Which Steering Wheel for GT Sport (Experiences)

• Thread starter jaibee81
  • 37 comments
Switzerland
Switzerland
Which steering wheel could you recommend?
I own a Thrustmaster t150 and I miss the feeling with this steering wheel and especially with the gas pedal.

Can someone share his experiences for example with the Logitech G29 or other steering wheels?

Thanks

I would think if there is one thing that is not will differentiated between different wheel / pedal sets it's the throttle. Brakes, big difference. FFB big difference. Throttle pedal? It's a pedal on a spring for the t150 same as for the top end fanatec

Which steering wheel could you recommend?
I own a Thrustmaster t150 and I miss the feeling with this steering wheel and especially with the gas pedal.

Can someone share his experiences for example with the Logitech G29 or other steering wheels?

Thanks
Do you have a T150, or T150 Pro?

GTS has a huge issue with all throttle pedals. There is no linear (or close to it) throttle response like other racing games (and earlier PD games) have. This may very well play into your dislike of the T150 2 pedal throttle. I also think upgrading to a T3Pa pedal set (not the far more expensive T3PaPro set) makes a big difference, but not primarily in the accelerator, but in the brakes. Put in the brake mod cone, and braking sensitivity and feel goes up radically.

I used a DFGT 2 pedal set very successfully in GT5/6, and never really had an issue with the gas pedal (same light feel as the standard T150 pedals). But I feel that the throttle response curve in GTS is the root of the pedal feel issue, and won't change radically no matter what you get. I do not have the same issues of fine throttle control with AC and PC2.

Before answering the question, I'll counter with a question of my own: what's your budget?

A secondary question would be which (if any) other games/platforms you own?

I had a G25 for maybe 16-17 years before going to the G29- the G25 was incredibly durable. The G29 was amazing in GT6 (PS3) and PCars 1 (PS4), and has gotten better in GTS, particularly with the new tire model. Part of me thinks PD is sneaking G29 settings adjustments in, because it does seem to get better as time goes by. I agree with everything that has been said about the throttle curve in GTS- it way too peaky at the top (bottom?) of the pedal travel. If you've been happy with your T-series wheel, I'd stay with them. For GTS only, I'm not sure I'd go with Logitech again. For general PS4/PC use, I think they make a very high quality, durable product, and I would recommend it.

I have a T300 wheel and i like that better then the old G27/25 wheels. G29 is basically the same as the older models from my understanding except for some buttons, a brake mod and some magical chip to make it work on PS4. So from my experience i'd recomend T300 over G29.

I still use the Logitech pedals though. I think they are pretty good and i got the GTEYE spring in my brake pedals wich makes a big difference.

I have been running a T300GT set for 5 months now and I absolutely love it. The last wheel I used was a G27 so I can't make any real comparisons to other modern wheels, but if the G29 internals are anything close to the 27 then the feel and feedback of the T300 should be considerably better. Also, the Logitech wheels always have a bit of a dead zone and a delay in the paddle shifts .
However, the thrustmaster is pricier than the G29. I bought my set for $370 when the g29 was at $250, so if budget is a major factor than go with the G29. The performance is comparable and it's definitely the better value. But if you can get a good deal or some extra cash to burn then go with the T300 GT

I have a G29 and the feel of it has gotten a lot better since the 1.23 patch.

The TGT is the wheel to have for GTS, but I'm not sure if it's key feature (T-DFB) works in other racing games. If it doesn't then I wouldn't waste $1000 on that thing.

I have a G29 and the feel of it has gotten a lot better since the 1.23 patch.

The TGT is the wheel to have for GTS, but I'm not sure if it's key feature (T-DFB) works in other racing games. If it doesn't then I wouldn't waste $1000 on that thing.

It doesn't, which is something I covered in the GTPlanet T-GT review. It definitely affects the value proposition of the wheel, since a good chunk of that price tag is really only for a single game. The rotary dials are also GT-unique — and sadly, same with the two analog sticks!

It doesn't, which is something I covered in the GTPlanet T-GT review. It definitely affects the value proposition of the wheel, since a good chunk of that price tag is really only for a single game. The rotary dials are also GT-unique — and sadly, same with the two analog sticks!

Ouch, definitely not worth the price to me then. Might as well go Fanatec for that kind of money.

I love those dials though.

I'm using a pre-owned Fanatec CSR FFB steering wheel in GT Sport, & my trusty old G25 pedals that I bought in 2009 (with a NIXIM V2 brake mod). I'm using a Fanatec pedal cable adapter to hook my pedals up to the wheel, & a Drivehub Racing Wheel Converter to make the wheel work on PS4. It's all working flawlessly at the moment.

The rotary dials are also GT-unique — and sadly, same with the two analog sticks!
That's simply not true. Every dial and button is working and is assignable - on the PC side at least. And as for the so-called transducer (aka butt-kicker) only to ever work with GTS - how do you know that? Are other game studios prohibited to access it in the future? I find that hard to believe without references/citations.

