Who else wants Codemasters to lose their F1 rights?

Would you rather have a different maker of the F1 games?

• Total voters
If EA got the licence again they would be spreading their Ultimate Team stuff everywhere. With 2 drivers? i could imagine it, ZOMG TOTY Lewis Hamilton in this pack! or LEGEND CARD SENNA! (nuclear explosion) the racing sim gamers will turn into those FIFA guys who spend thousands to find a Lionel Messi with 99 stats or whatever.

Then those videos will be no gameplay all pack openings

If EA got the licence again they would be spreading their Ultimate Team stuff everywhere. With 2 drivers? i could imagine it, ZOMG TOTY Lewis Hamilton in this pack! or LEGEND CARD SENNA! (nuclear explosion) the racing sim gamers will turn into those FIFA guys who spend thousands to find a Lionel Messi with 99 stats or whatever.

Then those videos will be no gameplay all pack openings
It sounds like more of a gimmick for an F1 game, to be honest. I mean it works well for FIFA, but it'd make no sense for the current F1 games where you play as the driver only.

Of course, EA would likely cash in on the F1 rights and release a separate F1 manager game.

I personally feel they focus all their collective strengths on Dirt or a rally simulator.

F1 isn't their best suite. I remember the 97' F1 game that came out on the PS1 with Joe Satriani tracks and Murray Walker's commentary.

Probably the best F1 game I've experienced on a console. Really alive with F1 atmosphere. Great game.

Yes f1 97 was very well done but they drastically dropped the ball when they released f1 98. F1 99 was very enjoyable to IMO. But the most realistic f1 game/s to date would have to be Geoff Crammonds GP series. Oh btw it was Psygnosis that made f1 95,97,98,99 not codemasters.

Oh btw it was Psygnosis that made f1 95,97,98,99 not codemasters.
Nope.

They made:
  • Formula 1 (1996 release)
  • Formula 1 1997
  • Formula 1 1998
  • Formula 1 99
  • Formula 1 2000
I mean it's close, but still wrong. After they changed to Studio Liverpool they also made:
  • Formula 1 2001
  • Formula 1 2002
  • Formula 1 2003
  • F1 04
  • F1 05
  • F1 06
  • Formula 1 Championship edition
It's a shame they shut up shop after wipEout 2048 :indiff:

Nope.

They made:
  • Formula 1 (1996 release)
  • Formula 1 1997
  • Formula 1 1998
  • Formula 1 99
  • Formula 1 2000
I mean it's close, but still wrong. After they changed to Studio Liverpool they also made:
  • Formula 1 2001
  • Formula 1 2002
  • Formula 1 2003
  • F1 04
  • F1 05
  • F1 06
  • Formula 1 Championship edition
It's a shame they shut up shop after wipEout 2048 :indiff:

What's wrong? I know formula one was released in 96 but it was based on the 95 season. 2000 was also made by ea, 2000 was the last one Psygnosis made I beleive as after that Sony itself got the contract, along with ea who made poor f1 games IMO. You could not play them on a controller as handling was rediculous. F1 CE is f1 06 just the PS3 version and that game still holds its own IMO, still enjoy playing that.

What's wrong? I know formula one was released in 96 but it was based on the 95 season. 2000 was also made by ea, 2000 was the last one Psygnosis made I beleive as after that Sony itself got the contract, along with ea who made poor f1 games IMO. You could not play them on a controller as handling was rediculous. F1 CE is f1 06 just the PS3 version and that game still holds its own IMO, still enjoy playing that.
  • It's not actually 1995
  • EA made F1 2000, Studio Liverpool (which was born from Psygnosis being taken over by Sony) made Formula 1 2000
  • Yeah but it's still an independent game, that's why I added it to that list.

Codemasters is not even on my list of "prized racing sim developers", unless they wow us with a certain rally sim that's coming out on consoles next year.

I think that's what they did with DiRT Rally? A surprise out of nowhere ? :)

(Yes, I know two separate teams)

Anyway, I doubt they'll ever try to make it a Sim. I'm fine with that .. sort of.

