Which GT had the best interface?

• Thread starter Eks
  • 84 comments

Which GT had the best interface?

• Total voters
@girabyt3 - Please don't double post. You can use the Edit feature or the '+ Quote' button.

I'm surprised at how many votes GT4 and GT6 has, especially considering how few there are for Prologue. I guess "best" doesn't encompass logical layouts, responsiveness, and ease of use for a lot of people.
Oh, sorry then. And with respect of the UIs, it's just people's taste. I mean, I don't like GT6's UI, even if it's the fastest and best organized so far. GT4's it's just the best UI ever made for a game :D

@girabyt3 - Please don't double post. You can use the Edit feature or the '+ Quote' button.

I'm surprised at how many votes GT4 and GT6 has, especially considering how few there are for Prologue. I guess "best" doesn't encompass logical layouts, responsiveness, and ease of use for a lot of people.
Perhaps logical layouts, responsiveness, and ease of use isn't everyone's cup of tea,but rather just how it looks in general. Though don't see why.

Reading the posts here makes me a little sad I never got Prologue, when I became interested the update servers were already taken down so I never bought it. Judging from the screenshots and videos, I would've liked it a lot, since I favour GT5 mostly due to its looks.

Rose tinted glasses (GT4) and short term memory bias (GT6) would be my guesses. Also Prologue didn't sell as much as the main games (though it still outsold GT6) and I suspect the people who played GT5P have moved on now, and the people who are here now did not buy Prologue as they were waiting for the full game.

Reading the posts here makes me a little sad I never got Prologue, when I became interested the update servers were already taken down so I never bought it. Judging from the screenshots and videos, I would've liked it a lot, since I favour GT5 mostly due to its looks.
I wish I hadn't deleted my GT5P game data to make room for other games if I knew that I couldn't update it again. Oh well...

Visually, GT5P's UIs is probably the most appealing out of all of the GT games, but in terms of accessibility, I find GT6 to be the best. I don't see how GT6's UI doesn't fit in the categories of having responsiveness, and being easy to ise, since GT6's UI is fastest out of all of the games along with GT1, and has a simple layout.

Last edited:
Visually, GT5P's UIs is probably the appealing out of all of the GT games, but in terms of accessibility, I find GT6 to be the best. I don't see how GT6's UI doesn't fit in the categories of having responsiveness, and being easy to ise, since GT6's UI is fastest out of all of the games along with GT1, and has a simple layout.

The protracted lag between the menus loading and the cursor actually being able to move would be the definition of unresponsive, for one. Playing other games and going back to GT6, I was immediately struck by how much time I had to waste waiting for the cursor to do what I had asked of it. There is no reason for there to be input lag on a menu.

The trick of getting the pre-race menu to load quicker, but then requiring a long wait if the player immediately selects the race start option, is another one that bugs me personally. I understand why it was done, but I'm not a fan.

The main pet peeve I have with GT1's and GT2's UIs is the placement of the Save (GT1)/Game Progress (GT2) buttons in the quick access buttons. It is possible to accidentally click those and you have to start over from whatever screen you had. :irked:

You can get Spec 3 on disc, but I think it was Japan only. Still, if you're ever in Japan it will cost you next to nothing, I got my copy for ten bucks and that was before GT5 even came out.

The protracted lag between the menus loading and the cursor actually being able to move would be the definition of unresponsive, for one. Playing other games and going back to GT6, I was immediately struck by how much time I had to waste waiting for the cursor to do what I had asked of it. There is no reason for there to be input lag on a menu.

The trick of getting the pre-race menu to load quicker, but then requiring a long wait if the player immediately selects the race start option, is another one that bugs me personally. I understand why it was done, but I'm not a fan.

From what I recall GT6 suffered the same issue GT5 did in that regard. Day 1, version 1.00 the menus were pretty nippy, hardly any of that waiting. But then the updates piled on, new bits were added on the menus and things seemed to get more sluggish.

I don't agree with that at all. Maybe certain functions are slower but they're few and far in between and just navigating through the icons was significantly faster in GT5. That was one of the biggest problems with GT4's icons. not only were they a complete mess organized in a way that made no sense at all, not only were there a ton of them, but just scrolling through each one was painfully slow. It would take forever just to get from the top to the bottom so I completely stand by what I said. Anybody saying GT4's is the best is just letting nostalgia get the better of them. It was not a good UI at all.

By impeccably fiesty do you mean that they had the rubber banding turned up all the way? Because I've played GT2 very recently and the AI was just awful

Lol, yeah but at least they weren't slowing to a crawl at every apex as they do in GT4,5 & 6. I do understand how may would find GT2 AI awful but for me it was the 2 player battles that I had with my brother that made up for it, but now sadly the element of taking your memory card to a mates house after days of tuning your cars to challenge them with is gone and has made the GT Series go downhill for me in some respects. Yes I know that online play is the new way going forward but I'd rather not have to deal with the mugs who only want to barge you off the track. There are so many factors to this game that we could argue about for a lifetime which in itself is a chore and a half.

You are thinking about GT1. GT2 loading is slower than GT1 and it's the start of the series' trademark zombie AI. GT1 menus were blazingly fast and its AI actually put up a good fight if you don't use overkill cars.

True indeed as I had forgotten how fast GT1 Loading times were. I have so little time these days to go back to it so i'll need to take a trip down memory lane very soon.

I think GT6 has the best interface but I would still like to see something a bit different in future GTs

I have only played GT1,5 and 6 and to be honest, the GT1 UI isn't very good IMO. The cursor doesn't go where I want it to go 9 times out of 10 and it looks very dated. GT6 may be faster and cleaned them GT5, it lacks the same scope and character. Having the GT mode and the Arcade mode separate made the game feel bigger too. Plus the GT auto is great.

I have only played GT1,5 and 6 and to be honest, the GT1 UI isn't very good IMO. The cursor doesn't go where I want it to go 9 times out of 10 and it looks very dated. GT6 may be faster and cleaned them GT5, it lacks the same scope and character. Having the GT mode and the Arcade mode separate made the game feel bigger too. Plus the GT auto is great.

I thought that the Save/Load screen in GT1 looked nice. I liked the way the options slowly 'flashed'.

Back