Which driving view are you FASTEST with in GT7?

• Thread starter CustomX
  • 131 comments

Which driving view are you FASTEST with in GT7?

• Cockpit (Flat)

Votes: 27 8.3%
  • Bumper

Votes: 140 42.9%
  • Bonnet

Votes: 78 23.9%
  • Chase

Votes: 60 18.4%
  • Cockpit (PSVR2)

Votes: 21 6.4%

• Total voters
I used to use bonnet and probably still would but had to change to bumper during GtSport for the mirror. :indiff:

I'm hit here without it but since I saw them coming I avoided taking the corner until they'd gone off. Not only is there idiots you need to avoid but people accidently on the wrong tyres, in this case inters on a dry track. :lol:

:gtplanet::cheers:

I'd always used the so-called "bumper" cam in every GT game since the first one, but there was a licence test at Le Mans in GT7 where I was terrible at it, and when I switched to chase cam it was a revelation. The particular car had a very low bumper cam, because of how low the driver is in that car, and I just couldn't see the shapes of the corners well enough to judge when to turn. I was immediately massively faster with chase cam, I could so much more accurately follow a good line through the corners. I've stuck with chase cam ever since, though I think bumper cam is fine for cars where it isn't so close to the ground.

I've always use bumper cam in Turismo games for speed (no A-pillars to have to look through), but since they added it, I like to "play racing car driver" in cockpit mode when I'm just goofing around. That goes for pretty much all asphalt based games. In rally games I use hood/ bonnet view because I use the middle of the hood as a position marker when using a wheel, but use chase view for wider FOV when I'm using a controller. I've always found the chase view in Turismo games to have a weird "flat turn in" when going around corners. It's like the car has zero body roll. Plus using a wheel in chase view is weird. It's like you're driving a car of you driving a car.

I'm fastest with bumper cam but when a cockpit view is available I use that. I don't see any point in playing a sim game or a great driving game if I'm not going to replicate using the car in real life.

Hood view is an ok substitute and chase cam only when the game is really arcade-like.

I used to use Bumper but someone (probably one here) said I should try bonnet/hood cam and it was a revelation. Much faster and definitely more consistent. With my set up it feels the most realistic too, since in cockpit view I get two steering wheels (my actual G29 and the onscreen one).

In Sport mode I often use Bumper though for the rear view mirror - Why is it not in bonnet cam?

Bumper but only goto that mode if I'm havin a struggle seeing out the cockpit :) hard too see where a corner entry is with some cars, like the GR10.

Last edited:
Bonnet cam doesn't exist in GT. You meant roof cam.

mr-bean-bean.gif

Last edited:
bonnet ftw , I like being able to see the extremities of the car (both side wings) ...

tempted to try bumper but worried I will be able to "see" less when trying to thread between other cars and push for overtakes

Doesn't matter to me I decided as a young kid if cockpit view was ever as detailed as we have it in games these days it's all if ever use, I'm not so interested in speed as the overall experience and enjoyment. My days of caring about a tenth and running endless hotlaps of the same circuit are left back on the PS2 and 3 to be honest

Hood cam with radar, I used to run with bumper view but tried hood cam since a lot of fast drivers were using it and I can't go back now. Plus not having a rear mirror took a lot of pressure off my shoulder. I used to pay too much attention to cars behind me.

This is so crazy I've been playing Gran Turismo since around when GT2 came out, this was when I was very young and chase cam was all I could manage, it wasn't until GT4 or GT5 days where I started doing cockpit and never looked back. I play exclusively in cockpit & I actually set some extremely fast times. I am able to beat or replicate most real life Nurburgring lap records that I've attempted so far with their corresponding vehicles (unmodified) without assists & I use a T300RS GT edition wheel and pedals. I must be crazy for never even considering bumper cam as a viable option. This is probably why I'm only able to perform this well when I'm very focused and alert.. clearly it's the most difficult to be good at! I've been making it so much harder on myself all this time and these replies have inspired me to try setting times with bumper cam! Thx everyone. Ps if you're similar please reply because I feel like I'm the only one who genuinely suffered this oversight

I’m the fastest with my chin scraping the pavement but I don’t get the point of driving “a real driving simulator” and not being in cockpit view so that’s actually what I always run. I just know on some circuit experiences I was having trouble completing, switch to chin on pavement, boom, done. Just don’t enjoy it, rather be slower than run the other views.

Used Bumper since GT3. After quitting online and only playing offline i wanted to see the cars i was driving. After changing to chase cam hundreds of hours ago I can't go back to something else any more.

Bumper cam for the entirety of my adult life (chase cam as a child, just like Mario kart!).

I can understand some of the benefits of hood cam but the lesser sensation of speed really throws me off. Not only in a practical sense, but I really find the game less enjoyable when you don't feel you're going as fast.

I was definitely fastest in chase camera but I switched to cockpit when I ordered the PSVR2 and ever since it arrived I always drive in VR now and am much faster in VR. I still drive in Chase camera in FH5 and probably will in FM8 as well. VR is amazing though and I wish every game had VR.

Bumper Cam is actually the same height as cockpit cam.
I am faster with bumper cam and usually use this. But recently I've been driving all my favourite cars on the 'ring 24H layout with cockpit cam, just for fun.

Been using chase cam for 25 years, not stopping now.

I can get close to my fastest times using the bumper cam, and it has the best HUD placement, but I have less control with that one. For TTs it's ok for but proper races I'm old fashioned, need to see my whole car.

Last edited:
I prefer most of the time the cockpit view except for some of the prototypes where pd chose such a bad angle (similar to the huge japanese van that was recently added) that you barely see the (near) track in front of you. In these cars I switch to the bumper or bonnet view

Usually bumper cam on any racing game with the monitor simulating the windshield. It gets interesting fast on no wheel racers like wipEout.
In VR, cockpit view works best. All the intended displays are there where they should be. Not sure how fast I am as some games remove the speedometer in this view.
I use chase and roof cam as necessary, roof cam in tight traffic and chase cam when they're pulling PIT maneuvers or issuing tons of penalties.

Not played much recently but if I'm messing around in 'offline mode' its cockpit. However the lack of view in GT7 that shows just a dash and not the wheel (thats available in Rally games or Assetto Corsa) bugs me a bit. I dont need to see two steering wheels. Minor point as I'm usually just chilling out in classic cars so its not a big deal.

If i jump in Sport Mode its bonnet cam so I have the mirror.

Last edited:
Bumper, but the reason why I use it is really because of the mirror.

At release, I used offset cockpit for a while. The visibility that you will lose on the same side of the car pretty much made it not worth it. Not like normal cockpit view was that good anyway...

Also the placement of the MFD is just so much better, especially when you need to use the radar a lot.

Hood/roof cam. It gives the best visibility. Shame I don't actually like it, but I always used it to get past difficult challenges.

Back