The only game I think that's worth buying was F1 2013. Because now I want a mix of Graphics from 2015 (if not better) with Classic cars and a proper Career mode (as in with my own driver)

Yes f1 97 was very well done but they drastically dropped the ball when they released f1 98. F1 99 was very enjoyable to IMO. But the most realistic f1 game/s to date would have to be Geoff Crammonds GP series. Oh btw it was Psygnosis that made f1 95,97,98,99 not codemasters.

Psygnosis.. YEAH! Good memory!

Owning the PS1 gave me some of my best gaming years - F1 97 had such a positive F1 motorsport vibe to it. Physics were decent at the time, engine sounds were very well done.. and that KILLER soundtrack! Got you in the mood for racing. It's the game's soundtrack that inspired me to start listening to guitar solos... been a fan of J.Satriani and S.Vai since. :D

I think that's what they did with DiRT Rally? A surprise out of nowhere ? :)

(Yes, I know two separate teams)

Anyway, I doubt they'll ever try to make it a Sim. I'm fine with that .. sort of.

The only game I think that's worth buying was F1 2013. Because now I want a mix of Graphics from 2015 (if not better) with Classic cars and a proper Career mode (as in with my own driver)

I read up a dev interview of Dirt Rally and it is a full on rally sim, at least that's what they say. They're going to keep that formula intact by the time it comes out on consoles.

• It's not actually 1995
  • EA made F1 2000, Studio Liverpool (which was born from Psygnosis being taken over by Sony) made Formula 1 2000
  • Yeah but it's still an independent game, that's why I added it to that list.

Wtf? It was the 95 season Schumacher was at Benetton and won 9 races that year setting a record equal with Nigel mansell at the time for most wins in a season. 96 he moved to Ferrari. And it had Adelaide for the Australian Grand Prix before it moves to Melbourne. It may have come out in 96 and made by a independent company or whatever but it certainly was based on the 95 season.

Wtf? It was the 95 season Schumacher was at Benetton and won 9 races that year setting a record equal with Nigel mansell at the time for most wins in a season. 96 he moved to Ferrari. And it had Adelaide for the Australian Grand Prix before it moves to Melbourne. It may have come out in 96 and made by a independent company or whatever but it certainly was based on the 95 season.
My point is it isn't called 1995, or 1996 for that matter.

Here are two games that my shed some light on the debate or add to the......
The first is Formula 1 this game had Adelaide in it. This was the very first game released for the PS1.

DSCF0068.JPG

DSCF0072.JPG

Last edited:
This was released the following year.
Formula 1 Championship Edition. This game hast Melbourne it and featured M.Schumacher in his last year(scratch) first year at Ferrari not Benetton.

DSCF0069.JPG

DSCF0073.JPG

Last edited:
That's incorrect, the first one is the 95 season with for some reason has the 1992 Benetton on the front with Schumacher and the second is f1 97. Melbourne didn't join the championship until 96 and Schumacher was at Ferrari then. Do some research and have a look.
Here I've done it for you.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Formula_One_season

Heck the second one you posted, bottom left hand corner under "huge collisions" IS Schumacher in a Ferrari colliding with Johnny Herbert's Sauber. Just have a closer look at your game. Trust me, I've watched every single f1 race since 1990, saw schumachers whole career Iam correct lol.

Last edited:
I played the daylights out of the Championship edition.
I played the full race length with all the difficulties on.

I played it so much I forgot that Alesi had changed from Ferrari to Benetton.

Yep they swapped both Gerhard Berger and Jean Alesi for Schumacher and just chucked in Eddie Irvine who was useless until he had the whole team behind him in 1999 when Schumacher was out with a broken leg. Nearly won the 99 title but schumi came back in time to spoil the party lol.

