Where does Gran Turismo Sport stand in the order of racing titles? (on realism and difficulty).

Thanks to a member here who suggested changing to a softer compound for the rear tyre and harder on the front, it changed the entire feeling of the game. Cars no longer over steer like crazy and the physics feel spot on with this set up. Its a band aid affect for now but it just goes to show how much potential GT sport has if they fixed the tyre model. It would rank pretty high up there.

The only thing this is a band-aid for is poor car control, which is all on you. Pro-tip; 600hp race cars oversteer like crazy. You're better off using CSA or something rather than totally nerfing the handling characteristics of the car.

Your racecraft will never improve with this staggered tire nonsense.

PCars 2

biiiiig gap

rFactor 2

gap

Assetto Corsa

Forza

iRacing

GT Sport

It's not pleasant to drive a car that are present in other games compared to this game at all. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Yes, a lot of people did like DC but it just was not for me. As you admit the physics were off and I intensely disliked the lack of real world tracks or even fictional ones that resembled real world ones.

To be honest, going back to DriveClub now is very hard to get used to the physics again. GTS and DC are so different, I can't freely switch between the two. However I played DC for a year and the VR version for another 5 months, it was fun!

Without trying to sound like a "wheel snob" i do not equate realism with a hand controller. To my way of thinking as soon as you use a hand controller you instantly devalue any game back to arcade type game and may as well be playing Ridge Racer or Mario Kart. Sorry, but just my opinion.

Fair enough. For me the realism isn't in the input method. I landed planes with the arrow keys in the 90's :)

The Rally X events were not for me online as I absolute *HATE* being the victim of some <insert swear word of choice here> who's only skill is being the dirtiest driver on the track!

Rally X events are trash, the daily event was fun though. No racing against others, just time trial.

Agreed, GTS career and challenges are so easy. Also, you really should grab yourself a wheel and just see how much more immersive it really is.

I prefer to sit back with a controller, and a VR helmet on.

I have raced for real and rain really isn't that much fun and as such I can never understand why everyone makes such a fuss about it and wants to do it. The funny thing is I actually won some of my best races in the rain. If I ever have a choice in game I always set the weather to full sun, midday and changeability zero. I am more about the racing than watching rainbows ;-) As a side note, I just cannot comprehend the amount of aggravation wet weather would cause in GTS Sport online races. For goodness sake people can't get their braking right in the dry!!!!!!

It's to keep endurance events interesting with changing conditions. I wouldn't want to drive in Forza's static rain, dynamic or forget about it. In DC it was more a "how well do you know the track" as it's more a visual impairment than different physics. I wouldn't mind it in sport mode as long as it's dynamic and different every race.

This why there are so many games to cater for different people's aspirations, styles, abilities and of course likes. You then have PCARS and AC that dumb down the game (no offence meant here) for hand controllers and games like NFS where it was designed around it. GTS does it quite well because it is the only one of these games where I usually cannot tell if an opponent is using a hand controller or not.

It would be a boring old world if we all liked the same things ;-)

Agreed. I'm more into instant fun which sport mode provides. Instead of dynamic weather it has dynamic dirty drivers. Keeps it interesting. ;)

For me, on PS4, Gran Turismo is on top.

I also (tried to) play Project Cars 2 but it’s just too much trouble to get going in it. You need to (re)boot the PS4 in a specific way or else the wheel doesn’t get recognized in game, the whole user interface is messy and sometimes doesn’t make sense, sometimes refuses to do things because you didn’t do something right or in the right order. When I somehow finally made it far enough to actually drive a car, it’s pretty much impossible to keep a car on track for more than 1 corner (all with basic default settings). PC2 just needs soooo much effort put in to it from the start to setup the game, your wheel and the cars it’s just not worth it if you just want to drive/race. Sure the game looks pretty good, the car selection it great and there are tracks in it I absolutely LOVE (classic Spa, Hockenheim, Rouen, Nordschleife). But it’s just too much trouble to get going so I don’t even bother anymore.

