Who else is giving up on GT Sport?

• Thread starter Will Dias
  • 278 comments
I am at a crossroad...
I too don’t have PSPlus but it is currently free for a week; so I am now attempting sports mode.
My decision to make is if I want to invest my time into getting platinum. Naturally, this is something I want to achieve, but it does require a few online trophies. I am not doing too great in the races so far, so I don’t see myself winning many or pole sitting many in the near future. Hence, the decision to buy PSPlus and pursue platinum. The jury is still out.

Having said that, I am enjoying Campaign mode and playing in VR... so all is not lost on me.

Please can you help me? I don’t know if this is the correct thread. I enter races (one make) only thing you’re able to change is traction (I put it on 2) I understand others may be better drivers with racing lines, braking points but can you explain why I’m driving on the long straight on Tokyo Express Way - East Outer Loop, position 9th, top gear (6th) as changed up when red lining it, I’m in the slip stream of 8th position and positions 9, 10, 11 pass me like I’ve my foot on the brake and then disappear about 3 seconds in front?

If it was braking, racing line or they’ve set up better I’d understand but we were all equal as I explained in the race and it was on a long straight. It’s so disheartening always coming last and makes you feel like you’ve wasted money on the purchase. What am I doing wrong?

Please can you help me? I don’t know if this is the correct thread. I enter races (one make) only thing you’re able to change is traction (I put it on 2) I understand others may be better drivers with racing lines, braking points but can you explain why I’m driving on the long straight on Tokyo Express Way - East Outer Loop, position 9th, top gear (6th) as changed up when red lining it, I’m in the slip stream of 8th position and positions 9, 10, 11 pass me like I’ve my foot on the brake and then disappear about 3 seconds in front?

If it was braking, racing line or they’ve set up better I’d understand but we were all equal as I explained in the race and it was on a long straight. It’s so disheartening always coming last and makes you feel like you’ve wasted money on the purchase. What am I doing wrong?

Maybe broken controller/pedals if you are losing tons on straights. Check your inputs in qualifying, maybe the brake is stuck on a bit or the throttle is only half engaged.

Maybe broken controller/pedals if you are losing tons on straights. Check your inputs in qualifying, maybe the brake is stuck on a bit or the throttle is only half engaged.
I’m using g29 wheel and pedals, accelerator is as far down as it’ll allow.

I’m using g29 wheel and pedals, accelerator is as far down as it’ll allow.

Is it registering as full throttle in game though, maybe there is some dirt in them or the spring is broken. Or is the brake applying itself a tiny amount? I've seen others post of their issues with these pedals, that seems the likely cause.

I've did all single player and everything and just kinda left it at that.
While not doing much in my real life either but it's just like well that was fun for a bit and now on to other things.

You already beat the single player?

I wish I had that much time. Now it's just 1 race a day and one section of missions a day.

Is it registering as full throttle in game though, maybe there is some dirt in them or the spring is broken. Or is the brake applying itself a tiny amount? I've seen others post of their issues with these pedals, that seems the likely cause.
I’m getting golds in driving school (I’m up to lesson 25), all golds in mission challenge (I’m on stage 4), and all golds so far on circuit experience (completed 7 tracks so far), so I think pedals are functioning properly or is online sport mode a totally different thing regards car physics speed and handling?

Me, as of now. Major let down having to observe how people are driving lately.
Hope the penalty system will be fixed soon, cause I actually enjoyed the game very very much.
Agree about penalty system, I just had a car on the outside of a bend turn straight into the side of mine and I got 10 sec slow down for what I can see only being on the racing line, any ideas?!

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to get over the "I must win every race" and just enjoy the racing.

My rules are :

1. If the car behind is faster move to the left and let them overtake. (Sometimes they still hit you.)

2. Start the race slowly don't take first place two soon and keep behind the car you want to overtake and apply the pressure and they will most likely crash.

3. Cars if you want to win in Gr.3 use VW beetle or Porsche.

Look, guys, I have been reading all I could and checking over details, practising as much as possible, but... When you work full-time and have kids and a wife and wanted to have a go on the game as you used to before, this game is just not fun at all!

I have been waiting like crazy to get this game, but now I have to pay for PS Plus monthly to arrive on online races where (maybe due to poor connection, I'd say) the other cars are constantly shifting around the track and - out of nothing - bang! Someone hits me, takes me out of the track, and after battling not to spin with the 911 RSR, I get 10 secs penalty... So far, 1 month playing every night to win only 3 races. I realise this is "almost" professional and seems very real but I just can't see myself developing on the game if I can't offer more than 30 minutes a day over it...

