Where is the customization?

As a former mechanic it at a garage that ran rally cars it really irks me how PD could just foolishly leave this stuff out, I don't know if Dr Kaz is the one who solely calls all the shots but one would think with his racing experience he would atleast have some understanding of both visual upgrades and those hidden in the bowels of an engine, Leaving them out the way they have just shows how barebones GTSport really is.

Question: Is rally, generally, a homologated sport? Just curious...

Well they have scrutineering to check that everything is within the rules so yes in that regard.
Ahh, "within the rules". So would it be, generally, within the rules, in a homologated series, for motorsport teams to start strapping on bigger turbos, better exhausts, chopping away bits of the car for weight reduction and so on? Do motorsport teams mess about changing bodykits through a season because they're "bored of this one"?

I wonder if there is a reason why I've put the word Sport in bold?

Quite simply put. GTS is not a full fat GT game. Is focused on esports and online racing with some single player aspects. Tuning is also limited more towards lobbies and single player modes. Would expect more cusomization options in the next full fat GT game. Just not the ridiculous amount of customizations the likes of NFS gives you

Ahh, "within the rules". So would it be, generally, within the rules, in a homologated series, for motorsport teams to start strapping on bigger turbos, better exhausts, chopping away bits of the car for weight reduction and so on? Do motorsport teams mess about changing bodykits through a season because they're "bored of this one"?

I wonder if there is a reason why I've put the word Sport in bold?

Have you seen Formula 1? They change wings throughout the season, Infact I'm sure you could with enough searching find out what they are allowed to change and upgrade throughout the season, I wonder why you think you're clever. :rolleyes:

Quite simply put. GTS is not a full fat GT game. Is focused on esports and online racing with some single player aspects. Tuning is also limited more towards lobbies and single player modes. Would expect more cusomization options in the next full fat GT game. Just not the ridiculous amount of customizations the likes of NFS gives you
Dunno, PD have been clever with this livery editor. Above and beyond what I was thinking we'd get. Could be the same in the next GT.

Dunno, PD have been clever with this livery editor. Above and beyond what I was thinking we'd get. Could be the same in the next GT.

Livery creator is definitely here to stay. Seems people just make liveries and dont race, looking at all the DR E Japanese players who make liveries.

I'm fine with the lack of customization apart from one thing: Lack of Upgradable Brakes. Having an insane car stripped of weight with increased power just isn't viable because the braking is terrible and you have to brake 500 meters before the corner.

I'm fine with the lack of customization apart from one thing: Lack of Upgradable Brakes. Having an insane car stripped of weight with increased power just isn't viable because the braking is terrible and you have to brake 500 meters before the corner.
Tighter suspension settings are what I need. The E30 when tuned, should behave like the Gr.4 cars, in terms of suspension movement.

Edit: @Crazybutt198 I meant to add: "should be the same with 'Customization'". PD might surprise us with some serious, in depth customization, for the next game. Remember, KAz said we may be able to build our own cars in GT6. Then, gave us Andretti's first race car.

Tighter suspension settings are what I need. The E30 when tuned, should behave like the Gr.4 cars, in terms of suspension movement.
I agree about suspension. I dropped the Alfa MiTo as far as it goes and stiffened the springs to the maximum setting. In the replays the car still has ground clearance for days and dips and leans like a boat when braking.

Have you seen Formula 1? They change wings throughout the season, Infact I'm sure you could with enough searching find out what they are allowed to change and upgrade throughout the season, I wonder why you think you're clever. :rolleyes:
F1 don't really substantially change the form of the wings though, its always teeny-tiny little details, a tiny little winglet here, a different vane there. Their "style" remains pretty much the same throughout the entire season. But thats not what people are generally on about for GTS; I've not once seen anyone referencing wings with a view to gaining a few tenths here and there. They never worked like that in previous GT games anyway, their only function was cosmetic. That is not what GT SPORT is about.

Look at the Audis of Belgian Audi Club WRT and Team WRT in the Blancpain GT Series, the cars are virtually indentical, they don't mess about with different wings and body kits just so they look different. They're the same cars, just painted different (oooh, guess why we've now got a livery editor?!). Yes, like every other car on the grid they will have different suspension settings and transmission ratios, etc, the point is its homologated and the cars are pretty much as they are.

Failure to understand this is why you fail to comprehend the SPORT part of Gran Turismo Sport.

Last edited:
As much as I do not like it...
Customization (higher compression ratios, ported heads, bore'd and stroked blocks/cranks, stages of turbos, etc) really have no place in the BoP'd online "Sport" mode.
All that customization was geared at taking an under performing car, making it a real performer, and entering against "stronger" vehicles driven by the AI in offline "competition". Since this is no longer the focus of PD... makes sense they have dropped it.

