Who else is giving up on GT Sport?

• Thread starter Will Dias
  • 278 comments
Australia
Australia
Look, guys, I have been reading all I could and checking over details, practising as much as possible, but... When you work full-time and have kids and a wife and wanted to have a go on the game as you used to before, this game is just not fun at all!

I have been waiting like crazy to get this game, but now I have to pay for PS Plus monthly to arrive on online races where (maybe due to poor connection, I'd say) the other cars are constantly shifting around the track and - out of nothing - bang! Someone hits me, takes me out of the track, and after battling not to spin with the 911 RSR, I get 10 secs penalty... So far, 1 month playing every night to win only 3 races. I realise this is "almost" professional and seems very real but I just can't see myself developing on the game if I can't offer more than 30 minutes a day over it...

Is everyone having the same frustrations or is it just me? I'm so disappointed that I have placed my PS3 back on the TV so I can enjoy Spa-Francorchamps on a Lamborghini Miura...

Look, guys, I have been reading all I could and checking over details, practising as much as possible, but... When you work full-time and have kids and a wife and wanted to have a go on the game as you used to before, this game is just not fun at all!

I have been waiting like crazy to get this game, but now I have to pay for PS Plus monthly to arrive on online races where (maybe due to poor connection, I'd say) the other cars are constantly shifting around the track and - out of nothing - bang! Someone hits me, takes me out of the track, and after battling not to spin with the 911 RSR, I get 10 secs penalty... So far, 1 month playing every night to win only 3 races. I realise this is "almost" professional and seems very real but I just can't see myself developing on the game if I can't offer more than 30 minutes a day over it...

Is everyone having the same frustrations or is it just me? I'm so disappointed that I have placed my PS3 back on the TV so I can enjoy Spa-Francorchamps on a Lamborghini Miura...

If the cars are jittering and twitching around, it's internet. If it's just one car, it's there connection. If it's a lot of cars and all the time, it's yours. Make sure you are hardwired. Wi-Fi doesn't work good for gaming online.

Personally tho, I'm having a lot fun with the online racing.

You're spot on there, all cars are twitching around, should be my 4G connection. To make it worse, it's a new house with no plans of NBN hitting our house before May 2018 and only Telstra ADSL at the moment. I reckon GT Sport will be gone from my place soon, unfortunately...

I am in the same shoes. Two kids, wife and 60+ hr week job doesn't leave much time to play. This version is much harder than previous. I have played every version, with increasing affinity for the improvements. I went out and bought a PS4 Pro just to play Sport and I can't tell you how disappointed I am with it. I am still using a DS4, and using the buttons to boot. I tried the triggers, but that was too foreign. I am not giving up and still finding time to do at least the daily workout to get the free car (albeit with several duplicates). I have to sympathize with you, though!

Yes, Ron, that's my case too. Saved money for 2 years to get a 4K TV and a PS Pro, but every race makes me sweat to death as I am not sure who is the next to crash on me. I know it's not bad driving from myself as I have been taking seconds off the Gold licence times and have been qualifying quite well with some Pole Positions often... Last race, finished last after starting Brands Hatch in 5th, not fun at all...

You're spot on there, all cars are twitching around, should be my 4G connection. To make it worse, it's a new house with no plans of NBN hitting our house before May 2018 and only Telstra ADSL at the moment. I reckon GT Sport will be gone from my place soon, unfortunately...

I wish I knew a solution for you. I've known guys to use 4G and it work pretty good. I don't know if they ever played racing games tho. They were playing GTA

I am in the same shoes. Two kids, wife and 60+ hr week job doesn't leave much time to play. This version is much harder than previous. I have played every version, with increasing affinity for the improvements. I went out and bought a PS4 Pro just to play Sport and I can't tell you how disappointed I am with it. I am still using a DS4, and using the buttons to boot. I tried the triggers, but that was too foreign. I am not giving up and still finding time to do at least the daily workout to get the free car (albeit with several duplicates). I have to sympathize with you, though!

I too was a button smasher for 19 years of Gran Turismo, but after a couple weeks of buttons having no sensitivity settings I switched. I now use the right stick for throttle and brake and the left stick for steering and it has improved the gameplay for me. The shoulder buttons were also too foreign for me but using my thumbs still just in a different manner seems more comfortable.