With GTsport you can very easily just get in and drive a car in minutes. Most cars might not be at its best with default setup but at least it’s a good point to start from. There are a few cars that are pretty bad to drive in default form, but the majority are pretty good. The menu change from GT6 was a big one but I got used to it quickly.

I also bought F1 2017 recently and to be honest, I only played it 2 or 3 times since. It’s very different from both GTsport and PC2, you can get in to it pretty quickly and once you get used to the physics it’s decent. But I think i’m just too used to GTsport, anything else feels weird. I wanted to love F1 2017 sooo much because i’ve been a F1 fan for over 20 years now and probably only missed watching races 2 or 3 times in those 20 years, and played many F1 games in that time, so I wanted to love F1 2017 so much I had extremely high expectations and it just didn’t meet them. As it’s a F1 specific game you can obviously only drive F1 cars and I’m just too used to being able to choose between various types of cars, it’s weird being ‘locked down’ to just 1 type.

Although difficulty and realism aren’t the same, they do tend to go hand in hand. As more realistic games tend to be more difficult but a difficult game might be just that because a lack of realism.

Nothing beats LFS though.

Of the games I’ve played (all with a wheel):

PC2: difficult to master, closest to sim that I have played on PS4. Proper car and FOV qsettings make it the most realistic by far.

DiRT series: DiRT Rally is fun and can be brutally difficult, but the cars feel like they weigh two ounces and fly through the air like like there’s no gravity on earth. DiRT4 is easier, but the cars feel more grounded. DiRT has decent FOV options and good control options. Better than you may expect.

WRC7: difficult game. The stages are the toughest out there in a Rally game. Cars feel good, but sometimes there’s a certain ‘je ne sais quoi’ about them. Still, the FFB options are solid.

SLRE: probably the best FFB, tire, and suspension model I’ve ever played. The game is as difficult as you want to make it.

GTS: easy to pickup an go, and offline is easy. Tire model is strange. And the non linear throttle kills this game. It also needs more FOV options.

And I agree about the comment about using a controller to determine if a game is ‘sim’ enough, I can’t see how that’s possible.

ac imo takes the cake for me especially with content manager and sol. it gives me old tdu 1 vibes for some reason that i cant put my finger on. Playable with mouse steering there are over trillion mods ranging from bad Forza rips to full on scratch made mods. GT sport is pretty good a lot better than Forza though the physics on GT sport are arguably more realistic and the 3d models are more realistic too. Pc2 is really twitchy if you either use a keyboard or a controller. Never played r3e,rf2 and Iracing

Personally I think GTSport gives a bit more realistic feel than Driveclub. Very enjoyable to play but they should sort out the tiremodel. AC is my reference point on console. I simply like the feedback and feel of the cars. PC2 I find terrible in terms of driving. A floating mess and simply not realistic or intuitive at all. That's my personal opinion.

1) AC
2) SLRE
3) WRC8
4) GT Sport
5) DC

Never had an Xbox. Is Forza really that arcadey?
It depends what you're talking about. If you're talking about being able to adjust fuel mix, BB and TC while you drive, for example, then you can do that in GTS but not Forza, so GTS is more sim for those things. Forza has dynamic weather, so that is more sim than GTS. In terms of how cars drive, if we see the road cars in GTS as being trickier to drive than the race cars, then Forza is shifted a bit in that "trickier" direction. When I first switched from Forza to GTS I did massively better in road car races than Gr races, because the handling of the cars was more familiar to me. I feel that the greater ease of driving of the Gr cars in GTS produces smaller time gaps between the best and the rest, but ultimately doesn't make it any easier to be one of the best. Someone who is 1 second off the pace in GTS might be 2 seconds off the pace in Forza, but that doesn't make one more realistic than the other. I'd say mistakes lose you more time in Forza, making overtaking easier than in GTS, but OTOH you have the slipstream in GTS but not Forza, so GTS is more sim in that respect. So it's a mix depending on which elements you look at.

The cars in Assetto Corsa are probably the ones that feel the realest. But the tracks on iRacing are out of this world. That's something that's bad in GT Sport. The tracks are too smooth, when in reality they're very bumpy and a big part of knowing a track is knowing those bumps, because they affect your braking points, your tire wear and so many things.

