Where have you been having your fun?

• Thread starter crowhop
  • 544 comments
Agree with @slthree , it is THE greatest PS4 racing game ever, and I'm not saying anything about the PS5 because I don't have one
I've been playing a lot of GT7, but ONLY because I have the PSVR 2

Out of sheer boredom and looking for something new, I took a chance on VR racing. Turns out, it's spectacular

However, I had stopped playing GT7 (for quite a while) before the purchase.

PC2 is STILL the best racer on console, ANY console. That is just my humble opinion.

It's possible the new Forza Motorsport game challenges that. At least, I hope so.

Last edited:
Good to see there's still a little discussion going on in the PC2 thread. The game is still worthy of it. 👍

With all those cars (from old to modern), all those tracks and variations (again from old to modern), multiple classes from karts (and kart tracks) to LMP1s, PC2 has got a bit of everything. There's even a selection of Rally X cars and tracks - even some ice tracks! Then of course there's a decent physics engine which is coupled to Livetrack with all it's weather/time of day/seasonal track condition magic, I'd say PC2 is the best overall motorsports simulator on console. Both old gen and currently (not quite so) new gen. There's nothing to beat it - yet.

Perhaps controversially I'd say the best racing game is PC3. For me it takes the essence of what makes PC2 great (cars, tracks, Livetrack etc) and distills it down to a pure racing title. If I want to just race it's the one I choose. If I want to get more involved I pick PC2.
(And if I want to just focus on GT type cars I pick ACC -on PS5)

the Caterham track day cars... and was having a nightmare with those
Ah yes the SP/300 R. If I remember correctly you grew to enjoy that car. 😉

Good to see there's still a little discussion going on in the PC2 thread. The game is still worthy of it. 👍

With all those cars (from old to modern), all those tracks and variations (again from old to modern), multiple classes from karts (and kart tracks) to LMP1s, PC2 has got a bit of everything. There's even a selection of Rally X cars and tracks - even some ice tracks! Then of course there's a decent physics engine which is coupled to Livetrack with all it's weather/time of day/seasonal track condition magic, I'd say PC2 is the best overall motorsports simulator on console. Both old gen and currently (not quite so) new gen. There's nothing to beat it - yet.

Perhaps controversially I'd say the best racing game is PC3. For me it takes the essence of what makes PC2 great (cars, tracks, Livetrack etc) and distills it down to a pure racing title. If I want to just race it's the one I choose. If I want to get more involved I pick PC2.

TBH I really enjoy PC3 as well and to me it works well when I just want to race and not worry about anything like fuel or keeping my tires the right temperature. No pit strategy just racing. I also enjoy the livery editor in the game and I absolutely love that I can create a livery save it and apply it to any car.

Last edited:
kjb
I absolutely love that I can create a livery save it and apply it to any car.
That is a neat feature. You can create a "Team" livery and apply it with just a few clicks to any car you "own". It would have been useful for online leagues etc.
There's a lot going for the PC3 but it wasn't given much of a chance, even by the developers, to take off.

Doing my own Real Circuit Tours Endurance Series. 150 mile races around the world. LMP1/2/3 and GTE cars with time and weather. Starting with Monza, and probably will use a spinning wheel to randomize my next track.

Just completer the Caterham championship and had an absolute blast with it. Very lively car and after the Formula Rookies it felt like a rocketship. With some minor tweaks to the differential you can make it a lot more manageable btw.

That is a neat feature. You can create a "Team" livery and apply it with just a few clicks to any car you "own". It would have been useful for online leagues etc.
There's a lot going for the PC3 but it wasn't given much of a chance, even by the developers, to take off.
I never tried PC3. I'm open to it but still have enough driving games with PC2, ACC, DR2.0 and F1 games..
Oh and some Snowrunner every now and then XD

Everywhere using everything all over again since picking up a ts-xw (£38), I enjoy this game with a controller (you guys know this) & using my old tx was fun but using this ts-xw (£38) is another story. 6.2nm of torque & a 40w motor compared to 3.9nm & a 20w motor. So much more fidelity, detail, smoothness & strength with no centre deadzone (£38). PC2 was definitely made with stronger wheels in mind, I wonder what the dd users must feel. Oh did I mention, I only paid £38 :)

I don't think you mentioned it, but how much did you pay for the TS-XW?

I wonder what the dd users must feel
Well... I've now got a Logi Pro wheel and that goes up to 11Nm. But I don't use anywhere near that in PC2. The problem is PC2 sees it as a G29 and, I think, still sends relevant information for that wheel - including centering forces. So I've still got a dead zone only it's harder to move out of it if the settings are high. The rest of the forces can be a very abrupt too. I've toned it down a lot so it's a bit like a slightly stronger G29 now. Slightly disappointed really and I haven't been using PC2 quite as much. Strangely it's improved PC3 considerably, the Trueforce has an effect. Other games I have are also fine.

PC2 on other DD wheels might be okay because it'll probably 'see them' differently.

I don't think you mentioned it, but how much did you pay for the TS-XW?

Well... I've now got a Logi Pro wheel and that goes up to 11Nm. But I don't use anywhere near that in PC2. The problem is PC2 sees it as a G29 and, I think, still sends relevant information for that wheel - including centering forces. So I've still got a dead zone only it's harder to move out of it if the settings are high. The rest of the forces can be a very abrupt too. I've toned it down a lot so it's a bit like a slightly stronger G29 now. Slightly disappointed really and I haven't been using PC2 quite as much. Strangely it's improved PC3 considerably, the Trueforce has an effect. Other games I have are also fine.

PC2 on other DD wheels might be okay because it'll probably 'see them' differently.
That's not good to hear mate, who's to blame for the dd not being recognised, slightly mad/sony or logitech? I presume there's no such issues on a PC as we've all seen various youtube'ers using custom dd wheels on PC2.

