Which car has the best sound in GT4!?

• Thread starter Quattro
  • 1,129 comments
Samberto
Yes indeed. I avoided the S2000 and NSX in GT3. How things have changed…

Ok, here are a few highly disappointing cases. It’s hard to fathom how PD could go backwards from GT3, yet despite the vast number of vehicles, there is less distinction from car to car in GT4.
-The Shelby Cobra has lost its grumble.
-The DB9 does not sound like the DB7 or Vanquish. (stops me from driving it)
-The V8s in M3 GTR Road and Race cars sound like food processors.
-The RGT now has an added layer of sound that undermines its greatness.
-The CLK LM should have a massive ‘muscle car like’ soundtrack. Thinner than almost all of the LM cars. Artificial sound created by PD without reference to the real thing.
-The Panoz has lost some of the spitting quality in its sound.
-The RUF 3400S now sounds unlike the RGT (despite very similar engine and exhaust system) not really discernable as a flat six.
-The BMW LMR and the Mc F1 GTR should have a shrieking V12. Bland artificial construction.
-The four cylinder Supras (such as Castrol/Denso) have lost their raspy sound. They now sound alike to the MRS race car in GT3.

The list goes on and on…

Its only a game... I hope you didn't get your hopes up...

In some cases I feel GT4 is a step backwards from GT3. I was especially dissapointed with the 2CV, wich doesn't sound at all like it should (and neither drives the way it should for that matter). GT4 is littered with little foibles like that(not just sound related), but it's still a great game wich I enjoy immensely.

Taneras
Its only a game... I hope you didn't get your hopes up...
Hopes up? I think not. The sounds have worsened since the last instalment. As for it being ‘only a game,’ if you are unconcerned about the quality of the sound in GT4…then there is little point you visiting and posting in a thread specifically dedicated to engine sounds in GT4.

Samberto
Hopes up? I think not. The sounds have worsened since the last instalment. As for it being ‘only a game,’ if you are unconcerned about the quality of the sound in GT4…then there is little point you visiting and posting in a thread specifically dedicated to engine sounds in GT4.

it's frustrating that great cars are in the game, but the engine sounds are so far removed from their real life counterparts that it's like a chore to drive them.

to me, sound is just as important as visuals in a racing game. I wish they would get it right for once.

(ones that especially dissapoint me are the american muscle cars and the high-powered race cars. they sound....castrated.

i do agree that some cars sound great, alot of them sound very close to their real counterparsts, but alot of the race cars and american cars dont, and another thing ive noticed: i recentley downloaded a movie clip of the HKS Genki silvia drifting around tsukuba, the engine sound exactley like a tuned skylines GTR's, now i dont know if the real HKS genki uses an RB26 powerplant, ive searched for information regarding engine specs but i cant find anyhthing onit, though 1 GTP member said he was pretty sure it used the sr20 engine.Then also i downloaded a movie clip of The toyota minolta race car, that car also sounds exactly like a tuned skyline GTR , i found that odd seeing that the toyota uses a V8 twin turbo rather that a 2.6 inline. i mean dont get me wrong i love the sound of a tuned GTR but i dont want rare race cars sounding like it, when they most likley dont in real life, i though pd recorded each cars sound effects individualy.

As for the "recorded each car" bit, that's obviously bull****. They recorded a few of the cars.

Don't believe anything sony or PD says about the game. How many things have either Yamauchi or Sony said about GT4? Straight from the horse's mouth we've heard that there would be improved AI (this was what they were saying about GT3 and now they're blathering about it on GT4 despite the fact that nobody agrees with them), online play, drag racing, etc. etc. etc.

Believe it when you see it. Or in the case of engine sounds, when you hear it.

you guys have no taste, all those tuner cars sound like vacuum cleaners, the only good sounding car i've heard so far in the game is is shelby cobra, by the way im really dissapointed in the car sounds in GT4, most of the cars sound the same, theres only a few that differ, just like in GT3

oh and good point Bilgerwater, a sewing maching is another good way of discribing the way the cars sound.

Adam_b24
you guys have no taste, all those tuner cars sound like vacuum cleaners, the only good sounding car i've heard so far in the game is is shelby cobra, by the way im really dissapointed in the car sounds in GT4, most of the cars sound the same, theres only a few that differ, just like in GT3

oh and good point Bilgerwater, a sewing maching is another good way of discribing the way the cars sound.