Also, in your review (where you evidently didn't even try to push the rotary dials to find out what function, if any, they had) you stated that outside of GTS "The T-GT essentially becomes a more powerful T300RS" - are you not aware that the TS-PC (Thrustmasters top-of-the-line wheel-base for PC) and the T-GT shares the same internals? So no, outside of GTS the T-GT is not a "more powerful T300", but a TS-PC.

Regarding what wheel to buy for GTS: It depends both on your wallet and how strong FFB you like. My T150 couldn't cope with even the lowest FFB strength of GTS - after 10-15 minutes racing the wheel went totally limb.

I came to the conclusion that I had to get a new wheel - easier said than done, though.

I read up on the T300 online, and many people were happy with it, but it seemed many had problems with reliability too. Then I checked Fanatec out and read about a lot of problems there too (and it wasn't as compatible as promised).

If I hadn't come across a good offer for the T-GT (prematurely mentioned in my answer above) I would've given up and stayed with the T150.

Last edited:
That's simply not true. Every dial and button is working and is assignable - on the PC side at least.

Yes, on the PC. On the PS4 — the primary platform used for the review — they are GT-exclusive.

And as for the so-called transducer (aka butt-kicker) only to ever work with GTS - how do you know that? Are other game studios prohibited to access it in the future? I find that hard to believe without references/citations.

I could reference the Polyphony employees that told me as such at E3 2017. But perhaps the official site will do.

Also, in your review (where you evidently didn't even try to push the rotary dials to find out what function, if any, they had) you stated that outside of GTS "The T-GT essentially becomes a more powerful T300RS" - are you not aware that the TS-PC (Thrustmasters top-of-the-line wheel-base for PC) and the T-GT shares the same internals? So no, outside of GTS the T-GT is not a "more powerful T300", but a TS-PC.

I missed that the press for the one dial did cycle the MFD. Not quite the same.

Yes, the T-GT and TS-PC are the same internally. The T300RS is the next rung down on the PS4 side of things (and isn't PC-exclusive), however, and thus the comparison was made. It's even recognized as a T300 in other games' menus.

Cant agree on this point.
CSL works just fine.

Indeed — I've been running one for over a year without issue.

Interesting, so the gas pedal is a GT sport problem. I just noticed that from 50% jumps it suddenly to 100%. Thought it was lying on the pedal. Has anyone rebuilt the brake pedal for a better Feddback?

Last edited:
I'v owned a G29 for quite a while and then I moved on to the T-GT.

All I can say is that the T-GT is a MASSIVE improvement, especially in GTSport. The improvement in force, feel, smoothness, details is incomparable to be honest. Only issue with the T-GT (which is also present in the G29) are the pedals. Although they are of higher resolution (1024 steps vs 256), the issue is with the break pedal, it's too soft. Of course, you can use the rubber stopper that comes with the T-GT, but it's no substitute for a load cell (as it's marketed).

The best solution I found, and it's a great addition, is a Load Cell mod for these pedals, found here: https://www.loadcellmod.com/

It's pretty easy to install and works perfectly on GTSport. It's much easier to break consistently, and with it you can finally break normally with ABS off (it's much more authentic to run without ABS in cars that don't have ABS, such as the older cars, or the Gr2 and F1 cars). You no longer get an impossible margin of breaking before instantly locking the wheels and going straight.

So if budget is not an issue (you can find the T-GT on offer on various sites as low as 600$ sometimes), the T-GT + the load cell break mod is a perfect combination, and the best experience you can find for GTSport.

Interessant, so ist das Gaspedal ein GT-Sportproblem. Mir ist gerade aufgefallen, dass ab 50% plötzlich auf 100% springt. Dachte, es lag auf dem Pedal. Hat jemand das Bremspedal für einen besseren Feddback umgebaut?

Wie wär's mal mit Englisch weiterzumachen ? :cheers:

Yes, the unlinear throttle its a GTS- Problem and therfore has nothing to do with the wheel.

I had also a T150, it broke and I changed it is with a G29. But since Logitech is from PD not supported as well as Thrustmuster, the Feedback from G29 was not as good as at T150.

I use a thrustmaster t500 with t3pa pedals on a gt omega art sim rig

And for me this is a perfect wheel for the job it’s been reliable, it gives strong force feed back if needed (compared to Logitech’s I’ve used in the past)
I find it very useful also the bigger diameter rim I find rather good compared to smaller ones might just be my own preference though
The pedals are great always recommend t3pa pedals as others are so weak in comparison regarding the brake pedal

Only slightly annoying thing about the t500 is the paddles being fixed to the base not the wheel so having to take your hand off or strain for that last gear mid corner can be awkward but you’ll get used to it

I can’t comment on another wheel on gtsport but I have previously owned a g25,g29 and tested out a few others

Back