Which GT had the best interface?

• Thread starter Eks
  • 84 comments

Which GT had the best interface?

• Total voters
This is just my opinion on how to review or rate a user interface.

1. Design
2. User-Friendliness
3. Organization

Speed or how quick the actual funtioning of the UI should NOT be considered because they do not purposely create slow loading times. They create them to run as smooth and as quick as possible. 👍

I voted GT5 and here is why.

1. Design - 5/5
- It all fits on one screen. You do not have to scroll or move the screen in any way to find a different feature. They are all right there in front of your face. You do not have to adjust your eyes every 5 seconds looking for something different.

Sure, you can memorize where things are. But that is much harder to do when you have a scrolling screen.

2. User-Friendliness - 4/5
- GT5 did have a couple problems with this. Maybe 2-3 options were a little different to get too in the menu. The cursor didn't always go where you wanted it to on 2-3 buttons out a whole bunch on that UI.

3. Organization - 5/5
- Everything was in the appropriate place. You click on dealership and you find cars. You go to GT-Auto and get vehicle maintenance. It just made sense. The only thing that may have been confusing was where to claim your car tickets. But it lit up a notification icon and was not confusing.

How could you go wrong with GT5's UI? :)

I loved the Interface of Gran Turismo 3 and 1 it was quick and easy to use, it had less problems than the newer releases, however GT5: Prolouge's was awesome and classy so it's my third on my list.
============================
GT3 will always be my favorite User Interface and way easier to go through.

1. GT5P - Just such a nice UI. And that in combination with the beautiful menu music, just... :bowdown:
  2. GT3 - Easy to navigate but pretty bland
  3. GT4 - Nice to look at but messy
  4. GT6 - Meh
  5. GT5 - Meh and messy
All the others I haven't played.

In terms of function, GT3 would be my vote simply because it's so damn simple. Stylistically though, I loved GT5P's. It just felt classy in every way.

It also has my favourite menu sfx.

GT5
I couldn't have said it better.

Although GT5 was slow, lets talk about how it looks rather than how it performs.

It was a mess. But I loved it. I learned where everything was in no time. It soon became very simple and I knew how to use it no problem.

The design fit all on the page. You didn't have to scroll or have any screen movements to see something else.

It was the best in my opinion.

I support you 100%!

I don't see how GT5's is a mess. Everything was there and every icon was pretty much self explanatory unlike GT2 or GT4. Plus, it was still no where near as slow as GT4's either.

It's not as streamlined as I'd like it but I still think it's not nearly as bad as people say.

To me GT6's is the best because it's like GT5's but much more streamlined, accessible, and faster. GT6's UI is clearly the best from a design and ease of use standpoint. GT5p's is clearly the best looking one though.

GT5

I don't see how GT5's is a mess. Everything was there and every icon was pretty much self explanatory unlike GT2 or GT4. Plus, it was still no where near as slow as GT4's either.

It's not as streamlined as I'd like it but I still think it's not nearly as bad as people say.

To me GT6's is the best because it's like GT5's but much more streamlined, accessible, and faster. GT6's UI is clearly the best from a design and ease of use standpoint. GT5p's is clearly the best looking one though.
I did not mean it literally. I meant is as in just a lot of stuff on one page.

It was a good mess. 👍

GT1 beats GT6 purely on the grounds of not being connected to the rest of GT6. GT3 comes third, followed by GT5, followed by GT4, followed by GT2.

GT2's still the best game out of all of them though.

Difficult to pick a "best" interface, but an interesting question. GT6 is quick and has the best photomode UI (the preview in the older games is too small) but I find the blue and grey menu screens of GT6 by far the least appealing and some parts like the GT Auto environment are very ugly. GT5 looked prettier to me and still does, everything feels much more crisp and clear, from the garage to the general menus. The grey is darker and looks better, plus you get to customize your home screen quite a lot. The dealership was especially pretty and I remember liking the event screens. Community was properly integrated and didn't feel like opening a seperate application. It wasn't the most practical, GT6 is certainly quicker and I did miss GT4's map interface and its used car dealer layout, but overall GT5 is my favourite.

GT6 by far the fastest and more practical. Only thing missing there was to be able to select another car from ingame menu when in time-trial or drifting without getting in main page, something that Enthusia had and I suspect that lack of enough amount of RAM in PS3 prevented them from doing. I will be sure of it in PS4's next GT game.

It surprises me to see a number of people praising GT4, I thought it was a mess, particularly the home screen. I could sneeze into a confetti tin and still produce a more organized display.

I agree with @TomBrady regarding GT4. Nostalgia.

Having to scroll so much to get around was annoying (although maybe they were trying to emulate "traveling" along the road map printed on the background? :sly:).

--

Anyways, looks like GT6 is our winner. I'll admit, I did not expect GT5 to receive as many votes as it did.

I like the way GT5 puts everything on one screen but I've always liked GT4. I think it would make a really good VR map that you could drive around to get to your event.

