Which driving view are you FASTEST with in GT7?

• Thread starter CustomX
  • 131 comments

Which driving view are you FASTEST with in GT7?

• Cockpit (Flat)

Votes: 27 8.3%
  • Bumper

Votes: 141 43.1%
  • Bonnet

Votes: 78 23.9%
  • Chase

Votes: 60 18.3%
  • Cockpit (PSVR2)

Votes: 21 6.4%

• Total voters
Cockpit for show, Bumper for the Pro. Although lots of Youtubers use Hood/Roof cam which I dont like. I feel a disconnection from the true movements of the car (much like racing in a pair of chucky boots vs socks) so struggle with pace in that view.

Chase cam in GT7 is a letdown as the sounds are so muted.

GT7: bonnet cam

its the change in physics from GTS to 7 that made me switch from bumper cam. on there, i could drive any car at TCS0, without much risk of ever losing control.

pretty much from day one on 7 i've had to use bonnet cam so that i am 100% sure the car is lined up correctly. it is a huge pain to lose the rearview mirror for sport mode, but the alternative is spinning out even with TCS1. some of the AWD gr 4 cars i can switch back to bumper cam / tcs0, but i don't like to qualify in a way i can't race.

Is this really the case? It seems pretty low to me. Like exactly how it would look with a camera mounted on the number plate/bumper....
It might not be exact, and I'm not sure if it's centered or, on the drivers side, but it's definitely not numberplate/bumper.

Take these two cars for example...

1653396649772.png

If it's bumper; The camera will be at the same height, if you park it nose in to a wall, you're view will be the same.

So, lets test that.

This is the difference when looking straight ahead at a wall the car is touching...

As you can see. The Sambabus is higher and much closer to the wall, the 'Vette is lower, and further away.

... if you do the same thing and look left it shows more what the distance is.

Bumper cam is not actually a bumper cam, hasn't been for a while.

Is it???? I don't feel like I'm off center at all and I don't feel a difference in it between Japanese and American cars. Not saying you're wrong but I would be completely shocked.
It’s a central driving position for all cars. Your eyeline height is more akin to a prototype or single-seater. Although as pointed out above there are some differences in height between cars. On the odd occasion I switch to bonnet/hood view, I always feel perched up too high.

Last edited:
Even if I would prefer to only drive from the cockpit, the view on the bonnet is much clearer, especially in Sport mode. That's the best way for me to see what's happening to my right and left.

I used to be cockpit view only but changed after watching so many other people use bonnet/roof cam - took probably less than 15 minutes to get used to it & had noticeably faster lap times, think it's the being able to see the edge of the car in relation to the corner apexes.

Is this really the case? It seems pretty low to me. Like exactly how it would look with a camera mounted on the number plate/bumper....
The speedometer and tachometer represent where you wheels are, the rev bar at the top represents your front bumper. It’s more like engine bay/firewall cam.

1. Cockpit View/Wobble2= Fastest and most consistent
2. Bumper View= Fast and consistent
3. Bonnet View= Fast and consistent
4. Chase Cam= Last time I used it was on Super Nintendo 😅
In conclusion I only use Cockpit View as for me personally it’s the fastest, most immersive and most consistent View.
I‘d say you can be equally fast no matter which View you use.
It’s just a matter of getting used to and comfortable with.

Last edited:
I use bumper unless its a super fast car like GR. 1 and then i prefer chase cam since i can see further ahead down the track.
I'd love to use cockpit view for immersion but it feels like i'm driving from the back seat, i need FOV options.

It might not be exact, and I'm not sure if it's centered or, on the drivers side, but it's definitely not numberplate/bumper.

Take these two cars for example...

View attachment 1153525

If it's bumper; The camera will be at the same height, if you park it nose in to a wall, you're view will be the same.

So, lets test that.

This is the difference when looking straight ahead at a wall the car is touching...

As you can see. The Sambabus is higher and much closer to the wall, the 'Vette is lower, and further away.

... if you do the same thing and look left it shows more what the distance is.

Bumper cam is not actually a bumper cam, hasn't been for a while.
thanks for this, I always thought it was a static low bumper

thanks for this, I always thought it was a static low bumper
No, there's always an area in front of you, where your car is, but you can't see it.

