Throttle control seems to be much more important, imo. A locked differential seemed to help me out immensely, which seems counter-intuitive to GT5, but makes sense considering they revamped the physics. (personally at 30/60/60). I'd recommend not using the clutch at the beginning. The clutch has NEVER worked well and has always been hit or miss. Just hit one of the paddles once, then you can freely shift with the H-Pattern without using the clutch.

I'm using a MK4 Supra, and it's pretty damn smooth. I've had some pretty good runs at Apricot Hill if I do say so myself.

Tried a few high-powered cars, then went back to my 86 and threw a turbo at it. Funny how it got like 80% better. Compared to GT5 seems GT6 need a lot more hp or tq to hold a slide. No more low hp drifting I guess. Car is still very prone to spin out when I try to get more angle.

That may be because you need to clean your pedals. Mince flicker a tiny bit at times which means they need to be cleaned. If they do need to be cleaned, check out this video:

i dont do all that to clean mine. all you need is some electrical contact cleaner. spray it in the openings in the side of the potenometer, work the pedal back and forth, do it again, then blow dry out!!

That looks very hard. Or time consuming. I did this to my pedals and seemed to do the trick

just when i get the hang of wheel drifting on GT5... hahahah

i can never tell when to countersteer, and then counter the counter, what angle it will counter at... blah blah, it really is difficult...

LOL! Not laughing at you, but you reminded me of the new guys who come to the track, and do nothing but fight the wheel the whole time. You would think there is a swarm of bees in the car with them, from the way their arms and hands are being flung about. That's how I pictured you, but in the comfort in your home.

Try letting the car steer itself and you add little touches here and there to guide it. If you want to fully control the wheel, you will have to steer with your foot and be precise. Youtube Taniguchi's incar footage and you'll see what I mean by full wheel control. He is boring to watch, but he can handle a car.

Tried a few high-powered cars, then went back to my 86 and threw a turbo at it. Funny how it got like 80% better. Compared to GT5 seems GT6 need a lot more hp or tq to hold a slide. No more low hp drifting I guess. Car is still very prone to spin out when I try to get more angle.

It's probably your set up. I drift with a 160hp 86.

Use shorter gears instead of more hp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back