I just want a F1 game featuring classic F1s from the 80s to late 90s and F1 2013 did a good job but lately they didn't brought back classic F1s in F12014 and F12015. And even though they featured famous classic F1s like the Williams FW14, Ferrari F92A, Lotus 98T, etc. but they still missed some of the classic F1s. So hopefully they revise the classic F1 lineup like this:

80s F1 Legends

Lotus 101T
Drivers: Satoru Nakajima and Nelson Piquet
McLaren MP4-4
Drivers: Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost
Williams FW11
Drivers: Nigel Mansell and Riccardo Patrese
Ferrari F1/87
Drivers: Gerhard Berger and Michele Alboreto
Benetton B188
Drivers: Thierry Boutsen and Johnny Herbert
Williams FW12
Drivers: Martin Brundle and Jean-Louis Schlesser

90's F1 Legends
Mclaren MP4-7A
Drivers: Ayrton Senna and Gerhard Berger
Williams FW14-B
Ferrari F92A
Drivers: Jean Alesi and Ivan Capelli
Benetton B194
Drivers: Michael Schumacher and JJ Lehto
Williams FW18
Drivers: Damon Hill and Jacques Villenueve
Mclaren MP4-11
Drivers: Mika Hakkinen and David Coulthard

F1 2013 did a poor job at this IMO. Why tease us like that? Give us a full scale championship from 1990-2000 with full seasons of cars and circuits from there respected years. What would even be more fun is if you could do scenarios from certain years like charge through the field with senna at Donington or schumi at Catalunya in 96. Hakkinen catch up and pass Villeneuve in Jerez 97 for his maiden win or schumis epic drive in Hungary 98 after a three stop strategy. Things like this would be epic.

F1 2013 did a poor job at this IMO. Why tease us like that? Give us a full scale championship from 1990-2000 with full seasons of cars and circuits from there respected years. What would even be more fun is if you could do scenarios from certain years like charge through the field with senna at Donington or schumi at Catalunya in 96. Hakkinen catch up and pass Villeneuve in Jerez 97 for his maiden win or schumis epic drive in Hungary 98 after a three stop strategy. Things like this would be epic.
I only care about the cars actually. Besides the AI is already hard for me. I can remember making a custom championship using Berger and his Ferrari (because it looks good) and during the GP, it was intense and I finished 2nd (3pts away from first.).

Edit:
They should add base models for online GPs.

I just want a F1 game featuring classic F1s from the 80s to late 90s and F1 2013 did a good job but lately they didn't brought back classic F1s in F12014 and F12015. And even though they featured famous classic F1s like the Williams FW14, Ferrari F92A, Lotus 98T, etc. but they still missed some of the classic F1s. So hopefully they revise the classic F1 lineup like this:

80s F1 Legends

Lotus 101T
Drivers: Satoru Nakajima and Nelson Piquet
McLaren MP4-4
Drivers: Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost
Williams FW11
Ferrari F1/87
Drivers: Gerhard Berger and Michele Alboreto
Benetton B188
Drivers: Thierry Boutsen and Johnny Herbert
Williams FW12
Drivers: Martin Brundle and Jean-Louis Schlesser

90's F1 Legends
Mclaren MP4-7A
Drivers: Ayrton Senna and Gerhard Berger
Williams FW14-B
Ferrari F92A
Drivers: Jean Alesi and Ivan Capelli
Benetton B194
Drivers: Michael Schumacher and JJ Lehto
Williams FW18
Drivers: Damon Hill and Jacques Villenueve
Mclaren MP4-11
Drivers: Mika Hakkinen and David Coulthard

You can enjoy doing that in F5 and 6! They're pretty accurate. Enjoy. :D

You can enjoy doing that in F5 and 6! They're pretty accurate. Enjoy. :D
I tried. It still lacks Williams, old Ferraris, and other F1 manufacturers. They may have added Senna's MP4-4 but still lack competition without Mansell's and Berger's F1.

Now I know it may sound idiotic but I wouldn't mind seeing 2K Games use the F1 license. They did a good job on adding old teams in their NBA 2K series.

I tried. It still lacks Williams, old Ferraris, and other F1 manufacturers. They may have added Senna's MP4-4 but still lack competition without Mansell's and Berger's F1.

Now I know it may sound idiotic but I wouldn't mind seeing 2K Games use the F1 license. They did a good job on adding old teams in their NBA 2K series.
I'm willing to bet it's more difficult to get licenses for old F1 teams than it is old NBA teams.

Back