Who's using a wheel vs a DS4?

• Thread starter ornery
  • 161 comments

Steering Wheel or DS4?

• Total voters
DS4 because I have a G27 and refuse to buy new wheel because I use it for my PC. Currently looking at solutions to get my G27 to work on the PS4.
Drivehub is getting excellent reviews and does what you want. I am considering one for an old Microsoft Wireless Wheel.

Using DS4 and motion controls. It works better than in Driveclub for some reason.

Are folks able to get gold trophies in SP mode with DS4 and motion controls?

Drivehub is getting excellent reviews and does what you want. I am considering one for an old Microsoft Wireless Wheel.

Using DS4 and motion controls. It works better than in Driveclub for some reason.

Are folks able to get gold trophies in SP mode with DS4 and motion controls?
It's fun and it's definitely possible to gold the track experience races (tried yesterday, just for the laughs). The only thing is, you look ridiculous and you'll be mocked by your family :) And it can be a bit tricky to change gear when turning hard right.
I'll try it out in sport mode today and see if I can be competitive...probably won't.

I used a wheel in GT5, GT6 and Project Cars 1 ... but I find the motion control on the DS4 to be so good in GTS that I have no interest in getting another wheel.

T150 with pro pedals and basic brake mod. Works great settings at 1 and 10. I use the DS4 on some of the rally stuff but all in all I use the wheel for all races online. I also play on a 4K tv!

L2 & R2, and I use sensitivity 7. I also use the right stick as throttle and brake.
Haha. Just tried your setup. I'm all over the track. Braking and shifting gears all random. Good fun. I'll stick with it for a few hours and see how it goes. Cheers.

Started with the T150. Bought a T300rs but it was a dud. Returned it for a 599xx evo alcantara. , I️ really like it but I found a good deal on a Fanatec CSL Elite. So the 599 is going back when the CSL arrives. Just bought the CSL pedals for now. Will upgrade to the LC pedals mod soon enough.

Does the rev indicator work on GT sport?

That setup will take some getting used to :) Maube I'll give it a try. Thx!
If you're not new to GT, then no. Back when the DS1 was introduced, which didn't have shoulder triggers, the sticks were used for steering, and throttle/brake, with the shoulder buttons for shifting gears.

What are people's general feelings about the difference between the two? I'm on a DS4 and think on a near 2 minute track that a wheel would help me get 1-2s because of the more gradual input. They'e undoubtedly an advantage, but is it as much as I'm thinking?

I use a G27 and a Drivehub. Absolutely no issues and it's been great thus far.
02MSq
}
02MSq

What are people's general feelings about the difference between the two? I'm on a DS4 and think on a near 2 minute track that a wheel would help me get 1-2s because of the more gradual input. They'e undoubtedly an advantage, but is it as much as I'm thinking?

I actually have tried using the DS4 and my times were pretty much the same. But using the wheel just feels much better. As you say more gradual and precise inputs, especially where acceleration and steering are concerned.
Just adds to the experience imho.

If you're not new to GT, then no. Back when the DS1 was introduced, which didn't have shoulder triggers, the sticks were used for steering, and throttle/brake, with the shoulder buttons for shifting gears.
I never owned that controller. I played from gt2, I think. And passed on 5-6. Used to accelerate on x and shift on L2-R2 :) Later shifted to acc/br R1R2 and shift on L1L2. To bad you can't freely change in GTS :(

Haha. Just tried your setup. I'm all over the track. Braking and shifting gears all random. Good fun. I'll stick with it for a few hours and see how it goes. Cheers.

I got myself used to it by doing the 30 lap enduro race in the last beta before release. Just stick with it awhile and it will become natural.

Using a G29. I used to have an old Logitech Driving Force (neither Pro nor GT; it was called just that) back when GT4 came out, and used that until the power supply plug broke in 2009 I believe. For GT5 I got the Driving Force GT and kept it - now my brother uses it on PC.
For the PS4 I bought a T500RS in February 2015. Ultimately sold it a year ago as I rarely used it (didn't like Pcars 1 that much and there wasn't really anything else apart from Driveclub which I played with the pad) and used the money for something else.
At the end of September I bought a G29 together with Assetto Corsa and got Pcars 2 just 2 days later.
But since GT Sport is out, I didn't play any of them to be honest, as I really love the matchmaking of GT Sport. With the pure lobby based systems of the other games it's much harder to get competitive and clean races when you aren't playing with people you know.

If I didn't have a wheel though, I'd probably play with the motion controls, as this comes closest to using a wheel.

T300 alcantara with a CSL ELITE inbound. Some of the fastest people I follow seems to do really well with the DS4 but i really enjoy using the wheel. Kinda blown away the erratic driving from most DS4 controller users. I’m like how can they catch me. I’m not great at the game though. SR S DR C (bumped down from )

No worries.
If i only knew :dopey:

By the way, any cons? Input lag?

None. The price would be a con I guess, but you get a simple, efficient solution that works on any console. No lag, compatibility is superb so far.

Back