Which View do you prefer to race in?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ActiveMatx
  • 124 comments
  • 7,822 views

I prefer to drive in:

  • In Car Seat View

    Votes: 323 59.9%
  • On top of roof View

    Votes: 123 22.8%
  • Third person View

    Votes: 73 13.5%
  • I switch during race

    Votes: 20 3.7%

  • Total voters
    539
I saw in the shortcut keys on the front page that if you pause the game while racing and press select the view will change from a standard HUD to a view with a digital tachometer and a steering wheel. It didn't say whether it was for DSP or DS2 so I'm wondering if someone knows.
 
I used to always use the third person view, but since they ruined that with the gay third person instrumentation I have started using the bumper cam. That bar graph tachometer is useless.
 
i use the "in car seat" camera but it was cool if there was a hood view instead of the roof view.
 
I use the roof view because it's the only way you can get a first-person view without the damn rear view mirror - I wish it could be independantly toggled on or off in any view.

I also wish the ground level bumper-cam was a option for racing - harder to see but gives the best feeling of speed.
 
Using 3rd person view, but I want to be swayed to using bumper cam. The problem is I love my RUFs and I don't want to be hooning around a track in what sounds like a ****ing washing machine - which is what you get with bumper cam. Also, I'd miss the backfires. I really enjoy bumper cam whenever I use it (you get a far better appreciation of what the car is doing, speed etc.), but I always seem to end up switchin back to the chase cam. Am I defective in some way? :) :scared: :indiff:
 
I use in-car, because in chase the camera only points to where the car is going, not taking into account its angle of attack or anything else. You don't really know where you're going unless you're always looking at where the car is pointing.

I usually use the roof cam to get used to the car, but use in-car once I'm ready.
 
letdown427
Exactly right IMO, the 3rd person camera is too 'tight' to the car, especially given say when the car twitches a bit and you have to catch it from sliding, and it just, oh i don't know what it is,
<rant>
but they have ruined 3rd person view, i can't use it. I used it exclusively in every other game, maybe slipstream in first person, but now, im all about bumper cam. Altho i think maybe the DFP has helped there too, it's just wierd using a wheel and seeing the car.
</rant>
how can i switch cameras during race(i have gt 4 recently)
 
i prefer the in-car view for its sense of realism..but i am thinking about making some type of "cockpit" made of pipes like a roll cage n a steering wheel to play GT4 in..its jus a thought now..but heavy thinking will pull it off :sly:
 
I like to race in first person view a.k.a "car seat view".
It give a better look at the road and I'm able to controll the car much better. In any game with driving, I like this view for the same reasons. I can't drive a car if I see the car on the screen, It feels funny.
 
DLRgian
i prefer the in-car view for its sense of realism..but i am thinking about making some type of "cockpit" made of pipes like a roll cage n a steering wheel to play GT4 in..its jus a thought now..but heavy thinking will pull it off :sly:
..for example if its the roof view its OK but like i drive an SUV in real life a 2004 Durango Limited Hemi 4x4 n it sits high..but the in-car view proved to me that i do drive better with the in-car view like i researched my times with the 3 different views n my times were faster by more than 2 seconds..dun ask me how i guess maybe cuz it looks like im in the driver seat
 
ActiveMatx
I was wondering what is the most popular way to race.

Vote now, and please post your comments.
i use the in-car view for racing. love it! i don't think you get the feel of the speed from the outside view, and you don't get to hear the car in all it's splender...hood would be my second preference.
i do think we were cut short on just having 3 views though, considering you can get more in the replay.
 
Roof view rules! :bowdown: It gives you a much better sense of speed, BUT, you miss all the amazing effects such as sparks and flames from exhausts. :grumpy:
 
The "in car"view should be improved to show the actual view from inside the car. you'd catch a bit of the hood from the roof view as well as a piece of dash and the side pillars at the edge of the windshield. The current in car view can be too low as it is now but it's the one I use since the roof view is just too high up to feel real.
 
