why do people with controllers even bother?

• Thread starter timacks
  • 68 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand, the controller is easier to drift with... but it destroys teh nature of it. & almost any boy/man/child/or retard can do it with the controller

I can go out and get 20,000 points in the tsukuba circuit with my controller or my logitech g27...

When I first started trying to master drifting in GT5 , I obviously found the controller much easier.. but grew bored of it fast..

I've had rwd cars my entire life and taking the 4-5 hours to customize the suspension and master it on the wheel is better!

I understand the cost aspect, but a large majority of the people who have this game/system, aren't exactly living in the gutter.

I've Also been playing the game since gt1 but have gotten more serious with gt4/gtp/gt5.

I' started peicing together my rig/wheel/ set up over the last 4 years.. so the costs were low. ( started with the g25 ) later got the g27 from a group buy for 200cdn

For the people with wheels that take the easier route by using controllers:

Drifting with teh wheel is Just as easy if the suspension, differential, and power/weight is all dialed in!
Your rage is a result of your car not being tuned properly!

Pm me if your interested in some 900' degree wheel specs for the nissan z34 370z

but i guess i just forgot a lot of people dont do this in real life and just love to ride the train

My G25 is broken, you have a problem with that? I was one of the best drifters with it in LFS, but DS3 owns too.

Lemme ask you a question..

Why do you bother having a dick that you dont wank for 24/7?

how do you know that I dont?

Maybe you had the wrong wheel. since gt2 there was a big development on both wheels and gt itself. i can´t even imagine to go back and play with pad again since i have my (awesome) g27 setup :)

check out a friends setup if you have the chance and you´ll see that driving with a wheel is much more fun than with the ds3.

no offense of course, that´s just my opinion. i know not everyone can afford a wheel + rig, or simply doesn´t want to.

+3

If any of your friends have a set up, or if the Auto Show is in your city soon, Check if they have the GT5 w/ the d-box set up! although the d-box is expensive.. you can still get "Wheelstand pro's " for really cheap and they are great for saving space and tossing it in the closet!

i want a wheel, buuuuuuut i would only use it in very competetive enviroments online, i find that i can drift and have ALOT of fun with my trusty sixaxis dualshock, plus through my experiences they're virtually indestructable :) (btw sorry if i spelt competetive wrong)

I have a puppy and 3 controllers that beg to differ about the strength!

I like drifting with the controller,I have fun. It might not be as fun as a wheel, but at least I'm having fun. Why would you bother making this a thread?

As timacks said, controller drifting is way too easy, real drifters get a wheel, I could drift Tsubuka and drift the entire lap, no problem, 360 drift entries were a piece of cake, I don't get how someone on controller can say their good, its simple as hell, you don't need to worry about wieght balance, snap back, or even a good driving line half the time, having a wheel just makes it alot more realistic, thus taking the skill level up a notch. I can understand that having a wheel isn't a priority for some people, or even a want. I agree, if you just want to have fun and drift, DS3 isn't a bad way to go, just don't say you've got mad drift skillz drifting your 1000 hp viper with your DS3, cause I guarantee you couldn't drift one corner with that car using a wheel. Rant finished.

Those having troubles with a wheel should try low power cars, 200-300 hp on the high end, comfort hard tires, and low FFB with no Power steering assist. And its all about catching the snap back, and learning when your car will catch grip, you have to go against the force feedback, but once you get that, drifting on higher settings, with stickier tires, and more power will just be matter of practicing.

Also, don't be afraid of throwing the wheel around a bit, start off doing small drifts, power over, then move into feints, shift lock, etc. The clutch kick is your friend :D

I understand, the controller is easier to drift with... but it destroys teh nature of it. & almost any boy/man/child/or retard can do it with the controller

I understand the cost aspect, but a large majority of the people who have this game/system, aren't exactly living in the gutter.

but i guess i just forgot a lot of people dont do this in real life and just love to ride the train

Are you trolling? These three things you said make it look like you are.

Who cares if it's easy or not with a controller, it's a game.

So, if you can buy a 60$ game, you assume someone has 200-250$+ lying around for a wheel, then around 100$+ for a decent mount? Some people have more important things to buy than accessories for a game. The only way I'd see it being plausible for myself is if I had left over income tax money to spend after bills were payed.