Is everyone having the same frustrations or is it just me? I'm so disappointed that I have placed my PS3 back on the TV so I can enjoy Spa-Francorchamps on a Lamborghini Miura...

If you get your internet straightened out join a good clean racing league. It's really the only way you are going to get rid of the thugs ramming you. You will need a good connection though. It wouldn't be fair for you to be skipping all over the other drivers screens. You can upgrade to the Netflix 4k UHD
subscription for an extra $2 a month to help you enjoy your new TV.

I'm not giving up on it yet.

However, it's become painfully obvious that they are hamstringing us along because of lack of content. So few cars and tracks in the game. How can they help keep people playing longer before getting tired of it? Have the sport mode only trophies. Have just 3 races per hour to severely slow down trophy acquisitions. Try and 'keep things fresh' with new combos everyday, which also means less time to get a hotlap and dominate many races in a row (again to slow trophy acquisitions). It's pretty sad, but thankfully I know lots of guys to race/chat with online.

Jerome

Last edited:
I have fun in Sport mode when I get in a well matched race. But most of the time I’m either way faster than all but 1 or 2 guys or I’m matched with guys lapping 3-4 seconds faster per lap. Hopefully matchmaking gets tweaked. I would prefer more closely matched lobbies at the expense of a full field.

Obviously there are issues with the SR system (too easy to level up and too easy to game the system). Hopefully this will also be worked on.

My biggest complaint is the lack of races and diversity in Sport mode. Not to mention the long wait in between races. You shoul be able to finish a race, go back to the race menu and jump in another race within 10 minutes. The decisions on tracks and cars has been pretty terrible too. One make races with terrible cars as two of the dailies is just silly.

Lastly, the physics are pretty questionable. Tire modeling is complete trash and everything else feels arcadey.

I’m not giving up on the game because it has so much potential. PD just needs to get all the issues sorted. In the meantime I’m going to pick up Project Cars 2 and see what that’s all about. Variety never hurts.

I too have the family lifestyle contending with my GTS time, and have been playing the series since the '96 demo with the NSX, Stingray 'Vette and WRX on Clubman Rt5. With the exception of GT6 I've played them all too (Gen 1 PS3 died). What I'm getting at is that I too was disappointed when I brought this game home from the pre-order.

I also felt this way after getting Project CARS a few years back after being a GT guy since before I had a license in real life. Too limited, the GT series was the benchmark. But I've thought a bit about it and Sport has its own niche. I believe PD is going to take care of us Campaigners soon with a 'legit' GT title based off the GTS we have now. I'm thinking its been called 'Sport' vs GT7 because it is such a departure from their usual, and I don't think PD is necessarily going to take away what's brought us all here for so long- the single player aspect. I'm feeling GTS is a solid attempt of PD to bring everyone who'd try car racing together. Obviously it isn't perfect.

On a similar note, I had been stuck at a DR-C and SR-B/C for a long time, thanks to the trolls and kids who want to play bumper cars or win at all costs. Really, really, painfully frustrating it annoys you to the point of ragequit and beyond. So I tried something else and just ran in races and avoided contact at all costs. I had more than a few last place finishes, but the SR went up real nice. Basically, all I'm getting at is if you can find some luck and patience to get up to SR-S, its a very fun game again. But yeah, you definitely need the good connection to get the best out of all that.

Sorry about the rant, but I just wanted to give some context to my eventual acceptance of what game we have now since I basically felt the same as you up until recently. Another thought: lobbies are basically free-for-all, watch out!

We're not your therapist. Only you, OP, can decide the best use of your time. If that's Peggle or iRacing or something else that isn't GT Sport, that's great. Best of luck, sir.

From the guy with a D DR who slammed on the brakes right before the finish to try to cause those behind to get a penalty.

From the guy with a D DR who slammed on the brakes right before the finish to try to cause those behind to get a penalty.
Hey dude that was totally my fault. I was expecting to get a message actually.

I was trying to serve a penalty and was only aware of the car on the left of a 3 way sandwich.

Hope you’re okay. I’ll make sure to have my radar on in that stage of the race. DR is an indication of speed vs those matched against you by he way, not of safe driving. Cheers and see you out there

Look, guys, I have been reading all I could and checking over details, practising as much as possible, but... When you work full-time and have kids and a wife and wanted to have a go on the game as you used to before, this game is just not fun at all!