I use the 3rd person view 90% of the time. I dont like using the other views because I cant hear the engine. I always drive manual and shift by engine tone, I can tell if i am a gear high by engine tone, I dont have enough time to peek at that tiny little bar they call a Tach.... :yuck:
 
I use the 3rd person view. It looks the best and I used it in GT3, so I'm used to it. Plus I see where the car is better than with the bumper cam. I change to the bumper cam and roof cam to hear the engine more during races sometimes.

A in-car cam would be the best. The roof cam is too high, the bumper cam is too low.

There's no in-car seat view, it's on the bumper, you're right against the ground.
 
It's amazing how many people actually have commented that they want an IN CAR Dashboard/Cockpit camera....I think this should be high on PD's list for additions along with Real Damage and more individual and human-like driver AI
 
Two views that are there - but unavailable in race mode. In replay you can switch to the 3rd person view which is slightly further away from the car and slightly higher. why couldn't this be a choice in the game? Secondly - in photo mode you can have a cool bird's eye view...that would be a cool way to race and watch replays. Soetimes I just wanna see how I overtook someone on the bend or sped the straight, the bird's eye would be cool. If these views are in the engine - why aren't they in the race :-(
 
I have always driven from the 3rd person view in previous GTs but when they added the roof cam i tried it and found it easier to "see the line" in racing, mainly because of the reference of the hood and fenders is better.
 
In the beginning I used the roof cam because I thought it gave the best overview, but now I have changed to the bumper cam because I feel it gives me more control. The problem with the roof cam was that on some cars you couldn't see the hood and fenders and that made it harder to drive on the limit.

The bumper cam also gives a better feel of speed.
 
Lisa_Bonami
It's amazing how many people actually have commented that they want an IN CAR Dashboard/Cockpit camera....I think this should be high on PD's list for additions along with Real Damage and more individual and human-like driver AI

Just thinking about that woah, imagine having the cockpit view for evercar just like it was in real life? OMG, it would just be awesome and would be a perfect addon. I bet PD has alredy gone throught this but there is reasons for everything...right? It would be alot of work to do this for everycar. But it's ok i have no hard feelings. BTW, i like the bumper view. :)
 
In-car view. i just grew accustomed to it so much, and i can drive faster than using the 3rd person cam which i used to use back in gt1
 
The In Car View, is the only one I feel really comfy with, Roof view is passable, but 3rd person View I just dont get, never have, probably never will.

Steve
 
I always used a 3rd person chase view in every racing game out there before GT4. I was racing on Citta di Aria backwards in one of the missions and found it impossible to see where i was going at the beginning of each lap due to the weaving downhill section. You can't see over the roof of the huge truck. I switched to the roof cam and have improved so much. It's definately more realistic and easier to draft on cars. Now I always use a first-person type view in racing games, way more fun!
 
I run third person.
Just how I've done it since GT1 and will probably do it through GT10. :p

I like the wide view 3rd person provides as well as the concept of seeing where the sides of my car go.
I also like to see where the rear wheels are going during my racing.

Finally, I like to see the backend of the car for the sake of correcting drifts and turning properly.
Oh, and I love to see the car I'm racing as well. :D

Btw, I do love the first person sound though. 👍
Nothing beats the sound of first person view... (the exhaust of third person is close though :trouble: ). :lol: ;)
 
I love to race in roof view in my R8. But of course I have to have a plasma tv and when I race in it for over 20 min straight, the damn "roof" (part of the car above the drivers seat, i have no idea what it is) leaves a nice little blue ring on my TV!!!🤬 And my car is RED!!!:banghead:🤬 My dad gets so P.O.ed at me for playing GT4 on the big screen :drool: but its addicting like the zone... so I have to switch views every 10 mins. Really a hassle in Enduro races. :(
 
First Person: Normal racetrack.
Third Person: rally
 
I mainly use the bumper view (if it were in car, it should be higher) for all the tracks I know really well. Roof cam if I'm behind someone or in a series of views with difficult elevation changes. And only 3rd person view if I need to see exactly how I take a specific line.
 
Back