why do people with controllers even bother?

Discussion in 'GT5 Drifting' started by timacks, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timacks

timacks

Im curious why people with controllers even play?
    how can that be fun?

2. nk4e

nk4e

At the time, I couldn't afford a wheel. Some people do better than Wheel users.
    Edit: Drifting with the controller is very sensitive. Its fun to find new lines on courses and to see at what angle you can get your car at.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  3. RufusGonePunk

RufusGonePunk

Precisely, I have neither the funds nor space for a wheel at the moment. Does that mean I'm not gonna drift? Of course not.

4. Hayden

Hayden Premium

I have a wheel but controller is fun too

5. OrdinaryBrennan

OrdinaryBrennan

Look at it this way. I can't drift with my wheel unless I'm in a 4WD car. When I use my controller, I can drift any car BUT 4WD cars.

6. MONSTAR-1

MONSTAR-1

Ive got a wheel but cant drift with it. Ive tried but cant do it as good as a controller. Cant be bothered with patients.

7. HumanDestroyah

HumanDestroyah Premium

Longtime fans of the GT series all started out with sticks (GT1).

Dezalizzztic likes this.
  8. brandon6i

brandon6i

If the game came with a wheel then you might have a valid question... but it doesn't and you don't. ;)

$60 for the game is enough to spend. I'm interested in getting a wheel and Kaz even understands that people still use controllers. It was stated by him during a DFGT promotional video that he still adds pad configurations. Obviously, he understands that not everyone will blow an additional ~$150+ turning a $60 game into a $200+ investment. Then you have to think about how to plant the wheel, and what chair/seat you'll use it in... and why not spend an additional $200 for surround while we're at it?

Its not everyone's prerogative to invest so much into a video game. That's your simple answer.

9. iHealy

iHealy

How can you say that? The only reason you all buy wheels is because you cant use controllers ... I dont have a wheel and can drift all day if i wanted too ... The vettel challenge done after about 5 attempts and people are on here saying how you need a wheel to do everything .... LIESS :)

10. Jesus

Jesus

Because I can't afford one, yet with my controller I have managed to create a very successful drift team and I believe I am an experienced drifter who can go round a few corners sideways and still have fun. So my question to you is; Why do use a wheel and how is it fun? :tup:

11. Sluffer

Sluffer

I used a wheel a few years ago on GT2 and I thought it was ****, so I've stuck with the controllers, Used them for many years and it's what I'm comfortable with.

12. jimy281090

jimy281090

Why do people bother Drifting with controllers..

My DFGT has jammed Forc Feedback.

I came 4th in the GTPlanet H2H Drifting competition with a Dualshock 3.. Ermmmmm, yeah it's pointless ;)

13. Hayden

Hayden Premium

:tup: Jimmy, you did great mate :tup:
    As for the OP, there are various reasons one may use a controller and not a wheel, it may be...
    -cost of wheels make then inexcessible
    -wheel may be damaged
    -ones legs/arms may not be compatible with a wheel (due to injurys or disablement)
    -one may not want a wheel, as they simply don't want one
    -some may think that a wheel makes the game to punishing, and that a controller better suits them
    -skill may dictate that one simply can't drift with a wheel
    -one may see a wheel as too much hassle
    -one may prefer the feel and control a controller gives
    -one may be more acustomed to a controller and are reluctant to spend time they could be drifting with, on learning how to use a wheel
    -one may not like wheels
    -one might not be able to use a wheel with noisy FFB in there current situation
    -other

I think I just answered the OP's question, yes?

EDIT: I use a wheel, but not at night as it could lead to a weird argument with ones parents

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  14. RufusGonePunk

RufusGonePunk

One thinks you summed it up nicely ;)

15. jimy281090

jimy281090

One does believe so also :)

16. monsterGAUZ

monsterGAUZ

i'm thinking the same way like you. i wouldn't have any fun without a wheel. even a crappy old DFP makes the driving 1000 times better :)

17. eXJaGGeD

eXJaGGeD

Wheel = Faster Lap Times

Controller = Drifting

Why make myself rage while using my wheel when I can use my controller to have fun. I'm decent with my wheel, but I prefer insane entrys which would take months of practice on a wheel to do.

18. saleenf5

saleenf5

I simply dont want a wheel. They cost a nice amount of money, to much for me to spend on a game accessory. And they are very loud, an since I usually play at night my family would be furious.

19. Hayden

Hayden Premium

Saleen applys to more then one of my suggested reasons, good job saleen :tup: there is so many reasons to not use a wheel, especially for drifting. The technique takes a long time to perfect and many people can't be bothered with investing time and I understand why

20. Foglight

Foglight Premium

I'm just curious. Do you mean you've done gold with a controller or just bronze? I don't see a trophy for the X1 challenge either way though?

Also on topic, I would play with a controller but don't think I'd play very long. The reply value would fade quickly for me.

21. mcnultycop

mcnultycop

I've actually taken the steering wheel and pedals out of my car and installed a PS3 controller instead. Not only is it perfectly safe and efficient but it frees up more space in the cabin.

22. Knight Spirit

Knight Spirit

This is going to be 'one of those threads' isn't it?... :(

23. Mopatop

Mopatop

Has anyone noticed that in the drifting seasonals, everyone uses a controller? I suspect it's a lot easier.

24. I feel the wheel is a lot more fun after the initial steep learning curve. After playing on a wheel i just can't go back. No offense to controller drifters but i can't stand watching replays and seeing that annoying "front wheel flick". It just kills it for me, even if the guy has insane angle and what not.

25. Callum B

Callum B

i want a wheel, buuuuuuut i would only use it in very competetive enviroments online, i find that i can drift and have ALOT of fun with my trusty sixaxis dualshock, plus through my experiences they're virtually indestructable :) (btw sorry if i spelt competetive wrong)

26. Mopatop

Mopatop

Having a wheel revolutionised my racing. It's just more fun with the wheel, I couldn't think of using a controller. It is much harder though - a completely different level.

27. liQster

liQster Premium

Maybe you had the wrong wheel. since gt2 there was a big development on both wheels and gt itself. i can´t even imagine to go back and play with pad again since i have my (awesome) g27 setup :)

check out a friends setup if you have the chance and you´ll see that driving with a wheel is much more fun than with the ds3.

no offense of course, that´s just my opinion. i know not everyone can afford a wheel + rig, or simply doesn´t want to.

28. VerschooF

VerschooF

i got to admit. with the wheel i can do my races really good, and enjoy myself for hours,
    only when it comes top drifting,, i just have'nt got the skills yet,, so i'm sticking with the controller for drifting for now and i'll just see when i'll learn with the wheel.. anyways i love it eitherway,

29. im_remi

im_remi (Banned)

My G25 is broken, you have a problem with that? I was one of the best drifters with it in LFS, but DS3 owns too.

Lemme ask you a question..

Why do you bother having a dick that you dont wank for 24/7?

30. elmoigstreets3

elmoigstreets3

its all down to personally preference really, you cant say why do people with controllers bother because of the fun factor, thats stupid...... i use a controller and i have insane fun, although i havent really tried drifting yet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.