Functionally, I think Tourist Trophy (technically, it IS a GT game, just under a different name.) and GT6 had the best UI, they both had side-scroll menus (which I really like using), and they both had things organized very well.

Aesthetically, I liked GT2 and GT3 the best, the city themes within the respective Simulation Modes were pretty cool.

Plus, it was still no where near as slow as GT4's either.
It was in fact quite a bit slower, and the further you "progressed" in the game the worse it became at basic functionality (which likely has to do with why GT6 had such big changes to the garage system). GT4 had its own problems and GT5 was infinitely better laid out (though slightly worse in in-race menus, and much worse in a couple of cases), but GT4 never randomly decided it was going to take 15 seconds to allow you to make a selection on the main menu after it loaded, or stop responding to controls on the garage screen if you scroll too fast until it could catch up, or cache all of its user data in a file that started growing so large it eventually slowed the whole thing down.

And that's just the stuff it does now, after the GT5 servers were scuttled. Because PD tied so much of the UI into multi-player functions, if PSN servers were being flaky it could just hang permanently until you logged out and sometimes not even without restarting the game. There were so many of what I'm assuming are optimization problems when you were connected to PSN that at times the UI would function about as well as that of a contemporary Kinect game.

Last edited:
Choices, choices, choices.

Personally, I think it's between GT4 and GT6. GT4 had far and away the best-looking UI in a GT game, but while I don't recall encountering any of the issues @Tornado mentioned, the fact that it was a little more spread out made it technically harder to use, but I never minded because it made navigating between things fun. GT6's, on the other hand, does what a UI is designed to do better: it fades into the background so that navigating the game becomes second nature. The Windows 8-style horizontal arrangement makes sense with a controller, and being able to flit quickly between sections using L1 and R1 makes navigating a breeze.

If I could vote for both, I would, but for now I'm going with GT6 on the grounds that it's technically better, even though GT4 still has it in the aesthetics department.

I would say GT2 because there were less loading times and the AI were impeccably feisty. Just my opinion since I've been playing since the first GT game. I hope that the AI in GT7 will be a challenge as not everyone wants to go online and be barged off the track.

I would say GT2 because there were less loading times and the AI were impeccably feisty. Just my opinion since I've been playing since the first GT game. I hope that the AI in GT7 will be a challenge as not everyone wants to go online and be barged off the track.
What does the AI have to do with the interface?

It was in fact quite a bit slower, and the further you "progressed" in the game the worse it became at basic functionality (which likely has to do with why GT6 had such big changes to the garage system). GT4 had its own problems and GT5 was infinitely better laid out (though slightly worse in in-race menus, and much worse in a couple of cases), but GT4 never randomly decided it was going to take 15 seconds to allow you to make a selection on the main menu after it loaded, or stop responding to controls on the garage screen if you scroll too fast until it could catch up, or cache all of its user data in a file that started growing so large it eventually slowed the whole thing down.

And that's just the stuff it does now, after the GT5 servers were scuttled. Because PD tied so much of the UI into multi-player functions, if PSN servers were being flaky it could just hang permanently until you logged out and sometimes not even without restarting the game. There were so many of what I'm assuming are optimization problems when you were connected to PSN that at times the UI would function about as well as that of a contemporary Kinect game.

I don't agree with that at all. Maybe certain functions are slower but they're few and far in between and just navigating through the icons was significantly faster in GT5. That was one of the biggest problems with GT4's icons. not only were they a complete mess organized in a way that made no sense at all, not only were there a ton of them, but just scrolling through each one was painfully slow. It would take forever just to get from the top to the bottom so I completely stand by what I said. Anybody saying GT4's is the best is just letting nostalgia get the better of them. It was not a good UI at all.

By impeccably fiesty do you mean that they had the rubber banding turned up all the way? Because I've played GT2 very recently and the AI was just awful

GT5P was simple, fast and pretty. It had a beautiful style. Everything did what it looked like it was supposed to do. It's the best modern take on a UI that GT has had, although obviously part of that is down to the limited amount of content it had to manage.

GT4 was an interesting idea badly done. I still like the idea of the menu integrating into a map, but it was just too clunky to be described as good. I have fond memories, but I don't want to go back and use the thing again.

You are thinking about GT1. GT2 loading is slower than GT1 and it's the start of the series' trademark zombie AI. GT1 menus were blazingly fast and its AI actually put up a good fight if you don't use overkill cars.

1st favorite UI is GT3's UI interface. Best done in the series IMO.
2nd favorite is GT PSP. Pretty fast and nicely designed.
3rd favorite is GT6's UI along with GT1.
GT2,GT4,GT5 UI's are really awfully designed to me.

1st favorite UI is GT3's UI interface. Best done in the series IMO.
2nd favorite is GT PSP. Pretty fast and nicely designed.
3rd favorite is GT6's UI along with GT1.
GT2,GT4,GT5 UI's are really awfully designed to me.
GT4?!. Really?!

The best UI ever made was GT4's. Honestly, PD needs to re-do it again!. With the GT3's track selection UI and GT5's car showcase UI as well ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back