Another thing is that I can use the same skills and driving lines that I pick up on iRacing in Assetto Corsa and in PCars 2 (in some cars), while GT Sport feels a bit more gamey and has it's tricks, but that's something that PD went for on purpose, and I like that they did this game this way. You can't make a full on simulator while making it so good on the controller and appealing to so many people. So while GT Sport is not my favourite racing game, I still play it a lot because it's easy to pick up and just race. It shouldn't be compared to AC and iRacing because they're not going for the same thing.

How can anyone make any comparisons to reality/real driving when your input device is a controller? If you’re not using a wheel, or if you don’t drive real cars with a controller, how can you even begin to compare the two?
mouse steering is good. The only problem is the arrow or wasd keys give full 100% throttle. I'm looking to pick up a good wheel soon just for ac.

mouse steering is good. The only problem is the arrow or wasd keys give full 100% throttle. I'm looking to pick up a good wheel soon just for ac.

I wasn’t trying to diminish anyone who uses anything other than a wheel, I’m just saying that for comparisons sake, if your not driving a real car with the same input device as you drive sim cars with, how can one really be in a position to make a proper comparison, or any comparison for that matter.

I wasn’t trying to diminish anyone who uses anything other than a wheel, I’m just saying that for comparisons sake, if your not driving a real car with the same input device as you drive sim cars with, how can one really be in a position to make a proper comparison, or any comparison for that matter.
i just really like ac the car rooster can be bigger than gt's you can rack up as much as 3000 cars in the game. Ranging from a Mini Marcos to a literal SSC Tuatara. I definitely recommend it to anyone who played racing games the game may look hard and boring at first but when you get into it you will not come back.

The cars in Assetto Corsa are probably the ones that feel the realest. But the tracks on iRacing are out of this world. That's something that's bad in GT Sport. The tracks are too smooth, when in reality they're very bumpy and a big part of knowing a track is knowing those bumps, because they affect your braking points, your tire wear and so many things.

That's defenitely a problem with GTS suspension physics, since all tracks are laser scanned. If you watch a replay from cockpit view, you can actually see the car bouncing over every bump.

Last edited:

A FFB wheel is not like steering a real car though. In a real car you typically have servo steering and you feel the forces of the car through the seat rather than through the wheel.

I don’t think the difference between controller types when it comes to realism is that big actually. The biggest difference is probably in immersion, and it could well be that the fact that you are using a wheel makes it feel more realistic than it actually is.

Hmm Dirt Rally. Very immersive pretty decent realism.
Dirt Rally 2 is awesome imo. Better physics than original. Real in the sense that it captures the feel of Rally and the risk reward aspect. Fantastic.
Ac on console, physics pretty good for some cars garbage on others.
It’s good and realistic enough, but racing ai isn’t realistic racing imo. Drives good but it’s not without its probs.
PC2-complete mixed bag on console for me. 911 gt3 is OP. Certain cars are good but others seem unfinished.
I feel it’s more hard to drive than a real car definitely. Realism? Pretty good.
Gt Sport realism gets a very high score from me not so much from physics but because in this game you race other humans. To me this is the best.
After racing humans a few times ALL ai pales in comparison.
I guess I do quite like AC for best realism in terms of physics for road course racing.
Dr2 I can’t fault. Love it all.
I kinda put AC and PC2 together as physics wise more challenging than GTS just to drive.
But GTS is more real if you are just driving
GTS is very challenging to be fast.
So, for all these games if you factor all aspects together for me they sort of all tie for diff reasons.
I pretty much shelved PC2 even tho it has some content I like, because I want to race HUMANS when convenient.
Ac will probably get the axe next.
Dr2 I run some dailies everyday almost and GTS I play most.
I’d probably play PC2 much more if you could take its appearance/sound with GTS lighting so the sides of the track don’t flicker unrealistically. I like the raw look pc2 was going for but they need PD to help on lighting, and inject AC physics and ffb with GTS online and below limit approachability and just eliminate the unfinished cars that aren’t worth using.
Overall well I call it a draw.
I agree also about controllers. When you drive to work with ds4 that’s one thing lol.
The resolution quality and precision of inputs you can do with wheel pedals means imo you can test physics much more accurately.
Plus in gts on ds4 the game has background assists on ds4 to make things easier that can’t be turned off.
Just look at telemetry in any online race. Pad user gets away with murder lol.
I like it though because I am competing against another skilled human.
That trumps ai

