Who's using a wheel vs a DS4?

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by ornery, Oct 18, 2017.

?

Steering Wheel or DS4?

1. Wheel

47.6%
  2. DS4

52.4%
  1. Never2fast1

Never2fast1

Yeah I should, I don't think of it until I watch the replays and see my lights flashing.

2. BleedingEdge

BleedingEdge

Me too! PS4 in the living room for Vue and Netflix, my wife would laugh me out of the house if I tried to hook up a wheel and pedals in front of my LazyBoy~

3. DaddyBox1300

DaddyBox1300

Just got a T150, 2 pedal set a couple weeks ago. Been using DS since GT1 though. This is my first wheel on GT. I did modify my brake pedal with a rubber stopper mod. Definitely cut my laptimes a bit.

4. Nomadpt1

Nomadpt1

Could you add and option for both, I use both depending on the my laziness/patience or the hours I have driven that day.

5. wedjim

wedjim

I tried a wheel with GT6, but after a few weeks of struggling and sweating my ass off as if I was driving a real race car, I went back to the controller.

Just feels like more fun and less work to me, plus i’m always faster with the controller, even after pedal mods, lots or practice and trial and error with settings.
    Probably all mental.

Miths likes this.
  6. gingus1

gingus1

I'm using the t150 pro with the t3pa pedals with GT omega racing stand nice setup works great for me. Will be getting the stick shift for it soon. IMG_2780.JPG

7. candycab

candycab

Alcantera Edition T300, TH8A shifter with an Open Wheeler seat.

8. BallPtPenTheif

BallPtPenTheif

i think if it was doing a wheel setup i'd have to harvest an old Daytona USA cabinet for $100 and then build a rig into it complete with it's own PS4 that i keep in a separate space. Having to drag a driving chair and wheel setup into the living room would be a bit embarrassing for my wife. she would use it as a point of ridicule with her family, as if i had purchased a real life sex doll and had it sitting in the corner. i'm being facetious but i think you get the point.

9. Mistah_MCA

Mistah_MCA Premium

DS4 here. I'd be stoked to get a racing wheel one day.

10. Depo

Depo

G29 wheel with playseat the best buy i ever did
    :)

nomoredramas likes this.
  11. nomoredramas

nomoredramas

G29 here! And soon with a playseat challenge! Can't wait for that!!!

12. andyparks

andyparks

PlaySeat challenge t300 t3pa pedals

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    nomoredramas likes this.
  13. GTWelsh

GTWelsh Premium

More wheel users than I expected, DS4 for me at the moment, will get a wheel again one day.

14. Depo

Depo

I have a playseat evolution

nomoredramas likes this.
  15. nomoredramas

nomoredramas

I'd love to get that one, but the Challenge makes the trick for me in terms of saving space and storage. I'll post my feelings once I get it!

Depo likes this.
  16. Arcflyer

Arcflyer

G25 + Drivehub and Playseat Evolution

17. GT_No1

GT_No1

A T300RS with T3PA-Pro pedals and a ricmotech brake mod at the weekends, but was using a DS4 during the week but my thumb was in bits, so the G29 arrived lunchtime today for weekday driving.

18. GBO Possum

GBO Possum Premium

G27 via DriveHub on PS4, Xbox One and PS3

One wheel to rule them all™

19. Fonty

Fonty

I've got a Thrust master T80 & Logitech G29, at first I thought steering wheels were a bit too much just for a racing game but that was before I got a wheel.

20. EmArA

EmArA

My Old setup for PC and second PS4 for sim racing. Currently T300rs wheel base is kind of broken :irked:

[​IMG]Thrustmaster TH8a & Ferrari 599XXevo30 Alcantara by M-Bimmer, on Flickr

[​IMG]SimRacing Hardware 2017 by M-Bimmer, on Flickr

64DA08E7-7904-48BF-A2EB-B7F0D36E5D4A.jpeg

That is great to hear. I was only wondering about the driver hub ;) because i read some mixed opinions.

Solstice93 likes this.
  21. GBO Possum

GBO Possum Premium

DriveHub by CronusMax works just fine for me

I have two Logitech wheels, G27 and G920

Combos I have used include these 8

G920 + PS3 + GT6
    G27 + PS4 + GTS/Dirt Rally/P Cars 2
    G920 + PS4 + GTS/Dirt Rally/P Cars 2
    G27 + Xbox One + FM6

The only slight issue I can report is with PCars 2. Since the G27 doesn't have a button to map to the "PS" button, I switch between wheel and DS4, which works fine generally, but it confuses PCars 2, so has to be handled via a game quit.

I give DriveHub 10 out of 10.

EmArA likes this.
  22. Spongeinside

Spongeinside

I'm currently back to DS4 as my T300rs is out for repair... the tilt/motion control works good enough for casual play, but I'm definitely (even)slower with it than with a wheel.

23. BSDShoes

BSDShoes

I did the Bathurst manufacturers cup race last night and saved the replay, watched the replay after and noticed almost half the field were using D-pad steering, explains why some were so wobbly. Ugh...

EmArA likes this.
  24. zardoz9

zardoz9

I'm using a Thrustmaster T-GT.

I do, however, suspect that using a controller (with the button pad for steering) may have an advantage over wheels, if it's used by an expert. Why? Because I see them getting away with slipping, going over curbs too fast, skidding and wild car gyrations. If I steered like they did using a wheel, I would immediately spin out of control.

25. TenderLoins

TenderLoins

They’re getting away with that stuff because they most likely have the ASM on and Countersteer assist on high.

26. zardoz9

zardoz9

"They’re getting away with that stuff because they most likely have the ASM on and Countersteer assist on high."

Yes, they do use countersteering a lot, but not always. However, in GT6 (when there was no countersteering option) it still occurred. I suspect that the PD made the controller option with built-in additional countersteering.

Even if I use countersteering on high using my wheel, I can't get away with the erratic driving that controllers do.

TenderLoins likes this.
  27. PirovacBoy

PirovacBoy

I have been playing with Pad but recently my beloved Wife allowed me to finally buy a wheel so yeah Never Go back to Controller

TenderLoins likes this.
  28. 7HO

7HO

Of course I know how to do that but it is a short term fix at best if you can call it that and it is a real PITA to remove the pedals from a rig and pull them apart to clean on a regular basis. Because of GT Sport I've had to repeatedly clean 2 sets of pedals and my sons 10 year old set hadn't been cleaned in years before GT Sport came out because every modern sim has simple calibration features that allow you to add deadzone to each end of the pedal. Additionally without pedal calibration you also can't change your brake sensitivity or brake response curve so GT Sport has the worst feeling brake of any game I have played in recent years while every other game feels exactly the way you want because you can set it up just how you want.

I have a T-GT too now and I've found that turning the FFB up has helped my driving in those situations. The jump from 6 and 2 to 7 and 2 is a big step and ideally I think i'd prefer a step between them but I can drive better and more consistent at 7 than at 6.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  29. TenderLoins

TenderLoins

Same here but I decided if she wants to make fun of me for it, there’s plenty of stuff I can shame her for.

This is the exact setup I just ordered. Got both for right around $300. Can’t wait!

BleedingEdge likes this.
  30. Marckyboy

Marckyboy

Ds4 now as my t300rs wheel broke. I actually seem be just as quick with the Ds4 which surprised me