Which driving view are you FASTEST with in GT7?

• Thread starter CustomX
  • 131 comments

Which driving view are you FASTEST with in GT7?

• Cockpit (Flat)

Votes: 27 8.3%
  • Bumper

Votes: 140 42.9%
  • Bonnet

Votes: 78 23.9%
  • Chase

Votes: 60 18.4%
  • Cockpit (PSVR2)

Votes: 21 6.4%

• Total voters
Germany
Germany
I try to use Cockpit view for immersion and realism, espcially when first trying out a car, but if I'm going for speed, I find that bumper cam is always the fastest for me. I think I remember reading/seeing that a high % (maybe even 100%) of the top GTS players raced in Bumper cam.

Bumper when I am in try-hard mode; cockpit when I am having fun.

Although, the "bonnet" (which is not a term we use in the states; we call it the hood) cam has piqued my interest some. I like being able to see where the sides of the car is. I've not put enough time into it yet to be better than bumper.

I use the cockpit view for fun and immersion, but I have also set some of my fastest times on some license test using it.
When I'm going for a top times or practicing for an autocross or track day I'll swap over to bumper cam. That view allows me to look further ahead and I'm usually about a half second faster on average using that view instead of cockpit view.

Last edited:
Cockpit view just because I've been using it exclusively for 2 years now. But if I gave bumper a few hours (probably an hour now that I think of it), I'd most likely be a half second quicker. Mainly because of being able to identify the braking points better. Although, I find road cars easier to drive in cockpit because you can get a better gauge of he weight transfer.

Can't wait for VR!!!

Roof / hood view. As said before, it gives a good perspective of the road, turns, and where competitors are alongside you. On tracks with sweeping turns or truly obnoxious drivers, I'll sometimes switch to low chase cam for better situational awareness. All views should be adjustable though.

Chase cam. The ability to see the entire car, its relation to the road, cars, apex, curbs, you name it... Is such an advantage. Not to mention the ability to see cars positioning behind you and beside you is huge for online racing.
Too many times I see and hear other guys talking about where they thought their car was, or if someone was next to them, I'd they left room yadda yadda, and all too often they're simply wrong.

Most importantly, I've been playing racing games since I was a kid, and Chase cam (back in my day 😂) was all that existed, so it's so ingrained into my hand\eye coordination by now, that I can't fathom ever changing.

I was always fastest with the cockpit. I really got a feel of a car with it. Well that was until 7 ruined it for the sake of wobbling spastically. Now I just default to hood/roof cam.

Last edited:
I have used hood for as long as I remember, and although it's debatable, it's the closest to a realistic viewpoint for me.

Cockpit doesn't allow your eyes to ignore all the car that's in the way, and there's too much of a learning curve for me to suss out where my corners are when racing, but once VR is available cockpit is for sure the optimal view. Though it does work a lot better for open cockpit/central position cars.

Bumper feels completely unrealistic to me. It sits on the ground and in the middle of the car which doesn't give me any sense of driving a vehicle or the edges of it. I also feel the view is artificially limited by the lowness. It does seem that a large amount of the top drivers use it though.

Chase cam.... nah. I gave that up when GT became a thing, so like, post NFSII... a LONG time ago. Haha. It's fun to play around with every once in a while, but never seriously.

So bumper it is, even though with some cars it feel like you're literally sitting on the roof. I find it to be the best blend of all the aspects of driving a car in a 2D setting.

Bonnet/roof only because the head movement in cockpit view makes the car really hard to drive with it jiggling around all over the place. Faster in GT Sport on cockpit view than anything else so I should be here if they give us an option to turn off the wobble.

If it's about something, i.e. qualifying or a race, then only the bumper view. If I want to experience a "new/special" car or just dive as "deep" as possible, then the cockpit view including wobble cam. It's just fantastic what then happens in the car, even the easiest/shortest/most boring stretches become a real treat when you thunder through the curves at what feels like a 45-degree incline, or you really get the feeling of taking off in Trial Mountain or the Nordschleife .

"bumper" all day, every day, for two and half decades.

Though as has been pointed out, it's not bumper, it's where the driver is modelled in the car minus the car model.
Is it???? I don't feel like I'm off center at all and I don't feel a difference in it between Japanese and American cars. Not saying you're wrong but I would be completely shocked.

Is it???? I don't feel like I'm off center at all and I don't feel a difference in it between Japanese and American cars. Not saying you're wrong but I would be completely shocked.
To me, the bumper view also looks like sitting in the middle of the engine compartment just in front of the dashboard, i.e. between the front wheels and the bulkhead, also a bit lower than on the seat, but with a somewhat "stretched" viewing angle. The car in front of you is modeled, so you can touch other vehicles, but you can't see it. You notice that very well when you ram another car or drive in front of a wall. If it were really the bumper, you wouldn't be able to see anything. Anyway.. I think this view is very good AND I have a rear-view mirror centrally at the top.

