Why I am ok with not quilfying in top 32.

• Thread starter backpian1
  • 90 comments
Can i ask in what way you have won these type of prizes?
Why do you think you have the slimmest chance of anyone in winning?
I wish you the best of luck but i have a feeling that deciding to be commited 'IF' you win will possibly not stack up to the dedication that others have already put into it (physical training etc).
Like i said i wish you luck but i think it will take something pretty special and more than just driving skill to win.
I wasnt quick enough to qualify but i would also fall into the category of not being capable in other areas i think even if i did get through.
If i had qualified though i would no doubt go and give it my best.

I play another racing game on a different console that does big tourneys once in a while with some pretty badass prizes. I won a trip to see the 24 hour of Le Mans race that was valued at $20,000. Just last March I won a 2012 Hyundai Veloster (MSRP over $18,000) and $8,900 in cash. Won another $2,000 cash in a tourney also sponsored by Hyundai last year. This trip to San Diego or wherever is stated to be worth $3,000 in the the rules. The rest is smaller stuff, i.e. $500 AMX gift card, playseat EVO and Logitech DFGT from last years GT Academy, lots of video games and peripherals.

I think I have a slim chance of winning because I have no real life racing experience. However, Im a quick learner and feel like I could excel at racing if given the chance.

I agree with you, those who have been dedicated to making racing their profession and were good enough to qualify for GTA this year will have a HUGE advantage and will be the favorites to win. But I don't think I'm wrong for just wanting to go...I mean, its a once in a lifetime opportunity.

My early pick for the next GTA winner...TRC Scooty!!! Seriously, this dude was born to race. I was almost right about 3wide last year, I'm really hoping I'm right this time. GL BRO!

Last edited:
OP you realize only 1 person will potentially have the chance to drive for Nissan? i don't think you're missing out on much by not making the top 32

OP you realize only 1 person will potentially have the chance to drive for Nissan? i don't think you're missing out on much by not making the top 32

Speak for yourself, like hunk said, once in a lifetime chance. Heck, just the trip to the finals would be a blast. I applaud all those who got in the top 32 and plan on loving it.

I just turned 44 and I would have loved to mix it up with the young guys. Sadly 218 doesn't cut the mustard. I'll be at it again next year after I learn how to get the car rotated better.

At least your forum tag indicates you own the best car ever...although probably not mary kay pink like mine :P. That's a win on it's own!

561220_226204390817505_485939909_n.jpg

TRC_Hunk
I'm curious to know if anyone else shares this opinion.

I'll fully admit that I'm one who is just going along for the ride. I have never dreamed of being a professional race car driver, never raced a car on a race track, and don't even watch racing on tv. The only reason I even play racing games is because I found out I was good at them and I win a ton of cool stuff (over $55,000 in cash and prizes over the last 3 years.) I'm doing this whole thing for the experience because the chance to drive GT-R's and 370z's around Silverstone is the most awesome thing ever. I probably have the slimmest chance of any of actually winning the whole thing, but if I did you better believe I'd be fully committed to being a pro race car driver.

I agree Hunk. I would have enjoyed participating in the finals and even in Silverstone had I made it that far. However, I really don't want to be a professional racecar driver at this point in my life. I have a great job and don't feel like paying to race like most pro racers have to do these days. There aren't that many pro racers that actually get paid to race.

Had this opportunity presented itself to me about 15 years ago I'm sure my perspective would be completely different. I would have probably worked my butt off to make it into the top 32 (if I could have made it).

R1600Turbo
You don't have to pay to race in this situation.

True, just was making a generalization about pro racing. The GT Academy is a tremendous opportunity for 1 skilled racer. 2 racers if you consider Sean Johnston's current success.

True, just was making a generalization about pro racing. The GT Academy is a tremendous opportunity for 1 skilled racer. 2 racers if you consider Sean Johnston's current success.

Sean is a great example of having great determination and the right connections. ;)

I share the same passion with R1600, I started "serious" racing with GTR:2 (PC), Joined a League and followed the F1 calendar, joined GTAcademy last year (80th WestCoast), Joined this year with hopes of making top 32. I've spend a few hundred dollars on mounting my G25 and even a move able monitor mount, started Cycling 30 to 50 miles a week and cut down on food intake.

