When are you planning to buy Xbox Series X and PS5?

• Thread starter GTxForza
  • 180 comments
I'm currently at the point of choosing between a gaming PC instead of a console. I primarily play Forza titled games but there are a few concerns I have. The first being, how much will it cost to get a PC that is capable of running games like these at their max (quality)? Secondly, how many years of performing at this level will I get out of a gaming PC. The last thing I want to do is spend over $1,000 on a gaming PC that won't last as long as the life of a gaming console. Bear in mind I'm still using the original XB1 console I purchased just a few months after release in 2014.

As for PS5, I'm going to pass.

Why would anyone buy a PlayStation?

I can't think of a reason for buying an Xbox to be honest. Any exclusive game will be on the PC. At least with the PS5, most of the exclusives won't be out on the PC that we know of. The only game that will make it to the PC is MLB The Show, but past that, I'm not sure anything has been said about any other game.

I think Xbox games all coming out on PC has changed the landscape quite a lot compared to the previous console generations. I have no intention of buying an Xbox Series X, because I'll just play on PC instead. If you include the cost of Xbox Live Gold on top of the price of the console, over the lifetime of the console there's not much of a price advantage over buying a PC where you have free online play.

So then there's PS5. The only reason for me to buy a PS5 would be GT7, and again the cost of PS+ over the life of the console needs to be factored into the price. PS4 has had a 7 year lifespan, PS+ is £50 a year on the UK store, so that's £350 to add to the price of the console for a fair comparison against PC. It would need to offer something really special that doesn't exist on PC for me to pay the price of the console + £350 + game price just to play one game. I have a feeling FM8 will be a lot closer to GT7 in terms of multiplayer racing than FM7 was to GTS, so I'll wait and see.

It was just throwing some chum in the water with the PlayStation comment.

I’m only on PC these days but did buy an Xbox one X strictly for RDR2 due to the delayed release on PC. I really like the Xbox UI and general layout.

I had a X1X, mainly as a blu ray player. I thought the whole UI was a complete mess. PS4 has a pretty simple layout, but i guess some might call it boring. I did look around for exclusives but nothing really caught my eye bar FM7, which I (probably) should have looked in to more, I didn't really realise it was quite so arcade, but the free cars every so often and some of the other features were good.

Ultimately you're just better off picking whichever your mates have if only buying one.

I have to admit, given the way the x86 twins have been heading, and now with the PS5 sticking one foot in all-digital distribution, I have been thinking more about aiming for higher specs with my next laptop, maybe instead of a PS5.

I would rather not, because I remain terrified that if I caved and spent an extraordinary amount of money for a more powerful laptop to play fancy games, I will still be pulling my hair out troubleshooting stupid crap, because that has always been my experience with PC gaming.

However, Sony isn't making it easy with a platform that feels more and more like PC gaming, including extremely large installs (very quickly creating a shortage of space), games launching sorely unfinished, lengthy (necessary) update downloads, always-online games for the purpose of DRM, and a degree of general system instability (plus the sluggishness). All with limited control over your files, unlike on PC.

So, especially if Sony is itching to go all-digital by now...it's really coming down to just exclusives to distinguish a Playstation from a PC. Gran Turismo 7 maybe? Nothing else yet. Unless PS/XB developers get their **** together and the PS5 experience feels more like a console again.

I'm just glad to have the Switch and Nintendo as a bulwark against that crap.

However, Sony isn't making it easy with a platform that feels more and more like PC gaming, including extremely large installs (very quickly creating a shortage of space), games launching sorely unfinished, lengthy (necessary) update downloads, always-online games for the purpose of DRM, and a degree of general system instability (plus the sluggishness). All with limited control over your files, unlike on PC.

So, especially if Sony is itching to go all-digital by now...it's really coming down to just exclusives to distinguish a Playstation from a PC. Gran Turismo 7 maybe? Nothing else yet. Unless PS/XB developers get their **** together and the PS5 experience feels more like a console again.

I'm just glad to have the Switch and Nintendo as a bulwark against that crap.

I remember the days when the game you bought was the game you played.

My plan is PS5 and PC. PC will probably have all the Xbox "exclusives" on it. I've never had a Nintendo system, but I'm curious. Not sure if I can justify having 3 systems, since time is limited.

@ROAD_DOGG33J -- For your case I suppose it depends on if you play or could imagine yourself playing (bigger-than-mobile) games on the go, more than anything else.

It sure is nice to have sturdy physical carts again, and to slot one in, occasionally find there isn't even a day-one update...and within minutes instead of hours, you're playing something at least as polished as 1990s games (not flawless), with DLC and updates as benefits rather than excisions or cover for pushing a deadline. :) Of course there are exceptions, including usual-suspect third party publishers.