F1 don't really substantially change the form of the wings though, its always teeny-tiny little details, a tiny little winglet here, a different vane there. Their "style" remains pretty much the same throughout the entire season.
Not to create argument, but... F1 will have entirely different aero package at Monza then at say Monaco... the wings both front and rear will be substantially different and immediately noticeable to the naked eye. The cars will also have a dedicated steering rack just for Monaco... and will have a very noticeably different ride/roll characteristics... Sure, you may need a set of calipers to note the differences between a setup for Suzuka and NurbGP as those tracks have similar demands, and, so the cars setup nuances are not easily apparent to us simple folks.

Look at the Audis of Belgian Audi Club WRT and Team WRT in the Blancpain GT Series, the cars are virtually indentical, they don't mess about with different wings and body kits just so they look different. They're the same cars, just painted different (oooh, guess why we've now got a livery editor?!). Yes, like every other car on the grid they will have different suspension settings and transmission ratios, etc, the point is its homologated and the cars are pretty much as they are.
100% agree... much stricter regulations on such things, which does translate to GTSport.
I like that you note suspensions/transmissions will be left to the teams to dial in, and wish PD would allow us the same freedom.

Bring back the Racing Modifications from GT2!!!

This was like one of the best features in racing game history!!

Turning a car into a racecar not to mention the racecars did exist in real life and were not fiction at all.

Lets not even get me started on the Mileage exchange
No real customisation
They could add a few visual upgrades to the mileage exchange store, at least for certain cars (R34/33/32, 86, Supra, FD/FC etc). Two birds with one stone: people can have a bit of customization and some life gets injected into the store. Sure, real performance upgrades would be more than welcome, but I guess those will be only featured in more traditional GTs in the future..

Not to create argument, but... F1 will have entirely different aero package at Monza then at say Monaco... the wings both front and rear will be substantially different and immediately noticeable to the naked eye. The cars will also have a dedicated steering rack just for Monaco... and will have a very noticeably different ride/roll characteristics... Sure, you may need a set of calipers to note the differences between a setup for Suzuka and NurbGP as those tracks have similar demands, and, so the cars setup nuances are not easily apparent to us simple folks.

While I essentially agree I think we have a slightly different interpretations of substantial; all but the most ardent F1 fan would be hard pushed to tell the difference between any of the wings without looking at photos or getting up close to the cars while stationary. Heck, I'm a lifelong F1 fan, I've seen the races at Monaco, Singapore and Abu Dhabi three years in a row, and even I'd struggle to spot the differences with the cars flying past. But anyway, thats slightly off topic :lol:

If we use the cars in the Blancpain GT series as an example the choice of wing you get from the manufacturer (to both works and independent teams) is the one thats on the car when its delivered. Teams don't (and can't) change them for looks (because its a homologated series), the design thats on the car at the start of the season is the same design that the car ends the season with. This is the reasoning behind there being no cosmetic customisations in GT Sport, the car that is "delivered" is the the same for everybody that uses it. The people who decry the lack of visual customisation, beyond the livery, in GT Sport are entirely missing the point of GT Sport.

I like that you note suspensions/transmissions will be left to the teams to dial in, and wish PD would allow us the same freedom.
I presume you're talking about the Sport mode side of things. Unfortunately I never venture there because I, personally, don't see the point of the daily races; if I just want race and have a bit of fun finding a online room is much quicker and there is less waiting around. Thats not to say they shouldn't be there, other people obviously like them, they're just not my cup of tea. The (at this point) FIA test seasons quite appeal to me, as they're not one shot deals, but sadly I can't invest in them because I never know when or where (in the world) I'm going to be sent for work (I once got sent to the US for 8 weeks with 4 hours notice! :lol:).

However you are absolutely right. It is quite bizarre for PD to have restricted changes to transmission and suspension. Not everyone has the same driving style. The best, and most extreme, examples would be Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton. Put both of them in a cars that are set up for the other and neither would be as quick as they would be with their own setups. Back in GTS some people will be able to adapt to a stock setup better than others and this creates an unfair advantage which is the antithesis of homologated BoP racing; apart from talent no-one should have a significantly unequal advantage. I guess PD have their reasons but it would be nice if they communicated their thoughts a little more often.

They have done a reverse RM with the Gr.3 Road Cars. It's just, they haven't done it to every race car. If we got those cars in stages.
- Gr.4 M4 with wing delete, but keeps the roll cage, race interior
- Gr.4 M4 wing/roll cage delete, but keeps competition suspension, wheels and racing steering wheel

I feel it'd be more of a reward or collectable.

I agree on the lack of performance upgrade parts like brakes etc. as per previous GT’s but as for wings etc. while I do miss them it doesn't bother me that much to be honest.