I have been waiting like crazy to get this game, but now I have to pay for PS Plus monthly to arrive on online races where (maybe due to poor connection, I'd say) the other cars are constantly shifting around the track and - out of nothing - bang! Someone hits me, takes me out of the track, and after battling not to spin with the 911 RSR, I get 10 secs penalty... So far, 1 month playing every night to win only 3 races. I realise this is "almost" professional and seems very real but I just can't see myself developing on the game if I can't offer more than 30 minutes a day over it...

Is everyone having the same frustrations or is it just me? I'm so disappointed that I have placed my PS3 back on the TV so I can enjoy Spa-Francorchamps on a Lamborghini Miura...

"Having a go" on GT Sport is obviously much different from previous GT games. PD and Kaz have been very clear this will be very different from all previous games in the series. For better or worse, it is what it is.

Purchase a year of PS Plus for $60, that is only $5 per month (USD $0.17 per day) . Pretty cheap by most standards... and PS Plus gives you much more than online racing.

I understand the frustration of being crashed and penalized for no fault of your own. But those who are banging into you are also banging into most other drivers, so we all have to deal with those people.

If you are having difficulty with the 911 RSR, maybe try another car? Just trying to help.

Being honest and reasonable about my own experience with GT Sport, the only real frustrations I'm having are with the spinning and fish-tailing, it's nearly impossible to recover, also the track edge and runoff areas are incredibly slippery. I don't think they should be just as grippy as the tarmac, but they shouldn't feel like grease either. Everything else I might gripe about, I am willing to wait for patches or game updates/new content. So my answer is no, I am not giving up on GT Sport. Not yet :D

Finally, I liked "waiting like crazy"... how does one do that? LOL that made me chuckle, thanks :D

Well if it goes like now:

I cant race dailys because its one in a hour!!!!!!! And if i cant race online races there is no reason for me to play the game.

Example i want to do the gr3 daily missed it 19:25 so now i have to wait till 20:25...... so i start up a other game now because i cant race.

Well if it goes like now:

I cant race dailys because its one in a hour!!!!!!! And if i cant race online races there is no reason for me to play the game.

Example i want to do the gr3 daily missed it 19:25 so now i have to wait till 20:25...... so i start up a other game now because i cant race.
You still can Race the one make races online there is not only gr.3 races which provide thrilling races.

Its just you. GT is a game for car lovers always has been. Sport is a game for car and racing lovers. People who don't like Sport just don't like racing or as much as they thought they did. I can't go back to GT6 or any games racing against A.I. anymore.

Its just you. GT is a game for car lovers always has been. Sport is a game for car and racing lovers. People who don't like Sport just don't like racing or as much as they thought they did. I can't go back to GT6 or any games racing against A.I. anymore.
This is complete and utter rubbish. I have watched and enjoyed motorsport for as long as I can remember, getting on for 40 years, and have actively taken part in online racing in games for the past 12 years. GTS does not do it for me. That's got nothing to do with me and everything to do with GTS.

It really does get tiring to read people blaming those who have issues with the game.

Last edited:
i play because of immersion. not even thinking that I must win everytime I enter sports mode.

This is complete and utter rubbish. I have watched and enjoyed motorsport for as long as I can remember, getting on for 40 years, and have actively taken part in online racing in games for the past 12 years. GTS does not do it for me. That's got nothing to do with me and everything to do with GTS.
So you have a problem with the actual racing aspect of the game?

...it's far to repetitive ...

racing is inherently repetitive

and I'm not slighting your other complaints, but racing is about the unattainable perfect lap and the repetition needed to reach it. I know for a fact that you don't have Nurburgring memorized yet you're saying that you need more tracks than that.

in truth, you want more diversity because practice is boring to you.

and that's fine. tons of other games make it a point to entrain and dazzle you beyond the rote rigor of practice.

I used the buttons since GT1, and loved have the pressure sensitive versions - pity they aren't anymore, but I think the triggers work well, I have heard they can wear out easy, but I only just bought my PS4 for GTS, everything still brand new.

Me too. Started GTS with buttons and then switched to triggers when I twigged the buttons aren't pressure sensitive any more. Though as many other games use triggers for go/stop, then it was pretty easy to bet used to. Makes life a bit easier to feather the throttle for a start. Still debating on if I should ask Santa fir a G29...

Back