"Dimebag" Darrell Abott

Guthrie Govan

Mattias Eklundh

Biréli Lagrene

Jimmy Bruno

Yeah, six.

Some info:
Guthrie Govan's solo is improvised.
Mattias Eklundh's video is 30 minutes; I've seen it at least 10 times.
Biréli Lagrene's song is all improvised

You all know that none of the people mentioned are taking guitarism forward anymore except the ones i mentioned?
Have you never heard Monte Montgomery? That guy is the SRV meets Hendrix of Acoustic guitar.
Then there's Ani DiFranco
and many others that no one has heard of, like that guy Michael Hedges, or perhaps Laurence Juber, or Merle Travis.

The problem with this list is, if you go back and look it over, you will note a lot of the players mentioned are not able to take guitar any further.
Jason Becker has MS and is severely debilitated, many others are playing "on another plane of (non)existence." They are dead and gone.

Gil
Merle Travis

Merle Travis is ridiculously awesome, most don't know the technique "Travis Picking" is named after him.

...though anybody who has their name inlayed on their guitar must have some sort of ego problem... :P

Took me weeks to get anywhere near the neighborhood of proper Travis pickin'.
After all these years I've bastardized it to a mere shadow of what it should be.

I've only got 1 real favourite, Carlos Santana. Even though i learn guitar, i don't follow famous guitarists much.

I get what you are saying, but listen to that solo in Glasgow Kiss,the G3 version.

3:25, on that video, the song in general has a happy kind of vibe.

It's an intensely boring song. Very very VERY rigid timing with flat dynamics. Especially the period right before the one you called my attention to. The part at 3:25 starts to find just a little bit of life. It isn't much, but at least it isn't the usual Petrucci deadness.

Lost without You, if you dont hear any emotion, i dunno then man.

It's not unmistakable emotion. It could easily be mistaken for laid back. It's not going to get anyone riled up.

Pretty much every single Johnny Lang song ever had more emotion than either of the two you just listed.

Petrucci has more technical talent in his little finger than Lang. But I'd rather listen to Lang - hands down.

Also, I'm glad someone mentioned prince. The guy is good. He's not top tier, which is why I didn't mention him. But he's very good.

I've just re-watched the Biréli Lagrene video I posted. Holy cow. He tunes his guitar during the song for a musical effect! Starting with 3:15 remaining.

Heck, Jimmy Page did that in the solo to Heartbreaker almost 40 years ago.

Adrian Legg does it all the time too. In fact, I've heard an unconfirmed rumour that he actually equips his guitars with indexed machine heads to make it easier.

In order of outright talent, skill and originality, my top 5 would be:

1. Steve Howe
2. Robert Fripp
3. Frank Zappa
4. Pete Townshend
5. Richard Thompson

And any of these other five could possibly make my outright top 5 in terms of the music they've created...

Mick Ronson
John Martyn
Johnny Marr
George Harrison
Mark Knopfler

It's an intensely boring song. Very very VERY rigid timing with flat dynamics. Especially the period right before the one you called my attention to. The part at 3:25 starts to find just a little bit of life. It isn't much, but at least it isn't the usual Petrucci deadness.

It's not unmistakable emotion. It could easily be mistaken for laid back. It's not going to get anyone riled up.

Pretty much every single Johnny Lang song ever had more emotion than either of the two you just listed.

Petrucci has more technical talent in his little finger than Lang. But I'd rather listen to Lang - hands down.

Also, I'm glad someone mentioned prince. The guy is good. He's not top tier, which is why I didn't mention him. But he's very good.

Yea, i understand what you are talking about, technique isnt everything. I just gotta defend one of my choices, :)

Gil
Have you never heard Monte Montgomery? That guy is the SRV meets Hendrix of Acoustic guitar.
Then there's Ani DiFranco
and many others that no one has heard of, like that guy Michael Hedges, or perhaps Laurence Juber, or Merle Travis.

The problem with this list is, if you go back and look it over, you will note a lot of the players mentioned are not able to take guitar any further.
Jason Becker has MS and is severely debilitated, many others are playing "on another plane of (non)existence." They are dead and gone.

I know Jason Becker has ALS which is terrible, I put him on my list because he influenced me in playing the guitar and he did such amazing things while only a teenager and to me never even reached his potential. Even though he has programs to allow him to create his own music again, it isn't the same thing as physically being able to play with the guitar with you.

The way that he still creates his own music amazes me, he hasn't even played in 17 years and can breakdown each of his songs to single notes at a time, it is really inspiring.

I've just re-watched the Biréli Lagrene video I posted. Holy cow. He tunes his guitar during the song for a musical effect! Starting with 3:15 remaining.

I hate to sound like a guitar geek, but Fender has been making guitars,Tele's specifically, with a device called a Parson's B-bender that enables the player to de-tune the B-string for years.

Another company, I can't remember the name--sorry, makes an adjustable bridge, that allows three different tunings for each string.

Adrian Legg uses Banjo tuners on his guitars because they are faster for "changing horses" in mid stream.

) Eddie Van Halen
) Angus Young (not many votes?)
) Mark Knopfler (sp)
) SRV
) Hendrix

I no particular order.

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Carlos Santana
Jimi Hendrix
Eddie Van Halen
Eric Clapton

1.) Jimmy Page
2.) Eric Clapton
3.) Stevie Ray Vaughn
4.) Tony Iommi
5.) Randy Rhoads

ps - Jimi Hendrix , if you can add #6 💡

Forget my old post on the last page, my fav's are:

1.) Angus Young (ACDC)
2.) Brian May (Queen)
3.) Carlos Santana

I'm not sure about the others. :boggled:

1) Matt Bellamy

not the best example but its epic enough. Solo is brill.
2) Brian May
3) Steve Vai
4) Jimi Hendrix
5) Kirk Hammet

I agree 100%, infact I was surprised no-one else had mentioned Matthew. He is definately my number one guitarist, just for sheer technical skill in his songs. Every single song he seems to compose for guitar sounds different which is awesome.

1. Matthew Bellamy (Muse)
2. John Frusciante (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
3. Angus Young (AC/DC)

To be honest, I don't know that many more guitarists which I think are on the same level as those guys. I mean for example, Dave Grohl is good but I would never say he was one of the best guitarists. Most his stuff is power chords. As for if you look at the list, John is a awesome guitarist. I'm not overly intrested in the RHCP but his skills are awesome, for me he makes the songs good. Angus Young is good too for pretty much the same reasons.

1. Matthew Bellamy (Muse)
2. John Frusciante (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
3. Angus Young (AC/DC)

To be honest, I don't know that many more guitarists which I think are on the same level as those guys. I mean for example, Dave Grohl is good but I would never say he was one of the best guitarists. Most his stuff is power chords. As for if you look at the list, John is a awesome guitarist. I'm not overly intrested in the RHCP but his skills are awesome, for me he makes the songs good. Angus Young is good too for pretty much the same reasons.

You say most of Grohl's stuff is power chords, yet you have Angus Young in your top three.....

...?

John Fruiscante
Tom Morello
Kirk Hammett
The Edge
Joe Satriani

Thank god somebody said him. If you can write the guitar parts for under the bridge age 22 you deserve to be on this list. Oh, and it's Frusciante ;)

Last edited:
Back