I'd recommend parking your car up against a wall, with the nose, then the left side, and right side touching it, and noting what it lines up with on the HUD. It will vary from car to car (most are pretty similar though).

I had to do this on the cone challenge missions, the car was actually wider than I thought so I was loosing a lot of speed trying to turn enough to get all the cones when I actually didn't need to.

Fastest: Hood cam because of the FOV and no obstructions.
Most immersive: Cockpit, because I have my rig set for it to block the on screen steering wheels.

For SP races, cockpit. For CE where every millisecond counts: Hood cam, but only if I can't seem to get it done in cockpit cam.

Cockpit is just too unrealistic for most people imo.
It's too low for another add to your post. Your eyes are just above the wheel and you can barely see your hood, which... well, who actually drives or races like that in real life?? And with so many cars which I've tried this view in replays, I've found myself staring right at the rear ends of cars, even low ones like Corvettes, as if every sedan is actually a Lotus Elise or Lamborghini and you're sitting just above the road.

This is the main reason I say that every view should be adjustable. PD hand places these views in the game, so give us control of those parameters so we can put them where it suits us best. It would be super if we could save these per car. And if we mess up a view, just give us a handy Default/Reset button. This has been a godsend for me in RaceRoom. Kaz, please, do this.

Last edited:
It's too low for another add to your post. Your eyes are just above the wheel and you can barely see your hood, which... well, who actually drives or races like that in real life?? And with so many cars which I've tried this view in replays, I've found myself staring right at the rear ends of cars, even low ones like Corvettes, as if every sedan is actually a Lotus Elise or Lamborghini and you're sitting just above the road.

This is the main reason I say that every view should be adjustable. PD hand places these views in the game, so give us control of those parameters so we can put them where it suits us best. It would be super if we could save these per car. And if we mess up a view, just give us a handy Default/Reset button. This has been a godsend for me in RaceRoom. Kaz, please, do this.
GT Sport had MUCH more adjustability when it came to cockpit cam. You could almost go through the roof on some cars. Now, 1-5 moves your eyes an inch.

Cockpit always.

I don’t like my eyes on the bumper when going over 100mph. Chase cam reminds me of the first need for speed, good game but no thanks. Hood cam is like you’re standing out of a sunroof looking down and I don’t want to risk becoming Darth Maul at the end of the Phantom Menace.

In car all the way, seems the most realistic. I would like to have just my position, laptimes and radar on, nothing else but they don’t let that kind of customization which sucks. I may start just shutting it all off so I can just drive without all the heads up display crap on the screen.

I try to use Cockpit view for immersion and realism, espcially when first trying out a car, but if I'm going for speed, I find that bumper cam is always the fastest for me. I think I remember reading/seeing that a high % (maybe even 100%) of the top GTS players raced in Bumper cam.
Not 100% because there was at least one finalist that used chase cam and Lewis Hamilton used chase cam lol

Bonnet by a very small fraction followed by cockpit, though it really depends on the car. Some of the interiors obscure so much of the track that I'm forced into bonnet/bumper, but in cars that afford greater view of the circuit it's pretty much a wash. Being American all of the right-side drive/steering configurations throws me off depending on the car.

I'd say cockpit/bonnet/bumper are all pretty equal in terms of potential. Chase cam is a nightmare though... Something about it gives me anxiety as it just seems "off". I can still drive with chase cam in GT3-GT6 just fine but not in GT7.

Last edited:
Bumper if I'm competing. Bonnet/hood/roof for maybe some hot lapping or lite competition however it irks me a bit with the LOD of some cars and the position doesnt seem consistent. Chase for casual play and to see the car. I will only use cockpit with VR as it just feels needlessly restrictive(FOV) on a TV/monitor

Chase cam'. The best way to fully understand your surroundings and place your car in a clean manner to your rivals, vital for online.
As a side note, no ones preferences are wrong. If that's their preference and makes them a better, cleaner and more confident driver then no one should tell another that they are wrong or a certain camera view shouldn't exist. Stop being so narrow minded and elitest!

Back