Which book are you currently reading?

I just finished reading The Power of Habit. Are all books this dumb? It was recommended by so many people to help me. I think the entire self-help genre is a bunch of self-evident bloviating to people that are mental midgets.

It's been a long time since I've read a Star Wars book, but Aftermath seems to be pretty good even though it has extreme ADD with it's story telling. Even couple of pages it jumps to a new scene somewhere, once I got used to it though it's not bad.

Star_Wars_Aftermath_Cover.jpg

Finished The Martian not even a half hour ago, and I have to say, it's one of the best books I've read in quite a long time. The beginning took a bit to get moving, but once I got into it enough, I couldn't put it down! From a technological standpoint, the book has some great ideas for future spacetravel; had a few things in it that made you sit and think about them. Feels a lot like an updated twist on Apollo 13, in terms of survival. It's just...a really great read! Would definetly recomend it if you're into space and science-fiction.

Time to watch the movie, but I'll save that for the movies thread.

The Red Dragon - Thomas Harris

red_dragon.jpg

I've never see any of the Hannibal movies or read the books so I wasn't sure what to expect. It was a very good read with an interesting plot and very well developed characters. I look forward to reading the other books in the series and (finally) watching the films.

The Godfather - Mario Puzo

71zypXxMynL.jpg

I'm a huge fan of the film so I knew what was going to happen more or less. I will say this may be one of the few instances where the movie was better than the book as it seems like there was quite a bit of story that really had no impact on the main narrative.

You were asking for it.

I'm reading "How to Avoid Self-Help Books" (It's by I.M. Omnis.)

Okay, I'm obviously kidding. :dopey:

@Northstar - you finally got to The Passage. 👍
I reviewed it earlier - same result as you - must read the sequels. 👍

As I noted some time ago I had given up on finding good fiction; same old stuff was being churned out, active voice and all.

But Stephen King keeps recommending books, and I take him as a fairly good critic - so when he says something is good I am usually tempted to read it.

Anyway, putting King aside for the moment, I had picked up The Book Thief, found the beginning to be slow and ethereal, and put it aside wanting to get back to it later. That evening I got a call from my sister who had just returned from Cuba; she had some goodies for me - among the goodies a bottle of Cuban sand from the beach - err, Cuba, you are losing your beach. She said she bought it - was on sale as a souvenir.
In the course of our conversation she tosses The Kite Runner at me - 'Read this', she says. 'He writes like you.'
A bit miffed at that - since I don't want to write like anyone else, never mind the fact that I'm always challenged to develop different styles - I took the book home and started it.
Couldn't stop till I had put the book down. What an eye-opener.

But all that has really nothing to do with what I'm trying to say - that's all just 'book' stuff.
Because, a few days later, a lady colleague tossed Justin Cronin's The Passage at me. Yes, people keep tossing books at me. I'm a sure target. In any case, I get home, open the book and the very first page blows me away.
Why?
Because in the past week I had been talking about Bill Reynolds and Harper Lee - and both are mentioned in the very first page. A bit creeped out - and remembering what I had read in Frank Joseph's Synchronicity & You, I kept reading and was enthralled. Good book. I'm looking forward to the sequels.

IMG_5245_zpsrpmbxmf6.jpg

As for the synchronicity . . . I'm keeping my eyes open. I've set a watchman. :)

Among a dozen books read since I was last in here was one called counting by 7s - Holly Goldberg Sloan.
One sitting. 4 solid hours. A cupful of tears. A chestful of joy. Some neurons enlightened and activated.
Time well spent.

@Northstar - you finally got to The Passage. 👍
I reviewed it earlier - same result as you - must read the sequels. 👍

I plan on reading The Twelve after 11/22/63 (Just started it) and have City of Mirrors on hold at the library already so hopefully I won't have to wait long once it releases.

10644930.jpg

I thought it started decent, than got really good before completely falling apart at the end.

Pretty much everything after Jake/George saves Kennedy felt very rushed and sloppily done. This was only made worse by Jake becoming a creepy stalker at the end.

Next up is The Twelve.

This is probably one of my favourite book ever. I can't count how many times I've read and reread it.

I just picked up The Silmarillion for the second time. Last time I read it I was quite young so maybe now that I'm older it'll go down a bit easier.

Currently reading "Jackie Stewart, Winning Is Not Enough" and have Max Mosely's autobiography next. I read a part of it in Octane magazine and had to read the rest of it, so its next after JYS.

Just ordered:

Ulysses by James Joyce
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
The Metamorphosis, In the Penal Colony, and Other Stories by Franz Kafka

This is probably one of my favourite book ever. I can't count how many times I've read and reread it.

Just finished Persig's 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' for the third time - and that's exactly how I feel.

"'Quality' is an event."

Some books are beyond classics, they are treasures of human literature, soaring thoughts captured symbolically in grunts and whispers; words driven by what most makes us human - passion.

Just ordered:

Ulysses by James Joyce
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
The Metamorphosis, In the Penal Colony, and Other Stories by Franz Kafka

Great selection to both read and collect. These are books that broaden perceptions, alter understanding and fill a reader with the sheer joy of both good literature and the wonder of humanity at its most complex.

Right now I'm devouring the March issue of National geographic and learning that a third of the planet's food goes to waste - enough to feed two billion people.
I'm sure the solution wouldn't be profitable. Or else we would have solved the problem by now.

13281368.jpg

I'm rather disappointed with this book considering how good The Passage was. The pacing was pretty bad and unlike The Passage the time jumps were poorly done and confusing. I'm still looking forward to City of Mirrors just to see how the story plays out, but...

I think it will be hard making a whole book about going after one viral even if he is supposedly stronger than every other one combined.

Up next is The Bourne Ultimatum.

Finally got around to starting Bill Bryson's latest book The Road to Little Dribbling which is sort of a follow up to Notes from a Small Island, one of my favorite books. It's pretty enjoyable and is written in the style I've come to expect from Bryson's books.

51%2B0YnhPFSL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I finished 1984 earlier today. It was great. Deep and incredibly well written. I found myself pausing often just to think about the themes, characters, and how the story might develop from there.

My only criticism is really the same as I interpret Orwell's criticism, some of the scenes could have been a little bit more compelling. I didn't feel as uncomfortable as I should have in the more gruesome ones. Orwell would attribute this to his struggle with TB, where he was in a state where most people wouldn't have even been able to write anything, not to mention a book of this caliber.

I finished Kafka's "The Metamorphosis" a few weeks ago. Impeccably well written novella with a compelling set of themes.

Since then, I've been trying to read through Joyce's Ulysses. I've gone through the dreaded chapter 3 by this point. It's beautifully written, though thoroughly confounding at times.

Jonathan Franzen's Freedom. I'm a little late to reading Franzen, but interesting so far, although I keep wanting to argue with him.

By the way, if anyone's looking for ideas, the last novel I read that I found truly brilliant and has stuck with me is Junot Diaz's The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

I finished Kafka's "The Metamorphosis" a few weeks ago. Impeccably well written novella with a compelling set of themes.

Since then, I've been trying to read through Joyce's Ulysses. I've gone through the dreaded chapter 3 by this point. It's beautifully written, though thoroughly confounding at times.

I've read Ulysses several times (have an MA in English Literature) and as much as I love it, I still find some parts difficult, even though my copy is filled with notes and the like. Back when I also found Ulysses Annotated helpful at times.

Back