Who Are Your Favorite Guitarists?Music 

• Thread starter emad
  • 354 comments
Yeah I did mean the guitar parts, Kiedis wrote it whilst driving down the freeway, about the previous guitarist Hillel Slovak and how he felt the spirit of the hills was protecting him during his drug habits. I don't know if you play guitar or not but christ that song is gonna take some learning!

On another note, Matt Bellamy is definitley there for me, as are Hendrix and clapton as expected.

... And the winners are... lol

1. Steve Vai (to me the best)
2. John Petrucci (my favourite) DREAM THEATER RULES!!!!! Best band ever:)
3. Kirk Hammet (Mettalica is always Mettalica:))
4. Gonçalo Pereira (one of the best in here in Portugal! check it out dudes!)
5. Kiko Loureiro

Before writing anything here, I'd like to make it clear that this is my personal opinion, and it is based upon different aspects. This being the difference between playing the guitar with emotion or pure technique. As for my personal opinion, I enjoy a guitarist who plays with emotion far more than any other player. These others being for example Kirk Hamett, John Petrucci, Joe Satriani, Slash, etc. All of these players seem to master the technical side of the guitar, but I cannot in any way accept these players as good guitar players. It takes more than just technique to make the guitar alive and kicking.

That's also why David Gilmour is my favorite guitar player. I literally grew up with him since I started to listen to Pink Floyd at an age of 8-9. All the years that I've been listening to music, no other band has ever given me the shivers down my spine the way Pink Floyd did. Gilmour's live playing is just simply amazing, he never plays anything wrong and his Fender always sounds so natural, and never exaggerated in the distortion area.

Here's what happens when a technical guitar player plays the song of an emotional guitar player:

Pink Floyd:

Kirk Hammet and some bassist then try to make their own version out of it:

Farfetched perhaps but I think my point comes across. Be sure to use a decent headset though, those effects on the bass guitar (Guy Pratt) will blow you away. (If you appreciate this kind of music though perhaps :))

Some more Gilmour playing: (And do notice the awesome sound of his Stratocaster)

(#0001 Stratocaster btw...)

(despite his age, he makes the whole show sound so alive with that amazing sounding black Strat)

Also, the Pulse tour by Pink Floyd ranks in my books as the best live performance ever.

Another player who I enjoy (and especially this song) is Eric Johnsson:

His best song in my opinion, this really creates images inside your head, love that effect created by music :cheers:

You're right Bram. In fact, you've convinced me to switch my previous Slash pick to Gilmour. Not because I think Slash is devoid of emotion - I don't think that's the case at all. But I just enjoy Gilmour's playing so much more.

I tend not to think of Pink Floyd when I think of awesome guitar because they have such a cohesive sound. The whole band is awesome and they all come together in such a way as to not really showcase any one particular aspect. I think that's why Gilmour fell off my radar despite the fact that I'm a huge Floyd fan.

Indeed. During the Pulse show, the band were using 2 guitars, a bass, 2 keyboard players, 2 drummers, 3 background vocals, and perhaps much more. The amount of instruments they use live is so immersive, that together with the live effects probably few bands can touch their live performance. Despite the amount of instruments used, Gilmour always comes forward during his solos. Oh man, if I only were at the Pulse show... but then again, back then I was only 5 years old, I'd probably be screaming when seeing flying pigs :lol:

Ok you guys here some vids of my last post:tup:

1.Steve Vai - Steve Vai - "For The Love Of God" - G3 1996 (just beautifull):)

2.John Petrucci in Dream Theater - The Dance Of Eternity - This one you all have to see till the end. This is what i call MUSIC:tup: Theres no more band playing like this:)

3. Kirk Hamett - 4 solos by Kirk Hammett

4. Gonçalo Pereira -Gonçalo Pereira Sessão Geleia live (some good Portuguese music:))

5. Kiko Loureiro (Angra) Kiko Loureiro - No Gravity (Live)

Hope you all enjoy :crazy:👍 All the Best

Last edited:
Some more Gilmour playing, but this time it's a kind of a video compilation of his playing. In this video he uses different guitars, but that black NOS Stratocaster remains my favourite guitar of all time. It sounds so amazing, and the tone is so clean, soft, yet hard and noisy at times. Also, Gilmour is without any doubt a master of string bending when it comes to guitar playing, and he really knows how to mix string bending with using the whammy bar. Third; when he plays that red Stratocaster in the video on "Shine on you crazy diamond" he actually uses his guitar to play multiple guitar layers, Pink Floyd listeners will definitly know what I am tlaking about now.

Anyway, this thread is nothing without YouTube:

... And the winners are... lol

1. Steve Vai (to me the best)
2. John Petrucci (my favourite) DREAM THEATER RULES!!!!! Best band ever:)
3. Kirk Hammet (Mettalica is always Mettalica:))
4. Gonçalo Pereira (one of the best in here in Portugal! check it out dudes!)
5. Kiko Loureiro

You add Vai and Hammet but not the man who tought them how to play? (Satriani)

And it's Metallica not Mettalica.

If you asked me, I would say...

1) Jimi Hendrix
2) Jimmy Page
3) Kirk Hammet
4) Lead Guitarist of Dream Theater err... Something Bertuzzi?
5) Joe Perry

These guys inspire my art of guitar playing.

Jimi Hendrix
Tommy Immanuel
Angus Young
Eddie Van Halen
Anyone that chooses a Gibson (any) they have a great sound

In no particular order, here's 5 I'd put in my Top Guitarist list, as of course there'd be more than just 5, but here's the ones that first came to mind.