Last edited:
who's to blame for the dd not being recognised,
Each game has to have the wheel makers SDK and drivers, the consoles don't have them. So I suppose it's down to SMS, but it's such an old game now it's also really not their fault. Logitech weren't known for their DD wheels at that time. I don't think we'll be getting any updates to support new wheels anytime soon. 🙂

On the later PC3 the game natively supports the newer G923 and it outputs Trueforce data instead of the normal direct input data that other wheels use. This seems a better match for the Pro.

I had a online race around Sakkito in the BMW touring car this evening and after a couple of tweaks it wasn't too bad. Mind you the 320 is a nice car to drive anyway.

Doing the prototype C championship now. Unfortunstely because of the Nissan GTP its a bit broken so I'm mostly battling my teammate. Still a very cool class to drive. I might even consider replaying this championship with one of the other cars.

GT3 seems to be the most popular racing discipline in sims these days and I like it too (especially the Corvette in real life as that thing sounds mental) but for me personally I allways like these turbomonsters from the 70s untill 90s best. Really keeps you on the edge of your seat when that turbo suddenly kicks in and unleashes 800hp!

Interesting thing happened yesterday. Did a 20 lap race with the GTP ZX Turbo, I took fuel for 22 laps with me and I ended up running 1 lap short.. so somehow I consumed approx 4 laps or 15% more fuel than planned. Anyone else had this happen?

I did notice my top speed being a bit higher than during practice sessions, probably because the temperature was a bit higher than anticipated and the tyre pressures increasing a bit. But this was effect was marginal, say ~0.3-0.5 bar. And higher pressure means less rolling resistance allthough the rpm's increased a bit too.

I suppose having to negotiate other cars on the track could maybe add to your fuel usage. Although slipstreaming should in theory reduce it. I think the fuel/laps guide is only an approximation. Always best to add a bit more than recommended.

I always spend more fuel than what my engineer tells me I'm supposed to. Then again, it also happens in real life, I always arrive sooner and with less fuel than what both my car nav-system and my wife tell me should be the case :P

My guess is that PCars2 is - also - always right :dopey:

Last edited:
All depends how you race, high revs, changing up gear to late, changing down gear to quickly, to much engine braking + a few other cars setup bits all use more fuel.

Rule of thumb, always add a couple of laps worth of fuel.

Edit, noticed you said you done that already, your obviously driving to fast man, slow down :)

Last edited:
Yeah I added 2 laps extra fuel so was really suprised to run short. The GTP ZX does have a weird power band and the gear indicator light comes on pretty soon so I often change gear later than indicated. I dont know.. I just restarted the race with 10 laps instead of 20.. :)

Doing the prototype C championship now. Unfortunstely because of the Nissan GTP its a bit broken so I'm mostly battling my teammate. Still a very cool class to drive. I might even consider replaying this championship with one of the other cars.

GT3 seems to be the most popular racing discipline in sims these days and I like it too (especially the Corvette in real life as that thing sounds mental) but for me personally I allways like these turbomonsters from the 70s untill 90s best. Really keeps you on the edge of your seat when that turbo suddenly kicks in and unleashes 800hp!

Yeah, I took the Jaguar in that series, those Nissan's I tell you...

Picking a favourite class in PC2 is tough as there's so many great cars and classes but Group C makes a compelling case for itself and would be at the top of my list for sure, in a how many way tie changes from day to day.

I also use way more fuel than the game says I'm going to need, class dependent of course as to how much more.

I was inspired here ad and started a new career in Group C class I chose the Sauber but I went to American series with two tracks I don't like in the Daytona & Indy road courses. I am debating about starting over and going to Europe where I like all three tracks or staying out and forcing myself to learn those tracks. I do love Watkins Glen though

kjb
I was inspired here ad and started a new career in Group C class I chose the Sauber but I went to American series with two tracks I don't like in the Daytona & Indy road courses. I am debating about starting over and going to Europe where I like all three tracks or staying out and forcing myself to learn those tracks. I do love Watkins Glen though
Tough call, but the cars are well suited to Daytona and the IMS road course has a nice flow to it once you get the knack of it. Why not run both?

To elaborate a bit on the IMS road course (because i know a lot of people hate it), it's not a place anyone really wants to spend a ton of time hotlapping, but in a race situation, and especially with powerful cars like the Group C's, there's quite a few passing opportunities and the track is pretty wide for the most part, so you can get into some really good battles on it, sometimes over multiple laps. So yeah, I'd race there any day of the week, car depending. There's good driving roads and good racing tracks- this is the latter.

kjb
I chose the American championship because I'm allready so familiair with the European tracks (allthough holy cow what a fantastic track list that championship has). And I must say, like r_outsider allready said, the group C cars are very well suited to those tracks! Had a lot of fun on all of them and I'm not a big fan of ovals.

I completed the championship with the Nissan GTP but I'm restarting it with the Sauber and going for the European tracks this time because I dont want to miss out on Monza and Le Mans with these cars :)

Oh and first I'm running a 24h race on Spa (not in realtime..) in the Sauber as well, as I'm inspired by the recent race there!

Yeah, I took the Jaguar in that series, those Nissan's I tell you...

Picking a favourite class in PC2 is tough as there's so many great cars and classes but Group C makes a compelling case for itself and would be at the top of my list for sure, in a how many way tie changes from day to day.

I also use way more fuel than the game says I'm going to need, class dependent of course as to how much more.
I test drove all the group C cars to determine which car I shall run with next. That sound of the XJ is insane! I went with the Sauber though, I had some trouble with braking in the XJ for some reason. Maybe some setup work could change that but I didnt bother, I like the Sauber a lot as well. Maybe I'll go for another championship in the XJ though XD

Back