And who cares if you can drift in the real world, good on you if you can and are decent at it. Since controller drifters are "riding the train" which I think you meant "bandwagon", maybe you can foot the bill for the tires and differentials I'd be blowing on my Z33 so I could be cool and not be on the bandwagon too?

So, again, are you just trying to troll DS3 users and trying to be a wheel elitist?

in my first comment.. i was fourth in the H2H championship on here. Do you think you could manage that with you're wheel or majority of others with a controller for that fact?.

how many people do you reckon can do that well on a controller? Ummmmm not many as its noot particularly easy to battle those on wheels!.

You're allowed you're own opinion but when you hit out and claim anyone can do it (boy/man/child/or retard) is just ridiculous!. i'm so sorry i broke my steering wheel and dont wanna fork out over £2-300 for another.. so i guess that makes me a retard huh?.

The controller may be easier to begin with but when battling those on wheels it is NOT easy to use. therefor the aspect of battling is much harder than you could imagine!.

when i see you in that drift battle competition with you're name at the top then i'll respect you're statements :).

One lasst thing. i do drive in RL so using a controller has nothing to do with that and is a completely stupid thing to say :L

Hey dan, see that button on the bottom left of your post that says edit? click it and you wont need to post twice in a row. 👍

Sorry if i sound like a tool but a lot of people get annoyed by double posts. I agree too. I can not slide 4WD at all with my DFP... i just cant! But get in my Silvia, GS Lexus or IROC Z Camaro and ooohhhh man does the wheel make the game feel special.
I have nothing against controller drifting though, as 90% of my drift time is while my parents are asleep and the FFB sound has a bad habit of getting me in trouble ;) so i use the DS3

in my first comment.. i was fourth in the H2H championship on here. Do you think you could manage that with you're wheel or majority of others with a controller for that fact?.

The controller may be easier to begin with but when battling those on wheels it is NOT easy to use. therefor the aspect of battling is much harder than you could imagine!.

when i see you in that drift battle competition with you're name at the top then i'll respect you're statements :).

FYI as far as i know he isn't even subscribed to tournament #2. Your drift e-peen > his drift e-peen

how many people do you reckon can do that well on a controller? Ummmmm not many as its noot particularly easy to battle those on wheels!.

You're allowed you're own opinion but when you hit out and claim anyone can do it (boy/man/child/or retard) is just ridiculous!. i'm so sorry i broke my steering wheel and dont wanna fork out over £2-300 for another.. so i guess that makes me a retard huh?.

One lasst thing. i do drive in RL so using a controller has nothing to do with that and is a completely stupid thing to say :L
This man says it how it is.

So, if you can buy a 60$ game, you assume someone has 200-250$+ lying around for a wheel, then around 100$+ for a decent mount? Some people have more important things to buy than accessories for a game. The only way I'd see it being plausible for myself is if I had left over income tax money to spend after bills were payed.

Try $125 from Dell for the DFGT - the official wheel, mind. But I agree, not everyone can afford one, that's accepted. They aren't prohibitively expensive however.

So, again, are you just trying to troll DS3 users and trying to be a wheel elitist?

At the risk of sounding like I'm trolling, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that people that use wheels are more skilled than people that use the controller. It's significantly harder in every way.

Just because you use a wheel in a game doesn't make you a "real drifter".
Sorry, your right, using a controller is soo much more comparable to driving a real car... I have drifted in real life, and it's something I will pursue after I'm done school, and have a decent living, and the true fact is, a lot of the techniques I can practice on a G27 carry over into a real car, yes, its not the same, but it's as close to real drifting as you can get without being in a real car.

I wonder if being able to drift a car without any sense of movement, weight transfer, pitch, roll or yaw would make you better or worse when you got in the real thing.

I imagine its only harder until you get the hang of it... but the control you have with a wheel vs controller is the main separation. Its tough drifting against wheel users when you're using a DS3, and that's because of the wheel's ability to have steadier and finer inputs. Yeah, a DS3 can get to locks faster... but that's nothing compared to the lines that a wheel can hold.

I'd love to have a wheel for the above reasons... I just have more important things that my money goes towards. However, to say someone is more skilled with a wheel than someone else using a DS3 is not a factual statement. Experience is where skill is built.

Try $125 from Dell for the DFGT - the official wheel, mind. But I agree, not everyone can afford one, that's accepted. They aren't prohibitively expensive however.