1. Mark Knopfler
2. Alexi Laiho
3. Jimmy Page
4. Billy Corgan
5. Matt Bellamy

And an honourable mention to Steve Harris, the bassist of Iron Maiden as I'm not sure if he'd count as a guitarist, it being bass 'n all.

Anyone that chooses a Gibson (any) they have a great sound

A good guitar doesn't make you a good player. Give a Les Paul or a Stratocaster to someone who has never played guitar and he'll mess up the thing. Give professional players a crappy guitar, and they'll still "rock it".

You add Vai and Hammet but not the man who tought them how to play? (Satriani)

And it's Metallica not Mettalica.

Hammet no but Vai is way better than his teacher. And i know how to right METALLICA kid... :odd: it was a thing that you might heard of... mistake...

Last edited:
Hammet no but Vai is way better than his teacher. And i know how to right METALLICA kid... :odd: it was a thing that you might heard of... mistake...

Vai and Satriani both have very different style. I personally think Satriani is a bit more creative.

I take offense to the "kid" remark... That is a bit rude. Also if you are implying to be some kind of superior adult, you might want to spell "wright" correctly.

A good guitar doesn't make you a good player. Give a Les Paul or a Stratocaster to someone who has never played guitar and he'll mess up the thing. Give professional players a crappy guitar, and they'll still "rock it".

True true, I was being......doesn't matter.
A lot of good guitarist, that could fit into anyones top 5, DO choose Gibsons Sg's or Les Pauls, I just couldn't fit them into one spot on my choice list, that's all.
I certainly didn't mean to imply that anyone who chooses one of these guitars is going to good, even if what I wrote, read that way. I should have written it differently,:dunce:to get across what I was trying to say. No excuses you are completely correct in what YOU are saying.👍

Vai and Satriani both have very different style. I personally think Satriani is a bit more creative.

I take offense to the "kid" remark... That is a bit rude. Also if you are implying to be some kind of superior adult, you might want to spell "wright" correctly.

OK, off-topic but just to quell a pissing contest before it gets out of hand...it's "write."

On-topic, I like some of Vai's songs, mostly the stuff without vocals. I find Satriani, as you say, more creative, plus I prefer the entirely instrumental approach. I don't care for good guitar pieces ruined by mediocre singing.

I can't pick 5, there are too many styles to choose from, and all are good in their own right.

Adrian Legg does it all the time too. In fact, I've heard an unconfirmed rumour that he actually equips his guitars with indexed machine heads to make it easier.
Actually, I once read that Mr. Legg uses Banjo tuners so he can quickly move to "altered" tunings.

Also, as old as this thread is, I must apologize for not mentioning two of the greatest innovators to ever lay a finger on a guitar.
Les Paul
Andres Segovia

It's been so long that I don't know if either one has been mentioned.
Even if they have, it's about time to bring their names around again.

AND for those of you that dig great guitar players that no one has heard of:
Youtube up some Tom Prasada-Rao, Doyle Dykes, and Monte Montgomery.

Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

Oh, and to the last few guys that were flaming each other...While it's great to share your opinions, let's try to keep it civil.

Chris Wolstenholme FTW!

My fave bassist, one of if not the best bassist. The Osaka jam isj ust fraking amazing, by both Wolstenholme and Bellamy

I have to agree, Wolstenholm is just awesome. The Osaka jam is pretty awesome and something I hadn't seen before, I always like those cool riffs they do at the end of Stockholm Syndrome Live and New Born Live.

Sorry but a bit rude is someone like your self, that are always correcting everyone here lol :odd: remember that must of the people here dont have English as mother language! Its normal that some mistakes and errors may happen. I just find those corrections a bit annoying! Thats all about this matter 👍

After this we need a "Top 5 Bassists"

No point in doing that, Afro-american bassists beat the crap out of white bassists with only one hand:lol:. I think this is mainly due to their funk music, or maybe just because of my personal preferences, but I will always enjoy a black man playing the bass a zillion times more than a white man playing the bass.

TB
Psst! Add in "Except for Pako" QUICK!!!

:lol:

He might be strong, but he can't put his arm through his computer screen :P

Just a little, very bad and incredibly lame, joke there, but Pako and his band are an exeption of what I posted earlier as they seem to play some funky-ish styled music as well 👍

On that, here's my favourite bassist, Victor Wooten:

Oh god I love that jam with Wooten and Smith 👍

I have to agree, Wolstenholm is just awesome. The Osaka jam is pretty awesome and something I hadn't seen before, I always like those cool riffs they do at the end of Stockholm Syndrome Live and New Born Live.

Interesting thing about the Osaka jam is its now a regular feature in their setlists and is also the base for a song on the new album. The riffs at the end of stockholm syndrome and ne born are mostly RATM riffs with a bit of improv but still awesome nonetheless.

Interesting thing about the Osaka jam is its now a regular feature in their setlists and is also the base for a song on the new album. The riffs at the end of stockholm syndrome and ne born are mostly RATM riffs with a bit of improv but still awesome nonetheless.

Is that going the be the album coming up or one on Black Holes and Revelations? With the RATM riffs, the main thing which gets me about them is Muse seem to be the only band I know which, when live, is willing to add that much lib to them. It really seems like something fresh and different.

Now someone is going to come correct me and show me some old rock band which used to do lib in live gigs....

Latest Posts

Back