Mate, I am the same position too, wife/kids/house to maintain etc, I've won 3 races and been playing since launch but I don't care about wins, I was on ADSL+2 and never had any issues with online gaming on GTS, actually is was pretty good for me, same as FIFA online games.... only difference is now I'm on FTTP which is a ton faster but tbh have not noticed that speed difference in gameplay, just download speed.

I'm enjoying the close DRC/SRS racing and knowing that I'm not going to be a Top 10 player ever dont pretend that I can or could be! I'm also on the DS4, dont have a wheel - BUT you know what, I take it for what it is and make the most of it. I use the left stick for steering and the triggers for brake/accelerate

I am also in the same boat, wife and kids. No poles and only 2 wins after playing everyday with DS4. I just enjoy the racing, doesn t matter if I'm battling for 3rd or 15th, of it is a clean battle no other game can compare make me smile as much as this one when battling someone

I also have a 60+ hour a week job and no PS Plus account to even play online but I spend the majority of my time with the livery editor and finding decals in "Discover". Driven about 650 miles. This game is not really for me but I look forward to some updates.

me... back to iRacing as my daily dose of online racing.

But one thing that I noticed while playing gts, my viewerships at youtube went high.

but at the moment gts just too arcadey for me

fia cup
- no tire degradation
- no fuel usage
- no cam lock
- bop went haywires
- no damage ( i can scrub all the wall at bathurst and still competetive )

We're not your therapist. Only you, OP, can decide the best use of your time. If that's Peggle or iRacing or something else that isn't GT Sport, that's great. Best of luck, sir.

Hi Mike... Not sure if you did read what I was talking about, I may have been venting out but no need for therapy, thanks. The smart guys have found what my issue is and the problem should be solved now, I know what to do and where to go. Best of luck elsewhere.

We're not your therapist. Only you, OP, can decide the best use of your time. If that's Peggle or iRacing or something else that isn't GT Sport, that's great. Best of luck, sir.
What a horrible attitude towards a guy just sharing some frustration in a polite and respectful way:tdown:

Hi Jp, perhaps you could enlighten us as to the interesting content/discussion a thread titled 'Who else is giving up on GT Sport?' is designed to provoke?

What a horrible attitude towards a guy just sharing some frustration in a polite and respectful way:tdown:

By 'much harder', are you talking about not winning that many races? The gameplay loop of Gran Turismo up to now has been grinding to upgrade a car until you can beat 5 AI opponents spread out in front of you to create an arbitrary challenge because the AI wasn't that good.

Wins are the exception rather than the norm in racing, so I could see how this change might irk longtime players. For controls, are you aware you can map the throttle to the right analog stick like in old GT games? Maybe that would help.

Last edited by a moderator:

I used the buttons since GT1, and loved have the pressure sensitive versions - pity they aren't anymore, but I think the triggers work well, I have heard they can wear out easy, but I only just bought my PS4 for GTS, everything still brand new.

Try motion/ tilt steering!! After playing a few simple tilt racing games on my phone, I knew I didn't want to try it, but after reading the comments on this forum, I tried it and haven't gone back! (my gf noticed how much quieter it is than sticks too!)

Joining a league (Race on Oz) made a great difference!

Lots of things about the online system could (and hopefully will) be fixed, but that's not really the crux of the "problem" with GT Sport.

It is, after all, a totally different beast. It's a game that can definitely be lauded for a lot of its design decisions, even in the "campaign", and it feels like everything is tuned toward getting you online and not being a total [edited, no kind words here] about it. But that comes at a major cost. This isn't the GT we've all been playing for the last 20 years.

It's not supposed to be, either, but I feel like it had to be known by the devs going in that this would divide the fan base. The razor focus of it is alienating and even the format promotes routine daily driving in excess of an hour to really get to the meat of it (online races). That's not even touching on the fact that this is not the rolling encyclopedia we're used to, and features are scaled back heavily.

To the OP, I haven't had the same issues online with stuttering cars (some, but rare and inconsequential), that really sucks. Have you tried the custom race lobbies? You may find a more traditional GT experience in there in terms of quick and dirty (but hopefully not dirty) racing, and with far more control over settings. Something to consider.

Take my advice. Race only with GT4 cars. More control, less practice and more competitive.

