why always starting last online

I suspect this has been answered elsewhere, I'm not sure if this is right but I have suffered a similar problem. So far as I can tell start order is basically first come first served. The only times I've ever started up front were when it wasn't too busy and I could see the grid slots filling up after me in the table as I was waiting. I'm guessing that people local to the servers in Japan connect to the race pretty quickly and therefore stand a better chance of being upfront - and the opposite for us....

... but like I say, I could be wrong.

I suspect this has been answered elsewhere, I'm not sure if this is right but I have suffered a similar problem. So far as I can tell start order is basically first come first served. The only times I've ever started up front were when it wasn't too busy and I could see the grid slots filling up after me in the table as I was waiting. I'm guessing that people local to the servers in Japan connect to the race pretty quickly and therefore stand a better chance of being upfront - and the opposite for us....

... but like I say, I could be wrong.

Still sounds like a good explanation though !...

Gees I thought it's just me and my slow connection (512K ADSL), good to know other people are suffering as well :P

My guess is players from Japan would get the first few slots as they can connect quicker to the server? Dunno...

Not correct at all. Its not first come first served and its not due to connection speed.

First come first served is random, but I ALWAYS start last. It cannot be first come first served.

Can't be due to connection speed either. I have looked at my bandwidth during the connection phase and it uses almost no bandwidth at all.

Something certainly determines it, I dont know what it is. There is a way to find out.

To all reading this please post the following (since the last patch):

start: last, sometimes second or 3rd last.
account: au
medium: Blu-ray
finished the game:no
physics: sim, all aids off
connection: 1500/256

Thats all the data I can think of. If we can collect this we might spot a pattern if enough users give data.

Distance from the host server or ping is almost certainly the cause.

gt5p-online-searching.jpg

You PS3 connects to the host server. The host compilies a list of players waiting for that particular race. After a set time limit (or when 16 players have requested to join) the screen changes to the following:

gt5p-online-joining.jpg

At which time the host sends a request to the PS3 to confirm 'ready-to-race'. The first consoles to reply to this request get put on the front row - and the grid is filled as each PS3's confirmation is received.

I quite like starting from the rear in the Fuji race because it gives me something to do - fighting through the field. But it makes it quite hard to win on the London or Eiger 2 lappers.

That makes sense, so I guess people who start around me are most likely from my region, so please don't bump into me, peace man :)

That makes sense, so I guess people who start around me are most likely from my region, so please don't bump into me, peace man :)

Or the UK, USA, Europe etc

On a side note I did manage (just once) to start from position 7 of a 15 car Fuji GTR race. Fluke! :cool:

Yeah its literally how far away from Japan you are that determines your position, I managed to get a start in 2nd once! but most of the time im last or last but one...

Robin

I played 10 games last night between 9 and 10pm UK time and I was pole every single time, I hate being up front i would rather be mid to back. This has been the case for the last few nights on any map i play.. I think i have started second or third maybe 3 times since I have been playing. They should let everyone join then shuffle the grid in a random manner.. infact racingfreak01 i think you were in some of the races if I remember correctly after a few red wines ;-)

As with Britbeef, 9 out of 10 times, I'm at the far back. Last night I was in mostly 12+ rooms. I suddenly found myself in the 2nd spot in a large room. That was really odd. Of course I was taken out by some moron.

Hi. This is my first post so don't crucify me if it's a stupid question!

I'm living in Japan and I've recently bought Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Japanese). The game is obviously very good but I've got one problem. Every time I start an online game, I start at the back of the grid. I'm always 15th or 16th. I usually finish in the top 10 so I think my performance isn't too bad.

Is there any way I can move my starting position up a bit to at least give me a chance of winning?

Thanks in advance.

That's kind of silly, I mean what if you end up with the n00bs in last and the pro's up front? it's gonna be a boring race, abd there would be more chance for a n00b to crash into the pros, I would like it set so that the highest skilled drivers are started last, as long as the race is 5 plus laps.
So I hope they have that in the EU version.

That's kind of silly, I mean what if you end up with the n00bs in last and the pro's up front? it's gonna be a boring race, abd there would be more chance for a n00b to crash into the pros, I would like it set so that the highest skilled drivers are started last, as long as the race is 5 plus laps.
So I hope they have that in the EU version.

So you're the type of person that wants the reverse grid positions in F1...

So, what i ask is if anyone know if the starting grid is random or does it maybe depend on your pp or winning streak/winning %? Because i start from 9th-12 93% of every race (max people i've raced is 12). So this just can not be random? I race my Lotus Elise 111R /Tuned with 650pp on Suzuka most of the time.

It depends on what car you drive... If you drive the Daihutsu OFC-1 you can be pretty sure to start on first...

But, in Fuji F you start where you came in on the loading screen

It depends on what car you drive... If you drive the Daihutsu OFC-1 you can be pretty sure to start on first...

But, in Fuji F you start where you came in on the loading screen

I dont know about the Daihutsu, but I am pretty sure it is quite random. On Fuji F I am usually number 1 in loading screen and I do not start first all the time. If you are number 1 on the loading screen, I a pretty sure it means you are the host. But the starting order is random.

I dont know about the Daihutsu, but I am pretty sure it is quite random. On Fuji F I am usually number 1 in loading screen and I do not start first all the time. If you are number 1 on the loading screen, I a pretty sure it means you are the host. But the starting order is random.

Its only random for the cars that are the same PP value. I'm very sure its the PP value that is used for the grid, because any car that is below everyone elses always starts in pole.

Yeah it is definitely to do with the PP, that's why you see some people purposely tune their cars to be a few points under the limit, so they start nearer the front.

So, what i ask is if anyone know if the starting grid is random or does it maybe depend on your pp or winning streak/winning %? Because i start from 9th-12 93% of every race (max people i've raced is 12). So this just can not be random? I race my Lotus Elise 111R /Tuned with 650pp on Suzuka most of the time.

I have a number of theories about this (all could be wrong). They are:

1) You start further back if you win a lot of races.

2) you start further back (and in races with a smaller grid) if you exit often, or knock into other cars or the track, or your generally a poor driver.

3) You start near the front if you have a high daily racing average (ie. you have raced a lot of races that day).

4) You start further back the filed depending on how well you raced the race before, or alternatively, you start further back if you won by xx.xx.xxx seconds ahead of the field.

5) Your start position depends upon the position you are in on the table before the race begins.

6) Your start position is dictated by your fastest/average lap on that track. The CPU then filters the slowest drivers near the front, and the best drivers near the back.

7) You start in first place if you are the host. This is not always the case, even though the game manual says it is.

8) The starting grid is totally random.

I also have a theory about the highlighted names on the table before a race. I think the highlighted names indicate previous race winners.

7) You start in first place if you are the host. This is not always the case, even though the game manual says it is.

What I think the manual means by this is that if you are in Position No. 1 while waiting for others to join then you are the host, and not if you actually start first on the grid.

What does PP mean guys? I already been to the loo. I've just about got the game, and I want to be prepared.

The grid order is determined by pp points. Lowest numer of points starts on pole. Person listed as #1 in the lobby while players add is the host. 100% sure of both these facts.

In the event of equal pp points the starting position appears random. Pretty sure of this too.

Back