Which driving view are you FASTEST with in GT7?

• Thread starter CustomX
  • 131 comments

Which driving view are you FASTEST with in GT7?

• Cockpit (Flat)

Votes: 27 8.3%
  • Bumper

Votes: 141 43.1%
  • Bonnet

Votes: 78 23.9%
  • Chase

Votes: 60 18.3%
  • Cockpit (PSVR2)

Votes: 21 6.4%

• Total voters
Cockpit since GT5. Infact mentally this veiw has, for me become synonymous with hard work and focus. The trade off being immersion that it gives has also become like a focusing aid.

When a car is just too difficult to see out of from the cockpit perspective, I'll chose the trusty bonet cam.

To go fast, I use bonnet cam on most everything but the prototypes and formula cars, where I use cockpit view. If I'm not chasing every tenth in a road car, I use cockpit view.

Bumper view here as well, when I first started playing GT, I used chase cam, then hood and finally settled on bumper cam, not sure which GT it was, maybe 4 or 5.

Time Trials I use Hood cam. For races I usually float between chase and cockpit.

If only the eye tracking was more sharper like ACC, I'd be on cockpit fully.

Last edited:
At this point, PSVR2.

Previously I used bumper cam and would have to guesstimate where the wheels were at times, especially when it came to track limits. I have a better sense of spatial awareness when racing in VR.

Dunno about the fastest bu the only one I use is the bumper view because it comes with a rear view mirror, (cockpit is hit and miss for that).

It's really frustrating that PD won't give you mirrors in other views because it's not realistic, yet they give you an unrealistic radar, which no race car in the world has ever had nor likely to have.

I've heard a few other people say that. I can confirm that I'm quite a bit faster om VR than I am in 2D.
I chalk it up to the improved depth perception to judge distance and closing speed, and also the fact that I can turn my head to glance at the distal part of a turn without waiting until the view rotated and your car is actually facing that way. It helps be more consistent with hitting the apex

I've had to change my vote. It was bumper, but since getting VR it's cockpit view with VR. Now that may well be more about doing better gear changes than the view, but I am beating my some of my old times with VR.

I've had to change my vote. It was bumper, but since getting VR it's cockpit view with VR. Now that may well be more about doing better gear changes than the view, but I am beating my some of my old times with VR.
My guess is you can look to the apex. That’s the biggest difference I noticed between chin on pavement view versus cockpit. I can see the apex better with my chin scraping the pavement. Project Cars had a look to apex feature that was a really good idea. Just set it how you want, the camera would shift just enough and it seemed as you began turning it would shift back so you could actually see.

I always used chase cam due to being able to see more of the track and traffic around you. However, VR trumps that hands down. The immersion makes it feel like you're playing a different game. The tracks come alive. On a TV the tracks seem narrow, but in VR you really get the sense of size of everything around you. The ability to turn your head and see the apex is a huge benefit. I can't go back to flat screen. The only downside is the lack of a leaderboard in VR which I imagine will be added eventually.

I always used chase cam due to being able to see more of the track and traffic around you. However, VR trumps that hands down. The immersion makes it feel like you're playing a different game. The tracks come alive. On a TV the tracks seem narrow, but in VR you really get the sense of size of everything around you. The ability to turn your head and see the apex is a huge benefit. I can't go back to flat screen. The only downside is the lack of a leaderboard in VR which I imagine will be added eventually.
Yeah, it would be nice if you could hotkey that to show up or something and then vanish at your discretion. That's my only "issue"' with VR, otherwise it absolutely changes the game so completely that I too will never go back to flat screen racing

I’m on the fence with VR I wish I could rent one first locally but can’t find a place. Looking to the apex is everything and there’s been times it would be handy to be able to check my mirrors (some cars they’re totally blocked or not in view) and have the ability to look beside when racing close.

I wish they’d let us hot key between cockpit view and chase cam like how I can look in my rear view mirror. But you have to flip through all views just to get back. Honestly sometimes it feels like nobody at PD has ever tried any other racing sim out there. Lol. Or they have and they think their way is better or they’re scared about “copying” good ideas.

VR. I used to use the roof cam but since I started playing in VR my lap times have improved quite a bit and I've become more consistent. I don't make as many mistakes anymore since driving in VR feels so natural and immersive. Also my car control skills have improved a lot and when I watch flat screen replays of my VR runs I can really see the difference compared to my old driving. I've gotten rid of many bad habits that were slowing me down.

Last edited:
I’m on the fence with VR I wish I could rent one first locally but can’t find a place. Looking to the apex is everything and there’s been times it would be handy to be able to check my mirrors (some cars they’re totally blocked or not in view) and have the ability to look beside when racing close.

I wish they’d let us hot key between cockpit view and chase cam like how I can look in my rear view mirror. But you have to flip through all views just to get back. Honestly sometimes it feels like nobody at PD has ever tried any other racing sim out there. Lol. Or they have and they think their way is better or they’re scared about “copying” good ideas.
personally, vr has done more for performance and immersion than the 8nm dd pro(which i love!). Still, VR > all in this game. Frankly, given the specs psvr2 is a bargain similar to the old blue ray deal on the ps2 or 3..been a while. Can’t recall which one.

It might be worth it.

People claiming it makes you 3 secs faster a lap. Currently about 3 secs off the lead in the online TTs. So if I buy the headset and it works as advertised by people here, I'm world record holder!!
I wonder if these people started racing a lot more since getting it? I kind of think that’s where the 3 seconds came from.

I wonder if these people started racing a lot more since getting it? I kind of think that’s where the 3 seconds came from.
No.. VR is just that much better… the driving view cannot be match vs 2D. Even if I play with my controller I use VR… imo it’s the best experience I’ve ever had with a game… shoot I would by a VR head set before a wheel… that’s how good it’s been!

I think it's a combo of what you're saying AND the increased immersion. At least for me. Even if we put aside the possible increase in pace, it's just flat out light years more fun. If you can find a way to justify the money being spent I can't advise it highly enough. It went from being a 8/10 enjoyable game to a 12/10 best game/experience I've arguably ever had

I think it's a combo of what you're saying AND the increased immersion. At least for me. Even if we put aside the possible increase in pace, it's just flat out light years more fun. If you can find a way to justify the money being spent I can't advise it highly enough. It went from being a 8/10 enjoyable game to a 12/10 best game/experience I've arguably ever had
I’m going to try and find one to rent first.

It might be worth it.

People claiming it makes you 3 secs faster a lap. Currently about 3 secs off the lead in the online TTs. So if I buy the headset and it works as advertised by people here, I'm world record holder!!
As someone who has way more miles in cars, than video games.. its given me about 5 seconds off my average times. Now if your great at flat, and have more miles in the game it might not be such a great return. I’d wager it will still be significant. Also, and this can’t be overstated, the situational awareness of VR > all. Few things are more satisfying than clocking some fool about to blast your tail going into a corner and side stepping it. Really wish gt7/psvr2 had hand tracking as i’d love to honk the horn and wave as they side into oblivion.

But yeah, i do kinda wish sometimes that I could just race against people in vr. The quality of the racing would undoubtedly improve.

Last edited:
Back