Last edited:
Can't believe so many are rating Project Cars high on their list. The cars behave like no physical object in this universe ever, the whole thing is a scam using the awful NFS Shift engine as a base.
I have no experience racing real cars but I can tell when physics are crap.
Dirt Rally is also pretty bad, I bought it because of a discount but it sucks.
my list
LFS
RFactor
AC
RBR
GT
**** the rest

Can't believe so many are rating Project Cars high on their list. The cars behave like no physical object in this universe ever, the whole thing is a scam using the awful NFS Shift engine as a base.
I have no experience racing real cars but I can tell when physics are crap.
Dirt Rally is also pretty bad, I bought it because of a discount but it sucks.
my list
LFS
RFactor
AC
RBR
GT
**** the rest
the cars in project cars feel really twitchy just like in the older shift games.

The thing with GT Sport though, it still doesn't implement turbo lag properly. So in that sense, it's only fair to say that it doesn't sound like a real driving simulator but then again, there are better aspects in the game which make it look better than other similar titles out there.

This got me thinking where does GTS stand in order of realism, difficulty of play (as 2 different examples) etc. For example, AC and PCars and DiRT Rally would be considered to be more realistic that GTS and Forza 7, nfs less real than GT.
Any other ideas about this? Doesn't just have to be about circuit racing.

TRY AND MAKE IT UNBIASED IN NOT HATING ON GAMES YOU DON'T LIKE.
The reason i believe is pd cares their games and keep supporting them. Its 2 years since launch and we still get free updates.

Being a controller user, it's difficult for me to rank how GT Sport compares against other racing games. Many people have said that Assetto Corsa does have a very good simulation model, but to me it felt like crap. I will say that Dirt Rally 2 does have a good physics model but it's extremely challenging to master. Project Cars 2 does have a superior simulation model to GT Sport but it can be frustrating for me to play properly. I need to tune some vehicles quite extensively in order to make them driveable. Not many are easy for me to handle out of the box. So if I'm ranking the games based on my experiences, I would say:
GT Sport
Project Cars 2
Dirt Rally 2
F1 2019
Assetto Corsa

However a ranking based purely on physics would be:
Project Cars 2
Assetto Corsa
Dirt Rally 2
GT Sport
Forza
F1 2019
Every other racing game (Grid, DriveClub, Need for Speed, Forza Horizon)

Being a controller user, it's difficult for me to rank how GT Sport compares against other racing games. Many people have said that Assetto Corsa does have a very good simulation model, but to me it felt like crap. I will say that Dirt Rally 2 does have a good physics model but it's extremely challenging to master. Project Cars 2 does have a superior simulation model to GT Sport but it can be frustrating for me to play properly. I need to tune some vehicles quite extensively in order to make them driveable. Not many are easy for me to handle out of the box. So if I'm ranking the games based on my experiences, I would say:
GT Sport
Project Cars 2
Dirt Rally 2
F1 2019
Assetto Corsa

However a ranking based purely on physics would be:
Project Cars 2
Assetto Corsa
Dirt Rally 2
GT Sport
Forza
F1 2019
Every other racing game (Grid, DriveClub, Need for Speed, Forza Horizon)
Nice Post, not often people take the time to consider it from two perspectives.

My own view, based on real world experience and quite a lot of analysis is :

Track Based.
AC
Project Cars 2
GTS
F1 20xx
Driveclub
Grid

Rally.
SLRE
WRC8
Dirt Rally 2
Dakar 18
Baja Edge of Control
V Rally 4
Gravel

Rally.
SLRE
WRC8
Dirt Rally 2
Dakar 18
Baja Edge of Control
V Rally 4
Gravel
I don't have DR2 but I do have DR so I know what it lacks but could you say what it is about SLRE and WRC8 that they do better?

Latest Posts

Back