Wheel size and removal of rear wing

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tangofry
  • 49 comments
  • 2,796 views
Good lord I wish you guys would stop using the word "rims." These are WHEELS we're talking about here, the rim is only the portion that holds the tire bead.

Sorry, pet peeve, carry on.

"Rim" is widely used to refer to the entire wheel, so I wouldn't say it's incorrect. But I'm with you that I don't like the usage of "rim" when referring to "wheel". It somewhat annoys me as well.
 
"Rim" is widely used to refer to the entire wheel, so I wouldn't say it's incorrect. But I'm with you that I don't like the usage of "rim" when referring to "wheel". It somewhat annoys me as well.
It is? My english is'nt the best but I seriously thought "rim" was the inner steel/aluminum/titan/cabon fibre thing, "tyre" was the outer rubber thing, and "wheel" the entire round thing put together...
 
et_
It is? My english is'nt the best but I seriously thought "rim" was the inner steel/aluminum/titan/cabon fibre thing, "tyre" was the outer rubber thing, and "wheel" the entire round thing put together...

Wheel could refer to only the wheel without the tire, or the entire wheel/tire assembly. I personally don't think using the term "rim" to describe just the inner portion incorrect, I just don't like seeing it used that way. But that's my problem, you don't have to worry about it. I just think that saying "rim" when referring to the wheel is kind of like saying your car is your "whip". To me it sounds stupid.
 
"Rim" is widely used to refer to the entire wheel, so I wouldn't say it's incorrect. But I'm with you that I don't like the usage of "rim" when referring to "wheel". It somewhat annoys me as well.


No, the rim is not the tyre. Period. I don't care if some people don't understand the words they use, ignorance does not make something correct.

et_
It is? My english is'nt the best but I seriously thought "rim" was the inner steel/aluminum/titan/cabon fibre thing, "tyre" was the outer rubber thing, and "wheel" the entire round thing put together...

Don't worry, your command of English is better than a considerable proportion of native speakers and you are absolutely correct in this case.
 
Aaaaand we're off-topic...:grumpy:
 
Has anyone noticed any difference in the responsiveness of the car with lower profile tyres, like you would in real life?
 
Nowhere did I say your logic is flawed (and I still AM in school, but nice try at talking to me in a condescending way)

I'm saying that you have no EVIDENCE that the tire size actually increases. Sure it would be hard to see. But that's what we need- evidence that the tire size actually changes.

Is that clear enough? Or do you need new glasses :sly: haha I'm kidding.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. You get upset with him for what you think his him talking to you in a condescending way, but yet you do the same to him here, "but your logic is greatly flawed my friend. Not just in this thread, but in the SRF one as well." You try to preface it with the age old, "I really don't want to come across as rude" bit, but its still being condescending. And then there's this bit, "Is that clear enough? Or do you need new glasses" Again, you say you're "just kidding" but I'm finding that hard to believe at this point.

Not agreeing with someone is fine, but do you really need to come off like such an arse in the process.

Anyways, as others have said, its not the tire diameter that changes, only the rim so it should not have any bearing on the gearing.
 
Perhaps since the game calls the inner portion a "wheel", we can agree on that terminology?

There was a bunch more....but I was on the wrong thread.

How are wings not causing a change in PP this time around?
 
Last edited:
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. You get upset with him for what you think his him talking to you in a condescending way, but yet you do the same to him here, "but your logic is greatly flawed my friend. Not just in this thread, but in the SRF one as well." You try to preface it with the age old, "I really don't want to come across as rude" bit, but its still being condescending. And then there's this bit, "Is that clear enough? Or do you need new glasses" Again, you say you're "just kidding" but I'm finding that hard to believe at this point.

Not agreeing with someone is fine, but do you really need to come off like such an arse in the process.

Anyways, as others have said, its not the tire diameter that changes, only the rim so it should not have any bearing on the gearing.
So how would YOU go about putting it nicely?

Others' research has proved him wrong in both threads, and I was simply trying to say this as nice as I could.

And the "or do you need glasses?" was a joke in response to him saying "you should go back to school," which you kindly omitted from your post.