Actually i did hear that each car was recorded with it's own unique sound, and from what i've heard so far, it is a lot better than GT3. I do agree with you on some points though. The muscle cars need a little more umph and raw power.

what i actually did was transfer the
sound files onto my dell digital jukebox
(mp3 player) and hooked it up to a sub
for extra base. i promise you all they
sound so much better. you can hear
this magnificent howling sound
like humming on the low-end of a
sub its hard to explain its really quite nice
when you do hook it up to a powerful/bassy
sub

Sound was the one thing I hoped they fixed in GT4.... bah, maybe GT5.. Ya know, I'm getting less and less excited for GT4 the more and more I read about it. I'm actually looking forward to Forza and Enthusia more.. :ill:

someone mentioned in another thread about changing the audio output to mono instead of stereo if you are using cheapass tv speakers.

I6-4-eva
someone mentioned in another thread about changing the audio output to mono instead of stereo if you are using cheapass tv speakers.

that's not going to change the audio data that goes along with each car. If it sounds plain wrong, a better speaker setup is not going to rectify it.

having a good system hooked up lets you hear more range and detail at higher clarity (with bass effects from the sub). It won't change crappy engine/exhaust sounds.

:indiff:

a good sound system still improves the engine sounds alot more then you may think, im saying that because my friend recently got his import copy, hes got a HI-FI system hooked up to his ps2, the cars do sound ALOT better then the Audios and movies available for download. :)

Let me be a bit more specific about the 69 vette. It sounds nice in the replays. Probably very similar to what they really sound like if you are in a glider flying fifty feet overhead and listening to one drive around town. In-car, or rather during the race while in the first person grill view, it sounds anemic.

The 440 Charger and 69 Camaro Z/28 sound incredible! The old Shelbys sound great! The Ford GT sounds weak, the 69 Camaro SS sounds terrible, the Cuda 440 sounds fairly quiet, the superbird is middle-of-the-road nice, the Charger hemi super bee sounds fair to middlin', the 454 Chevelle SS is just so-so.

You get the picture? Some of them sound like real muscle cars. Others sound like sedans, and most sound terribly underpowered while racing, and most sound comparatively decent in the replays.

Just downloaded eggheads Audi R8 video, well seems like that car also sounds like a tuned Skyline GTR just like the toyota minolta 89, and the genki silvia, but saying that both the R8 and the minolta have v8 twin turbos.

kinigitt
that's not going to change the audio data that goes along with each car. If it sounds plain wrong, a better speaker setup is not going to rectify it.

having a good system hooked up lets you hear more range and detail at higher clarity (with bass effects from the sub). It won't change crappy engine/exhaust sounds.

:indiff:

Thankyou Knight! The samples have been changed people…often to their detriment. Hence, no system or set-up can fix a CLK LM that was given a blender sample for an engine note. You can turn up the bass/buy a new system, but all you are getting is a blender with greater bass response. For those of you without the game…you will see (actually hear) for yourself soon enough.

Bilgewater
The old Shelbys sound great!
Bizarrely the AC 427 S/C has none of the goodness, despite being essentially the same car.

Chinoz
Subaru Impreza. Boxer goodness baby :)

Well, I'm not too happy with the sound of the Impreza WRX STi, without a sports/racing muffler the sound is ok, but after installing that kind of muffler, there is no boxer sound left....poor + the STi never had a TRACTION SYSTEM in reality, 3 diffs ok, but no electronic system, as well as the old cars etc, there is still a long way to go
untill we have the REAL DRIVING SIMULATOR.......

Taneras
Not trying to flame or anything... But it seems that in every thead like this, there are always 3 or 4 people putting this car down.

Favorite Car Thread:
Fully tuned Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 N1

Best Handleing Car Thread:

Best Sounding Car Thread:

Best Looking Car Thread:

Favorite Turbo Car Thread:

Favorite Import Car Thread:

Favorite Fully tuned Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 N1 Thread:

Favorite Domestic Car Thread:

Dunno how that one got in there? :dunce:

Honestly I use to love skylines, but their over hyped now-a-days. Seems everyone and their brother who's seen F&F and 2F2F are now die-hard skyline fans.

Great car, but 90% of their fan base no know nothing about it. Not saying thats you Max_DC, just the skylines fan base in general.

and it always seems like someone wastes forum space with hater posts like this, who cares if they like skylines and who cares if they dont know the displacement or turbo size, its a car all you need to know is how to drive the damn thing :)

one thing that has always disappointed me about the gt series was the sound of the cars. they never sounded right to me, ESPECIALLY the american v8s. they have always sounded the worst of anything. every time a new one comes out i hope they fix it and sadly they do not. i was also hoping for this game. i guess ill se when i get it. i dont know any of the cars from this one but in gt3 the gt40 race car on the seattle license test was my favorite.

Back