Why driving license requirement?

• Thread starter magsolid
  • 63 comments
Because the prize is a drive in a real car, and you can't drive them unless you have a license. You can't be a racing driver without a driving license.

Last edited:
Maybe it's to show that you are capable of handling a car in real life perhaps? You have to be over 18 to advance to the national finals for your country anyway.

Because the prize is a drive in a real car, and you can't drive them unless you have a license. You can't be a racing driver without a driving license.

EDIT: ^ That. The prize is being in the Nissan racing team and driving in real races.

Maybe it's to show that you are capable of handling a car in real life perhaps? You have to be over 18 to advance to the national finals for your country anyway.

EDIT: ^ That. The prize is being in the Nissan racing team and driving in real races.

Yeah, but there are some race car drivers who never hold a driver's license. I don't think driver's license a necessary to get in to motorsport.

Yeah, but there are some race car drivers who never hold a driver's license. I don't think driver's license a necessary to get in to motorsport.
It isn't a requirement to have a driver's license for the road to be a race driver, but I think Nissan wants people with a driver's license so they know the drivers they pick at least know how to get a car going and drive it around a track in real life.

Well motorcycle racers are often not in possession of a motorcycle street license. Lots of Rookie Cups have participants below the legal age for a street license. I assume Karting is similar in this regard.

I assume the GT Academy final events are all done on private property, so the owner of the property decides who may drive on it and who can't. If Silverstone says only holders of a license may drive cars there, PD will have to comply.

Drivers license is a way to set a minimum age limit without telling the 15 year olds they are too young. Its not about your age... it just that you don't have a license.

Drivers license is a way to set a minimum age limit without telling the 15 year olds they are too young. Its not about your age... it just that you don't have a license.

I do believe that you also must be over the age of 18 to be competing in GT Academy to be one of the finalists anyway.

Actually the age is also set in the T&C :)!!

To be fair if your a petrolhead surely the first thing you want if your not driving anything at any point is a licence? Or work towards it? Plus you've got to make sure you can get to events :)! When Jann won in that final they had to drive from Le-Man to Silverstone :P! Finally it makes sure that somebody isn't alienated by a car when they get in one!

They want to make sure you know how to operate a car in real life at the very least, not just in virtual world. There are many who are fast in virtual world but never sits or drive in a real car :D They don't want to see you clueless when operating a manual car, and have to heel/toe with ABSless ( race camp 370z car ) - don't crash that car :lol:

It's completely wrong for them to do that. Most of the young guns won't have the opportunity to qualify for GTA because they don't have a driving license, as there's point having one due to the ridiculous car insurance prices. Surely pther motorsport licences (i.e. MSA karting licence) should allow them to compete?!

It's not really that much trouble to get a driving license, I only took 6 lessons for mine...
I think they have to do it, if you'd never driven a car with a clutch before then you would be completely lost when it came to actually driving the real cars, so I don't think a kart license would be sufficient.

Actually the age is also set in the T&C :)!!

To be fair if your a petrolhead surely the first thing you want if your not driving anything at any point is a licence? Or work towards it? Plus you've got to make sure you can get to events :)! When Jann won in that final they had to drive from Le-Man to Silverstone :P! Finally it makes sure that somebody isn't alienated by a car when they get in one!

I thought this was funny i am not getting in the passenger seat withany you guys on the public road and i doubt you wanna ge in a car with me either :sly:

It's completely wrong for them to do that. Most of the young guns won't have the opportunity to qualify for GTA because they don't have a driving license, as there's point having one due to the ridiculous car insurance prices. Surely pther motorsport licences (i.e. MSA karting licence) should allow them to compete?!

The only thing is they are putting you in at such a high level in the BES a lot of the guys you'll be racing will be closer to 40 than 30 so you have plenty of time on your hands if you 17 years old soo their is always next year

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the 370Z's semi automatic? Then that shouldn't be a problem. I tried a Ginetta G40 with a clutch quite a few years ago, & I did pretty well! There's pros & cons to it

Are the 370Z's semi automatic? Then that shouldn't be a problem. I tried a Ginetta G40 with a clutch quite a few years ago, & I did pretty well! There's pros & cons to it

Nope, from last year GTA - Manual with no ABS :) Even with driver licence, this still happened, best to practice at track days.