I swear I was pretty close to the cut off throughout GTA 2012 and figured I would make it. I really underestimated the amount of time needed to go around 8-5. I will be back next year.

Look forward to practicing with you guys! 👍

^^you are going to try for the wildcard event in San Diego, right? If so, I'll probably see you there! :D

@OP;

1. Heh? Doesn't matter if I was the only one competing in my class...for me, racing is racing, you get to experience something people can only dream of (like myself :D). That and you make connections and gain the experience you need to be able to take it to another level, ie. you begin racing in a class with only 2 other people, later you can be in a team racing against 50+ other people.

2. "Kiss some luxuries goodbye" - I don't have much luxuries anyway, lol. I would dedicate my entire life to racing and do that for the rest of my life!!

3. I'd prefer open wheel racing, but really, ANY racing for me would do...you could use it as stepping stones to eventually get you to where you would like to be. :D

I don't know, those are my thoughts. :)

No, you do not need to give up your love life if you have a professional contract. Not all contracts are the same, not everyones life is the same. Just because one person could not manage his relationship does not mean you cant, thats just silly. Plenty of pro drivers are happily married with children. You may be on the road a lot but that does not mean you cannot have a healthy relationship.

GT Academy drivers definitely get to race, they dont just hotlap.

Drifting is a fun to be a part of when you are a pro with a nice contract. I dont think anyone has ever been paid to race professional on a mountain though.

I play another racing game on a different console that does big tourneys once in a while with some pretty badass prizes. I won a trip to see the 24 hour of Le Mans race that was valued at $20,000. Just last March I won a 2012 Hyundai Veloster (MSRP over $18,000) and $8,900 in cash. Won another $2,000 cash in a tourney also sponsored by Hyundai last year. This trip to San Diego or wherever is stated to be worth $3,000 in the the rules. The rest is smaller stuff, i.e. $500 AMX gift card, playseat EVO and Logitech DFGT from last years GT Academy, lots of video games and peripherals.

Man, it seems I've been playing the wrong sim lol... GTA is great and all but I never knew there were prizes like this in other games.

TRC_Hunk

I think I have a slim chance of winning because I have no real life racing experience. However, Im a quick learner and feel like I could excel at racing if given the chance.

I agree with you, those who have been dedicated to making racing their profession and were good enough to qualify for GTA this year will have a HUGE advantage and will be the favorites to win. But I don't think I'm wrong for just wanting to go...I mean, its a once in a lifetime opportunity.

My early pick for the next GTA winner...TRC Scooty!!! Seriously, this dude was born to race. I was almost right about 3wide last year, I'm really hoping I'm right this time. GL BRO!

What sim is that? Who puts on the tournaments?

Just getting an opportunity to drive a proper race car without paying your dues your whole life and without putting up any of your own cash should be considered a once in a lifetime chance to anyone evenly remotely passionate about Motorsports.

Word. Winning this would be the ultimate prize and make those other accomplishments look like small potatoes. I can't think of any greater prize outside of maybe a million dollars.

👍 even a million can't compare.

Nope, money can't replace what's at stake here. This is the end game. Go big or go home. We all are (or should be) ravenous at this point. Yeah, I'm going to have fun no matter what, but I want that #1 spot and I'm not going to leave anything on the table. If I don't get that top spot, I want to sleep well at night knowing I did everything in my power striving for it.

Nope, money can't replace what's at stake here. This is the end game. Go big or go home. We all are (or should be) ravenous at this point. Yeah, I'm going to have fun no matter what, but I want that #1 spot and I'm not going to leave anything on the table. If I don't get that top spot, I want to sleep well at night knowing I did everything in my power striving for it.

Couldn't have put it any better. We all should be on a pretty even playing field skill wise. Its up to want and determination at this part of the game.