I've also become a big indie fan, as they're willing to take risks and support niche genres that have been dead to traditional publishers for like 15-20 years, and the Switch has really taken off as their preferred platform.

Nintendo for Japanese games and indies, with a second, more powerful platform for racing sims (and occasionally other heavy titles), has been ideal for me.

Last edited:
I plan on getting PS5 release day.
For the few reasons of.
A, GT7
B. Rachet and Clank.
C. PS4 has BLOD.

So why put forth in PS4 when I can wait and get PS5.

I'm currently at the point of choosing between a gaming PC instead of a console. I primarily play Forza titled games but there are a few concerns I have. The first being, how much will it cost to get a PC that is capable of running games like these at their max (quality)? Secondly, how many years of performing at this level will I get out of a gaming PC. The last thing I want to do is spend over $1,000 on a gaming PC that won't last as long as the life of a gaming console. Bear in mind I'm still using the original XB1 console I purchased just a few months after release in 2014.

Over time, you would have to start lowering the settings. Like the consoles the graphics quality would be mostly the same over time. The difference would be that the games would become more demanding as they improve and the requirements increase.

I've stretched graphics cards pretty far buying them playing at high settings initially and tapering off to low at the end. I don't really care as much these days. Going from low to medium usually has the most noticeable effect, then it's incremental improvements to go to high and ultra. Honestly I don't notice the differences in high and ultra. The performance impact is usually not worth it. When you're in motion in the game, it's just not that big of a difference.

It's like that ACC video where the guy mentions that at 4k resolution you can see the trail in the mountains way off in the background. Cool maybe for a screengrab, but if I was racing the last thing I would be focusing on is the mountain in the background.

@ROAD_DOGG33J -- For your case I suppose it depends on if you play or could imagine yourself playing (bigger-than-mobile) games on the go, more than anything else.

Not much of a chance for that anymore. Think I'll have to see the game line-up to check if anything peeks my interest enough. There's a good enough amount of content on PS4 and PC. I recently saw the review for Persona 5 on PS4. I want to play it, but I have to shuffle it in my timeline somehow.

I'll probably get Xbox Series X two years after lunch; at such time or after I may also be looking for a new monitor with specs to match (I'll never play regularly on a TV again.)

It seems a long time but I have almost two years on my Xbox One X and I would like to extend its service life; after all, they'll keep releasing games for the base Xbox, until they don't (a two-year window, perhaps.) Also, I have never been an early adopter of anything.

The first being, how much will it cost to get a PC that is capable of running games like these at their max (quality)? Secondly, how many years of performing at this level will I get out of a gaming PC.

Your first question for ultra settings can’t be answered without knowing what resolution your monitor is.
1080, 1440, or 4K?
1440 is the PC sweet spot for graphics/FPS.

Example 2080ti pricing is still all over the place averaging $1200, just for the gpu.

The second question is 3-4 years.

Your first question for ultra settings can’t be answered without knowing what resolution your monitor is.
1080, 1440, or 4K?
1440 is the PC sweet spot for graphics/FPS.

Example 2080ti pricing is still all over the place averaging $1200, just for the gpu.

The second question is 3-4 years.

You just reminded me of another component I need to purchase. So it looks like I'll be going to console route this time around unless I come across some really good deals around Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

SeX, one year after launch.
Will have enough money by then.
Will know if it's reliable.
Might see a drop in price (no idea, would be a bonus)
If not reliable, the wait goes on.

I'll be doing the same for the ps5 as I did with the ps4 pro, putting a pre-order in as soon as it's available to do so.

PS5 will be purchased at launch date, not planning to buy an XSX just as soon as the pre-order pages come up!

This time it will be my last console but I am planning to rearrange my gaming "den" since I am planning to have the PS2/3/4/5 and PSOne Classic all hooked up through two televisions which will allow me to play all consoles at any time.

Of course if the PS5 is backwards compatible fully I will only need the one machine but I will still keep the old consoles on show showing the history of the PlayStation.

PS5 when NBA 2K23 drops (I imagine a big Michael Jordan themed release) or an outstanding boxing and/or wrestling game releases.

As of now I still greatly enjoy my PS4/Switch combo, sprinkled in with some Xbox 360.

I mean, you'd own it so you can do what you want, and they got your money so I'm sure it doesn't matter at that point. Sounds like a win for everyone, especially Microsoft.
An even bigger win for Microsoft would be if they patched a microphone in the vents so it will transmit voice commands such as "xbox! Turn on ps5" I'm sure it could handle that job; can't let all that processing power go to waste.

Back