If YOU don't believe that I'm not trying to be rude, that's on you. I honestly don't mean to be unkind to him. If you can't take my word then I can't help you. I honestly have no poor intentions.
 
Last edited:
Has anyone noticed any difference in the responsiveness of the car with lower profile tyres, like you would in real life?
Tyre wall flex isn't modelled so there will not be a change in responsiveness/feel/ride quality, its purely visual.
 
@GTP_CargoRatt , @KinLM : Just let it be. We've establised the fact that its purely visual now, although it probably was'nt just visual in previous versions of the game. because the rim size did affect gearing then, aswell as grip (tyre width bug etc..) also, now it seems tyre choice affects gearing instead. and as far as the condescending tones go, I dont care, and I think it was a joke from both sides? atleast it was ment as a joke from me.
 
No, the rim is not the tyre. Period. I don't care if some people don't understand the words they use, ignorance does not make something correct.

When I said "entire wheel" I meant the wheel without the tire, not the wheel/tire assembly. A previous poster said that "rim" only refers to the flange on the wheel that holds the tire bead.
 
May I restate/redefine the question a bit? Tires I think are plotted now: Size is no matter, but type affects top speed as well as handling;
Wings: The add-ons in GTAuto have a place in providing some rear downforce and will lower top speed, but don't affect PP yet;
If you remove non-functional removable rear wings (no adjustment provided) does this affect ANYthing? I've yet to determine a difference, in driving or stats for the cars.

I understood you, Awong. I once upon a time sold and installed tires.
 
et_
@GTP_CargoRatt , @KinLM : Just let it be. We've establised the fact that its purely visual now, although it probably was'nt just visual in previous versions of the game. because the rim size did affect gearing then, aswell as grip (tyre width bug etc..) also, now it seems tyre choice affects gearing instead. and as far as the condescending tones go, I dont care, and I think it was a joke from both sides? atleast it was ment as a joke from me.

Yes, I'm perfectly fine at leaving it go, that's why I didn't respond back. Glad to see you got things figured out. 👍
 
Wheel/Rim discussion Rim vs. Wheel

I migh do some testing though I doubt removing a wing would make any difference.

edit- Removing stock wings doesn't affect top speed, or setup menu stats. I don't think it changes handling charecteristics either.

I would say that neither removing wings or changing wheel size has any effect on performance.
 
Last edited:
et_
@GTP_CargoRatt , @KinLM : Just let it be. We've establised the fact that its purely visual now, although it probably was'nt just visual in previous versions of the game. because the rim size did affect gearing then, aswell as grip (tyre width bug etc..) also, now it seems tyre choice affects gearing instead. and as far as the condescending tones go, I dont care, and I think it was a joke from both sides? atleast it was ment as a joke from me.
@GTP_CargoRatt This ^

No hard feelings or anything, mate?
 
et_
@UltimateLurker : I can only speak for myself but... I know the difference and all, but its sometimes difficult to know which terminology to use when english is not your native language. sorry.

Then certainly don't apologize! Your English is a lot better than my (whatever your native language is), I can guarantee that!
 
If you remove non-functional removable rear wings (no adjustment provided) does this affect ANYthing? I've yet to determine a difference, in driving or stats for the cars.
Not that I've seen--in terms of handling or top speed. The change appears to be purely aesthetic. There are also cars with adjustable downforce from the dealership (The FD RX7 SPirit R springs to mind) that retain this adjustability when the wing has been visibly removed.
 
Not that I've seen--in terms of handling or top speed. The change appears to be purely aesthetic. There are also cars with adjustable downforce from the dealership (The FD RX7 SPirit R springs to mind) that retain this adjustability when the wing has been visibly removed.
I love that car so much I never even took it to the spare parts bin to check that :lol:. So changing regular tires to low profile with no handling difference whatsoever and removing wings while retaining function...:odd:....so much for "The Real Driving Simulator". You GO PD!:gtpflag:
 
I love that car so much I never even took it to the spare parts bin to check that :lol:. So changing regular tires to low profile with no handling difference whatsoever and removing wings while retaining function...:odd:....so much for "The Real Driving Simulator". You GO PD!:gtpflag:
It's not "The Real Aftermarket Customization Simulator." ;)
 
Back