I think my original post was taken the wrong way by some, I congratulate those who have qualified and are commited to becoming a racing driver good luck to you all

I gotta vent finally and I'm choosing this thread to do it in.

Man guys, how many times did I go around the track in front of my current fastest ghost only to mess up 1 section or 2 and have to try all over again. About 3000 times. How bad does it suck to figure out EXACTLY what I was doing wrong with rotating the car and exiting when the timer said "1:24". THIS made me sick to my stomach... I figured it out with an hour left...really??? But at least I figured it out.... AND how bad does it suck to have a gf that acts like this was a GAME to me... THIS was no game...not this time. A couple days later and I still don't feel good about this. That last hour of the competition opened my eyes to a new driving style I couldn't figure out 2 weeks earlier. So many times in that last hour I was running faster than ever before. I even set a faster .6xx right away after noticing that I held the brake too long and my rotation was suffering for it. But why did I figure it out with an hour left...whyyyyyy??? The end of this competition has me all tore up...

Edit: I am very NOT ok with not making the top 32.

I gotta vent finally and I'm choosing this thread to do it in. ..why did I figure it out with an hour left...whyyyyyy??? The end of this competition has me all tore up...

Edit: I am very NOT ok with not making the top 32.

Same Here Skinny we where pretty close in time's to each other throughout the tourney You would beat me in some an I would beat you in others.

I figured when you did the 1:31.6XX I would easily be able to match this but I didn't! I really have to hand it to you, you really tried and came out over me on this event. :cheers:

I was stuck at 1:32.270 for a week and was getting more frustrated by the minute, I tried everything in my power to modify my driving style, I ultimately was stuck at Turn 2 with that lonely cone, it was very hard to judge where the turn in point is.

I was sure of making it this year.

Here's to Racer X...

Last edited:
My goal was to gold all events to get the Academy cars for my GT5. I'm a fat old guy and not able to compete in the Academy. Hats off to those that made it!

I will tell you this... I believe that if you've ever driven a GTR Black IRL on a track you'd be addicted to it like crack and would probably change your mind if you had the opportunity to race one. I drove one today and didn't want to get out... The grip, acceleration, and brakes were mind bending.

BTW - The SLS AMG I drove was fast but the brakes were not as good and it took more effort to keep in control... The engine sound while accelerating though was awesome! The GTR sound was pedestrian in comparison.

The only reason i have competed, was to have fun.... I did get lots of it (fun that is) but was not able to qualify for my region, needing 0.5 sec to get there....(127th place) It was my first entrance, and will compete again if i get the chance.

But I also have to admit I learned something out of it 👍 wich can help me in future events or online races. On the other hand, I do question myself that if I would have made it, Nissan would be eager to spent money (cause that is what they do) on a 44 year old guy ????

I still think it was a awsome event, and for talented youngsters it is a way to start RL racing without having to be a multimilionair ;)

U know it was fun in all, i did my best, we all did. but in a whole i am glad that i did not qualify, it would had been nice, but here is a few reasons why GTA would not work out for me even if i did go through.

1. Race contract with Nissan- Sure it would be fun but were would the challenge be in racing? i mean their racing cars are arguably the best handling in their class, thats why the GT-R R32, 33 and 34 are banded from racing. and i was watching the 24h of Nurburgring were the GTA GT-R That was in our DLC was in its OWN class with one other GT-R so it wouldn't dominate its class. idk about the winners or racers in general, but if i wear racing i would want to BE racing, not doing a time trail.

2. Kiss some luxurys goodbye- Hear me out, my friends father raced professionally, and he said if you become a race driver, kiss your GF or wife goodbye, he said unless ur partner is just as dedicated as you are at racing, the relationship wont last. and since i am currently not in a realtionship, it would be hard finding a true partner that "loves you", not your name or money.

3. Style of racing- If anything if i ever wanted to race professionally, i would either prefer Touge or drifting. not GP, GT500 Etc, thats my opinion, but i would mostly likely have the urge to drift all the time i guess. IDK

Share your thoughts on this, Did you do GTA because of the possibility of racing professionally? or just to prove that your faster in a game?

👍 :lol:

Back