I assume it may have something to do with the livery editor maybe? Like if you put a bigger wing on a GT-R say, and want to put a decal on the end plate. You then want to change the wing to a smaller or lower wing - what happens to the decal? You could, I guess have it so that if you change a component (like a wing) that has a decal on it, then that decal gets deleted and has to be reapplied to the new components?

Just my 2cents!

Whether customization gets added in Sport or the next GT, Kaz should seriously think about excelling in the customization, tuning, and performance aspect of the game. Forza has always been ahead in this department, and now need for speed. Instead of being behind and one step back PD should think about what they could do that forza or need for speed hasn't done. For example, being able to paint tyres just as an example. Maybe need for speed has a underbody kit lighting. Even GTA has more customization than a driving simulator. They need to think out the box and excel over their competitors while at the same time giving us the same features as those games. Forza allows you to properly choose between a 15", 16", 17", 18" or 20" or 21" wheel. Forza also allows you to widen the tyre width. The GT6 at least allowed us to paint brake calipers, so why not make any part of the car paintable which makes it even more unique. In Euro Truck Simulator you can go into detail on the trucks wheels big time. I hope PD has something new and fresh in store for customzation on the next game. Like being able to tint lights, windows, removing mirrors. Add headlight lips or eyebrows. Aswell as having a nice big list of past and present bodykits.

being able to paint tyres just as an example

th.jpg

Umm. Personally I think that wouldn't fit. Crap on GT for being unrealistic as much as you want, but it's close enough to reality that it would just look out of place. I really disagree with the idea of anything being paintable. In GT Sport, I'm cringing enough at some people's cars already.

I know what you mean, and I sympathise with more interesting ideas, but some things are better left unpainted.

View attachment 728187

Umm. Personally I think that wouldn't fit. Crap on GT for being unrealistic as much as you want, but it's close enough to reality that it would just look out of place. I really disagree with the idea of anything being paintable. In GT Sport, I'm cringing enough at some people's cars already.

I know what you mean, and I sympathise with more interesting ideas, but some things are better left unpainted.

People paint their tyres in professional drifting which people also like to do on GT since GT1.

But yes other than that i understand what you are saying. But that is how the customization community is in real life.

You see outrageous pieces of art. Other than in depth customization and tuning, i would hope that PD add a proper speed test or drag racing in the next game.

I can't say I've ever seen that in Formula D or the D1GP, correct me if I'm wrong.

Your right. I meant the outside bit or for coloured tyre smoke for drift or drag cars. That would be awesome and probably do able.

toyota-gt86-eco-explorer-rear-angle.jpg
IMG_0131_1F0e_2.jpg
$_75.JPG

Last edited:
Whether customization gets added in Sport or the next GT, Kaz should seriously think about excelling in the customization, tuning, and performance aspect of the game.
This is Gran Turismo SPORT.
Forza has always been ahead in this department, and now need for speed.
This is not either of those games, it isn't even a regular Gran Turismo, its Gran Turismo SPORT.
Instead of being behind and one step back
As opposed to what, being behind and one step ahead or being ahead and one step behind?
PD should think about what they could do that forza or need for speed hasn't done.
Have Forza or Need for Speed had a version heavily based on homologated racing? I must have missed that!
For example, being able to paint tyres just as an example
No. Just no.
Maybe need for speed has a underbody kit lighting.
racing_car_on_track_-_Google_Search_-_2018-04-08_06.16.21.png
Look at all the underbody lighting in motorsport. Oh, no, wait. The opposite of that.
Even GTA has more customization than a driving simulator.
GTA is, arguably, a 1st/3rd person lifestyle simulator. GTS is a largely homologated class-based motorsport simulator.
They need to think out the box and excel over their competitors while at the same time giving us the same features as those games.
You want to be able to rob banks, kill pedestrians, and steal helicopters, planes and tanks?
Forza allows you to properly choose between a 15", 16", 17", 18" or 20" or 21" wheel. Forza also allows you to widen the tyre width.
You're really struggling with the concept of homologated, aren't you?
homologated_-_Google_Search_-_2018-04-08_06.27.54.png
The GT6 at least allowed us to paint brake calipers
This isn't GT6.
so why not make any part of the car paintable which makes it even more unique.
You mean like the body, hood/bonnet, mirrors, aero, wing and wheels? Thats a brilliant idea!
In Euro Truck Simulator you can go into detail on the trucks wheels big time.
Cutting the sarcasm for a second, racing trucks in GT would be the dogs danglies! That is one thing I'm insanely jealous of Forza for!

Okay, normal service is being resumed...
I hope PD has something new and fresh in store for customzation on the next game. Like being able to tint lights, windows, removing mirrors. Add headlight lips or eyebrows. Aswell as having a nice big list of past and present bodykits.
Nothing says racing quite like a Halfords ram-raided chav chariot.
54f5046a05fe.jpg

Back