Even if i had only 30mins then 15 mins for good qualifying which will place you in Top 7 maybe. Should be a good race there.

same here. sold my copy of GTS.

main reason,

GTS understeer and oversteer physics is meh
mediocre tyre model ( no physical tyre degradation, tyre pressure, tyre temperature)
bad implementation of SR rating
online saving + PS plus subscription

i would probably pickup a used copy in the future if DLC of JDM cars rolled in. Until then, im not interested in any part of it.

I have plenty of time to play and I’m at like a 40% win rate for daily races. Done about 165 of them and I’m still on the verge of giving up on the game... I think when I get the last two trophies I need to platinum the game, I’m going to look elsewhere until they come out with some new content online. It is just so boring to wait that long inbetween races... and if I’m being completely honest the races themselves are getting worse and worse each day. Two One Make Races with terrible cars no one wants to use and one Gr.3 race... where is the variety at? Where is the competitive drifting at? Where is the competitive drag racing at? Just add options for different gamers, it’s far too ONE DIMENSIONAL!

I know what you mean OP. With wife,kids and a business to run, I have very limited time to play GTS. When I do have time, its important that it’s with quality.

So far, I just don’t find this iteration very enjoyable and content just doesn’t appeal to me. Hence, I simply don’t make time for GTS and rarely boot it up anymore.

I’m just hoping that new DLC will inspire me to get back into being competitive in GT again.

sorry to hear this, OP.
i personally enjoy the hell out of GTS. i'm single (at least from my point of view, dont ask some of the girls i'm seeing) and lucky to have a job which pays pretty good but does not require me to work the hours you mentioned. so i have plenty of time for my hobbies and coming from years of single player campaign racing games i really embrace GTS for what it tries to be and i also think that the future is bright for this one. Had FM7 and got a refund because it felt dull so quckly. I was doing AI races all over again, collecting the same cars all over again, just going through the motions, you know?
for those missing single player content in GTS: i also think they will at some point introduce more single player conent as soon as the whole online experience is where they want it to be.

It's not working right most of time, and I hope they fix it, along with a better single player experience and more cars and tracks.

But sometimes, it gives a great online experience if you can avoid the punters. Today I gave up first place to a driver I rear ended and knocked off the track with no penalty to myself. He braked earlier than I thought he would. He came in first, I came in second. He thanked me for it in the texts. To me, that's the kind of experience that makes the game worthwhile and it's the fault of the players as much as the developers that it happens so rarely. My SR did not go up, by the way. The least they could do is give a specific, comprehensive explanation of the SR and penalty rules.

Penalties must be assessed and taken immediately, not at the driver's convenience, for one thing.

Cheers to all, and give it a chance. They delivered a flawed, incomplete product but I believe the company has tried to test its penalty system in the Beta and the product and will prioritize its repair.

I've did all single player and everything and just kinda left it at that.
While not doing much in my real life either but it's just like well that was fun for a bit and now on to other things.
Yeah, that's the exact same with me.

So far, 1 month playing every night to win only 3 races. I realise this is "almost" professional and seems very real but I just can't see myself developing on the game if I can't offer more than 30 minutes a day over it...
If you don't learn to love the racing aspect (and not just the winning), then this game is unfortunately not for you.

The thing I love the most about GTS is the close racing between equal drivers. Most of the time I've been lucky enough to race people with proper racing skills that understands how racing works. We wait for opportunities and exploit your competitors failures, and at the same time give space when a driver does a risky move. Also, very few of us can win most of the races, but (at least I) still love the racing. It feels better to win a race when it only happens say once every 5 or 10 races.

i second PrinceMG.
it feels way more rewarding to finish 10 out of 20 in a mp race and having had some close but clean racing than having to bump your way from 12 to 1 in a three laps AI race where, when you dont finish first, it feels like a waste of time.
to me, although the content is still sparse in GTS, its way more enjoyable than what a traditional sp career mode offers and if you don't embrace that, then yes, the game is not for you but thats okay.

Hi Will,

First of all, welcome to GT Planet mate. You'll find most of us are a friendly bunch, ready to help out anyway we can.

Unfortunately, us Aussies have one of the worst broadband internet networks the entire planet.

If you do a Ping Test to the northern Hemisphere, you'll see why the opponents cars are jittering all over the place & you're getting unloaded off the track.

I've spoken with other Aussies that were disconnected by the host(s) of a racing room(s), simply because of the inherent lag issues we have.

Unfortunately, I don't think our new NBN will be much better.

Sorry GTS didn't work out for you & I hope you get a suitable racing fix with that Muira.

Back