To me, the bumper view also looks like sitting in the middle of the engine compartment just in front of the dashboard, i.e. between the front wheels and the bulkhead, also a bit lower than on the seat, but with a somewhat "stretched" viewing angle. The car in front of you is modeled, so you can touch other vehicles, but you can't see it. You notice that very well when you ram another car or drive in front of a wall. If it were really the bumper, you wouldn't be able to see anything. Anyway.. I think this view is very good AND I have a rear-view mirror centrally at the top.

That sounds right. I don't think PD refer to it as bumper anyway.

Bumper cam by a fair margin for me. The exception is cars like the Super Formulas and the 917k where I use bonnet cam.

I do enjoy using the cockpit cam, I'm just not very good with it. Chase cam is just all round horrible.
the chase cam should not even be an option imo,
But for me i try to use the cockpit came as much as possible, but when it gets hard, i swich to bumper, just is the fastest way due to clear view, but i also like to swich between bumper and bonnet because of the change in sound :-)

Bumper cam for me.
I occasionally use cockpit just for the view (not for speed). And in past versions of the game I remember using chase cam just for some specific licence tests. I can't recall why right now though and I've not needed it in GT7.

Bumper cam here. It's not perfect but I think it's the best compromise. I have my monitor set kinda low so that my wheel and rig cover the bottom 25-30% of the screen, so it's easy to imagine the monitor as the windshield. Bumper is also the fastest, or at least tied for the fastest with hood cam. Also, functional rear view mirror is great.

Cockpit is just too unrealistic for most people imo. Yes it's "immersive" in that you can see the inside of the car, but unless you have a 65" tv like 3 feet away from your eyes, the sizes of everything in the car are all very off and the car feels like it's yawing around the trunk rather than the driver/center of mass. This vastly outweighs the positive immersive benefits in my opinion. If you have a big enough/close enough tv (and at the right height) it can feel really immersive for sure, but it's still just so much slower than hood or bumper cam.

Hood cam could be really cool, but it just drives me crazy that the widths of the hoods and heights of the camera are all so inconsistent between cars. Sometimes it feels like you're right at the base of the windshield and other times you're seemingly a foot above the roof and the hood only occupies the middle third of the screen. This just messes with my brain too much, it never feels like I'm at the right height or pivoting around the center of the car.

Experienced this weekend (at Iberanime here in Lisbon) the cockpit view with VR on a wheel in GT Sport and that was one hell of an experience. It still doesn't beat bumper/bonnet view to get the right braking points and apexes but it's a hell of a lot better than cockpit view in normal mode (no VR) which is certainly the worst.

I use the chase cam and feel more comfortable with it, I like to see the car I drive and have been this way since the younger days. In terms of speed I'm just as fast in bonnet view. Don't like bumper view... just feels weird not knowing how wide your car is but your view of the road is clearly the best.

If it didn't cost an arm and a leg to get a propper wheel (G29 quality bare minimum) + driving seat and wheel/pedals stand-off + VR headset, I would go with this option 100%. The immersion is simply on another level. 200€ and I would get this right now, but this isn't fantasy-land, as it stands, about 600€ wouldn't be enough, more than the console and the game itself combined, and I play other games too, not just GT7 so it's really not a buy I can get into unless it's extremely cheap.

Well, ever since I had my first GT experience with GT3 back in the day chase camera is what felt most natural to me and where I was the fastest. I enjoy seeing the car while driving which I suppose is what drew me to it from the beginning as opposed to bumper or hood. These days I like to mix it up with cockpit when I do some time trials on my own and the like because the immersion is cool and it just feels great. I’m definitely slower in cockpit but it’s fun.

Experienced this weekend (at Iberanime here in Lisbon) the cockpit view with VR on a wheel in GT Sport and that was one hell of an experience. It still doesn't beat bumper/bonnet view to get the right braking points and apexes but it's a hell of a lot better than cockpit view in normal mode (no VR) which is certainly the worst.

I use the chase cam and feel more comfortable with it, I like to see the car I drive and have been this way since the younger days. In terms of speed I'm just as fast in bonnet view. Don't like bumper view... just feels weird not knowing how wide your car is but your view of the road is clearly the best.

If it didn't cost an arm and a leg to get a propper wheel (G29 quality bare minimum) + driving seat and wheel/pedals stand-off + VR headset, I would go with this option 100%. The immersion is simply on another level. 200€ and I would get this right now, but this isn't fantasy-land, as it stands, about 600€ wouldn't be enough, more than the console and the game itself combined, and I play other games too, not just GT7 so it's really not a buy I can get into unless it's extremely cheap.
Since GT VR is not or hopefully not YET supported (which may still come on the PS5 with VR2), it is not a real issue yet. For everything else, there are very good used steering wheels, a good car seat from the junkyard and a few aluminum profiles and you're good to go. I'm currently only using "half a rig", my pedals and my seat are firmly connected to the self-made rig, the whole thing stands on non-slip feet on my office table, on which my steering wheel is attached and on which my monitor stands.

Bought together piece by piece and pay attention to bargains, then you can get something good very cheaply.

Back