At the risk of sounding like I'm trolling, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that people that use wheels are more skilled than people that use the controller. It's significantly harder in every way.
DFGT isn't ideal for drifting, I have one. My buddy brought over his G25 for me to try, It was loads better. It was more smooth then the DFGT.

And that isn't a trollish comment. I agree with you, Look at Keisu and SAi. :P

I'm sorry, but have you even tried tandem with a wheel? It's ten times harder, I've done competitions with DS3, I judged the X-MAS Drift Bash, guess what? The winners, all had controllers, this argument is stupid, pushing a stick with your thumb, that you can move full stroke in 1/2 an inch, in 1/2 a second, compared to spinning a 30 cm wheel, 900 degrees with resistance, while maintaining hand, foot, and eye coordination is not even a negotiable argument. It takes little skill to drift a controller, when compared to a wheel, period.

Sorry, your right, using a controller is soo much more comparable to driving a real car... I have drifted in real life, and it's something I will pursue after I'm done school, and have a decent living, and the true fact is, a lot of the techniques I can practice on a G27 carry over into a real car, yes, its not the same, but it's as close to real drifting as you can get without being in a real car.
Who said anything about a controller reflecting a real experience? I lol'd.

It's a game either way, sure you can take the fundamentals with you, but you will still need to "Feel" the car. Good luck to you in the drift world.

EDIT: I see this becoming the second great debate in the Drift section, first one being the AWD debate.

Who said anything about a controller reflecting a real experience? I lol'd.

It's a game either way, sure you can take the fundamentals with you, but you will still need to "Feel" the car. Good luck to you in the drift world.

EDIT: I see this becoming the second great debate in the Drift section, first one being the AWD debate.

I love how your calling others trolls, but your the one looking to start a flame war, kind of exposes how sad of an exsistance you have.

I'm off to go learn about Aircraft Wieght and Balance, and maybe fix a helicopter or two this afternoon.

And BTW, my car:
DSC01472.jpg

I don't think I'll have difficulty in the drift world, as I'm already there.

I don't see any way that was instigating a angry response from you, you sir make me laugh.

And you try to sound important on a DRIFTING forum, I laugh even harder! Thanks for making my morning before I head off to my Biomechanics class and learn how to make the human body better, oh shoot did I try to make myself sound important too? :'(

Ooooh, cause you have a FC you're in the drift world? I obviously meant competition wise, sorry you take offense to everything someone says to you.

Now that, my good sir, is how you troll and instigate a response from someone. Some one had to teach you I guess.

I don't see any way that was instigating a angry response from you, you sir make me laugh.

And you try to sound important on a DRIFTING forum, I laugh even harder! Thanks for making my morning before I head off to my Biomechanics class and learn how to make the human body better, oh shoot did I try to make myself sound important too? :'(

Ooooh, cause you have a FC you're in the drift world? I obviously meant competition wise, sorry you take offense to everything someone says to you.

Now that, my good sir, is how you troll and instigate a response from someone. Some one had to teach you I guess.

Hahaha thats GREAT!!!

Well the great divide has started. Soon the skys shall rain biased DS3 comments. The board shall be a scarred battle zone, one side preaching superiority, the other tolerance. Threads titled "wheel only team" will riddle the board an spread their ideas like the plague......you can only blame yourselves. I came to try an stop this, to unite us as drifters, to unite us as family regardless of the tools we use to achieve the goal of drifting nirvana. But it appears im too late some people must break great things apart, some people must find ways to talk down to others.........

-steven

Man, the only thing i ask of controller drifters is if you post a replay can you please label it DS3 so i don't have to see that front wheel flicking.

DrifT天国;4796023
Man, the only thing i ask of controller drifters is if you post a replay can you please label it DS3 so i don't have to see that front wheel flicking.

One of the big things I would like from PD at the moment is to separate the leaderboards between controller and wheel users. I mean, there are some people beasting the drift lists with directional buttons! What gives!

One of the big things I would like from PD at the moment is to separate the leaderboards between controller and wheel users. I mean, there are some people beasting the drift lists with directional buttons! What gives!

Hell, they also should separate 200 degree wheel users as well. As one of the other threads on here stated, I really think drifting was an after thought for pd. I love GT5 but there is a lot they can improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back