Haha that video made me laugh!

Very easily done though, even though your heart says lift off and re-apply, your brain says press harder!

To be fair though, you have to remember, you've gotta push so hard in this competition and there's 2 accidents there as well. One was late braking and the other I believe ABS failed even though it was on? That's what I've heard anyway.

Pushing to the limits is all apart of it :P!

Always treat every car I drive as if it has no ABS, that's the way I do it everyday, modulate the brakes, it helps with muscle memory and also a good habit, so you won't get caught off guard driving all kinds of car. When the eventual ABS system kicked in, treat it as a backup assistance :D

Always treat every car I drive as if it has no ABS, that's the way I do it everyday, modulate the brakes, it helps with muscle memory and also a good habit, so you won't get caught off guard driving all kinds of car. When the eventual ABS system kicked in, treat it as a backup assistance :D

Very true but in the GT Academy situation it's not something you should be doing, as you should be pushing to the limit as much as you can and not go over it :D! Admittedly he could have probably got off the brakes and back on accordingly but time and occasion I guess!

Very true but in the GT Academy situation it's not something you should be doing, as you should be pushing to the limit as much as you can and not go over it :D! Admittedly he could have probably got off the brakes and back on accordingly but time and occasion I guess!

With ABS on, the fastest way to slow down in the GT world is to push hard on the brakes all the time and then eventually trailing the brake around a corner as you approach it.

With ABS on, the fastest way to slow down in the GT world is to push hard on the brakes all the time and then eventually trailing the brake around a corner as you approach it.

Exactly :), but if you lock the wheels you can't, which was also the issue in that video :P!

Yeah most race cars have no abs i think, so to fully brake is a no no.. well i have never drive race car but can imagine its all about the limit of brake as you first brake you release then what clutch in change gear while heel an toe? depending on corner an car an power aswell.. but yeah i never learn with abs in GT World i can drive it an understand the trial braking GT malarky.. but 95% am no abs.. but hey thats life.. i am now for GT6 drive with abs alot more.. but i notice that when you change from abs to no abs or vice versa that your brake control is never consitant to the limit that you can an distances.. but with practice you can adapt i guess after an hour lol..

Yeah most race cars have no abs i think, so to fully brake is a no no.. well i have never drive race car but can imagine its all about the limit of brake as you first brake you release then what clutch in change gear while heel an toe? depending on corner an car an power aswell.. but yeah i never learn with abs in GT World i can drive it an understand the trial braking GT malarky.. but 95% am no abs.. but hey thats life.. i am now for GT6 drive with abs alot more.. but i notice that when you change from abs to no abs or vice versa that your brake control is never consitant to the limit that you can an distances.. but with practice you can adapt i guess after an hour lol..

Better stick with either one, and never go back :lol: I never use ABS in GT5 or GTA 2013 or any previous GTA, I can never go back to ABS :lol: It's hard and requires commitment, especially when racing in a league or club like Deadnutseven. I did try ABS when I 1st time drive a car in GT5, felt weird and out of this world, turned it off, and I fell in love.

From my experience in cars, no ABS in GT5 is quite unrealistic. I haven't been in a no ABS car yet IRL where you need to worry about how hard you're braking.

From my experience in cars, no ABS in GT5 is quite unrealistic. I haven't been in a no ABS car yet IRL where you need to worry about how hard you're braking.

I have. My race car will lock the fronts if you stomp the pedal to the floor. I need an adjustable bias controller, but even with one I doubt I could dial out all of the front lock.

I have. My race car will lock the fronts if you stomp the pedal to the floor. I need an adjustable bias controller, but even with one I doubt I could dial out all of the front lock.

What car is it? I've only driven lighter cars, but even the light cars in GT5 seem to lock up really easily without ABS, apart from the F1 cars.

Karts have no ABS though and we've both driven those, the method used in a kart is to stamp on the brake then release it gradually, keeping the brakes on the limit without locking, if you lock the brakes you could give it a blip of throttle to unlock the rear axle or try and come off the brakes to control it 👍

Back