Who do Ford own?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NSX-R
  • 52 comments
  • 10,076 views
I thought Aston Martin and Jaguar were sold to Tata and Land Rover was sold back to BMW.
 
last time i checked Tata still owned land rover and also Mercury is no more Volvo now belongs to the Chinese company named Geely I am not sure if i spelled that correct.Ford trimed down and the remailning products are doing very well in the states now.
 
I thought Aston Martin and Jaguar were sold to Tata and Land Rover was sold back to BMW.


No, LR and Jag were sold to Tata. Aston Martin is independently onwed now.
 
I thought Aston Martin and Jaguar were sold to Tata and Land Rover was sold back to BMW.
Aston Martin shares were bought by various companies, mostly a couple Middle Eastern investment companies. Ford still has a small stake in it, but not very much.
 
I wasn't trolling. Just because someone digs up an old post doesn't mean their trolling.

No. But you also posted in a deliberately inflammatory manner, and are currently being belligerent about it. Perhaps not trolling, but certainly are sharing your opinion in the least intelligent manner possible.

Makes me wonder what Ford did to you? You get run over by a Super Duty or something?
 
This is almost as good as the GT-R thread....

That reminds me, I should dig that one up, there's a facelift on it's way with more power and such..
 
They don't. They even tossed around lawsuits at each other at one point, back when Shelby was in bed with Chrysler in the 80s but Ford continued to put Shelby names on Mustangs.

A friend at work actually owns one of those Mustangs. He has the only 4 cylender Turbo GT350 in Ontario. Straight out of the box it could take a 5.0, and out handle it no problem.
 
Range Rovers ARE Land Rovers, and bitching about one wrong word is pathetic.

But the terms cannot be used interchangeably. The company is Land Rover. Range Rover is merely a car made by them. One word difference, but that word happens to be important. One word is the difference between De Tomaso and De Lorean or between Vauxhall Corsa and Rosso Corsa.

Who owns Range Rover? Land Rover. Who owns Land Rover? Tata.
 
... Ford has an 11% stake in Mazda I believe...

For the moment. Word was that Ford was looking to dump their stake in Mazda, which is about as dumb as dumb gets if you ask me.


(Old) FoMoCo:

North America: Ford - Mercury - Lincoln
Premier Automotive Group: Aston Martin - Volvo - Jaguar - Land Rover
Global Partnership: Mazda


Ford managed to sell off Aston Martin to a bunch of buyers back in 2008, I believe a couple of private investment firms as well as Prodrive were some of the big names on the ticket. I've heard that Daimler is looking to buy a portion of the company, which could get very interesting. I believe Ford's stake in Aston Martin is less than 15% now.

Jaguar and Land Rover wen't to Tata shortly thereafter, and after some major cash injections, they have become moderately profitable. Something Ford was never able to do with either brand. Volvo was just recently sold off to Geely, which has always seemed odd, given the amount of technology that they had procured from the company.

The Mazda relationship has been one of the longest and the strongest in the company's history. It seems so strange that they would want to end it. First they sell off their controlling share, and now they are saying they want to get rid of all of it. When you think about how much Mazda tech has gone into their engine programs, it just seems silly.


So, in other words, Ford is owned by the Ford family and their shareholders. I believe they are one of just a few (major) automotive companies in the world that do not have a portion of the company owned by a federal government.
 
I believe the thinking at Ford is it no longer needs Mazda nor Volvo's expertise. I think they'll likely regret the decision, as Ford gained a great deal from both companies. I'm also hoping Mazda will manage to survive and still retain its innovative brilliance (if they'd only take care of the rust problems).

Anyway, for people geekily interested in auto manufacturer relationships, here's Jalopnik's Family Tree from August (already out of date):
http://jalopnik.com/5626658/who-owns-who-an-automaker-family-tree
 
Panoz Is also owned by Ford, or atleast have a deal with them like saleen.
 
Panoz is owned by Dan Panoz, they just source Ford engines for their cars.
 
I believe the thinking at Ford is it no longer needs Mazda nor Volvo's expertise. I think they'll likely regret the decision, as Ford gained a great deal from both companies. I'm also hoping Mazda will manage to survive and still retain its innovative brilliance (if they'd only take care of the rust problems).
The problem with holding onto Volvo is that they were losing a ton of money on the company constantly. I agree with the decision of getting rid of the company, because I don't think Volvo was contributing enough for it to be worthwhile.

Mazda, on the other hand, is a lot murkier. I can't think of any small car by Ford that didn't have heavy Mazda influence in its design (aside from maybe the Ka), so it seems almost suicidal to get rid of them now. They are so intricately linked in all of their cars (basically, everything smaller than the Taurus) that its just a weird idea.
 
Last edited:
In my view, Ford needs Mazda's small-car expertise while Mazda needs Ford's financial backing in order to make that engineering happen. I honestly don't think Ford can manage the design of small world cars by themselves.
 
In my view, Ford needs Mazda's small-car expertise while Mazda needs Ford's financial backing in order to make that engineering happen. I honestly don't think Ford can manage the design of small world cars by themselves.

Look at Europe, they can do it
 
The only problem is that most, if not all of the small Ford products have been co-developed with Mazda. I believe the new Focus is the first to go without, designed almost entirely in Europe and North America.
 
The only problem is that most, if not all of the small Ford products have been co-developed with Mazda. I believe the new Focus is the first to go without, designed almost entirely in Europe and North America.

What about the new Ka? If I recall right, Mazda has nothing in that size class.
 
Wasn't the new Ka developed by Fiat or something?
 
Indeed. And its suspension was updated by Ford themselves, no input from Mazda at all.. so, Ford doesn't need Mazda in order to make nippy little cars.
 
True, it doesn't, but the current Fiesta is quite significantly Mazda-based and it's a rather important car for them.

I'm sure they could have designed a Fiesta themselves from scratch but it would have cost them more at a time they were struggling and it probably wouldn't be as light as it is. The previous Fiesta was approaching bloated territory so a non-Mazda based successor might have been even more so.

And yeah, the Ka runs on the same platform as the 500.

Also, the thing about all other small Fords being co-developed with Mazda is only the case in recent years, in Europe at least. The Mk1 Focus, the Mk1, 2 and 3 Mondeos and the last gen Fiesta were all Ford developed. As was the Euro market Fusion, which Mazda then used for the last Demio/2. The Fiesta that I used to own was a Ford product too, which Mazda then badge-engineered into the 121. Which obviously meant that the Ka and Puma spin-offs were all Ford developed too.
 
Back