Who loves Brussels Sprouts?

• Thread starter Saidur_Ali
  • 162 comments

Who loves Brussels Sprouts?

• Total voters
Methods of preparation have been discussed but the poll doesn't specify.

That isnt a legitimate reason to not like them. It's called seasoning. A lot of foods need seasoning. Potatoes, meat, fish, mushrooms etc.

I'm not saying people can't like them on their own but there is a lot of evidence of people qualifying that they like them with other things which would otherwise taste great anyway, sprouts or no sprouts.

I like them, but they need to be well peeled and with a sprinkling of old Edammer cheese.

I enjoy them, but as has been indicated, their quality is heavily influenced by preparation.

I really enjoy them! Especially fried and then back in a pan with some honey and bacon similair to the recipe above!

alp
I like them a bit boiled and served with olive oil or gravy.

Pan frying with some chili flakes, a liberal dash of salt, and then topping on the plate with a shredded sharp cheddar is my go-to, but I'll gladly eat them without cheese now. They need to get a little blackened too. I went from hating them to them being one of my favourite veggies, right behind asparagus.

While I don't hate them, I wouldn't say I love them. I can even tolerate them not smothered in butter and salt too, but I wouldn't go out of my way to make or order them. If they're already in something, I'll just eat em because they're there.

The best way I've had them though is in olive oil with some rosemary and thyme on them.

Add in some crumbed chestnuts (cooked of course) and they are even better.

I recommend to stirfry with black bean sauce.

This. I don't like them all that much outside of this usage, but I love to make a citrus slaw with them, and put it on fish tacos.

There are a few people who have posted that they quite simply like them but there have been more people with a slightly more "Yes but..." response.

To use a political analogy: Sprouts Means Sprouts! No Preparation Sprouts. You either like them alone or don't. We demand a people's vote on Sprouxit.

I'm not saying people can't like them on their own but there is a lot of evidence of people qualifying that they like them with other things which would otherwise taste great anyway, sprouts or no sprouts.

There are a few people who have posted that they quite simply like them but there have been more people with a slightly more "Yes but..." response.
I mean, gastronomy and the culinary arts are...a thing.

Have you ever eaten a piece of meat simply boiled in water until you could be sure it was safe for consumption? Did you actually enjoy it?

Do Americans call blue cheese bleu? And if you're saying "bleu" then why say "cheese" instead of "fromage"? And blue cheese isn't healthy by any means, bacon's around 13% fat while fromage bleu is around 30%. Both delicious for that reason :D

13% for every three slices

"Yes but... I like them cooked and seasoned much like I do with most anything I eat." ?

Sprouts pizza

iu

I mean, gastronomy and the culinary arts are...a thing.

Have you ever eaten a piece of meat simply boiled in water until you could be sure it was safe for consumption? Did you actually enjoy it?
You can prefer one base ingredient to another though, like preferring meat to sprouts. To me the bitter taste of sprouts is something to be disguised, not enhanced like meat.

You can prefer one base ingredient to another though, like preferring meat to sprouts. To me the bitter taste of sprouts is something to be disguised, not enhanced like meat.
Of course you can; what I was addressing was the notion that one only truly likes something if they like it as it stands alone.

HA I killed the 50/50 balance!
Brussels Sprouts are disgusting, Broccoli on the other hand is the king of vegetables!

Are we still talking about Brussels sprouts? Because I like them.

I also like burgers, but that's a whole another topic altogether.

I do very much enjoy Brussels sprouts, but the prospect of cooking the crap out of them and mashing...frankly it turns my stomach. More power to you if that's what you enjoy, though.

I do very much enjoy Brussels sprouts, but the prospect of cooking the crap out of them and mashing...frankly it turns my stomach. More power to you if that's what you enjoy, though.

You only cook them for a couple of minutes, when then potatoes are pretty much done.

Back